ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Edward de Vere , Shakespeare conspiracies , william shakespeare

Old 22nd August 2019, 07:18 AM   #121
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
So, I just kind of skimmed the thread so maybe this has been answered but:

1. What was/is the motive for hiding the true identity of the person who wrote Shakespeare's play's?
So that 400 years later really clever people can make money selling books about it. It's a long game.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:06 AM   #122
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

1. What was/is the motive for hiding the true identity of the person who wrote Shakespeare's play's?
Even Stratfordians agree that William Cecil, Lord Burghley, was the model for Polonius in Hamlet (Cecil was sometimes mockingly called Pondus by his peers), thus Cecil's character was assassinated, figuratively and literally, in the play. This was unknown publicly at the time, only recognised and acknowledged centuries later.

In the shorter, earlier "quarto" versions the character's name was Corambis which derived from "two-hearted" (two-faced) - Burghley's motto was "one heart, one way". It would seem that Shakespeare had a distinct dislike, perhaps a personal dislike, of the man.

This is only one of the most overt examples of Shakespeare's mocking of members of the Elizabethan elite (once the pattern is recognised, the plays seem to be full of them), and was imperative that the public never became aware of it. Hence it was expedient to make it seem as if the plays sprang purely from the imagination of a man with no connections to or knowledge of the court and the elite, preferably one who lived a good distance from London.

Quote:
2. What is the motive of those who deny it was Shakespeare? Most other conspiracist motives are relatively obvious. Denying some random nut can change history by killing a famous or powerful person, denying that the NAZI's really were that bad, not admitting that your sacred text is actually wrong about a lot of things. Who cares if it wasn't actually a guy named Shakespeare and why do they care?
That isn't really a question, is it?
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:20 AM   #123
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
This is only one of the most overt examples of Shakespeare's mocking of members of the Elizabethan elite (once the pattern is recognised, the plays seem to be full of them), and was imperative that the public never became aware of it.
That sounds somewhat contradictory.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:40 AM   #124
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Not at all. The elite themselves were perfectly well aware of who and what the author was referring to.

How about Macbeth? A regicide with Beth in his name? On pain of death, no-one at the time would dare to even hint that they saw Elizabeth as a regicide for her signing of Mary Stuart's death warrant, but somehow Shakespeare got away with it.

And the deposition scene in which Richard II gave up his crown, again verboten, but performed on the eve of the Essex Rebellion? The troupe who performed it hauled up in court to explain themselves, but the author never even mentioned by the authorities?
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:43 AM   #125
Belz...
Fiend God

Not at all. The elite themselves were perfectly well aware of who and what the author was referring to.
And so secrecy was apparently neither important nor observed.

And you know this how?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:51 AM   #126
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

How about Macbeth? A regicide with Beth in his name? On pain of death, no-one at the time would dare to even hint that they saw Elizabeth as a regicide for her signing of Mary Stuart's death warrant, but somehow Shakespeare got away with it.
Probably because the name had nothing to do with Elizabeth and was based on a (historically inaccurate) tale about the actual King Macbeth.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:51 AM   #127
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

There was plenty of ambivalence toward de Vere - in the 1570's he was Elizabeth's 'favourite', but after his fall from grace (in fact total disgrace) it appears that she probably intervened on his behalf and even saved him from his mortal enemies on multple occasions.

To this day no-one - except Oxfordians - have offered a plausible explaination as to why she granted him an 'annuity' of £1000 per year (a lot of money even for an Earl) which was paid unfailingly for nearly two decades of her reign, and then even renewed by James, who referred to him as "Great Oxford".
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:52 AM   #128
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Probably because the name had nothing to do with Elizabeth and was based on a (historically inaccurate) tale about the actual King Macbeth.
You know nothing about this.
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:54 AM   #129
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

And so secrecy was apparently neither important nor observed.

And you know this how?
Like i said, I'm not bothering with any pointless back-and-forths with you conformists.
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:57 AM   #130
Belz...
Fiend God

Like i said, I'm not bothering with any pointless back-and-forths with you conformists.
In other words, you will only engage those who accept your claims uncritically. What are you doing on this forum, then? Go to 4chan or something.

Neither do you, that's the beauty of it.

Old 22nd August 2019, 10:57 AM   #131
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Arrogance is not evidence.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:02 AM   #132
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Before anyone chimes in that Macbeth wasn't published or performed in Elizabeth's lifetime, there are unambiguous references to a play about a "Tragedy Of The King of Scots" as far back as the 1580's which (like many others) is held to be an "influence" on the later Shakespeare plays, but were likely just earlier versions performed only for audiences at places like Grays Inn, the court and the universities.

Most of the plays were revised and polished mulitple times, not least to render them suitable for the public stage, some over decades.
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:07 AM   #133
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Before anyone chimes in that Macbeth wasn't published or performed in Elizabeth's lifetime, there are unambiguous references to a play about a "Tragedy Of The King of Scots" as far back as the 1580's which (like many others) is held to be an "influence" on the later Shakespeare plays, but were likely just earlier versions performed only for audiences at places like Grays Inn, the court and the universities.

Most of the plays were revised and polished multiple times, not least to render them suitable for the public stage, some over decades.
Why do you act like this is a shocking thing? Most plays were re-vamps or re-imaginings of other plays and stories. Romeo and Juliet is based on a translated Italian story, which in turn may have been derived from Greek Tragedies.

The play as played show multiple characteristics of Shakespeare knowing the skill level of his company, something de Vere would have had no clue of. Examples of this have been given with other plays in this thread.

Old 22nd August 2019, 11:17 AM   #134
Belz...
Fiend God

Most of the plays were revised and polished mulitple times, not least to render them suitable for the public stage, some over decades.
Sorry, I'm not bothering with any pointless back-and-forths with you revisionists.

Old 22nd August 2019, 11:20 AM   #135
Belz...
Fiend God

Why do you act like this is a shocking thing? Most plays were re-vamps or re-imaginings of other plays and stories.
Especially before copyright laws, and then even today there's a LOT of 'inspiration' going around.

Old 22nd August 2019, 11:29 AM   #136
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

[it] was imperative that the public never became aware of it.
Evidence that this was the case?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:41 AM   #137
catsmate
No longer the 1

Even Stratfordians agree that William Cecil, Lord Burghley, was the model for Polonius in Hamlet
No they don't. It's one theory, and a reasonable one, but certainly not universally accepted.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.

Last edited by zooterkin; 22nd August 2019 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Fixing tags
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:39 PM   #138
Elagabalus
Illuminator

2. What is the motive of those who deny it was Shakespeare? Most other conspiracist motives are relatively obvious. Denying some random nut can change history by killing a famous or powerful person, denying that the NAZI's really were that bad, not admitting that your sacred text is actually wrong about a lot of things. Who cares if it wasn't actually a guy named Shakespeare and why do they care?
https://www.vox.com/2016/4/22/114801...ip-controversy
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:06 PM   #139
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
8enotto, I really like much of what you say and I think you're a fine mechanic, but......pistols at dawn!
Rapiers would be more appropriate and period.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:07 PM   #140
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry, I'm not bothering with any pointless back-and-forths with you revisionists.
The Pearl Harbor revisionists can be fun to argue with, but the Anti Stratfordians are lacking in entertainment value in that regard.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:10 PM   #141
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, the "Look at me, I am a daring heroic individualist rebel speaking the truth" card. Every crackpot does that eventually.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:20 PM   #142
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Why do you act like this is a shocking thing? Most plays were re-vamps or re-imaginings of other plays and stories. Romeo and Juliet is based on a translated Italian story, which in turn may have been derived from Greek Tragedies.

The play as played show multiple characteristics of Shakespeare knowing the skill level of his company, something de Vere would have had no clue of. Examples of this have been given with other plays in this thread.
Am I to take it from this that you think de Vere wasn't familiar with the theatre? With writing and producing plays? Oh dear.
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:26 PM   #143
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Even Stratfordians agree that William Cecil, Lord Burghley, was the model for Polonius in Hamlet
No they don't. It's one theory, and a reasonable one, but certainly not universally accepted.
One of Cecil's own descendants has confirmed that Polonius's pontification on courtly manners almost precisely follows the "precepts" that Cecil wrote for his son, Robert, and which at that that time were known ONLY to his immediate family members. Which included Cecil's son-in-law.

Last edited by zooterkin; 22nd August 2019 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Fixing tags
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:42 PM   #144
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Am I to take it from this that you think de Vere wasn't familiar with the theatre? With writing and producing plays? Oh dear.
He is alluded to having written plays, but none survive. When did he produce plays?

More to the point, any damn fool can write a script with generic parts but Shakespeare worked with a company of actors and he had to know what they were capable of to take advantage. Have a swordfight in your play? Better make sure at least two people know stage fighting, having your fellow courtiers use their skills learned from Saviolo won't end well. Have a lot of female roles? Better hope you have enough young lads in the company to play those parts. Someone important in the company is great at comedy but lousy at dramatic parts? You'll still need to make a part for them. This and a thousand other considerations is what Shakepseare would need to know and do. It wasn't like it is now, where you have casting calls and agents, etc. You have to make do with the pieces you have and make it whole.

This is not something you can mail in from his Lordships House.

Old 22nd August 2019, 02:00 PM   #145
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

I think "arguing" with dyed-in-the-wool conformists is a fool's errand and I wasn't going to bother providing an easy-to-digest source for their simple minds, but what the hell - this article provides a fair sampling (but isn't comprehensive by any stretch) of evidence (or "awfully funny coincidences") suggesting de Vere as the Spear-shaker ;

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...oxford/306478/
Old 22nd August 2019, 02:09 PM   #146
llwyd
Critical Thinker

Well, I think it's pretty impossible to debate about art - I find "Divine Will" actually pretty damn divine, but that's just my individual taste:

https://stockholmslender.blogspot.co...an-rag_19.html
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 02:13 PM   #147
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Walt Whitman reveals himself as a proto-typical "conspiracy theorest" and "Shakespeare Denier" (still LoL);

"The comedies have the unmistakable hue of plays, portraits, made for the divertissement only of the elite of the castle, and from its point of view. The comedies are altogether non-acceptable to America and Democracy."

The history plays were "Conceiv'd out of the fullest heat and pulse of European feudalism—personifying in unparallel'd ways the medieval aristocracy, its towering spirit of ruthless and gigantic caste, its own peculiar air and arrogance (no mere imitation)—only one of the 'wolfish earls' so plenteous in the plays themselves, or some born descendant and knower, might seem to be the true author of those amazing works...."
Old 22nd August 2019, 02:14 PM   #148
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
Well, I think it's pretty impossible to debate about art - I find "Divine Will" actually pretty damn divine, but that's just my individual taste:

https://stockholmslender.blogspot.co...an-rag_19.html
Art? History, actually.
Old 22nd August 2019, 02:14 PM   #149
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Celebrity endorsements are considered proof now?

Old 22nd August 2019, 02:23 PM   #150
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

When Oxfordians simply voice their perception of the plays in a way that essentially agrees with Whitman, they're accused of being "snobs".

It's interesting to note that there is far more freedom of debate in the US (and many non-English speaking countries for that matter) about the authorship question in 'respectable' or academic circles than in the UK, and I find it ridiculous that an American Oxfordian could be considered a snob.
Old 22nd August 2019, 02:23 PM   #151
llwyd
Critical Thinker

Art? History, actually.
Well, the historical part is pretty obvious: Shakespeare wrote the plays of Shakespeare. The wonder and mystery is the scary comprehensiveness of the texts - he wrote for our modern era almost before it had started. And that really is pretty damn exceptional.

Last edited by llwyd; 22nd August 2019 at 02:31 PM.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 02:24 PM   #152
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Celebrity endorsements are considered proof now?
Whut?
Old 22nd August 2019, 02:56 PM   #153
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Whut?
You brought up Walt Whitman.

Old 22nd August 2019, 04:25 PM   #154
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Starting a thread about a theory of the works of Shakespeare, refuses to answer questions, insults the intelligence of other posters.
This isn't a discussion, this is masturbation.
Hey,it's the way most Conspiracy Kooks roll....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd August 2019, 04:27 PM   #155
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

He is alluded to having written plays, but none survive. When did he produce plays?

More to the point, any damn fool can write a script with generic parts but Shakespeare worked with a company of actors and he had to know what they were capable of to take advantage. Have a swordfight in your play? Better make sure at least two people know stage fighting, having your fellow courtiers use their skills learned from Saviolo won't end well. Have a lot of female roles? Better hope you have enough young lads in the company to play those parts. Someone important in the company is great at comedy but lousy at dramatic parts? You'll still need to make a part for them. This and a thousand other considerations is what Shakepseare would need to know and do. It wasn't like it is now, where you have casting calls and agents, etc. You have to make do with the pieces you have and make it whole.

This is not something you can mail in from his Lordships House.
"Shakespeare In Love" is, of course, fictional and an comedy that takes many,many, liberties with history, but the way it shows Shakespeare working in the Elizabethan theater is probably pretty close to the mark.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd August 2019, 05:45 PM   #156
Leftus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Why couldn't Shakespear have written the plays?
Because he was a filthy commoner.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 06:28 PM   #157
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
"Shakespeare In Love" is, of course, fictional and an comedy that takes many,many, liberties with history, but the way it shows Shakespeare working in the Elizabethan theater is probably pretty close to the mark.
Well, kinda. I mean to nitpick they showed a 'casting call' and that just wasn't how theaters go their actors.

Old 23rd August 2019, 03:20 AM   #158
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Ah, the "Look at me, I am a daring heroic individualist rebel speaking the truth" card. Every crackpot does that eventually.
Exactly.

One of Cecil's own descendants has confirmed that Polonius's pontification on courtly manners almost precisely follows the "precepts" that Cecil wrote for his son, Robert, and which at that that time were known ONLY to his immediate family members. Which included Cecil's son-in-law.
Ah family anecdote. Not exactly evidence, but the you don't have any of that...

I assume that you, unlike all the other Oxfordian nuts will be demonstrating that the Earl of Oxford had a copy of the precepts written for Robert?
And while you're at it, how about you do a side-by-side comparison of the precepts against Polonius's speech? Because they don't, as you claim, "almost precisely follow".
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 03:22 AM   #159
catsmate
No longer the 1

He may have written plays. When will you be producing evidence of Oxford's familiarity with staging and producing them?
Old 23rd August 2019, 03:25 AM   #160
catsmate
No longer the 1

I think "arguing" with dyed-in-the-wool conformists is a fool's errand
I take it you won't be supporting your claims then?

And, BTW, wow. You're actually citing Bethell as some sort of expert on Shakespeare? The AGW denying, Evolution denying, HIV denying waskjob?
That's the best you can muster?
Sweet jeebus that's just pathetic, even for Oxfordians.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts