IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Future of Forum , ISF , new forum

Old 20th September 2014, 06:19 PM   #1
wardenclyffe
Master Poster

The new JREF website

Well, the new and improved JREF website is up and running at http://web.randi.org/

It appears as though the forum has been "improved" right off the page. That happened faster than I was expecting. I thought they were going to keep linking to the forum even when it was no longer the JREF forum.

Ward
Old 20th September 2014, 07:07 PM   #2
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
No, I don't see a link to the forum there.
Orphia Nay is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2014, 07:40 PM   #3
Apathia
Philosopher

The divorce is final.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2014, 08:35 PM   #4
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

That's it? This is the great new website they've been working all this time on?

What a huge disappointment.

And, yeah, no link to the forum anymore, after they said they would keep a link for a while. Even more disappointing, but perhaps not surprising.

Last edited by AdMan; 20th September 2014 at 08:40 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2014, 11:12 PM   #5
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Revenge. This forum does not have a link to the new website. The link still goes to the old website. It needs fixing.

Edit. It appears that there is a redirection from the old site to the new site. I wonder if it has just gone in?

Last edited by rjh01; 20th September 2014 at 11:15 PM.
rjh01 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2014, 11:48 PM   #6
wardenclyffe
Master Poster

For me it still links to the old randi.org.

Ward
Old 21st September 2014, 12:55 AM   #7
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by wardenclyffe View Post
For me it still links to the old randi.org.

Ward
Did you click on it?

The forum banner link to the JREF shows as www.randi.org.

When you click on it, it redirects to web.randi.org, the new site.
Orphia Nay is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2014, 01:21 AM   #8
wardenclyffe
Master Poster

I did and it went to the old site. Now it goes to the new one. Perhaps it was going to a cached copy before.

Ward
Old 21st September 2014, 04:29 PM   #9
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

They moved from Joomla, a CMS, to using weebly, a drag and drop website builder. Presumably the free version....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebly

http://www.weebly.com/

Makes the old Joomla site look sophisticated, and that's saying something since it was stuck in the 1990s.
Why do I still get the impression they haven't a clue about website design at Randi.org
and are saving money by not employing professionals even to design and build the new site ?

Last edited by Rrose Selavy; 21st September 2014 at 04:32 PM.
Rrose Selavy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2014, 04:36 PM   #10
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

We're all going to die.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:07 AM   #11
Wolfman
Chief Solipsistic
Autosycophant

Wow...I hope that is just a temporary thing, while they're working on something better...
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:43 AM   #12
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Wow...I hope that is just a temporary thing, while they're working on something better...
Breath - not holding!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:46 AM   #13
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
We're all going to die.
Yes. Sooner or later. And humanity will go extinct. Sooner or later. And the universe will go to heat death.

Thankfully this has nothing to do with the new web site design which looks... Bland and really not that interresting.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2014, 01:52 AM   #14
Rasmus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Why would they announce their new design as just that, if it was a temporary fix only?
Old 22nd September 2014, 04:06 AM   #15
DarthFishy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Rrose Selavy View Post
They moved from Joomla, a CMS, to using weebly, a drag and drop website builder. Presumably the free version....

Makes the old Joomla site look sophisticated, and that's saying something since it was stuck in the 1990s.
Why do I still get the impression they haven't a clue about website design at Randi.org
and are saving money by not employing professionals even to design and build the new site ?
Are you sure it's weebly? The source code looks like Wordpress.

Just wondering how you know what it's built in.
Old 22nd September 2014, 05:41 AM   #16
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

It looks oversimplified, but at least it's important features are easy enough to access. (Well, except the Forums, of course.)

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2014, 06:05 AM   #17
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

"Site down for unexpected maintenance. We'll be back online soon."
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2014, 06:05 AM   #18
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DarthFishy View Post

If you go to dev tools -> style editor in Firefox, the first item defining the layout of the page refers back to editmysite.com, which is Weebly.

And yeah, I have to agree that it looks absolutely terrible. Far too much wasted space. Seriously, half my screen is just plain white. And while it may be a little unfair to criticise it for a lack of content when they're in the middle of reorganising both the site and the JREF as a whole, but I'm struggling to see why anyone would want to visit the site at all at the moment. The Swift section currently has three posts, two just linking to content elsewhere, and one promising that there will be content any time now, honest. The main site has basically nothing. A couple of podcasts which are mostly inactive. Some links to buy Randi's books. An application form for the MDC (but virtually no information about what it actually is). And that's basically it.

Usually if you're going to do an overhaul like this, you have things in place ready for the grand reopening. Not "Here's a placeholder site, we'll have some content for it along soon. Hopefully".
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2014, 06:28 AM   #19
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

Originally Posted by DarthFishy View Post

I use a Chrome extension called Wappalyzer. (also for FF I think)
It's been made to look like WordPress though.
Any of the free templates for WP would have been better than this non event of a design.

Apparently DG Grothe was given the JREF office's last copy of Microsoft FrontPage as a leaving present,
so they had to er... improvise.

Last edited by Rrose Selavy; 22nd September 2014 at 06:35 AM.
Rrose Selavy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2014, 07:12 AM   #20
Doubt
Philosopher

Reminds me of what the site looked like before there was a forum. Looks like a big step backwards.
Old 22nd September 2014, 07:20 AM   #21
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

They have a link to the old site that just goes back to the new site. That's useful.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2014, 08:53 AM   #22
Michel H
Banned

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
They have a link to the old site that just goes back to the new site. That's useful.
Yes, this seems to be an error. You can see the old site here:
http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=ran...ST-6sacKPdczaq, courtesy of Microsoft's Bing.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2014, 01:15 PM   #23
Cainkane1
Philosopher

I have a question and if the question is stupid then I apologise beforehand but how do you get to the forum from the new forum front page?
Old 22nd September 2014, 01:29 PM   #24
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
I have a question and if the question is stupid then I apologise beforehand but how do you get to the forum from the new forum front page?
This thread is about the new JREF site which doesn't include the forum any more. You can't get here from there (at least not by a link on the page, of course).

If you are referring to some other forum front page it would help if you posted a link or a screen shot.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 22nd September 2014 at 01:30 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2014, 02:06 PM   #25
wardenclyffe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Do you mean from here?: http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/

Just click on Forum Index and start exploring.

Ward
Old 22nd September 2014, 10:56 PM   #26
DarthFishy
Graduate Poster

I use a Chrome extension called Wappalyzer. (also for FF I think)
It's been made to look like WordPress though.
Any of the free templates for WP would have been better than this non event of a design.
Ah thanks that makes sense. Should have a look at that app...
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:33 AM   #27
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post

And yeah, I have to agree that it looks absolutely terrible. Far too much wasted space. Seriously, half my screen is just plain white.<snip>
Just been involved with a website redesign. The page looks like it is designed for a tablet. View it there and it looks fine. If you do not have access to a tablet then here is an exercise for you. Reduce the size of the browser significantly. You will notice that you cannot read a line of text without using your mouse or keyboard. Or just use a phone and you will have the same issue.

Now go here http://rsi.org.au/ and repeat the same exercise. You will always be able to read a line of text no matter how small you make your browser. Yes if you have a big screen then there will be lots of white on the page.
Old 23rd September 2014, 01:30 AM   #28
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post

And yeah, I have to agree that it looks absolutely terrible. Far too much wasted space. Seriously, half my screen is just plain white.
I know this is anathema to web designers, who seem obsessed with cramming every available bell and whistle in , but to old, grey peeps like me, who grew up reading actual books printed on processed pulp, white space is actually rather reassuring.

I prefer it to the previous appearance.

I agree there's not much on there content-wise, but presumably that will follow.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2014, 07:34 PM   #29
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
I know this is anathema to web designers, who seem obsessed with cramming every available bell and whistle in , but to old, grey peeps like me, who grew up reading actual books printed on processed pulp, white space is actually rather reassuring.

I prefer it to the previous appearance.

I agree there's not much on there content-wise, but presumably that will follow.
I actually like the minimalist, heavy-on-white-space design, myself.

But then, I appreciate the Windows 8 "flat" UI design aesthetic as well, and although I'm far from alone, it's also far from a majority I think.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2014, 12:21 PM   #30
r-j
Banned

I like it. The very first link goes to a video with Randi in it.

Thanks.
r-j is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2014, 01:48 PM   #31
jojonete

I'm surprised by this part of the the MDC terms and conditions:
Quote:
2.3 Does my claim count as paranormal?

Past claims have included: psychic or mediumistic powers, ESP, dowsing, magnetic humans, astrology, faith healing, etc. Read through the JREF forum for a list of previous applicants if you’d like to see whether or not your claim has been tested before. A partial list can be found at: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...splay.php?f=43
I thought this was no longer "the JREF forum".

ETA: Looks like Ocelot found it before.

Last edited by jojonete; 8th October 2014 at 01:58 PM.
jojonete is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2014, 02:36 PM   #32
idoubtit
Critical Thinker

As with the Forum hardware/software, there were issues with the Joomla site. It was a bit of a bear to edit, for one. This Weebly version is temporary, meant to be good for mobile devices and to emphasize the basics.

Can't please everyone, sorry.

Sharon
Sharon@randi.org

PS - I will do a post announcing the forum move.
idoubtit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2014, 03:12 PM   #33
wardenclyffe
Master Poster

And a link to the forum from the JREF site?

Thanks,

Ward
Old 21st October 2014, 09:59 AM   #34
wardenclyffe
Master Poster

Thank you, Sharon.

http://web.randi.org/home/internatio...orum-sets-sail

Ward

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF