ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bitcoin

Old 8th March 2019, 05:26 AM   #3761
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

^^^ There should be a prize for wit like that.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 07:19 AM   #3762
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Comments on a Register article
https://forums.theregister.co.uk/for...wallets_empty/

I mention just for the delightful
I stopped reading after ". . . like most kleptocurrencies . . .".
Old 8th March 2019, 02:24 PM   #3763
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Damn,

I should have thought of that, the wallet IDs would be known to the company, or recoverable from the wallet software and from there they just have to pull out all the transactions from the block chain.

Hence the "uh-oh" moment.

Meanwhile, I've just bought $10 worth of bitcoins, the kind that are meaningless, shiny bits of metal. I'd been wondering where the various pictures of piles of shiny bitcoins were coming from, and it just occurred to me to check on amazon.

No idea what I'm going to do with them, but I do like shiny.

It's entirely possible, but probably unlikely, that one day they'll be worth more than what I paid for them yesterday.
Old 8th March 2019, 06:39 PM   #3764
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I stopped reading after ". . . like most kleptocurrencies . . .".
Wait, now you are claiming to be THAT superficial? Really?

OK then.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 10:46 PM   #3765
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I dunno.

At least psionl0 doesn't buy things because they're shiny.
Old 8th March 2019, 11:19 PM   #3766
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Making up silly names is no substitute for a good argument.
Old 9th March 2019, 07:20 AM   #3767
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post

OK then.
He's taking a brave and principled stand for logic, reason and open-mindedness over thoughtless bias and humor.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2019, 07:32 AM   #3768
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I dunno.

At least psionl0 doesn't buy things because they're shiny.
I have a pile of those coins on my desk. I have several variations on the bitcoin, an etherium coin, and some other replica coins including a fake krugerand. I also have some magnets and can use them to link them all together to make a curtain of gold coins suspended from my file cabinets.
Old 9th March 2019, 04:49 PM   #3769
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Ah, that sounds like fun.

Unfortunately the ones I have just ordered are a copper/aluminium mix, or perhaps copper core, plated with copper and aluminium.

(Thus no magnets).
Old 28th March 2019, 09:52 AM   #3770
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

The Most Important Creation In The History Of Man

#metoo
Old 28th March 2019, 10:38 AM   #3771
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Oh look, we're back at 4k !
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 09:13 AM   #3772
GStan
Graduate Poster

Flirting with 5K today - what's going on here? I got a text from my wife saying "Bitcoin is exploding!" I'm terrified I'm about to own a Bitcoin.
Old 2nd April 2019, 09:20 AM   #3773
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Imho just a little push, will drop right back in few days. Like February 23 for example.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2019, 09:52 AM   #3774
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by GStan View Post
Flirting with 5K today - what's going on here? I got a text from my wife saying "Bitcoin is exploding!" I'm terrified I'm about to own a Bitcoin.
Get rid of her before it's too late!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 02:25 AM   #3775
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Get rid of her before it's too late!
I'm too lazy to look it up now, but I read that a 'Whale' is pumping up the price.

Not sure that checks out, I've been seeing more and more positive articles, blog-posts, Tweets etc about crypto for about two months.

So there is a changing mood out there.

Maybe it works like this:
-PR and activism hype crypto, much of it well-intentioned.
-The Internet echo chamber starts to repeat the talking points
-The public starts to buy into it
-Crypto starts to rise
-Some Whales start to pump the price
-mainstream media reports about it
-Public gets hopeful and buys crypto
-Whales hang on for a while and then take profit
-Crypto slides
-Mainstream media reports it
-Crypto crashes
-Libertarian/Anarchist hopes dashed again!
-Rinse
-Repeat
Old 3rd April 2019, 02:53 AM   #3776
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Maybe it works like this:
-PR and activism hype crypto, much of it well-intentioned.
-The Internet echo chamber starts to repeat the talking points
-The public starts to buy into it
-Crypto starts to rise
-Some Whales start to pump the price
-mainstream media reports about it
-Public gets hopeful and buys crypto
-Whales hang on for a while and then take profit
-Crypto slides
-Mainstream media reports it
-Crypto crashes
-Libertarian/Anarchist hopes dashed again!
-Rinse
-Repeat
I doubt it. The price would be more predictable if it kept repeating the same pattern over and over again.

All we know is that sudden price changes are usually associated with sudden trading spikes. Even then, we don't know if the spikes are due to the decision of a "whale" or a larger number of smaller BTC holders acting in unison. And there is no way to tell when such a trading spike will occur.
Old 3rd April 2019, 03:19 AM   #3777
Belz...
Fiend God

I doubt it. The price would be more predictable if it kept repeating the same pattern over and over again.
Well, it does keep repeating the same pattern, roughly: go up, crash, go more up, crash, go more more up, crash...

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 03:23 AM   #3778
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Well there is one thing which never failed me. I didn't buy. So the price may actually hold. If I did buy, it would certainly crash.
Old 3rd April 2019, 03:57 AM   #3779
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well, it does keep repeating the same pattern, roughly: go up, crash, go more up, crash, go more more up, crash...
Maybe so but it is not a regular pattern and is not explained by the theory that Eddie Dane made up. So there is no predictability.
Old 3rd April 2019, 04:10 AM   #3780
Belz...
Fiend God

Maybe so but it is not a regular pattern and is not explained by the theory that Eddie Dane made up. So there is no predictability.
I know. I wasn't being serious.

Old 20th April 2019, 10:15 AM   #3781
Henri McPhee
Illuminator

Gold is a commodity, oil is a commodity and perhaps wheat is a commodity, but Bitcoin is not a commodity.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 11:01 AM   #3782
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
. . . . . Bitcoin is not a commodity.
Why not?
Old Today, 10:08 PM   #3783
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
Gold is a commodity, oil is a commodity and perhaps wheat is a commodity, but Bitcoin is not a commodity.
Why is wheat "perhaps" a commodity?

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance