ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 24th September 2018, 11:36 AM   #2281
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I have not; do you have any examples you can link to?
Byron David Smith was linked earlier in the thread.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_...Smith_killings
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 11:41 AM   #2282
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Byron David Smith was linked earlier in the thread.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_...Smith_killings
Yes, that's the one; I have already explained why that is not an example of what I was talking about. To say Smith was convicted "because he shot more than once" is an intentional mischaracterization of that case.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 11:42 AM   #2283
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Yes, that's the one; I have already explained why that is not an example of what I was talking about. To say Smith was convicted "because he shot more than once" is an intentional mischaracterization of that case.
Shooting more than once, alone, would never get someone convicted (or should never, there are bizarre miscarriages of justice all the time). Not sure who said that in this thread, but if they did, they are wrong.

ETA: Smith's intention was to kill them, not fear for his life. He admitted that.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 24th September 2018 at 11:49 AM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 11:44 AM   #2284
Checkmite

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So basically at this point "She took an action that any reasonable person would know would most probably result in death but didn't want him to die?" is where we are at?
"I threw him under the train because I was hoping it would just give him a black eye or something."
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 11:53 AM   #2285
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
...My own guess is that the odds of conviction on a serious charge are higher than your estimate, but that it will not be a murder charge and that Guyger will be given a relatively light sentence.
The charge she was arrested on was manslaughter.
Quote:
Guyger, 30, of Dallas, was charged with manslaughter, according to jail records. The four-year veteran of the department was released from the Kaufman County Jail on Sunday evening after posting a $300,000 bond. CNN
If the case goes to trial a conviction is always a possibility. As for getting a light sentence, that's possible, too. The law gives the sentencing judge a lot of leeway.
Quote:
Manslaughter in Texas is a second degree felony. This charge will typically carry a sentence of between two and twenty years in a state prison and/or a fine of no more than $10,000. Legal website
You're undoubtedly right, though, the victim, Botham Jean, could have responded with deadly force to someone pushing their way into his apartment. However, in this case where it was a uniformed police officer entering the apartment, prosecutors might contend it was reasonable to presume this was a police action gone awry and thus deadly force was NOT a legal response.

What if that had been the outcome? If Guyger had been shot by Jean? Then we'd be arguing, was it reckless to have shot a uniformed police officer (illegally) entering your apartment at night? How quickly should Mr. Jean have been able to recognize, "It's a cop!" Could you use the NRA argument, if you hesitate you're dead? Ironically, in this case that was apparently true.

The whole incident has some very bizarre aspects.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 11:55 AM   #2286
Belz...
Fiend God

"I threw him under the train because I was hoping it would just give him a black eye or something."
Remember: once the train fails to kill your target, you have to keep throwing him under the train because killing him was your original intent. That's how things work in la-la land.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 11:57 AM   #2287
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
The charge she was arrested on was manslaughter.

That's still just a preliminary charge.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 12:12 PM   #2288
Bob001
Philosopher

Yeah, but what if you were at the wrong station?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 12:14 PM   #2289
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently not; the statement released by the department references "adverse conduct when she was arrested", whatever that means.
The adverse conduct is the shooting, imo.

There's been no hint of her behaving improperly after that.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 12:49 PM   #2290
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The search warrant was written up before Guyger had been interviewed.

Originally Posted by Star-Telegram
A search warrant written on Sept. 7 and signed by Judge Brandon Birmingham tells a different story (when compared to the later arrest warrant). An officer within the police department told The Dallas Morning News that the search warrant was written before Guyger was interviewed.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...218927790.html
Old 24th September 2018, 12:53 PM   #2291
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post

Dallas Mayor just said this, which suggests that she wasn't fired because of how she behaved during an interview.

Originally Posted by Star-Telegram
"The swift termination of any officer who engages in misconduct that leads to the loss of innocent life is essential if the Dallas Police Department is to gain and maintain the public trust."
Old 24th September 2018, 01:16 PM   #2292
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Fired because of the manslaughter charge.

Apparently not; the statement released by the department references "adverse conduct when she was arrested", whatever that means.

I understand why that wording could mean other things, but I don't understand why you would think the shooting couldn't be adverse conduct.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 01:19 PM   #2293
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

No hint other than her getting fired for behaving improperly after that.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 01:29 PM   #2294
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
No hint other than her getting fired for behaving improperly after that.
What behavior?

Old 24th September 2018, 01:30 PM   #2295
Drewbot
Philosopher

Unless her toxicology came back positive.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 01:34 PM   #2296
Checkmite

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I understand why that wording could mean other things, but I don't understand why you would think the shooting couldn't be adverse conduct.
Because the shooting happened considerably before she was arrested, or at least that's my current understanding - that she was permitted to go home from the scene and wasn't arrested until sometime later (someone correct please if I am mistaken?).

I would expect a reference to the shooting to read something like "adverse conduct when she shot the victim", not "when she was arrested" which is something that happened later.
Old 24th September 2018, 01:35 PM   #2297
Bob001
Philosopher

The killing is certainly the reason she's in trouble, but the "adverse conduct" could be as simple as entering a private home without a warrant or good cause. If she ever said, even in the first 911 call, "I caught somebody in my house," that would be a lie, which I imagine would also be a firing offense. Most organizations can find grounds to get rid of somebody one way or another.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 01:36 PM   #2298
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

For what it's worth the "During arrest" wording doesn't sound like it's referring to the shooting to me either, but it's not the best worded and/or not vague thing ever written.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 01:41 PM   #2299
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Maybe the Mayor will have a private chat with the Police Chief and ask her to please not release official statements that contain ambiguities and vagueness.

Last edited by William Parcher; 24th September 2018 at 01:44 PM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 01:42 PM   #2300
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
For what it's worth the "During arrest" wording doesn't sound like it's referring to the shooting to me either, but it's not the best worded and/or not vague thing ever written.
It's almost like cops are sometimes not the best writers.

I've edited ad copy that was worse, though. So I'm not going to start throwing stones.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 01:49 PM   #2301
Checkmite

For what it's worth, the precise quote from the statement that's throwing me off is,

Quote:
An Internal Affairs investigation concluded that on September 9, 2018, Officer Guyger, #10702, engaged in adverse conduct when she was arrested for Manslaughter.
I suppose that it's possible this is meant to convey that the fact she was arrested for Manslaughter is what constitutes "adverse conduct" wrt whatever regulations under which she was employed; but that seems like a tortured reading.
Old 24th September 2018, 01:49 PM   #2302
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Because the shooting happened considerably before she was arrested, or at least that's my current understanding - that she was permitted to go home from the scene and wasn't arrested until sometime later (someone correct please if I am mistaken?).

I would expect a reference to the shooting to read something like "adverse conduct when she shot the victim", not "when she was arrested" which is something that happened later.
She was arrested 3 days later, imo. She turned herself in without any reported incident. There was video of her being processed into jail.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 01:49 PM   #2303
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

You can read post #2291. The Mayor says she was fired because she engaged in conduct that did lead to the loss of innocent life.
Old 24th September 2018, 01:53 PM   #2304
Checkmite

She was arrested 3 days later, imo. She turned herself in without any reported incident. There was video of her being processed into jail.
Right and that's the problem. The direct statement pretty clearly says she engaged in adverse conduct "on September 9" and "when she was arrested". She was arrested on September 9; but the shooting itself happened on the night of September 6 didn't it?
Old 24th September 2018, 02:01 PM   #2305
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Right and that's the problem. The direct statement pretty clearly says she engaged in adverse conduct "on September 9" and "when she was arrested". She was arrested on September 9; but the shooting itself happened on the night of September 6 didn't it?
The 9th is when she was officially was booked for manslaughter. manslaughter is the adverse conduct. Until she is officially charged, she hasn't officially done anything.

Here it seems possibly to be about statements made? Possibly during booking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slvKflzvAWU

Last edited by LTC8K6; 24th September 2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 24th September 2018, 02:03 PM   #2306
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

If she was fired for adverse conduct on the 9th, that means shooting Jean was not enough to get fired...

Old 24th September 2018, 02:03 PM   #2307
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

What behavior?
You'll have to ask whoever fired her. I said we had a hint, not a forty-page dissertation plus bibliography.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 02:03 PM   #2308
Fudbucker
Philosopher

I wonder why didn't empty her gun into the guy as cops sometimes do. Maybe after the second shot she realized her mistake?
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 02:04 PM   #2309
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
You'll have to ask whoever fired her. I said we had a hint, not a forty-page dissertation plus bibliography.
It's apparently in her statements somewhere, possibly statements we haven't seen yet.

Old 24th September 2018, 02:06 PM   #2310
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

It's not really that clear. It could either mean that or it could mean that was when they arrived at the conclusion. Obviously they arrived at some kind of conclusion about something the day they arrested her.

Old 24th September 2018, 02:06 PM   #2311
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
I wonder why didn't empty her gun into the guy as cops sometimes do. Maybe after the second shot she realized her mistake?
I want to know where the other shot hit.

Also would like to know if the walls would stop a bullet from entering another apartment.

Old 24th September 2018, 02:17 PM   #2312
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Also would like to know if the walls would stop a bullet from entering another apartment.
Earlier today I reviewed the Inside Edition video of his apartment showing much of the living room. I don't see any apparent bullet hole in the visible walls. That shot may have gone through a balcony window.

Anyway I'm just mentioning that I saw no bullet hole.
Old 24th September 2018, 02:21 PM   #2313
Distracted1
Illuminator

As unusual as the ramifications of this incident appear to be, I shudder to think how convoluted things would be if a bullet had penetrated a wall and hit someone in a third apartment instead of Jean.
Old 24th September 2018, 02:22 PM   #2314
Bob001
Philosopher

Walls would be wallboard on studs. If it's a well-designed building there might be sound insulation in the cavities, but that would be an extra expense. The walls wouldn't stop a bullet. People have been killed by random shots through interior and even exterior walls.
Old 24th September 2018, 02:25 PM   #2315
Elagabalus
Illuminator

If she was fired for adverse conduct on the 9th, that means shooting Jean was not enough to get fired...
I think that she was fired for what was determined (on September 9th) to be adverse conduct wrt events on September 6th.

ETA: IIRC, the guy who was illegally deer hunting at night and shot his neighbor wasn't charged for several days.

Last edited by Elagabalus; 24th September 2018 at 02:28 PM.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 02:28 PM   #2316
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
As unusual as the ramifications of this incident appear to be, I shudder to think how convoluted things would be if a bullet had penetrated a wall and hit someone in a third apartment instead of Jean.
That would pretty clearly be unintentional. But it could certainly be prosecuted as reckless discharge or something similar.
https://www.txcrimdefense.com/unlawf...rm-texas-laws/
Old 24th September 2018, 02:31 PM   #2317
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Earlier today I reviewed the Inside Edition video of his apartment showing much of the living room. I don't see any apparent bullet hole in the visible walls. That shot may have gone through a balcony window.

Anyway I'm just mentioning that I saw no bullet hole.
What about light switches? Why didn't Guyger turn on the light when she walked in? Presumedly, the switches both in hers and Jean's appt. were in the same position. Next to the door?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 02:34 PM   #2318
Checkmite

The 9th is when she was officially was booked for manslaughter. manslaughter is the adverse conduct. Until she is officially charged, she hasn't officially done anything.
I understand that; but then once she is officially charged I would still think they'd refer to the date of the "adverse conduct" as the date the crime was committed, not the date she was charged for it.
Old 24th September 2018, 02:39 PM   #2319
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
What about light switches? Why didn't Guyger turn on the light when she walked in? Presumedly, the switches both in hers and Jean's appt. were in the same position. Next to the door?
Yeah, I had thought about that. Usually the light switch will be within arm's length of the doorway.

It may be that she saw the figure silhouette before she reached for the switch. Then she doesn't turn the light on and instead draws her gun with that hand.
Old 24th September 2018, 02:42 PM   #2320
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Wasn't the victim's laptop broken? That would be one way that could happen without him having got it repaired or binned..
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events