ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th April 2019, 04:11 PM   #3601
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Your mad president wants that pipeline to take out the dirtiest mazout in the world all that of course for money profit. Could you tell him that pollution is a danger for people on this planet. One way or another money goal will finally destroy the planet and all his life.
Can you tell all the rich religious preachers that hawk their goofy religions while lining their pockets with gold from their pudding brained followers that religion has the aim of destroying the world, one pudding brained follower at a time?

Religion must be abolished because of how it deteriorates its sycophants' brains.

What do you think of Jesus's command that "the laborer deserves his wages"?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 06:04 PM   #3602
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Your mad president wants that pipeline to take out the dirtiest mazout in the world all that of course for money profit. Could you tell him that pollution is a danger for people on this planet. One way or another money goal will finally destroy the planet and all his life.
Gaetan, are you calling reports that Jesus said, "the laborer deserves his wages" fake news?

Straight out of Trump's playbook.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 01:29 PM   #3603
Gaetan
Master Poster

Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
Gaetan, are you calling reports that Jesus said, "the laborer deserves his wages" fake news?
I already answer that question. Wages are free stuff, i put the verses already.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 04:05 PM   #3604
Leftus
Graduate Poster

And, again, why are you not following Jesus's instructions as you understand them? If you aren't following his teachings, whose teachings are you following?

Wages are compensation for labor. If this "free stuff" is compensation for labor then it's no longer free.

Last edited by Leftus; 20th April 2019 at 04:06 PM.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 06:28 PM   #3605
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

So money is also free stuff? My wages are in money. "The laborer deserves his wages" seems to imply that a laborer works in exchange for something else. Just the opposite of what you've said before.

Are you sure you aren't emulating your hero Trump in calling Jesus's words "fake news"?
Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM   #3606
Gaetan
Master Poster

Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
So money is also free stuff? My wages are in money. "The laborer deserves his wages" seems to imply that a laborer works in exchange for something else. Just the opposite of what you've said before.

Are you sure you aren't emulating your hero Trump in calling Jesus's words "fake news"?
I put them once again:

ESV Luke 10.4 Carry no moneybag, no knapsack, no sandals, and greet no one on the road. 5 Whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace be to this house!’ 6 And if a son of peace is there, your peace will rest upon him. But if not, it will return to you. 7 And remain in the same house, eating and drinking what they provide, for the laborer deserves his wages. Do not go from house to house. 8 Whenever you enter a town and they receive you, eat what is set before you.

Their wages are the free stuff they provide

Last edited by Gaetan; Yesterday at 02:05 PM.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM   #3607
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Ah, so when I work for my employer, my wages are the free money they provide me. Seems a good deal all the way around.

You've provided plenty of reasons for keeping money and abolishing religion.
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #3608
Leftus
Graduate Poster

I put them once again:

ESV Luke 10.4 Carry no moneybag, no knapsack, no sandals, and greet no one on the road. 5 Whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace be to this house!’ 6 And if a son of peace is there, your peace will rest upon him. But if not, it will return to you. 7 And remain in the same house, eating and drinking what they provide, for the laborer deserves his wages. Do not go from house to house. 8 Whenever you enter a town and they receive you, eat what is set before you.

Their wages are the free stuff they provide
Again, since you are refusing to do this, who are you following?

And double again, wages are the payment for labor, if you have to work for "free stuff" it's not free, it's wages as it comes at the cost of labor.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:33 AM   #3609
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
And double again, wages are the payment for labor, if you have to work for "free stuff" it's not free, it's wages as it comes at the cost of labor.
Exactly, and where did the homeowner acquire the food and drink they provide? Besides simply and specifically being instructions for the seventy people he was addressing. At no point does the passage require the homeowner to work for free nor preclude any of those 70 from accepting the benefits of such paid labor, or whatever, of the homeowner.

As usual not only does your citation simply not support your assertions it actually refutes them.
Old Today, 10:19 AM   #3610
Joecool
Master Poster

Gaetan,

wages are just a means of exchange. Buying a big mac from McDonald's for $5 is no different than exchanging an hour of work for a chicken. If you could understand this, your discussion might actually have some meaning.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance