ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags dark matter , quantum , quantum mechanics , tunnel

Old 12th September 2019, 09:55 AM   #521
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pittsburghjoe View Post
A virus width is the line where the object can not go into superposition. Spacetime claims it as its own. No swapping between realms is going to occur.
Most observed viruses have diameters between 20 and 300 nanometers. At that scale, this is a huge range. Did you know that viruses varied so wildly in size, before you made this claim?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 09:55 AM   #522
pittsburghjoe
Banned

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
It's the killer that must make the confession.

So, 'fess up.

Seriously, you are going to make me explain the final panel for a fifth time?
pittsburghjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 09:57 AM   #523
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not going to make you do anything.

I am going to keep asking you about your use of varying values as constants.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 09:59 AM   #524
pittsburghjoe
Banned

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Most observed viruses have diameters between 20 and 300 nanometers. At that scale, this is a huge range. Did you know that viruses varied so wildly in size, before you made this claim?
I'm closer than anyone before me. Take a chill pill.

0.3 μm (micrometers) is what I'm after

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 12th September 2019 at 10:02 AM.
pittsburghjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 10:06 AM   #525
pittsburghjoe
Banned

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
A philosophical failing, then. Nothing actually false about existing theories; You just do not like it.

You wish! So far you have just managed to introduce a magical being. Any theory with magical beings can produce a theory of everything. It is called "God in the gap".
Yes, they are false, I killed them, see previous comments

I'd like to know why you think spacetime is here. That's only part of my theory anyways. You don't get to handwave everything just because of this.

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 12th September 2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12th September 2019, 10:06 AM   #526
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Funny that OP claims to have killed duality by introducing mind-body duality into physics.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 10:07 AM   #527
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

We're talking about science.

You need to "explain" with math.

Your "math" thus far is not in evidence. You can wiggle and squirm away but without math you're just another crackpot.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 10:10 AM   #528
pittsburghjoe
Banned

We're talking about science.

You need to "explain" with math.

Your "math" thus far is not in evidence. You can wiggle and squirm away but without math you're just another crackpot.
okay, for the third time on this. I don't need an equation to replace one that I killed. I don't want it to exist.
Old 12th September 2019, 10:11 AM   #529
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

okay, for the third time on this. I don't need an equation to replace one that I killed. I don't want it to exist.
Then what you're doing isn't physics...
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 10:12 AM   #530
pittsburghjoe
Banned

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Funny that OP claims to have killed duality by introducing mind-body duality into physics.
It doesn't take duality to assign observation

I don't care what you call it.
Old 12th September 2019, 11:07 AM   #531
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Anybody unclear on why this *********** of a "theory" isn't being submitted for peer review?

BStrong is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 11:08 AM   #532
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Anybody unclear on why this *********** of a "theory" isn't being submitted for peer review?
I think in computers or math we'd refer to that as an "empty set" problem.
Old 12th September 2019, 11:12 AM   #533
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
I think in computers or math we'd refer to that as an "empty set" problem.
Well played! if something could be full of empty, this "theory" would be it.

Old 12th September 2019, 02:07 PM   #534
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down "I want told why I'm wrong" lie because he has ignored why he is wrong

I'm here because I want told why I'm wrong ..not Dad jokes
13 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: "I want told why I'm wrong" lie because he has ignored the reasons why he is wrong.

A clear example is the Abbe diffraction limit for light converging to a spot in a refractive medium. He was given what the limit is a week ago and persisted with being wrong. He still thinks it is for everything, e.g. electrons in the double slit experiment!
6 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: There is no "abbe diffraction limit of matter".

He is wrong because he is making statements that are ignorant about physics and worse - refusing to learn the physics he is trying to write about!
The double slit experiment screen is essential to the experiment (not his "does not count") and only involved with wave-particle duality as a detector of the interference or band patterns.
The latest example is an ignorant "QM is pointless" statement when anyone who can Google or read Wikipedia can find the points of QM.

He is wrong because unclear, unsupported fantasies are not science.

Last edited by Reality Check; 12th September 2019 at 02:10 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 02:25 PM   #535
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Usual spacetime and "realm" delusions about a vague "virus width"

A virus width is the line where the object can not go into superposition. Spacetime claims it as its own. No swapping between realms is going to occur.
13 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: Usual spacetime and "realm" delusions about a vague "virus width"

Once again: Spacetime is always there for everything. A photon (massively smaller than a virus ) travels in spacetime from the time it is emitted to the time it is absorbed. An electron (massively smaller than a virus ) travel in spacetime. Ditto for everything in the universe.

Usual fantasy of "swapping between realms". In the real universe there is only one realm - the universe! We have QM which explains everything in the universe except gravity and GR explains describes gravity. QM is the realm of non-gravitational forces of photons to planets, start, etc. QM reduces to classical mechanics at large enough scales. In theory we could use viruses in the double slit experiment and detect an interference pattern but current experimental limits prevent that.

Last edited by Reality Check; 12th September 2019 at 02:26 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 02:29 PM   #536
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Repeats his "they are false, I killed them" lie

Yes, they are false, I killed them, see previous comments....
13 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: Repeats his "they are false, I killed them" lie.
The uncertainty principle is true, alive and well. Wave-particle duality is true, alive and well.
Old 12th September 2019, 02:40 PM   #537
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Quantum physics without any mathematics?

Makes perfect sense

I can't imagine why you are having trouble selling that idea.

I have always thought that the trouble with quantum physics was all that mathematics stuff.

Good luck with that.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 02:44 PM   #538
pittsburghjoe
Banned

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Quantum physics without any mathematics?

Makes perfect sense

I can't imagine why you are having trouble selling that idea.

I have always thought that the trouble with quantum physics was all that mathematics stuff.

Good luck with that.
You would prefer these half right theories to exist for that sweet sweet math
Old 12th September 2019, 02:50 PM   #539
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

If my theory becomes a thing, can we force Reality Check to sport a dunce cap as an avatar?
Your ignorant stories are already a "thing", i.e. ignorant, so maybe you should force yourself to sport a dunce cap as an avatar ?

I am recording the textbook physics that you have not learned, the obvious errors that you have made, and the fantasies that you have written and even some lies. If you want negate that record you need to learn the physics, acknowledge or rebut the errors and fantasies and retract or the lies. You should not just add more evidence of ignorance of physics, errors, fantasies and lies.

Last edited by Reality Check; 12th September 2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12th September 2019, 03:03 PM   #540
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Edited by kmortis:  Removed previously moderated material and response to same

Questions
  1. 6 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: What does your theory predict for the single electron double slit experiment?
    Answer so far: fantasies make no predictions.
  2. 6 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: Quote the single electron double slit experiment part of your original OP.
    Answer so far: The OP is only fantasies that do not mention the single electron double slit experiment
  3. 6 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: Where in your theory are quaternions used (citation or quotation needed) [or say you wasted our time with an irrelevant video]?
    Answer so far: No quaternions because the fabatsies have a single made up equation.
  4. 11 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: Cite the use of only "waves" in the derivation of the uncertainty principle.
    Answer so far: Continuing ignorance about the derivation of the uncertainty principle
6 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: There is no "abbe diffraction limit of matter".
...12 more posts recording ignorance of physics, errors and fantasies...
11 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: A delusion that particles know what is going to be done on them before they are even created!

Last edited by kmortis; 13th September 2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12th September 2019, 03:19 PM   #541
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Yesterday I revolutionised general relativity by killing the Einstein Equation

I killed it by saying some measuring device didn't matter because apparently that is how physics is done.

I don't need anything to replace it cos it was dumb.

Time is the same for all observers.

The detection of gravitational waves proves me right.

Physicists won't accept this cos they hate new physics
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 03:36 PM   #542
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

You would prefer these half right theories to exist for that sweet sweet math
No, I agree with you that there should be no mathematics at all in quantum physics.

Last edited by Robin; 12th September 2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12th September 2019, 03:37 PM   #543
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Yesterday I revolutionised general relativity by killing the Einstein Equation

I killed it by saying some measuring device didn't matter because apparently that is how physics is done.

I don't need anything to replace it cos it was dumb.

Time is the same for all observers.

The detection of gravitational waves proves me right.

Physicists won't accept this cos they hate new physics
Not bad for a start, but needs more cowbell, random mention of Tesla, and assertion that it's the reader's fault that the author's "brilliance" cannot be comprehended.

Meanwhile, waiting for the OP's effort the reach the level of speculation...
Old 12th September 2019, 03:45 PM   #544
pittsburghjoe
Banned

What purpose do duality and uncertainty hold in physics besides giving everyone the wrong idea of how reality works?
Old 12th September 2019, 03:51 PM   #545
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

What purpose do duality and uncertainty hold in physics besides giving everyone the wrong idea of how reality works?
Actually, theories that include duality and uncertainty have proven to be the most predictable, accurate, and productive ideas about how reality works, in all of human history.
Old 12th September 2019, 03:52 PM   #546
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

None whatsoever. It is just the entire basis of quantum physics and who needs that? We should replace the mathematics of quantum physics with arbitrary strings of words they way you are doing.

What has quantum physics ever given us?
Old 12th September 2019, 03:54 PM   #547
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Actually, theories that include duality and uncertainty have proven to be the most predictable, accurate, and productive ideas about how reality works, in all of human history.
This.

Theories that try to do without duality and uncertainty don't give correct answers.

They weren't just added for ***** and giggles, they were added because that's the only way it would work.
Old 12th September 2019, 03:54 PM   #548
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, but apart from the most predictable, accurate and productive idea about how reality works in all of human history ... what has quantum physics ever given us?
Old 12th September 2019, 03:56 PM   #549
pittsburghjoe
Banned

Give me an example where they are necessary ..and I'll show you why they are broken.
Old 12th September 2019, 04:09 PM   #550
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Give me an example where they are necessary ..and I'll show you why they are broken.
They are necessary in all of quantum physics. There is nothing in quantum physics that doesn't depend on them. Take your pick.

Start with the mathematical basis for the double-slit experiment that I cited earlier from the Feynman's book.

It was used to predict when the interference pattern would be lost and it has been borne out experimentally over and over again.

So show me why it is 'broken' and how your "theory" fixes it.

By the way, simply asserting that it is "wrong" and "ridiculous" as you did the first time is not enough.
Old 12th September 2019, 04:17 PM   #551
pittsburghjoe
Banned

You are saying duality has something to do with the double-slit experiment? Is duality stating that the particle swaps in flight?

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 12th September 2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12th September 2019, 04:21 PM   #552
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

You are saying duality has something to do with the double-slit experiment?
Of course it does. It has to do with everything in quantum physics.
Quote:
Is duality stating that the partial swaps in flight?
No of course it isn't stating that.

I explained the whole thing several times.

But how can I explain it to you if you don't think there should be any mathematics in quantum physics?
Old 12th September 2019, 04:22 PM   #553
pittsburghjoe
Banned

I don't need duality to explain anything to do with the double slit.
Old 12th September 2019, 04:32 PM   #554
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

I don't need duality to explain anything to do with the double slit.
So how do you derive the probability that a particle will arrive at a particular location on the back panel?
Old 12th September 2019, 04:33 PM   #555
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Feynman devised this version of the double slit experiment in order to show what wave-particle duality means and how the uncertainty principle works.
Old 12th September 2019, 04:36 PM   #556
pittsburghjoe
Banned

Waves are allowed to be waves and work with the wave function.

You dare bring up that back panel!? haha Wave collapse is hardly a purpose to bring up duality.
Old 12th September 2019, 04:37 PM   #557
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

This version of the double-slit experiment is literally Feynman's teaching aid to help him teach people about wave/particle duality and the uncertainty principle.
Old 12th September 2019, 04:38 PM   #558
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

You dare bring up that back panel!? haha Wave collapse is hardly a purpose to bring up duality.
Thank you for the evasive fatuous bluster.

Now to my question:

Quote:
So how do you derive the probability that a particle will arrive at a particular location on the back panel?
Old 12th September 2019, 04:41 PM   #559
pittsburghjoe
Banned

You derive it from the wave function because it has to be a wave while traveling. No need to know that it could have been physical if it was observed.

You wouldn't have probabilities if it was observed.

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 12th September 2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12th September 2019, 04:42 PM   #560
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

The wave function relies on both particle and wave properties. It also depends upon the uncertainty principle.

So if you killed those you killed the wave function.

So you can't use that.

So how do you do it without the wave function?

Last edited by Robin; 12th September 2019 at 04:43 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology