ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , Bob Gimlin , Patterson-Gimlin film , Roger Patterson

Old Today, 12:57 PM   #1681
MikeG
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squatchy McSquatch View Post
Hey gang New to the forum but familiar with the topic ........
.........and many of the posters

Welcome.
There may be dogs about

Pink Floyd - Sheep
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:57 PM   #1682
Gilbert Syndrome
Muse

100% of the time...
Old Today, 12:58 PM   #1683
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
I am and do have a question. How often does this occur? Does it occur 1%, 25%, 99%?
In what context?

As an example, every single mermaid sighting was and is a cognitive error or a ******** story.
Old Today, 01:05 PM   #1684
tsig
a carbon based life-form

So it's a case of "don't believe your own lying eyes infrared viewer , but believe what you've been told?"
FTFY
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:16 PM   #1685
Gilbert Syndrome
Muse

My own eyes show me that Squatch ain't around, my brain explains that he can't be, logic dictates that he isn't, NL tells me that he is, he can, it does...and not only that, but he doesn't half enjoy a bag of sweets when he can get 'em.
Old Today, 01:16 PM   #1686
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Hey gang New to the forum but familiar with the topic

Supposedly Roger and Bob shot the footage 47 years ago today.

I don't buy timeline for one bit, but Happy Paddy Day!!!
To paraphrase Spicolli, "I know this dude."
Old Today, 01:17 PM   #1687
dmaker
Critical Thinker

Hey gang New to the forum but familiar with the topic

Supposedly Roger and Bob shot the footage 47 years ago today.

I don't buy timeline for one bit, but Happy Paddy Day!!!

Welcome, SMS, nice to see you here.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:40 PM   #1688
Paul Holland
Scholar

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
Welcome, SMS, nice to see you here.
So he is the same SMS from BFF. Great!
Old Today, 03:18 PM   #1689
The Shrike
Master Poster

I feel so out of the loop with goings on and new personalities at the BFF. (I'll get over it though.)
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:16 PM   #1690
rockinkt
Muse

So it's a case of "don't believe your own lying eyes, but believe what you've been told?"
Did your eyes "lie to you" on any of these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRCMdnCr6h0#t=96

Yes or no?

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:24 PM   #1691
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
People misinterpret what they see all the time. Are you familiar with all the cognitive/memory biases NL?
I am and do have a question. How often does this occur? Does it occur 1%, 25%, 99%?
Everything is filtered through one's brain, which actively patterns and associates it idiosyncratically, so the incidence of subjective bias is 100%. However, these variations are often trivial enough not to matter.

Put another way, subjectivity is bias, and individual humans are inescapably subjective. That's why science was invented--a strict methodology was required to test the objectivity of hypotheses about the world around us.

Just as implausible as the existence of bigfoot are bigfoot "knowers" who are as infallible as they seem to think they are.
Old Today, 06:09 PM   #1692
Paul Holland
Scholar

When Billy Met Bobby

This is kind of awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7zSeJsSLSs

Munns and Gimlin are looking at a 3-D creation of Munns' that shows Patterson and Patty moving through the scene at Bluff Creek. They appear to be in somebody's converted garage or something, and Meldrum pops in as well. It's like a neighborhood watch meeting at M.K. Davis's.

The little figures are kind of cool...in an 80's Nintendo sort of way, and at one point (3:02) there's a priceless comment that one of us might have made (Munns appears unamused).

It's very educational to watch Munns tell Gimlin what happened that day, kind of like he's the bank robber mastermind going through everyone's role in the big heist, and Gimlin is up.

Stick with it and you'll get Munns' theory as to why there were no tracks leading up to Patty's famous stroll (mmm, never thought about that, says Bob, who is still quick enough to offer that the October sun was about to set—it was already 12:30 p.m., donchaknow, so there wouldn't have been any time to look for prior prints, even if I had considered it before this moment.).

You'd think Munns wouldn't bring that up—that they only looked at prints from the point she appeared on film...hmmmm.

But he has a simple answer...

Patty had been frolicking along in the creek till she saw the boys!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal