ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th June 2013, 03:32 PM   #241
Anerystos
Muse

Originally Posted by roryboryalice View Post
na i'm a troll bro this whole thread is fake

The trouble with this kind of confession is that no-one knows if you are serious or not! Nice one if your confession is real. The problem is to make the whole thing plausible enough to make it seem that it has come from a real psycho-nutter, and so attract the attention of those skeptics who think it real. Their response is most entertaining.

I tried making fake posts on one of the paranormal websites. I then invented a spurious new identity (on a different PC) and started arguing with myself.

Unfortunately I got rumbled because I gave too much information away.

I ticked the “remember me” box: consequently, they could identify when it was me logging in. I’m now permanently banned from the site. I’ll have to use a public access point, and start again with a another new identity.

Last edited by Anerystos; 16th June 2013 at 03:33 PM.
Anerystos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2013, 04:39 PM   #242
Roger Ramjets
Graduate Poster

This kind of trolling is an indication that you may be a sociopath. It's only a small step from there to causing real harm.
Old 16th June 2013, 10:25 PM   #243
Scopedog
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by HighRiser View Post
Derail alert! Start your own thread please, PiscesMercury. :-)
The thread is titled "Unfortunately for me - I have psychic experiences". PiscesMercury's first post starts with "I don't like having ESP either." How is PiscesMercury derailing? It seems perfectly on topic especially since roryboryalice seems to have made egress.
Scopedog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2013, 10:04 AM   #244
Apology
Reader's of the Boden Codex

Originally Posted by Scopedog View Post
The thread is titled "Unfortunately for me - I have psychic experiences". PiscesMercury's first post starts with "I don't like having ESP either." How is PiscesMercury derailing? It seems perfectly on topic especially since roryboryalice seems to have made egress.
This seems to be the right thread for "I think I may be psychic, please explain why I'm not". If new posters like PiscesMercury look like they're willing to work on a protocol for an informal a test, then they should properly start a new thread about their protocol and test. If they're just asking questions or making preliminary claims, I think it's all right if they post here. Beats having a dozen "I think I'm psychic---ok maybe I'm not" abandoned threads all over the forum imho.
"When I began to talk with him, I could not help thinking that he was not really wise, although he was thought wise by many, and wiser still by himself; and I went and tried to explain to him that he thought himself wise, but was not really wise; and the consequence was that he hated me, and his enmity was shared by several who were present and heard me." - Plato, Apology
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2013, 10:11 AM   #245
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Apology View Post
Beats having a dozen "I think I'm psychic---ok maybe I'm not" abandoned threads all over the forum imho.
I have yet to see a single such thread, and I've been posting here for years.

"I think I'm psychic --- and I still think I'm psychic but I'm fed up with trying to convince you meanie sceptics with your silly requests for objective evidence" abandoned threads, OTOH, abound.
Old 17th June 2013, 10:14 AM   #246
Apology
Reader's of the Boden Codex

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I have yet to see a single such thread, and I've been posting here for years.

"I think I'm psychic --- and I still think I'm psychic but I'm fed up with trying to convince you meanie sceptics with your silly requests for objective evidence" abandoned threads, OTOH, abound.
You have a valid point there
"When I began to talk with him, I could not help thinking that he was not really wise, although he was thought wise by many, and wiser still by himself; and I went and tried to explain to him that he thought himself wise, but was not really wise; and the consequence was that he hated me, and his enmity was shared by several who were present and heard me." - Plato, Apology
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2013, 11:28 AM   #247
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by PiscesMercury View Post
It is true that he is a hellish figure with a cruel face, at least 6'6 tall with eyes that seem almost black and a deathly pale skin, creating a striking appearance. I never let his looks influence my opinions of his moral status, though.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2013, 01:08 PM   #248
Anerystos
Muse

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
This kind of trolling is an indication that you may be a sociopath. It's only a small step from there to causing real harm.

Who are you suggesting might be a sociopath? roryboryalice or me?

I’ve been accused of a vast number of things in the past. Difficult, frequently – usually when I’ve been asking unwelcome questions, ie those which challenge the conventional wisdom of the dominant group (aka CoWDunG [Waddington]).

But sociopath is a new one. I’ll add it to my list.

Anyway, I enjoyed roryboryalice’s game. More power to his/her elbow.

Incidentally, no-one makes anyone plug into a website which they don't like. Bullying has been with us since the start of time: I've no doubt the equivalent occurs in the animal kingdom. Rather than complaining when it does happen, wouldn't it be rather more helpful to teach people how to cope with it? Elgin's "Verbal Self Defence" books might be of assistance here.

Last edited by Anerystos; 17th June 2013 at 01:09 PM.
Anerystos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2013, 01:17 PM   #249
Frozenwolf150
Formerly SilentKnight

I'm pretty sure it was directed at roryboryalice, since s/he self-identified as a troll before running off.

Incidentally, I have psychic experiences too. I just don't consider them unique or different from what everyone else goes through on a daily basis.
Old 17th June 2013, 05:58 PM   #250
Elizabeth I
Olympic Equestrian Wannabe

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I think that guy is playing for Miami now. I remember thinking when I saw him in the first Finals game, "Miami has a parrot playing for them?"

• There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. - Winston Churchill
• Never wrestle with a pig - you just get dirty and the pig enjoys it.
• My blog: Pardon me, may I ask...
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2013, 03:53 PM   #251
Anerystos
Muse

Originally Posted by Frozenwolf150 View Post
Incidentally, I have psychic experiences too. I just don't consider them unique or different from what everyone else goes through on a daily basis.
Just keep taking the pills.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal