ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ghosts

Old 12th February 2020, 08:09 PM   #441
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
And I suppose the concucombine is how you all harvest your grain crops.
We go camping in our concucombie.
Old 12th February 2020, 08:35 PM   #442
Pope130
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
We go camping in our concucombie.

Powered, no doubt, by a concucombustion engine.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 08:38 PM   #443
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Very astute, mister Axxman300. 10 points to Griffindor.
Also, ghosts are transparent.

Not the ones that look like bed sheets.
Old 12th February 2020, 08:42 PM   #444
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
Powered, no doubt, by a concucombustion engine.
We hacked it. It's now conculectric!
Old 13th February 2020, 05:43 PM   #445
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
[/hilite]

Not the ones that look like bed sheets.
I had an experience recently that made me think about how people may end up believing in spirits/ghosts.

I have always had vivid dreams and also was able to control dreams and lucid dream when I was young. I dream frequently and with that comes quite a number of sleep paralysis events. As such, I'm quite used to dealing with sleep interruptions.

The other night, about 3ish, I heard a very distinct voice in my ear say, "Wake up [EHocking]". I didn't recognise the voice and it was clear enough to wake me.

My wife was not home that night, so I had the place to myself.
I put my phone in sleep mode, so no interruptions from that.

I've experienced similar voices in my ear like this while dreaming (or in a dream state), so while it is a little unsettling at the time, such occurrances really don't phase me much. I wake up, realise it was just a dream and then go back to sleep.

After the last "voice in my head", a thought occurred that this sort of thing could cause some people to become upset and confused.
I'm a fairly rational, logical person and have no inklings of spiritual/religious tendencies, but I can see how such an experience could affect people with a superstitious nature, or even just someone who has never experienced this sort of thing before.

Perhaps this inclination toward superstition back in "less enlightened" times in history had some influence on a general acceptance of ghostly visits?
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 06:39 PM   #446
Jodie
Philosopher

I don't know about apparitions but some really weird stuff that I've discussed on here before has happened to me. The weirdest incident was finding my grandmother's lost dentures in the flush mount ceiling light fixture of her bedroom. I still can't figure out how they got into the light cover.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 07:09 PM   #447
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I don't know about apparitions but some really weird stuff that I've discussed on here before has happened to me. The weirdest incident was finding my grandmother's lost dentures in the flush mount ceiling light fixture of her bedroom. I still can't figure out how they got into the light cover.
Human agency obviously.

Someone thought it was a good idea at the time.

Good luck finding out who.
Old 17th February 2020, 03:26 PM   #448
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Human agency obviously.

Someone thought it was a good idea at the time.

Good luck finding out who.
The only human's in the house were me, a 72 year old woman, and a 94 year old woman. I didn't do it and the other two couldn't balance or climb anything to put it up there. The mystery remains unsolved.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 03:46 PM   #449
Steve
Philosopher

The only human's in the house were me, a 72 year old woman, and a 94 year old woman. I didn't do it and the other two couldn't balance or climb anything to put it up there. The mystery remains unsolved.
Was one of those two women your grandmother? Sounds like they were lost and then found fairly quickly. Why did you look in the light fixture?
Old 17th February 2020, 06:09 PM   #450
showmevegas
Scholar

Well obviously it was very balanced, agile,light fixture denture hiding non human something...
showmevegas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2020, 05:50 AM   #451
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
I had an experience recently that made me think about how people may end up believing in spirits/ghosts.

I have always had vivid dreams and also was able to control dreams and lucid dream when I was young. I dream frequently and with that comes quite a number of sleep paralysis events. As such, I'm quite used to dealing with sleep interruptions.

The other night, about 3ish, I heard a very distinct voice in my ear say, "Wake up [EHocking]". I didn't recognise the voice and it was clear enough to wake me.

My wife was not home that night, so I had the place to myself.
I put my phone in sleep mode, so no interruptions from that.

I've experienced similar voices in my ear like this while dreaming (or in a dream state), so while it is a little unsettling at the time, such occurrances really don't phase me much. I wake up, realise it was just a dream and then go back to sleep.

After the last "voice in my head", a thought occurred that this sort of thing could cause some people to become upset and confused.
I'm a fairly rational, logical person and have no inklings of spiritual/religious tendencies, but I can see how such an experience could affect people with a superstitious nature, or even just someone who has never experienced this sort of thing before.

Perhaps this inclination toward superstition back in "less enlightened" times in history had some influence on a general acceptance of ghostly visits?
There's a state between sleeping and waking called HypnagogiaWP when you can experience dreams remarkably lucidly. I've only experienced it a few times but I clearly recall one where someone was speaking to me, I woke up and scoured the room to find them as "they were right there, dammit". Then I realized.
Old 27th February 2020, 08:53 PM   #452
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Was one of those two women your grandmother? Sounds like they were lost and then found fairly quickly. Why did you look in the light fixture?
Yes, my grandmother who had dementia. I was changing her sheets and happened to glance up at the light fixture and saw a "U" shape inside the glass. I didn't know what it was so I got a chair and unscrewed the light cover and there was her missing dentures. The dentures had been missing for a few weeks, we just figured she misplaced them, and that they would eventually turn up.
Old 27th February 2020, 08:54 PM   #453
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yes, my grandmother who had dementia.
There's your answer. Your grandmother put them there. People with dementia do strange things for no particularly apparent reason.
Old 27th February 2020, 09:01 PM   #454
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
There's your answer. Your grandmother put them there. People with dementia do strange things for no particularly apparent reason.
They do, but she wasn't able to get up stairs without assistance, I just can't see her climbing on anything to put them up in the light fixture. If she did do it, I never figured out how she managed it without falling and breaking a hip or her neck.
Old 27th February 2020, 09:15 PM   #455
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Yes, my grandmother who had dementia. I was changing her sheets and happened to glance up at the light fixture and saw a "U" shape inside the glass. I didn't know what it was so I got a chair and unscrewed the light cover and there was her missing dentures. The dentures had been missing for a few weeks, we just figured she misplaced them, and that they would eventually turn up.

And they did turn up.

A light bulb in the fixture had burned out. Someone asked X to replace the bulb. X took down the cover, grandmother put dentures in the cover, X replace the cover without noticing the dentures.

The next few weeks were spent looking for the dentures ... until you saw them.
Old 27th February 2020, 09:17 PM   #456
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

They do, but she wasn't able to get up stairs without assistance, I just can't see her climbing on anything to put them up in the light fixture. If she did do it, I never figured out how she managed it without falling and breaking a hip or her neck.
She may have tossed them.
Old 28th February 2020, 01:24 PM   #457
Axxman300
Illuminator

Sounds like the light burned out and while someone was replacing the bulb your grandmother figured the light cover was a bowl and put her dentures in. Assuming you were not the person replacing the lightbulb there's a good chance that the one who did the work was not comfortable around your grandmother and just wanted to fix the situation and get out of there. My mom is in the early stages of dementia and it is no fun. I also find things in places that I ASSUME she cannot get to but somehow manages to reach.

When I was a ghost hunter stories of moving objects drove me nuts. Here's the list:

1 - Doors. Doors are on hinges and if not properly hung or if the building has shifted they will open and close on their own.

2 - Anything on wheels.

3 - Small, easily held objects which allegedly vanish only to reappear in another room or closet or drawer which the person making the claim swears they never were in or use frequently. This one is common with people who think their house or workplace is haunted. First off, anyone who's ever knocked something off the night stand at 2AM knows that no matter what you dropped it has landed somewhere that you're going to have to make an effort to reach. Next, when you "lose" your car keys it's because you put them down somewhere other than the place you reflexively place them because you had to attend to an immediate situation which required most of your mental focus.

I'm a guitar player and I still find picks in places I swear Id' never had one out, but as they tend to live in my back pocket they like to escape on laundry day and family members picked them up and left them elsewhere.

Just once I'd like to see a report of a piano moving to a different room by itself in the dead of night.
Old 28th February 2020, 01:55 PM   #458
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Drafts will also move doors and things on wheels.

Also, in our house, if h Th he front door isn’t completely close (pushed shut but not matched) opening the back door can make it swing open due to pressure changes.

So many things that aren’t considered, like cows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28th February 2020, 06:19 PM   #459
Steve001
Graduate Poster

They can do things you would not expect they can. Remember, the inhibitions normally functioning people have is greatly diminished. When my wife's mom had dementia she did a somersault onto her bed, something she would never have attempted before.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 10:11 PM   #460
Jodie
Philosopher

Well, it was odd to say the least, it's been so long ago now that I can't remember if we changed the bulb in that room or not prior to her dentures going missing. I've seen little old women knock full grown men out working in the hospital so I guess it's possible that she climbed up there and slipped them over the edge of the glass, who knows?
Old 29th February 2020, 03:29 AM   #461
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Well, it was odd to say the least, it's been so long ago now that I can't remember if we changed the bulb in that room or not prior to her dentures going missing. I've seen little old women knock full grown men out working in the hospital so I guess it's possible that she climbed up there and slipped them over the edge of the glass, who knows?
If it wasn't your relative who put the dentures there?
Old 1st March 2020, 07:31 PM   #462
carrps
Thinker

Auditory "spirits" are what I've mostly experienced. I used to think I heard the phone ringing when I was in the shower. All the damn time. This was back when I was on call-out, and I was stressed about it. Now that I'm retired I don't notice this 1/10th as much.

We don't have a/c so when it's hot I have a fan running in my bedroom. It's amazing how much, at certain angles, the hum of the fan sounds like people carrying on a conversation. It feels like if you really concentrated you could understand what was being said. But then you turn your head to a different angle, and the "conversation" -- poof -- goes away. It's a cool phenomenon.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 08:14 AM   #463
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Drafts will also move doors and things on wheels.

Also, in our house, if h Th he front door isn’t completely close (pushed shut but not matched) opening the back door can make it swing open due to pressure changes.

So many things that aren’t considered, like cows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL, in my former abode, due to prevailing winds, if one opened the back door and afterward the front, the back door would slam shut. And vice versa.

My youngest found that out the hard way by shattering the window on the back door.

She had a brown hemorrhage. But it never happened again.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 01:58 PM   #464
AmyW
Thinker

Hello All, hope you are all staying safe.

Can I ask, there are images/pictures of ghosts that show ghosts.... How do we explain this, surely these images are evidence of ghosts and them existing? I really wonder exactly what ghosts even are?
AmyW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 02:03 PM   #465
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
Can I ask, there are images/pictures of ghosts that show ghosts.... How do we explain this, surely these images are evidence of ghosts and them existing? I really wonder exactly what ghosts even are?
There are pictures that show something. Your imagination supplies the rest.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 02:18 PM   #466
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Ghosts *are* the explanation.

You see something in a photo you can't explain. Maybe it's an in-camera optical effect. Maybe it's a trick of the light. Maybe it's... Ghosts?

Ghosts aren't something you explain, because there's no evidence that ghosts actually exist. You explain gravity. You explain color. You explain headaches. You explain optical illusions. You explain fusion processes in the core of the sun.

You don't explain ghosts. You use "ghosts" to explain other things. What causes fusion processes in the core of the sun? Maybe it's gravity and quantum mechanics. Maybe it's ghosts. But probably it's gravity and quantum mechanics. Because we know those things exist and have explanatory power. Ghosts? Not so much.

You can't explain something without first showing that it exists and needs to be explained.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 02:33 PM   #467
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Sure. Here is a pic of two ghosts in my hallway.

Can you explain those?

ETA: I should explain. I took that photograph, that is (or was, I have move twice since then) my hallway at the time, I know who those figures are, and I know that they were present in that place and at that time and in that photograph. No photoshop or similar was used to manipulate it beyond cropping it for size.

...love and buttercakes...

Last edited by abaddon; 18th March 2020 at 02:44 PM.
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 03:50 PM   #468
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Those images don't show ghosts. They show other, perfectly normal things that people think look like ghosts. And that's not even counting those that have been deliberately manipulated.
Old 18th March 2020, 03:59 PM   #469
AmyW
Thinker

Thank you so far for your replies. What about the images you find online? Are they fake or something?
AmyW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 04:01 PM   #470
AmyW
Thinker

What do you guys think to the link below -
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ins...s-2018-3%3famp
Old 18th March 2020, 04:23 PM   #471
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Thank you so far for your replies. What about the images you find online? Are they fake or something?http://www.internationalskeptics.com...2a7c073be5.jpghttp://www.internationalskeptics.com...2a7d612b3b.jpg
Yes.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 04:51 PM   #472
Steve
Philosopher

Thank you so far for your replies. What about the images you find online? Are they fake or something?http://www.internationalskeptics.com...2a7c073be5.jpghttp://www.internationalskeptics.com...2a7d612b3b.jpg
Yes.
Old 18th March 2020, 04:53 PM   #473
Steve
Philosopher

Double exposures, intentional fakes, and very poor photography.
Old 18th March 2020, 05:44 PM   #474
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Cheesy clickbait from a media outlet that isn't your friend and isn't trying to inform you, but rather just wants you to see their ads.

If I can't see the photos without turning off my ad-blocker, then I figure they're probably not ghosts. Because if they really were ghosts, all the reputable scientists would be falling all over each other trying to explain them, and the world would be full of freely-available* information about them.

---
*I.e., not information that you have to look at some ads in order to get. Do you think if Business Insider really believed they had evidence of ghosts on their hands, they'd make you look at ads before they let you see it? That's the behavior of a charlatan, not a scientist.

Last edited by theprestige; 18th March 2020 at 05:46 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2020, 06:11 PM   #475
Steve
Philosopher

How do we explain ghosts?

Reasonable people explain them as ‘not ghosts’.
Old 19th March 2020, 07:14 PM   #476
Axxman300
Illuminator

All of the photos on that link you posted have been debunked, all are fakes.

Let me walk you through it from my field experience...

East Garrison is the oldest part of Fort Ord, California. The Army used the area as a bivouac area for the 76th FA to shoot Howitzers from before WWI until Camp Ord became Fort Ord in 1940. The area saw construction to house the men of the WPA who would build the original base over near Highway 1. Later it was home for ROTC students and later German POW's.

This building began life as a storage depot:

Nobody died in this building to my knowledge. From 2000 until 2006 I entered over 300 abandoned buildings on the base in search of murals to photograph before the structures were demolished. I wasn't there to hunt ghosts at first but the abandoned base became the perfect laboratory to develop a neutral base of knowledge. Out of those 300 buildings I would only have strange occurrences in a handful.

This building had no explainable activity nor did it have a "vibe" or give off any uncomfortable feelings (other than having to be careful where I stepped as to not go through the floor). The weird this was that this building was the only one where I got anomalous photographs.

Here are two:

This one was taken on 35mm film with a disposable camera (take note of this detail) as I was simply burning through the last exposures so I could drop it off at the drug store for processing. I didn't see the streak of light when I took the picture but it is definitely on the negative.

This one was taken about 2 years later, again with a disposable 35mm.

Were I a less than ethical ghost hunter I would play these up as ghost photos. This building was the only location on the entire base where I got these unusual pictures. East Garrison has a reputation for being haunted which dates back to the 1970's while the base was operational. The building sits next to the site where the first death at Fort Ord occurred in 1941. Before the Army bought the land East Garrison was home to the Whitcher family (great name, right?) who lost six children to the Spanish Flu at the turn of the century. They are still buried there.

I could play all of that up into marketable woo if I wanted to...

...but I didn't. I kept working the problem. Over the years I took around sixty pictures inside of that building and I only got three. I took around two hundred and fifty pictures around the base using the disposable Kodak 35mm cameras and got nothing unusual even in the weird buildings. Eventually I figured it out.

That second photo was just bad film. It happens.

The streak of light in the first photo is a result of a cheap camera and cheap-but-high tech flash wherein the sequence is designed to remove red-eye. If I had a good camera I would have got a full orb caused by the misalignment or mis-timing of the flash and shutter.

The last time I went into the building I had my Canon DSLR and took 70 pictures and got noting but high resolution photos of an empty building.

As far as I'm concerned even if ghosts are real they don't show up on camera.
Old 19th March 2020, 08:26 PM   #477
curious cat
Critical Thinker

As for anecdotal experiences: about 30 years ago I by some weird circumstances ended up spending night in an old farmhouse in the remote rural Australia. A widowed farmer who lived there told me, that nobody has entered the room in which his wife lived for 40 years. He got my undivided attentions and after a few more shots of Scotch the farmer agreed to open it for me. What I saw just took my breath away: the old furniture in the room was covered wall to wall by a spider web like a trampoline thick as a blanket. Scene like from an Indiana Jones movie, only MUCH better. I asked for permission and made a number of pictures with my SLR camera.
After arriving back to civilisation, I couldn't wait to have the film developed. I opened the camera - and there was NO FILM in it! I am an experienced photographer and this never happened to me before or after. Ghosts! :-)

Last edited by curious cat; 19th March 2020 at 09:34 PM.
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2020, 11:58 PM   #478
Tassman
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by curious cat View Post
As for anecdotal experiences: about 30 years ago I by some weird circumstances ended up spending night in an old farmhouse in the remote rural Australia. A widowed farmer who lived there told me, that nobody has entered the room in which his wife lived for 40 years. He got my undivided attentions and after a few more shots of Scotch the farmer agreed to open it for me. What I saw just took my breath away: the old furniture in the room was covered wall to wall by a spider web like a trampoline thick as a blanket. Scene like from an Indiana Jones movie, only MUCH better. I asked for permission and made a number of pictures with my SLR camera.
After arriving back to civilisation, I couldn't wait to have the film developed. I opened the camera - and there was NO FILM in it! I am an experienced photographer and this never happened to me before or after. Ghosts! :-)
Absolutely. It just screams "supernatural".
Old 20th March 2020, 03:53 AM   #479
catsmate
No longer the 1

Thank you so far for your replies. What about the images you find online? <drivel snip>
Seriously? Long debunked fakes are the best you have?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 06:47 AM   #480
Lithrael
Graduate Poster

Does anyone have any really good spooky ‘real ghost’ movies? Like the stuff they’d show you five seconds of in hour long tv spooky ghost docos in the 80’s? I remember one that was like, a light going down a staircase. I’d love to see some vintage spooky. I don’t care if it’s really a moth but I don’t mean the more obviously staged stuff or the ‘definitely nobody out of frame just threw this’ variety, but nice good spooky footage.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal