ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , assault incidents , Chicago incidents , Jussie Smollett

Old Today, 01:50 PM   #2281
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I have also read that lying to Federal officials has a maximum sentence of 5 years as well. He could be charged with both crimes (letter and lying) though I don't know if the FBI has asked Smollett anything yet.
Old Today, 01:58 PM   #2282
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Here is a question for Jussie.

If the police had brought forth two white suspects, and said we found them a block away, does this look like the guys that did it?

What would Jussie have told them?

Would he be willing to subject two innocent people to the certain media attacks, that would have followed?
Would this be before or after Jussie told them that the attackers were wearing all black with ski-masks? Same question for height and weight.

IOW, are the two white guys anything like what Jussie said that they were like?
Old Today, 02:04 PM   #2283
Drewbot
Philosopher

They were not the two people shown in the video.

However they were apprehended in the area, shortly after the attack.

They had ski masks, no rope, and no bleach.

They also admitted to the officer that they were Donald Trump supporters.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:11 PM   #2284
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Jussie gave no real description at all to the police, IIRC.

At least not initially.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:25 PM   #2285
Drewbot
Philosopher

Quote:
(c) Whoever knowingly so deposits or causes to be delivered as aforesaid, any communication with or without a name or designating mark subscribed thereto, addressed to any other person and containing any threat to kidnap any person or any threat to injure the person of the addressee or of another, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both. If such a communication is addressed to a United States judge, a Federal law enforcement officer, or an official who is covered by section 1114, the individual shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both.
Two letters = two counts under 18 USC 876 Section C

That's how i'm reading that.

There may be an additional rider based on the use of a hoax chemical.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:28 PM   #2286
Drewbot
Philosopher

If there were federal investigators called to the studio to inspect the letters, and they questioned Smollett, and he lied to the investigators, we are talking perhaps multiple counts of lying to investigators.

He would have been the subject of the interrogation, since the letters were addressed to him.
Old Today, 02:35 PM   #2287
Drewbot
Philosopher

I'm also curious about
18 U.S. Code  373. Solicitation to commit a crime of violence
Quote:
(a) Whoever, with intent that another person engage in conduct constituting a felony that has as an element the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against property or against the person of another in violation of the laws of the United States, and under circumstances strongly corroborative of that intent, solicits, commands, induces, or otherwise endeavors to persuade such other person to engage in such conduct, shall be imprisoned not more than one-half the maximum term of imprisonment or (notwithstanding section 3571) fined not more than one-half of the maximum fine prescribed for the punishment of the crime solicited, or both; or if the crime solicited is punishable by life imprisonment or death, shall be imprisoned for not more than twenty years.
(b) It is an affirmative defense to a prosecution under this section that, under circumstances manifesting a voluntary and complete renunciation of his criminal intent, the defendant prevented the commission of the crime solicited. A renunciation is not “voluntary and complete” if it is motivated in whole or in part by a decision to postpone the commission of the crime until another time or to substitute another victim or another but similar objective. If the defendant raises the affirmative defense at trial, the defendant has the burden of proving the defense by a preponderance of the evidence.
(c) It is not a defense to a prosecution under this section that the person solicited could not be convicted of the crime because he lacked the state of mind required for its commission, because he was incompetent or irresponsible, or because he is immune from prosecution or is not subject to prosecution.
Old Today, 02:35 PM   #2288
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Jussie gave no real description at all to the police, IIRC.

At least not initially.
Initially, he gave height and weight estimate of the "primary attacker" and said that both were dressed in all-black and with black masks.

Nothing more than that.
Old Today, 02:39 PM   #2289
Drewbot
Philosopher

I also am thinking there may be some money / wire fraud.

Isn't it illegal to transfer money in exchange for illegal activities?
Old Today, 03:00 PM   #2290
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
I also am thinking there may be some money / wire fraud.

Isn't it illegal to transfer money in exchange for illegal activities?
Yes, that is illegal. But as I mentioned upthread, I suspect that it was cash passing from hand-to-hand. Maybe the subpoenas for financials are to look for cash withdrawals that would then become hand-to-hand cash transactions.
Old Today, 03:28 PM   #2291
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Various media are reporting Jussie is now officially a suspect per CPD.
Old Today, 03:35 PM   #2292
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Case Update: Jussie Smollett is now officially classified as a suspect in a criminal investigation by #ChicagoPolice for filing a false police report (Class 4 felony). Detectives are currently presenting evidence before a Cook County Grand Jury.

CPD SPOX
Old Today, 03:38 PM   #2293
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Surveillance video showing the brothers buying the hat and other crime stuff.

https://twitter.com/BreakingNLive/st...39145032839169

HORRIFYING!
Old Today, 03:42 PM   #2294
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post

HORRIFYING!
Damn it! I was just about to post that and feel all contributory. Contributional

Last edited by Skeptic Tank; Today at 03:45 PM.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:00 PM   #2295
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if his lawyers are trying to negotiate a plea deal now.

Maybe that's why that one prosecutor recused herself?
Old Today, 04:01 PM   #2296
Whip
Graduate Poster

CPD SPOX

?
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:07 PM   #2297
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Any actual reason to believe this - you know, an investigation that was concluded - or is it just the usual white supremacist forum members who always show up to spew hatred?
Nice time to go back and look at some of the posts that did not age well.

Remember this dreamy dream post?
Old Today, 04:08 PM   #2298
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
Spokesman
Old Today, 04:16 PM   #2299
Whip
Graduate Poster

Spokesman
but that's not the joke.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:25 PM   #2300
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I foresee a tearful Jimmy-Swaggart-like apology and plea for forgiveness coming pretty soon.
Old Today, 04:26 PM   #2301
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I was wrong.
I despise Smollett now. He just made things tougher for any real victim of bigotry.
But before TBD crows too much, his great God Trump was taken in just like most people.....
My mistake was in thinking "No way would somebody fake this and make so many mistakes. Just a case of really stupid attackers".
And Smolett has pretty much destroyed his career with this stunt.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:27 PM   #2302
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I foresee a tearful Jimmy-Swaggart-like apology and plea for forgiveness coming pretty soon.
He won't get it from me. He just made it a lot harder for actual victims of bigotry to be taken seriously. He can go to Hell as far as I am concerned.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:34 PM   #2303
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Well, I was wrong.
I despise Smollett now. He just made things tougher for any real victim of bigotry.
But before TBD crows too much, his great God Trump was taken in just like most people.....
My mistake was in thinking "No way would somebody fake this and make so many mistakes. Just a case of really stupid attackers".
And Smolett has pretty much destroyed his career with this stunt.
I don't know that Trump was taken in.

Trump had exactly one way he could respond to something like this at that point in time. He had to say it sounded awful, so he said that.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:37 PM   #2304
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And Smolett just enabled people like Skeptic Tank....

Robert Heinlein.
Old Today, 04:38 PM   #2305
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

And Smolett just enabled people like Skeptic Tank....
Bro, I've got a worldview that corresponds with what damned near the entirety of humanity has thought throughout history and most of it still does today.

I'm pretty enabled already.
Old Today, 05:02 PM   #2306
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

He won't get it from me. He just made it a lot harder for actual victims of bigotry to be taken seriously.
I think he was saying that he is expecting a Jimmy-Swaggart-like apology from Smollett himself. You've got nothing to apologize for.
Old Today, 05:14 PM   #2307
Baylor
Philosopher

HORRIFYING!
'This media may contain sensitive material'

Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:16 PM   #2308
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

SMolett has just become the best thing to happen to the bigots in a long time.
Man is a total idiot.

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events