IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th November 2014, 10:12 AM   #1
Startz
Muse

NY Times article about Randi

For those who may not have seen the NY Times article,

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/09/ma...pgtype=article
Startz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2014, 10:56 AM   #2
fuelair
Banned

That would doubtless be interesting if I was a NYT subscriber, but it seems to not want to come up if I am not and do not intend to become one. Which, by no coincidence, is the case!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2014, 11:08 AM   #3
icerat
Philosopher

I'm not a subscriber, came up fine for me.
Old 8th November 2014, 06:01 PM   #4
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Amazing. The article says that Randi made Geller famous. How counter-intuitive.
Old 8th November 2014, 06:35 PM   #5
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by icerat View Post
I'm not a subscriber, came up fine for me.
I managed to read it too. I think the NYT does try and block me but I stop the page from loading before it does.

Nice article.

I really doubt that Randi helped Geller's career -- Geller spends very little time in the USA where the good money is.
Old 30th November 2020, 07:12 PM   #6
Timur
Student

NYT article on Randi

Seems like an interesting fellow, but alas,, got the paywall..but:
wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Randi
Timur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 04:05 AM   #7
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Timur View Post
Seems like an interesting fellow, but alas,, got the paywall..but:
wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Randi
You are aware of the history of this forum and it's connection to the "interesting fellow"?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 06:19 AM   #8
Timur
Student

Not really, no .. care to enlighten?
Timur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 07:49 AM   #9
bluesjnr

Not really, no .. care to enlighten?
This forum hasn't always went by the name you see now, it used to be the James Randi Educational Forum (JREF). The vast majority of members are here specifically due to Randi.

There are hundreds of posts herein about the man, the annual TAM meetings and so on. Periodically, though not often, Randi himself would participate. You'd be hard pushed to find a long standing member here who wasn't intimately aware of him and his lifes work, many of whom who have met him.

Haven't you noticed all the Randi avatars? They are in memorium as Randi died back in Oct. this year. His face is in our banner above.

Start here......

https://web.randi.org/home/internati...orum-sets-sail

Last edited by bluesjnr; 1st December 2020 at 07:51 AM.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2020, 07:09 PM   #10
Timur
Student

Thanks for the info! Very brilliant writer. Look forward to reading more.
Old 7th December 2020, 01:18 AM   #11
bluesjnr

Thanks for the info! Very brilliant writer. Look forward to reading more.
Happy to help!

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF