ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags dark matter , quantum , quantum mechanics , tunnel

Old 12th September 2019, 07:39 PM   #641
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by pittsburghjoe View Post
It's "the man" keepin' me down
Well, I'm sure god will richly reward you for your martyrdom.
Old 12th September 2019, 07:45 PM   #642
pittsburghjoe
Banned

I've got a new argument for the final panel (I edited in up above):

If what matters is if the wave changes state while alive. Placing a detector in the path is just one of several avenues to cause observation (state change). Observation can be equated to state change now.

A wave changing state from a detector must be different than a wave collapsing on the final panel!

aka ..F your final panel ..it's the death of the wave

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 12th September 2019 at 08:18 PM.
pittsburghjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 07:51 PM   #643
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down A "new argument" fantasy when all he wrote was more vague fantasy

I've got a new argument ...
13 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: A "new argument" fantasy when all he wrote was more vague fantasy
With an "alive" fantasy - a wave is not a living thing!
And "changes state" ignorance. A wave has no "state", it has continuous properties not discreet properties.
Plus: Idiocy that a detector is not a detector! The screen that detects particles in the double slit experiment is a detector. We can put that screen "in the path" as "one of several avenues to cause observation" as he puts it. The screen is blatantly a detector.

Last edited by Reality Check; 12th September 2019 at 08:16 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 08:08 PM   #644
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

I've got a new argument for the final panel (I edited in up above):

If what matters is if the wave changes state while alive. Placing a detector in the path is just one of several avenues to cause observation (state change). Observation can be equated to state change now.

A wave changing state from a detector must be different than a wave collapsing on the final panel!

aka ..F your final panel
Do you have an argument that applies to any actual quantum physics?
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 08:17 PM   #645
pittsburghjoe
Banned

Oh, you are saying the final panel doesn't matter. YAY!
pittsburghjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 08:32 PM   #646
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down A "Oh, you are saying the final panel doesn't matter." lie

13 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: A "Oh, you are saying the final panel doesn't matter." lie

The last post is not about the double slit experiment screen.
My post of 13 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: A "new argument" fantasy when all he wrote was more vague fantasy plus detectors delusion clearly states that the screen is a detector and is essential for detecting particles ! The fact that the screen can be moved anywhere in the apparatus to detect particles emphasizes that it is a detector. ETA: The screen is a detector that gives us ether an interference pattern or 2 bands. It matters. What also matters in the double slit experiment is whether the silts are observed or not because that produces the results we see.

Last edited by Reality Check; 12th September 2019 at 09:40 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 08:47 PM   #647
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

It is what I have been saying over and over for many pages.

I have been asking you for ages why you think it ought to matter and for what.

You think you have "killed" something based on your misunderstanding of the double-slit experiment. A misunderstanding which has been pointed out to you time and time again.

Remember the last time this was pointed out to you, you said "Jesus, I give up". Remember?

The back panel is there to detect the particles. That is all

The probability that a particle would be in that particular location is not changed by the fact of the back panel.

There might be variants of the experiment where the back panel does have an effect on the probability that the particle will be at a particular place. But not this one.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 08:48 PM   #648
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

You keep on saying "the back panel doesn't matter" without you having the slightest idea of what this is supposed to prove.
Old 12th September 2019, 08:50 PM   #649
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

So please try to explain. What is "the back panel doesn't matter" supposed to prove?
Old 12th September 2019, 08:51 PM   #650
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

You are crossing the line to troll now
It seems a pretty harmless and uncontroversial question.
Old 12th September 2019, 09:07 PM   #651
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

It's "the man" keepin' me down
Do you have a link to the paper you tried to upload to arXiv. Can you describe your experience when you tried to upload it?
Old 12th September 2019, 09:53 PM   #652
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

I had never thought it possible.
A theory that make the Electric Universe seems well worked out and coherent, but here it is.

I wonder why people who are unable to do maths always seem to think you can do science without it.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 10:30 PM   #653
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser
I wonder why people who are unable to do maths always seem to think you can do science without it.
He's had divine inspiration .....as he posted on another forum.

http://forum.objectivismonline.com/i...comment-360429

Objectivism Online Forum (August 2019)
Originally Posted by Misterswig
Is god a physical object or a wave?
Originally Posted by pittsburghjoe
God is able to exist in both
Originally Posted by Misterswig
At the same time? Or at different times
Originally Posted by pittsburghjoe
It created spacetime, it can do whatever the f it wants..... We don't have another reason for spacetime to exist.......The purpose of spacetime is life. At the very least, god wanted life to be a thing..
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 10:32 PM   #654
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Interesting. I wonder why Joe didn't take the religious approach here.
Old 13th September 2019, 02:50 AM   #655
steenkh
Philosopher

Yes, they are false, I killed them, see previous comments
I have sen your previous comments: no actual flaw has been found in physics, only your dislike of it. By a flaw, we mean something that does not work

Quote:
I'd like to know why you think spacetime is here. That's only part of my theory anyways. You don't get to handwave everything just because of this.
Physics does not answer "why" questions. For the "why", you need to turn to philosophy, or religion.

Personally, I do not care why spacetime is here, I just note that it is.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2019, 05:17 AM   #656
pittsburghjoe
Banned

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
You think you have "killed" something based on your misunderstanding of the double-slit experiment. A misunderstanding which has been pointed out to you time and time again.
What am I misunderstanding? I take great offense to this. I know the double slit inside n out.

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
You keep on saying "the back panel doesn't matter" without you having the slightest idea of what this is supposed to prove.
It kills uncertainty. Uncertainty involves waves. My theory says a particle is not physical and waves at the same time, uncertainty does. You have to use the back panel in an uncertainty experiment. Fringes mean a wave was involved and the particles were not observed during its life.

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 13th September 2019 at 05:18 AM.
Old 13th September 2019, 05:25 AM   #657
pittsburghjoe
Banned

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Interesting. I wonder why Joe didn't take the religious approach here.
I am the second coming. I didn't want to be a name dropper.
Old 13th September 2019, 05:32 AM   #658
Kid Eager
Philosopher

I am the second coming. I didn't want to be a name dropper.
That's too long to be a decent band name.
Old 13th September 2019, 05:37 AM   #659
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Why do physics crackpots always think that they don't need mathematics to reshape the laws of physics, that a bit of intuition, mysticism and word salad will do?

It's a cargo cult version of theoretical physics.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2019, 05:43 AM   #660
pittsburghjoe
Banned

I'm upgrading my theory as this thread is moving along. I'm now questioning if it's even necessary to declare observation is involved in the double slit. It's accepted that observation means measurement ..but all the experiment cares about is a waves state change while its alive.
Old 13th September 2019, 05:49 AM   #661
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

How would you know whether or not a state change occurred without observation? How would one design an experiment without measurement?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2019, 05:53 AM   #662
pittsburghjoe
Banned

Observation would just be something that occurred after the experiment was over.

I think a polarizer isn't measuring anything.

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 13th September 2019 at 06:02 AM.
Old 13th September 2019, 06:07 AM   #663
pittsburghjoe
Banned

If I didn't just blow everyone's minds right now ..are you even paying attention?
Old 13th September 2019, 06:14 AM   #664
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Again: spouting word salad and patting yourself on the back isn't impressing anyone.
Physics doesn't consist of stringing brain farts together until they feel nice.
Show us your formulas, your calculations and experimental designs if you want to impress someone.

ETA:
Observation would just be something that occurred after the experiment was over.
Thus making it part of the experiment...

Last edited by Porpoise of Life; 13th September 2019 at 06:15 AM.
Old 13th September 2019, 06:16 AM   #665
pittsburghjoe
Banned

It isn't word salad. It means something.
Edited by kmortis:  1) Removed to comply with Rule 0, 10, & 12; 2) In the future, just type out bad words and let the autocensor deal with them.

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post

ETA:

Thus making it part of the experiment...
You're reaching. It didn't have anything to do with the outcome.

Last edited by kmortis; 13th September 2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old 13th September 2019, 06:19 AM   #666
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Sure, just like "I can build the tallest skyscraper in the world with nothing but mud bricks" means something.
But architects and engineers will ask to see my designs and calculations before they accept that I really can. They won't throw money at me for being an obvious genius.
Old 13th September 2019, 06:22 AM   #667
pittsburghjoe
Banned

You act like no one is interested in what is really going on during the experiment.
Old 13th September 2019, 06:24 AM   #668
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

You don't appear to be interested, since you refuse to do the math...
Old 13th September 2019, 06:26 AM   #669
pittsburghjoe
Banned

I don't need math to point out the obvious
Old 13th September 2019, 06:28 AM   #670
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Sure, common sense intuitive solutions and an aversion to math are fundamental attributes of quantum mechanics.
Old 13th September 2019, 06:32 AM   #671
pittsburghjoe
Banned

I agree, everyone is better off if they don't know about this.

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 13th September 2019 at 06:44 AM.
Old 13th September 2019, 06:47 AM   #672
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

If I didn't just blow everyone's minds right now ..are you even paying attention?
I told you the polariser isn't measuring anything a while back. Am I supposed to have my mind blown by you repeating back something I said?
Old 13th September 2019, 06:58 AM   #673
pittsburghjoe
Banned

oh, you knew my theory before I did, cool
Old 13th September 2019, 07:04 AM   #674
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

We have seen your schtick before as well.

Poster: "Behold my genius!"

Questioner: "How did you get there?"

Poster: "If you think I'll explain my genius to the likes of you..."

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2019, 07:06 AM   #675
pittsburghjoe
Banned

Oh, you are asking me to dumb it down for you. Let me get right on that.
Old 13th September 2019, 07:21 AM   #676
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

It's already more than dumb enough for us, we need you to intelligent it up.
Old 13th September 2019, 07:32 AM   #677
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

It is just a commonplace fact about what a polariser does.
Old 13th September 2019, 07:37 AM   #678
pittsburghjoe
Banned

It is not currently accepted that a polariser isn't observation.
Old 13th September 2019, 07:40 AM   #679
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

It is not currently accepted that a polariser isn't observation.
Yes it is. Because all the particles that are observed by the polariser are the ones that interacted with it and got stopped. A particle that got through didn't interact with the filter so by definition was undetected by it.
Old 13th September 2019, 07:43 AM   #680
pittsburghjoe
Banned

oh so you believe observation isn't involved in the double slit all of a sudden. cool

Those stopped particles died.

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 13th September 2019 at 07:45 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology