IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , political speculation

Old 9th November 2016, 12:15 PM   #41
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by CynicalSkeptic View Post
TRUMP: “Everybody's got to be covered. This is an un-Republican thing for me to say because a lot of times they say, 'No, no, the lower 25 percent that can't afford private. But—'”

PELLEY: “Universal health care.”

TRUMP: “I am going to take care of everybody. I don't care if it costs me votes or not. Everybody's going to be taken care of much better than they're taken care of now.”
Trump did say repeatedly that he wanted to scrap ACA and replace it with something better. And by better, I'm hoping he meant better for the consumer. If he actually does that, then I will start cutting him a lot of slack. I'm not holding my breath though giving his unfortunate tendency to lie pretty much constantly. For one thing I doubt the Republican congress will allow any viable replacement that doesn't favor the insurance companies over the consumers.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 12:25 PM   #42
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Damn. We have reached a place where Paul Ryan would be a nice change.

If the UK is leaving the EU, maybe they could take back a misguided former colony? An Atlantic Union, perhaps? I would totally commit to treason against the USA in order to get a little sanity back.
Here's quote I took from Paul Ryan's speech today:

Quote:
Look, it’s not just the health care law that we can replace, because we now have shown the willingness and the ability to do it. There are so many more things that I am excited about. Think about the laid-off coal workers now who see relief coming. Think about the farmers here in Wisconsin who are being harassed by the EPA in the waters of the USA. Think about the ranchers in the west who are getting harassed by the Interior Department or the laid-off timber workers.
There is relief coming.
This is good for our country. This means that we can lift the oppressive weight of the regulatory state. We can restore the Constitution. Think about the conservative Constitution respecting judges that will be nominated. This is — this is very exciting.

So first plans on the agenda after repealing Obamacare are to fire up coal mining again, allow farmers to dump environmentally hazardous materials into rivers, an apparent olive branch to the Cliven Bundy crowd, and more logging.

Nice.

Oh and then we get to load the Supreme Court with a bunch of fundamentalist justices too.

Awesome.

This whole thing is going to be "not so terrible" I bet.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 12:25 PM   #43
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Trump did say repeatedly that he wanted to scrap ACA and replace it with something better. And by better, I'm hoping he meant better for the consumer. If he actually does that, then I will start cutting him a lot of slack. I'm not holding my breath though giving his unfortunate tendency to lie pretty much constantly. For one thing I doubt the Republican congress will allow any viable replacement that doesn't favor the insurance companies over the consumers.
I've come up with a solution. It's horrible, but now we know that horrible is how to get things done. We'll establish a universal single payor healthcare system, but make it private and give it government-granted legally mandated monopoly. Then issue shares of the company free to all Republicans in office. That will guarantee their support. They'll make fortunes, the megarich will get richer, and hopefully they'll dispense just enough healthcare to keep enough voters alive to keep putting them back into office. A closed system designed primarily to make money for rich bastards, with a side effect of providing some healthcare. It's the most viable option.
Old 9th November 2016, 12:28 PM   #44
Tero
Master Poster

Will the undersecretary of interior cover beauty pageants? So he and Trump can go inspect them.
(Same as Assistant Secretary for Indian Affairs, under interior)

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Tero; 9th November 2016 at 12:34 PM.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 12:36 PM   #45
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And congress, regardless of party, is very militant about protecting it's powers and rights. There is a long history of Presidents having very bloody battles with congress when their party was in control when they felt the Presidnet was muscling into their turf.
On the other hand, republicans in Congress are even more entrenched now than they have been in the past (example: their plan to obstruct Obama's supreme court nomination, etc.)

Its quite possible that, given a choice between protecting their legislative turf and their party turf, they will side with the party and the president.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 12:42 PM   #46
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

ISIS? The generals are waiting for Donald to tell them how they can be defeated.
Wait a second... I thought Donald was going to make the generals come up with a plan to defeat ISIS.

Or fire them.

Can't remember which was which.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 01:17 PM   #47
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Wait a second... I thought Donald was going to make the generals come up with a plan to defeat ISIS.

Or fire them.

Can't remember which was which.
He has a secret plan.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 01:26 PM   #48
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Sorry, no. It's gotta go.
You want it repealed? If you don't mind, what is your reasoning?

If it merits a different thread, I'm in for that.
Old 9th November 2016, 01:29 PM   #49
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Better yet, not a centrist but a pragmatist who doesn't care about politics, but just might seize any opportunity to get things fixed in this country.

Problem is that what he thinks needs fixing is not what the majority on this board think needs fixing.
It seems, however, that it is what the majority of the country thinks needs fixing. I'm not sure I have enough understanding of what those issues are.
Old 9th November 2016, 01:34 PM   #50
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I've come up with a solution. It's horrible, but now we know that horrible is how to get things done. We'll establish a universal single payor healthcare system, but make it private and give it government-granted legally mandated monopoly. Then issue shares of the company free to all Republicans in office. That will guarantee their support. They'll make fortunes, the megarich will get richer, and hopefully they'll dispense just enough healthcare to keep enough voters alive to keep putting them back into office. A closed system designed primarily to make money for rich bastards, with a side effect of providing some healthcare. It's the most viable option.
Nah. You're thinking waaaay too complex, and you're way too quick to cast people as malicious.

Repeal ACA, extend Medicare (including Medicare Supplement and Medicare Advantage) to all ages. Subsidize through the existing Medicaid system. Universal entitlement to basic care, optional buy-ups for those who want it, income assistance for those who need it.

It's what they shoudla-done-did in the first place.
Old 9th November 2016, 01:37 PM   #51
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Nah. You're thinking waaaay too complex, and you're way too quick to cast people as malicious.

Repeal ACA, extend Medicare (including Medicare Supplement and Medicare Advantage) to all ages. Subsidize through the existing Medicaid system. Universal entitlement to basic care, optional buy-ups for those who want it, income assistance for those who need it.

It's what they shoudla-done-did in the first place.
Expanding entitlements? that is right out. Learn a little something about personal responsibility.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 01:37 PM   #52
Caper
Philosopher

I also think there is a good chance he gets assassinated. I thought the same thing about Obama too.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 01:43 PM   #53
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
He's a moron.
Right.

I have never heard him called that other than by his political opponents.

Plus. SCOREBOARD
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 01:53 PM   #54
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

And congress, regardless of party, is very militant about protecting it's powers and rights. There is a long history of Presidents having very bloody battles with congress when their party was in control when they felt the Presidnet was muscling into their turf.
I think he'll tend to go the opposite direction: Put his name on the letterhead, and then let other people actually do all the work. "President Trump" will bask in celebrity status, and pretty much let Congress do whatever it wants.

The real question is, how much media grandstanding will he do, as a way to grab attention, whenever a bill comes across his desk to be signed into law.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 01:53 PM   #55
Emily's Cat

Regarding the *reason* that Trump won, some interesting exit-poll stats here:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...xit-polls.html

In partticular, toward the bottom of the page, the sections on "Best description of vote" and "Most important candidate quality"

It looks like Trump won because of the people who voted against Clinton, and that the most important quality he offered was a perception that he can change things that need to be changed.

Immigration and Terrorism are more important issues to a lot of people than Foreign Policy and the Economy.
Old 9th November 2016, 02:00 PM   #56
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by CynicalSkeptic View Post
TRUMP: “Everybody's got to be covered. This is an un-Republican thing for me to say because a lot of times they say, 'No, no, the lower 25 percent that can't afford private. But—'”

PELLEY: “Universal health care.”

TRUMP: “I am going to take care of everybody. I don't care if it costs me votes or not. Everybody's going to be taken care of much better than they're taken care of now.”
I have no idea why somebody nominated you for that. But hey.

This is taken from this source :
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-t...-scott-pelley/

It is quite clear that he has no play. It will taken care of "by the hospital" with what money what process who knows.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 02:05 PM   #57
Spindrift

Regarding the *reason* that Trump won, some interesting exit-poll stats here:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...xit-polls.html

In partticular, toward the bottom of the page, the sections on "Best description of vote" and "Most important candidate quality"

It looks like Trump won because of the people who voted against Clinton, and that the most important quality he offered was a perception that he can change things that need to be changed.

Immigration and Terrorism are more important issues to a lot of people than Foreign Policy and the Economy.
Immigration and Terrorism was most important so they voted for the guy who wants to build a useless wall, violate the constitution by imposing a religious standard for immigrants and thinks he knows more than the generals do?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 02:08 PM   #58
xjx388
Philosopher

Immigration and Terrorism was most important so they voted for the guy who wants to build a useless wall, violate the constitution by imposing a religious standard for immigrants and thinks he knows more than the generals do?
No. I think he was elected because he was at least talking about those issues. I think most people realize he can't build a wall or impose religious tests on immigration.
Old 9th November 2016, 02:11 PM   #59
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Trump Picks Top Climate Skeptic to Lead EPA Transition

(okay, a couple of months old, but not heading in that "not be such a terrible president" direction.)

Last edited by Upchurch; 9th November 2016 at 02:12 PM.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 02:16 PM   #60
Belz...
Fiend God

You want it repealed? If you don't mind, what is your reasoning?

If it merits a different thread, I'm in for that.
What I want is irrelevant. Prepare to lose the ACA.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 02:43 PM   #61
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

What is going to happen in the U.S.A. when Trump can't, Build the wall, Bring industry back, get jobs to the jobless, raise the minimum wage so that the people that voted for him can live, stop Muslims, stop Latinos, gaol Hiliary, clean out the sewer that is Washington DC (Trumps words as best I can remember), impose 45% import tax on Chinese goods, drop NATO, drop South Korea and Japan, Nuke Middle East or any other area he and his deplorables do not agree with.
I am sure there are many others.

Put him in the van.
wombatwal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 02:46 PM   #62
Elind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
No. I think he was elected because he was at least talking about those issues. I think most people realize he can't build a wall or impose religious tests on immigration.
Many people were talking of those issue, before they weren't, and "Most people" voted for Hillary, so that would make you right even while you are wrong.

During a time of full employment according to most economic criteria his supporters still want a sugar daddy president that will give them a bigger TV and SUV, even though they have no idea how such a socialist result can come from a compulsive liar.

It's going to be interesting how they will see his promises in a year, if not day one and it will be equally interesting to see how the GOP actually morphs from simply saying NO to anything as they have done for the past 8 years and find themselves in a position where they are actually expected to do something constructive for the country, while kissing Trump's ass.
Elind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 02:47 PM   #63
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Right.

I have never heard him called that other than by his political opponents.

Plus. SCOREBOARD
He's a gifted salesman. He knows how to defraud people. Those are his skills.

Uh, President of the United States? I think that person needs at least a little character?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 02:48 PM   #64
Spindrift

I think most people realize he can't build a wall or impose religious tests on immigration.
Yes and they voted for Hillary.
Old 9th November 2016, 02:49 PM   #65
NoahFence
Banned

That's not the problem. Does he realize it? That's the important thing, wouldn't you think?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 03:10 PM   #66
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I vote you for president....genious solution.
Old 9th November 2016, 03:16 PM   #67
Navigator
Philosopher

I get the impression that Trump is correct that he is very intelligent and so intelligent he can use that to convince the intelligent that he is a fool.

That in turn made them open to incorrect predictions...and they let their guard down.

Drop the sour grapes and get with the program.

Atheism is not skepticism

Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors. ~ ISF disclaimer
Navigator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 03:29 PM   #68
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by wombatwal View Post
What is going to happen in the U.S.A. when Trump can't, Build the wall, Bring industry back, get jobs to the jobless, raise the minimum wage so that the people that voted for him can live, stop Muslims, stop Latinos, gaol Hiliary, clean out the sewer that is Washington DC (Trumps words as best I can remember), impose 45% import tax on Chinese goods, drop NATO, drop South Korea and Japan, Nuke Middle East or any other area he and his deplorables do not agree with.
I am sure there are many others.
His supporters will applaud him for a job well done, oblivious to the fact that he did nothing in his xenophobic piece of **** administration that they elected him to do.
Old 9th November 2016, 03:58 PM   #69
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
I get the impression that Trump is correct that he is very intelligent and so intelligent he can use that to convince the intelligent that he is a fool.

That in turn made them open to incorrect predictions...and they let their guard down.

Drop the sour grapes and get with the program.
Er, no. He really is a moron.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 04:00 PM   #70
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Quote:
But he can convince other morons that he's really intelligent.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 04:13 PM   #71
Emily's Cat

What I want is irrelevant. Prepare to lose the ACA.
I must have misread your post. I thought you were expressing that you believed it should be repealed.
Old 9th November 2016, 04:16 PM   #72
Emily's Cat

Maybe it's just immersion here, but the amount of insult, epithet, and hatred being directed at Trump really seems to exceed the amount that was previously directed at Obama.
Old 9th November 2016, 04:18 PM   #73
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry, no. It's gotta go.
Pfft. You and your reasonable arguments are no match for freedom logic.
Says the guy with the single payer health care. Some of us may need our sarcasm detectors tuned up.
Old 9th November 2016, 04:22 PM   #74
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Maybe it's just immersion here, but the amount of insult, epithet, and hatred being directed at Trump really seems to exceed the amount that was previously directed at Obama.
Of course it does, as well it *********** should.

The man is a waking horror. The election served as a referendum on basic democratic values, and basic democratic values lost.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 04:23 PM   #75
Navigator
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
But he can convince other morons that he's really intelligent.
Such expression is reminiscent of truthers.
Time will tell.

Atheism is not skepticism

Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors. ~ ISF disclaimer
Navigator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 04:39 PM   #76
steve s
Philosopher

I disagree . The Horror stories about people losing their health coverage will be a huge story. The GOP will have to come up with SOMETHING,and it can't just be a empty measure. There will be a backlash if they try that..and a pretty big one.
They could always adopt the plan written up by the right-wing Heritage Foundation back in 1994. Oh, wait. That became Obamacare.

Steve S
Old 9th November 2016, 04:45 PM   #77
Lurker
Illuminator

I would like to think that the kindhearted Trump would balk at taking away insurance without replacing with something. Hopefully it is something more than medical savings accounts, which are pretty much worthless for anything beyond basic care.
Old 9th November 2016, 04:49 PM   #78
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
I would like to think that the kindhearted Trump would balk at taking away insurance without replacing with something. Hopefully it is something more than medical savings accounts, which are pretty much worthless for anything beyond basic care.
The problem is that what Trump really wants will not enter into the minds of the Republican House. They will repeal Obamacare without a replacement as soon as the next congress is sworn in. Whether the Senate goes along is doubtful because the Republicans don't have 60 votes in the Senate.
Old 9th November 2016, 05:36 PM   #79
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
I suppose it is not impossible but I doubt it. Hope I'm wrong.
Have you ever been wrong about Trump before? (Sorry.)
Old 9th November 2016, 05:38 PM   #80
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Because it's deserved. There has never been a more ludicrous president than Trump. Are you really comparing him to Obama?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics