ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ghosts

Reply
Old 20th March 2020, 07:10 AM   #481
Tolls
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 5,158
Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
Hello All, hope you are all staying safe.

Can I ask, there are images/pictures of ghosts that show ghosts.... How do we explain this, surely these images are evidence of ghosts and them existing? I really wonder exactly what ghosts even are?
I've seen photos of fairies in a back garden.
Fairies are therefore real.

I hope you can see the flaw.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 07:23 AM   #482
steenkh
Philosopher
 
steenkh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denmark
Posts: 6,012
Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
That second photo was just bad film. It happens.
It does indeed, and I would say it was a streak of false light that came unto the film while it was being wound.

Quote:
The streak of light in the first photo is a result of a cheap camera and cheap-but-high tech flash wherein the sequence is designed to remove red-eye. If I had a good camera I would have got a full orb caused by the misalignment or mis-timing of the flash and shutter.
In this case it looks to me like the film has kinks. When you hold the undeveloped film in one end, and accidentally twist it, a characteristic fold looking like a sickle can appear in the celluloid. The silver grains develop as if they had been exposed to light, but I do not know by which process. When I was young and developed my own negatives, I sometimes (fortunately rarely) saw these sickle-formed marks, and I could see that they were exactly where the kinks were on the film.
__________________
Steen

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 01:47 PM   #483
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,634
Orbs are floating dust, insects, hair etc near the lens when using cameras with onboard flash. Pareidolia, misinterpretation and fakes cover the rest.
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 03:11 PM   #484
AmyW
Thinker
 
AmyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 172
Thanks guys, it's reassuring to hear they are fake :-)

Isn't it scary with the virus, here in the UK it appears we will be ok lockdown soon
AmyW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 03:19 PM   #485
AmyW
Thinker
 
AmyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 172
Thank you. In all of your experience have you found any evidence that ghosts exists and or has a scientist come up with any concrete proof that they exist? I hope not!
AmyW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 03:55 PM   #486
curious cat
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 373
Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
It does indeed, and I would say it was a streak of false light that came unto the film while it was being wound.


In this case it looks to me like the film has kinks. When you hold the undeveloped film in one end, and accidentally twist it, a characteristic fold looking like a sickle can appear in the celluloid. The silver grains develop as if they had been exposed to light, but I do not know by which process. When I was young and developed my own negatives, I sometimes (fortunately rarely) saw these sickle-formed marks, and I could see that they were exactly where the kinks were on the film.
It is nice to see there is somebody but me who remembers "film"! :-)
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 04:25 PM   #487
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,634
Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
Thank you. In all of your experience have you found any evidence that ghosts exists and or has a scientist come up with any concrete proof that they exist? I hope not!
No. Really just no. Proof is for mathmatics, but if anyone came up with strong evidence for anything that could reasonably be called a ghost it would jump out of the scientific journals and on to the front pages. Not to mention being discussed here.
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 05:01 PM   #488
Axxman300
Illuminator
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 4,685
Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
Thank you. In all of your experience have you found any evidence that ghosts exists and or has a scientist come up with any concrete proof that they exist? I hope not!
The short answer is this:

If you're asking if spirits of the dead walk among us, haunting places where they lived or died - the answer is NO.

If you are asking if there are conditions; atmospheric, and enviro-physiological which can allow people to see or hear someone who is not there the answer is Yes.

Simply put, if you believe in ghosts you will see them.

In 120 years of serious parapsychology research there has been no evidence that ghosts exist.
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 06:26 PM   #489
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 94,178
Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
Hello All, hope you are all staying safe.

Can I ask, there are images/pictures of ghosts that show ghosts.... How do we explain this, surely these images are evidence of ghosts and them existing? I really wonder exactly what ghosts even are?
I can show you a picture of Rivendell, doesn't mean it is something that exists in the real world.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 09:47 PM   #490
Axxman300
Illuminator
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 4,685
Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
Does anyone have any really good spooky ‘real ghost’ movies? Like the stuff they’d show you five seconds of in hour long tv spooky ghost docos in the 80’s? I remember one that was like, a light going down a staircase. I’d love to see some vintage spooky. I don’t care if it’s really a moth but I don’t mean the more obviously staged stuff or the ‘definitely nobody out of frame just threw this’ variety, but nice good spooky footage.
I plan to make a post about how people can talk themselves into thinking something other-worldly is happening using Youtube videos.

This is an example:

This channel is WW2 History Hunter, he doesn't believe in ghosts. He makes videos of his adventures running around old German gun emplacements and outposts and bunkers with his metal detector where he digs up artifacts from the war. It is very entertaining. His channel is devoid of paranormal content.

This first video is from 2016, he goes into some thick woods looking for a flak gun emplacement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eC7ua0KFxU&t=601s

This video is mostly him digging up shrapnel and bullet cases, but early on he mentions that the forest is "creepy", and this sets up what happens later. At the 8:40 mark he talks about feeling like he's being watched, and goes to investigate but finds nothing. He returns to digging things up and the video ends.

Driven by the comments section he returns to the site. He still doesn't believe in ghosts but gets sucked into looking for anomalies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDCBg68sGQ8&t=9s

At the 8:19 mark he's going frame-by-frame with his GoPro and in ONE frame there is a glitch and instead of chalking it up to digital technology he labels it as "weird". At 13:58 he talks about feeling like he's not alone. Still, he returns to digging up stuff instead of freaking out.

Good for him.

This week he let himself be talked into returning to the forest with trail cameras to catch possible paranormal activity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmMMK9KvJQY&t=1156s

Right off the bat he is "surrounded" by a half-dozen toads and he's cheeky about it. He sets up his cameras and leaves them for a week. At 16:45 he plays the footage he's recorded. It's not paranormal but it is weird. Branches come and go and at one point someone with a flashlight walks through the woods in the dead of night. The sounds are weird but not explainable. We see rodents and in other videos we saw badger dens.

These videos are a prime example of how credible people can talk themselves into believing the fantastic.
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2020, 05:43 AM   #491
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 3,680
Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
Thank you. In all of your experience have you found any evidence that ghosts exists and or has a scientist come up with any concrete proof that they exist? I hope not!
A gentle reminder: skepticism is about believing that which is evidenced.

If there was any evidence, pretty much everyone here would accept the existence of ghosts.

It seems strange you should ask people who don't believe in ghosts because they have no evidence for them, if they have any evidence ghosts exist.

You are dangerously close to the woo-merchants' idea of skeptics, which is that, secretly, deep-down, we know it's all true (all of it!), but we just don't want to admit it.

Just to be clear: I am not hiding a secret belief in ghosts, based on evidence I found but haven't told anyone. Really.
I do wonder why you seem so keen to believe in ghosts yourself, despite the repeated shredding of the claims you have asked about. Does the complete lack of credible evidence make the idea more appealing to you?
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2020, 07:27 AM   #492
Lithrael
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,957
Thanks for the links and the story!

One of the things that’s showed up now that everyone has a cel phone camera is lots of videos of electrical faults and explosions. There’s a few really impressive ones of electrical faults traveling slowly down power lines, looking like an incandescent spitting blue ball. These get mislabeled as ball lightning and shared all over social media. Even though we now have real, lab-formed ball lightning videos.... but they don’t look as cool, and they say stuff like “we believe this is caused by the same process as the phenomenon known as ‘ball lightning.’”

But the videos are still cool as hell so I’m not complaining that much.
My favorite one: https://youtu.be/iDL9f7n1URc

Last edited by Lithrael; 21st March 2020 at 07:47 AM.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 03:18 AM   #493
gigmaster
Scholar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Chatsworth, Ga. USA
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
Thanks for the links and the story!

One of the things that’s showed up now that everyone has a cel phone camera is lots of videos of electrical faults and explosions. There’s a few really impressive ones of electrical faults traveling slowly down power lines, looking like an incandescent spitting blue ball. These get mislabeled as ball lightning and shared all over social media. Even though we now have real, lab-formed ball lightning videos.... but they don’t look as cool, and they say stuff like “we believe this is caused by the same process as the phenomenon known as ‘ball lightning.’”

But the videos are still cool as hell so I’m not complaining that much.
My favorite one: https://youtu.be/iDL9f7n1URc
There are no known natural principles that would allow for the existence of ghosts. At times, they follow the laws of physics, then seemingly violate them at will, which is a major indicator that the phenomena most likely does not exist. Also, clothes aren't alive, so how do ghosts always seem to be dressed? And how do the clothes manage to go through walls? Another red flag. If ghosts do exist, why do they not impart any relevant information, such as Abert Einstein's ghost finishing his Unified Field Theory, or Lee Harvey Oswald's ghost telling us who really shot JFK? And the list goes on....
gigmaster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 02:02 PM   #494
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.
 
Spektator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southeastern USA
Posts: 1,787
I discovered another source of bizarre images on film when I bought my first SLR, a nifty little Olympus. On a cold day, I was shooting photos outside. A chilly wind had sprung up, and as I got two-thirds of the way through a roll of Kodak Plus-X panchromatic film (B&W because I had just gotten into film processing and had a home darkroom), I got so cold that I shot maybe ten exposures very rapidly, then rewound as fast as I could. When I developed and printed the film and photos, wow! A number of them toward the end showed an old abandoned farmhouse where once my great-aunt had lived.


Paranormal energies were sparking out of the structure. Oh, how eerie. Maybe my dead great-aunt was reaching out to me.

Nah.


Because after the first surprise, I realized what had happened. I had moved the film so fast inside the camera when I rewound that I generated a miniature lightning storm of static electricity. I was seeing the imprints of static discharge. No ghostly phenomena, but it did look kind of cool.

Last edited by Spektator; 25th March 2020 at 02:04 PM.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 02:16 PM   #495
Thor 2
Philosopher
 
Thor 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brisbane, Aust.
Posts: 6,395
Baaaaa ....... you are a typical skeptic Spektator.

There was your great-aunt reaching out to you and you have to find some way to explain it away. Shame on you.
__________________
Thinking is a faith hazard.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 01:13 AM   #496
AmyW
Thinker
 
AmyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 172
Some great replies thank you. I have recently seen this article, came across it by mistake and now it has freaked me out. Surely these stories can't be true?
https://secretldn.com/haunted-underground-stations/

I just want to be assured that ghosts if they are real that they aren't dead people/spirits of the dead. Please see the link and let me know what you think?
AmyW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 01:18 AM   #497
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,109
They are not real.
How many times do you need to hear that stated here to stop you bumping the thread with twaddle?
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 02:41 AM   #498
AmyW
Thinker
 
AmyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 172
I am sorry to go on and on! I was once a believer and all it did was cause confusion and high anxiety, hence why I ask a lot of questions.
AmyW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 04:32 AM   #499
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 3,680
Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
Some great replies thank you.
You're welcome.
Shame you're going to completely ignore them.

Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
I have recently seen this article, came across it by mistake and now it has freaked me out.
Bilge.
Anyone as anxious and 'freaked out' as you claim to be would have stopped reading at the word 'Haunted' in the title.

Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
Surely these stories can't be true?
https://secretldn.com/haunted-underground-stations/
Strangely, the answer to that is going to be the same as all the other answers you've had to that same question.
These stories are just that. 'Someone reckons they saw something spooky! Whoooh! Creepy!'- the same as all the others.
Zero evidence- the same as all the others.
Yet you read them believe them ask for our input, then ignore it and return again a few weeks later with another list of anecdotes that have supposedly 'freaked you out'.
Sorry, not buying this any more.

Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
I just want to be assured that ghosts if they are real that they aren't dead people/spirits of the dead. Please see the link and let me know what you think?
No, AmyW, what do you think? Given that you say you don't believe in ghosts any more, and given that everything everyone has said to you on this forum has supported you in that, and given that your latest link provides no evidence whatsoever to support the idea that there are spirits of the dead wandering the London Underground, can you say what there is about this latest article that would make you reconsider your claimed position?
What do you think about it?

Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
I am sorry to go on and on! I was once a believer and all it did was cause confusion and high anxiety, hence why I ask a lot of questions.
Again, I'm afraid I don't believe you.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 04:55 AM   #500
Carrot Flower King
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 258
Without wishing to sound disrespectful, that tube station stuff is the most fearful load of old bolleaux, lacking anything close to credibility.

As pointed out, we are going round and round this one to the tune of 500 posts and 13 pages. What is it that you are really asking us?

Last edited by Carrot Flower King; 31st March 2020 at 05:00 AM.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 07:18 AM   #501
kali1137
Graduate Poster
 
kali1137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Purgatory, PA
Posts: 1,446
Do you believe in bigfoot as well? There is an equal amount of evidence for this as well. Loads of internet stories and rubbish pictures. Neither makes it so. Here is the simple truth, if these things existed - given the amount of time and effort of people wanting to prove and believe in them, we would have real proof by now. Not scary stories or faked pictures. Nor would we need ghost hunter shows that have all been proven to fake for dramatic affect. We will be here for decades to come if you keep searching out nonsense on the internet to bring to us. Spiders freak me out, you know what I don't do, go looking for stories or pictures of spiders.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 10:58 AM   #502
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,025
Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
Some great replies thank you. I have recently seen this article, came across it by mistake and now it has freaked me out. Surely these stories can't be true?
https://secretldn.com/haunted-underground-stations/

I just want to be assured that ghosts if they are real that they aren't dead people/spirits of the dead. Please see the link and let me know what you think?
Oh come on. That article contains such gems as...

Quote:
The rumour goes that there’s a secret tunnel connecting the Egyptian room at the British Museum to Holborn. Logic suggests that the ghost of Amun-ra has been using this tunnel to travel to Holborn and snatch tube passengers to take back to his lair.
Ghosts need tunnels to mooch around now.

FFS
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 11:19 AM   #503
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 47,245
Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
I am sorry to go on and on! I was once a believer and all it did was cause confusion and high anxiety, hence why I ask a lot of questions.
Okay, but consider this: You're not asking a lot of questions. You're asking the same question over and over and over again, even though you keep getting the same answer.

At some point your thinking on this needs to mature from asking the same question every time you encounter a new instance of the same thing; to applying the answer you're getting, on your own, to new encounters. You make sounds like you hear what you're being told. At some point, you need to actually learn from it, and use that learning to think for yourself.

The longer this takes, the more you keep asking the same question even though you keep getting the same answer, the more people are going to start doubting your sincerity. The more people are going to think twice about answering you at all, or putting any effort into trying to help you learn.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 11:57 AM   #504
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,641
Quote:
Logic suggests that the ghost of Amun-ra has been using this tunnel to travel to Holborn and snatch tube passengers to take back to his lair.
Oh, well, if logic suggests it, I guess it must be so.

I wonder how many passengers have mysteriously vanished so far. Do you suppose we could come up with some sort of trap for Amun-Ra? You know, I have a sneaking suspicion he'll turn out to be the old caretaker in disguise. I don't quite trust that guy.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 12:22 PM   #505
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,025
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Oh, well, if logic suggests it, I guess it must be so.

I wonder how many passengers have mysteriously vanished so far. Do you suppose we could come up with some sort of trap for Amun-Ra? You know, I have a sneaking suspicion he'll turn out to be the old caretaker in disguise. I don't quite trust that guy.
Oh, that's easy. All we need is a Scooby Doo style reveal.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 12:24 PM   #506
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 7,955
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Oh, well, if logic suggests it, I guess it must be so.

I wonder how many passengers have mysteriously vanished so far. Do you suppose we could come up with some sort of trap for Amun-Ra? You know, I have a sneaking suspicion he'll turn out to be the old caretaker in disguise. I don't quite trust that guy.
All that is needed is a great dane and 4 teenagers.

ETA abaddon types faster than me.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 12:42 PM   #507
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,025
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Okay, but consider this: You're not asking a lot of questions. You're asking the same question over and over and over again, even though you keep getting the same answer.

At some point your thinking on this needs to mature from asking the same question every time you encounter a new instance of the same thing; to applying the answer you're getting, on your own, to new encounters. You make sounds like you hear what you're being told. At some point, you need to actually learn from it, and use that learning to think for yourself.

The longer this takes, the more you keep asking the same question even though you keep getting the same answer, the more people are going to start doubting your sincerity. The more people are going to think twice about answering you at all, or putting any effort into trying to help you learn.
Well put.

It is total boy cried wolf territory. Just look at the thread. We have gone from rational explanations being suggested to "Not this baloney again." And there is a reason why you alluded to that. Eventually, folks simply get fed up with same claim, same answer. Repeatedly.

This breathless credule attitude from OP wears thin every time, because the answer is the same every time. Who wants to waste their time asking for evidence of each and every case vomited forth? Simply ask have you any evidence at all for any of this anywhere?

Which will be immediately followed by other, different claims from other different places.

Poe? Troll? Whichever. Not worth any actual effort at this point.

Now I am going to predict a rise of this nonsense in the current crisis.
People are confined at home in large numbers and have nothing better to do that browse pointless top ten lists of ANYTHING. Because they are bored. I am bored. I am starting to hate my own four walls. That is how the world is right now. My saving grace is that I have an out from time to time as need arises. I have a letter in the car that lays out why I am allowed to travel and for what purpose. But plenty of people are simply stuck indoors. This means that craptons of them will spend their days reading dumb top ten lists.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 01:57 PM   #508
Thor 2
Philosopher
 
Thor 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brisbane, Aust.
Posts: 6,395
Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
I am sorry to go on and on! I was once a believer and all it did was cause confusion and high anxiety, hence why I ask a lot of questions.

If you are no longer a believer why are you being freaked out by all this bollocks you keep posting.
__________________
Thinking is a faith hazard.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 11:56 PM   #509
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,109
Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
I am sorry to go on and on! I was once a believer and all it did was cause confusion and high anxiety, hence why I ask a lot of questions.
If you are no longer a believer, again, why the persistent posting of “ghost” hogwash?
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 06:47 AM   #510
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,092
Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
Some great replies thank you. I have recently seen this article, came across it by mistake and now it has freaked me out. Surely these stories can't be true?
https://secretldn.com/haunted-underground-stations/

I just want to be assured that ghosts if they are real that they aren't dead people/spirits of the dead. Please see the link and let me know what you think?
Like all ghost stories they are not real. London had literally hundreds of "haunted" locations.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 06:52 AM   #511
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,092
Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Without wishing to sound disrespectful, that tube station stuff is the most fearful load of old bolleaux, lacking anything close to credibility.

As pointed out, we are going round and round this one to the tune of 500 posts and 13 pages. What is it that you are really asking us?
It's also rather inaccurate. The account of the Bethnal Green tube station disaster has several errors of fact.

Most of the stories appear to have been copied from Spragg's book.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.

Last edited by catsmate; 1st April 2020 at 06:56 AM.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 06:54 AM   #512
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,092
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Oh come on. That article contains such gems as...



Ghosts need tunnels to mooch around now.

FFS
True. London has far better ghost stories than those. I'm tempted to post some.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 07:08 AM   #513
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 7,279
Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
I plan to make a post about how people can talk themselves into thinking something other-worldly is happening using Youtube videos.

This is an example:

This channel is WW2 History Hunter, he doesn't believe in ghosts. He makes videos of his adventures running around old German gun emplacements and outposts and bunkers with his metal detector where he digs up artifacts from the war. It is very entertaining. His channel is devoid of paranormal content.

This first video is from 2016, he goes into some thick woods looking for a flak gun emplacement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eC7ua0KFxU&t=601s

This video is mostly him digging up shrapnel and bullet cases, but early on he mentions that the forest is "creepy", and this sets up what happens later. At the 8:40 mark he talks about feeling like he's being watched, and goes to investigate but finds nothing. He returns to digging things up and the video ends.

Driven by the comments section he returns to the site. He still doesn't believe in ghosts but gets sucked into looking for anomalies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDCBg68sGQ8&t=9s

At the 8:19 mark he's going frame-by-frame with his GoPro and in ONE frame there is a glitch and instead of chalking it up to digital technology he labels it as "weird". At 13:58 he talks about feeling like he's not alone. Still, he returns to digging up stuff instead of freaking out.

Good for him.

This week he let himself be talked into returning to the forest with trail cameras to catch possible paranormal activity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmMMK9KvJQY&t=1156s

Right off the bat he is "surrounded" by a half-dozen toads and he's cheeky about it. He sets up his cameras and leaves them for a week. At 16:45 he plays the footage he's recorded. It's not paranormal but it is weird. Branches come and go and at one point someone with a flashlight walks through the woods in the dead of night. The sounds are weird but not explainable. We see rodents and in other videos we saw badger dens.

These videos are a prime example of how credible people can talk themselves into believing the fantastic.
I'm sure he's enjoying all of the extra hits his channel is probably getting now that he's embraced the History channel's format of offering up paranormal content.

All he needs to do is pitch his World War artifacts/ghost-hunting in spooky forests idea and History channel would be all over it; throw in a Bigfoot episode and he's got solid gold material for most of the Discovery channels.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 07:11 AM   #514
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 7,279
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
I do wonder why you seem so keen to believe in ghosts yourself, despite the repeated shredding of the claims you have asked about. Does the complete lack of credible evidence make the idea more appealing to you?
People who believe in ghosts are the least of our worries in this world, tbh. Ghosts and the supernatural are a romantic notion for many people, in that they indicate a world beyond our own, a possible realm where loved ones never truly vanish.

Something I find more disturbing than a person believing in ghosts is a person believing that Coronavirus is man-made, or that it's a hoax designed by the dreaded gub'n'mint to raise taxes or some other such bollocks.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 07:17 AM   #515
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 7,279
Originally Posted by gigmaster View Post
There are no known natural principles that would allow for the existence of ghosts. At times, they follow the laws of physics, then seemingly violate them at will, which is a major indicator that the phenomena most likely does not exist. Also, clothes aren't alive, so how do ghosts always seem to be dressed? And how do the clothes manage to go through walls? Another red flag. If ghosts do exist, why do they not impart any relevant information, such as Abert Einstein's ghost finishing his Unified Field Theory, or Lee Harvey Oswald's ghost telling us who really shot JFK? And the list goes on....
Tbf, there are many examples of "naked ghosts... Don't ask me how I know this!

Ghosts, vampires, goblins, witches, ghouls, werewolves, all come from folklore and folk tales the world over. It's basically a human tradition, we've all been bred on it in some form or other, and it went on to become ingrained in the psyche. Pop culture is entwined in the supernatural, even to this day, people love it.

I don't see it ever changing, no matter how bare the cupboard of evidence is, and it's bare, barer than the barest of ghostly arses.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 07:30 AM   #516
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 7,279
Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Without wishing to sound disrespectful, that tube station stuff is the most fearful load of old bolleaux, lacking anything close to credibility.

As pointed out, we are going round and round this one to the tune of 500 posts and 13 pages. What is it that you are really asking us?
Well, it's the General Scepticism and Paranormal section, after all. What else should these threads be used for if not for waffling about this sort of stuff?

I enjoy the opportunity to even browse these near-dead threads these days, this section barely gets used anymore. The most fearful load of old bolleaux, lacking anything close to credibility could almost be a line used to describe the Social Issues and Current Events section full of white folks arguing for and against things pertaining to black folks on a seemingly daily basis, and certainly the Politics twaddle threads full of old people yelling from opposing lawns.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 07:34 AM   #517
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 7,279
Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
Spiders freak me out, you know what I don't do, go looking for stories or pictures of spiders.
Humans have been intentionally looking at things that freak them out since day one, tbh.

It's the reason we have a genre known as Horror within film and literature.

It's the reason people who don't like gore will turn their heads back a couple of times to try and get a glimpse of a car wreck.

Perfectly natural.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 07:57 AM   #518
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 7,279
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Well put.

It is total boy cried wolf territory. Just look at the thread. We have gone from rational explanations being suggested to "Not this baloney again." And there is a reason why you alluded to that. Eventually, folks simply get fed up with same claim, same answer. Repeatedly.

This breathless credule attitude from OP wears thin every time, because the answer is the same every time. Who wants to waste their time asking for evidence of each and every case vomited forth? Simply ask have you any evidence at all for any of this anywhere?

Which will be immediately followed by other, different claims from other different places.

Poe? Troll? Whichever. Not worth any actual effort at this point.
Well we're all replying, page after page. I for one don't mind it. There was once a time when believers roamed here majestically, like wild elk in Scotland, long before Irn Bru wiped them all out.

The history of ghosts is intriguing, IMO. Humanity's love affair with the supernatural is eye-opening, even down to the very credible scientists who dabbled in it.

For instance, Newton was rather taken by the occult, an alchemist and a very religious man.

The zoologist and biologist, Carl Linnaeus, was particularly intrigued by the idea of mermaids.

Alfred Russell Wallace, good friend of Darwin, was a very keen spiritualist.

The list goes on...

Conan Doyle being a famous enthusiast of all things that go bump in the night, or more particularly, all things that go "sparkle" in the garden.

I find the subject of ghosts infinitely more interesting than the subject of Bigfoot, though I do enjoy a good chin-wag about the big hairy dunce from time to time. Ghosts are an ancient interest among us hoomans, Bigfoot, as we know it, is relatively recent.

I love the Victorian age, reading about what made them tick, learning more about how they functioned as a society and whatnot. They were very interested in the supernatural, be they believers or not. You don't have to believe in ghosts to be interested in them.

The problem these days is that the supernatural has gone from the campfires and the parlours of old houses to the dirge of the television and the internet, fodder like "Ghost Hunters" and other such vehicles for fast-food style scares devoid of any intelligence, quite literally a bunch of wet noodles running around in the dark, yelling.

Most people have lost touch with the age-old idea of sitting down and weaving a ghostly tale to a room full of wide-eyed listeners, and I, for one, find that sad.

Nothing was more entertaining to me as a kid than listening to my dad and uncles telling us scary stories in the dark, it's exactly the reason I was such a fan of Horror, and still am.

Nothing beats a good Horror film, or a novel, for me.

Like the beginning of John Carpenter's the Fog, on the dark beach, beside the roaring campfire, an old man telling a tale about a ghost ship full of dead souls looking to exact revenge... Ghosts are a thrill, when given the chance. Very much worth the effort, IMO.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 07:59 AM   #519
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 7,279
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
If you are no longer a believer, again, why the persistent posting of “ghost” hogwash?
The Bigfoot threads don't contain any believers, yet hogwash is posted weekly. Bit of a laugh, innit. Something to blather about.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 08:13 AM   #520
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 7,279
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
True. London has far better ghost stories than those. I'm tempted to post some.
There's a particularly fun "ghost walk" in London that takes you to the Ten Bells pub, where some not-so-fun stories are told involving the very real dead women of the very real Whitechapel murders. A good Ripper "walk" will include a few of these stories as well, whether they're deemed to be in good taste or not is another matter, though I suppose they're not half as bad as the world of Ripper fiction that exists!

My city has some amazing old ghost stories, including those around St. James's cemetery, which has a history that is absolutely fascinating with or without ghosts. I literally used to spend all day there as a teenager. The cemetery famously houses a monument to William Huskisson, MP, who was rather unfortunate in that he was ran over and killed by George Stephenson's Rocket locomotive in 1830, his ghost is now said to wander the graveyard near his mausoleum.

You could tell stories for days about this particular cemetery. It contains a spring, most people who aren't local won't know about, but I used to drink from it all the time...

The spring was first discovered in 1773 while work on the quarry was progressing. A local surgeon, James Worthington wrote a paper to the medicinal virtues of this water, especially for:
“loss of appetite, nervous disorders, Lowness of spirit, headache is proceeding from crudities of the stomach, Ricketts and weak eyes.”
Indeed until recently a Doctor from the nearby Rodney Street used to visit the spring for a drink every day.

The spring was surrounded by an iron railing with a ladle attached so people could easily fill bottles and jars from the Spa.

An interesting point about the spring was made by John Thompson in 1894. Apparently when they were widening Church Street, they had to remove some bodies from St Peter's Church graveyard. Among them was the corpse of Captain David Gwin who died on the 21st July 1813 aged 76. His body was completely petrified and as hard as stone. It is believed that St James's spring may have run in that direction, and the minerals in the water caused this remarkable result.

A small plaque above the spring bears the inscription by Cuthbert Bridgewater:

Christian reader view in me,
An emblem of true charity,
Who freely what I have bestow,
Though neither heard nor seen to flow,
And I have full return from heaven,
For every cup of water given.


The cemetery also famously holds the grave of Kitty Wilkinson, (1786-1860) who was a hero of the cholera outbreak of 1832.

Some of the names in the cemetery are fascinating...

http://www.stjamescemetery.co.uk/index/category/people
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:38 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.