ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st March 2020, 03:57 AM   #1
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The SmarterEveryDay Alabama Rocket Factory Tour

If you're at all interested in rockets and space, this 54 minute video will be well worth your the time you spend watching. If you also have a bent for materials science and manfucturing engineering, then doubly so...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2020, 09:47 AM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Cool! Gotta finish watching it a bit later.
Old 1st March 2020, 09:56 AM   #3
crescent
Illuminator

I'll have to watch that when I get a chance. SmarterEveryday caught my attention a few years back with the "Backwards Bicycle", which was pretty interesting.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2020, 01:05 PM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

That was great! I'm going to have to look at some more of his videos. As if I didn't already waste too much time on YouTube!

I kept thinking of the contrast between this and what SpaceX is doing. I like this better.
Old 1st March 2020, 03:56 PM   #5
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Why is it that whenever a person says that this video is great and I agree then I am already a long time subscriber of that channel? This thread is one example.
Old 1st March 2020, 04:01 PM   #6
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I find it hard to see what they do as "better". I rather see it as "different".

What you have to keep in mind is that, out of everything you saw being built in that video, none of it is coming back. Anything that doesn't carry on out of Earth orbit and become lost forever, will be burned up in the atmosphere on re-entry.

They are also playing to a different market from companies like Blue Origin and SpaceX. Its worth noting that the BE4 engine that will power the Vulcan Rocket is manufactured by Blue Origin; yes, they have a competitor in their supply chain!

If you found that video interesting, then you will find his more technical 14 minute follow up on his second channel fascinating. Here he discusses ULA's philosophy, strategy, competitors, some engineering details and a bit of orbital mechanics.

I AGREE

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 1st March 2020 at 04:03 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2020, 04:03 PM   #7
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Why is it that whenever a person says that this video is great and I agree then I am already a long time subscriber of that channel? This thread is one example.
Because, like me, you are intelligent, discerning, and most importantly, a technology and space nerd.

PS: He is one of a small number of Youtubers who get Patreon support from me

Last edited by smartcooky; 1st March 2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 1st March 2020, 04:12 PM   #8
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Because, like me, you are intelligent, discerning, and most importantly, a technology nerd.

PS: He is one of a small number of Youtubers who get Patreon support from me
I support a grand total of one!
Old 1st March 2020, 04:39 PM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I find it hard to see what they do as "better". I rather see it as "different".

What you have to keep in mind is that, out of everything you saw being built in that video, none of it is coming back. Anything that doesn't carry on out of Earth orbit and become lost forever, will be burned up in the atmosphere on re-entry.

They are also playing to a different market from companies like Blue Origin and SpaceX. Its worth noting that the BE4 engine that will power the Vulcan Rocket is manufactured by Blue Origin; yes, they have a competitor in their supply chain!

If you found that video interesting, then you will find his more technical 14 minute follow up on his second channel fascinating. Here he discusses ULA's philosophy, strategy, competitors, some engineering details and a bit of orbital mechanics.

I AGREE
Ok, just watched that. Also very good. Random thoughts:
1. ULA doesn't want to compete in the commercial market, just sell to the US government/military. That's kind of sad.
2. I keep wondering what's going to happen to those government contracts when someone tells POTUS who owns Blue Origin.
3. Centaur. Half the thickness of a dime. It's pressure-stabilized, like the original Atlas. Scott Manley has a video somewhere of what happens when the pressure is lost. Kind of scary to fly people on that.
4. Speaking of flying people, perhaps his partner on that could use some of his help in software validation....

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology