IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags adam savage , jref , TAM 2014

Old 13th July 2014, 06:19 PM   #1
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Adam Savage Joins JREF Board

James Randi announced at TAM 2014 that Adam Savage of Mythbusters has joined the JREF Board of Directors.

Plausible.
Old 13th July 2014, 08:57 PM   #2
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
Plausible.

Confirmed!

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2014, 09:42 PM   #3
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Good.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2014, 10:02 PM   #4
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Where's the evidence?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2014, 10:22 PM   #5
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

I surmise we'll have to wait until Savage confirms it or JREF releases the video of Randi's closing remarks.
Old 13th July 2014, 10:24 PM   #6
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Or we strap Adam to Randi and see if he can fly.
Old 13th July 2014, 10:39 PM   #7
This is The End

Very Cool
Old 14th July 2014, 04:53 PM   #8
Olowkow
Philosopher

Excellent news! Can he fix the forum?
Olowkow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 05:41 PM   #9
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Olowkow View Post
Excellent news! Can he fix the forum?

I don't know, but he definitely could arrange for the server to explode!

smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 08:18 PM   #10
Olowkow
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
After this evening's server performance, I'm thinking it's just about to do so all by itself.
Olowkow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2014, 01:27 AM   #11
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I wonder how long before he works out that the forum exists? Or more seriously before he joins the forum?
Old 15th July 2014, 07:27 AM   #12
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I wonder how long before he works out that the forum exists? Or more seriously before he joins the forum?
Do you really want him running into mr Lindman or a gun thread? No good could come from that.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2014, 08:00 AM   #13
Doubt
Philosopher

People with a strong media presence don't generally hang out in places like this. Ends up with more attention than they would like.

Given that he has been associated with the JREF for some time now he has probably been aware of this place already anyway. If he does show up it may be just to look around. Or register an account with a different name and be anonymous to us.
Old 15th July 2014, 08:31 AM   #14
Olowkow
Philosopher

Maybe he and Jamie could use their considerable talents and funds to tackle a new myth:

JREF slowdowns are due to insufficient server memory.
  • Confirmed.
  • Plausible
  • Busted

Old 15th July 2014, 08:38 AM   #15
wardenclyffe
Master Poster

Who says he hasn't been here all along?

Ward
Old 15th July 2014, 09:53 AM   #16
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

I thought it already had exploded.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2014, 02:42 PM   #17
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by wardenclyffe View Post

Ward
I hope you are right. But I doubt it.
Old 15th July 2014, 03:39 PM   #18
George
Banned

Ward
Apparently the chaps name is Savage? Lets see if he's into Bayesian statistics. I wonder if he could convince his ginger assistant to tag along. I'm thinking calendars, you know, fund raising for a new server or something.
George is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2014, 07:20 PM   #19
Manopolus
Metaphorical Anomaly

I, for one, would like to welcome our new skeptical overlord.
Manopolus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2014, 08:39 PM   #20
Chris L
Graduate Poster

Ward
That was my thought. He might not be too active as time and the need to keep a low profile might constrain him, but he's probably lurked a bit.
Old 16th July 2014, 05:51 AM   #21
Spacetime Inhabitant
Student

Ward
Maybe he's a Vorlon - "We have always been here".
Spacetime Inhabitant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2014, 06:29 PM   #22
applecorped
Banned

So?
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2014, 08:05 PM   #23
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spacetime Inhabitant View Post
Maybe he's a Vorlon - "We have always been here".

You do not understand; but you will!

Old 16th July 2014, 10:34 PM   #24
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

You do not understand; but you will!
Understanding is a three-edged sword.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2014, 08:54 PM   #25
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

James Randi announced at TAM 2014 that Adam Savage of Mythbusters has joined the JREF Board of Directors.

I think it's a great choice that should help popularize the JREF and the causes it promotes, but I've already seen drama (surprise!) around this announcement in social media given Adam's apparent links to certain skeptic feminist individuals/groups.

This bull **** is getting SO *********** tiresome.

Last edited by AdMan; 17th July 2014 at 09:05 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2014, 08:03 PM   #26
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

On the front page (http://www.randi.org/site/) there is no mention of who the JREF Board of Directors are. Nor is there anywhere a mention of Adam.
Old 18th July 2014, 09:08 PM   #27
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

On the front page (http://www.randi.org/site/) there is no mention of who the JREF Board of Directors are. Nor is there anywhere a mention of Adam.
True. JREF is terrible about updating their site.
Old 18th July 2014, 11:46 PM   #28
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

True. JREF is terrible about updating their site.
True, you go to the press page and find it has not been updated since Feb 2012!
Old 20th July 2014, 02:19 AM   #29
Jono
Master Poster

I believe Adam already is a member of the forum. Nice to see Ginger... erhm, Adam join the BoD.
Old 20th July 2014, 04:41 PM   #30
Chris L
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
I think it's a great choice that should help popularize the JREF and the causes it promotes, but I've already seen drama (surprise!) around this announcement in social media given Adam's apparent links to certain skeptic feminist individuals/groups.

What possible reason could any thinking being have for objecting to Savage joining JREF?
Old 22nd July 2014, 01:01 PM   #31
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chris L View Post
What possible reason could any thinking being have for objecting to Savage joining JREF?
Hipsterism.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2014, 02:33 PM   #32
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chris L View Post
Some feminist or egalitarian will object soon enough. Just wait.
Old 23rd July 2014, 03:26 AM   #33
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post

So, is he a rape culture/patriarchy apologist? Or a skeptic hating SJW? I can't get to a whole lot of social media because the really swell military government here seems to be erecting its own Great Firewall of Soi Walking Street. I can get to a page here and there, but if I try to read anything, it invariably times out on me. Trying to keep up with the excitement of the Atheist/Skeptic infighting has been impossible for the last three weeks.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2014, 01:57 PM   #34
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
So, is he a rape culture/patriarchy apologist? Or a skeptic hating SJW? I can't get to a whole lot of social media because the really swell military government here seems to be erecting its own Great Firewall of Soi Walking Street. [...].
Yes. EXACTLY. It's that rape culture/ patriarchy apologist!!!

Old 24th July 2014, 02:28 PM   #35
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

I heard he's a real Savage.

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2014, 12:29 PM   #36
idoubtit
Critical Thinker

The website situation is a very complicated and difficult one. It is a high priority for the organization.

We are actively working on it.

Questions, comments, concerns can be sent to Sharon@randi.org

That would be me.
idoubtit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF