IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th January 2015, 04:29 AM   #1
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

The Amazing Randi steps down

Announcement on the JREF site:

Quote:
At 86 years of age, I feel that it’s now well time to officially retire, so I’m stepping down from my position with the JREF – the James Randi Educational Foundation.
Quote:
Message from the Board

We regretfully accept James Randi’s decision to retire from the foundation that bears his name. We will be good stewards as we make plans for the JREF’s future.

Randi has our thanks and gratitude for inspiring us and countless others to think more clearly, not just about the paranormal but about all matters of the universe we live in. May his ferocity, his wit, and his relentless demand for good evidence continue to make our world a better place!

This July 16-19, The Amaz!ng Meeting (TAM) will celebrate Randi’s long and productive career. Randi has enthusiastically agreed to be our featured guest. We hope you will join him and friends from around the world. The full schedule and the registration website are under development. In the meantime, please save those dates.

Rick Adams
Chip Denman
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 04:30 AM   #2
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Didn't see that coming.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 04:42 AM   #3
FenerFan
Illuminator

James Randi retires from JREF

Quote:
At 86 years of age, I feel that it’s now well time to officially retire, so I’m stepping down from my position with the JREF – the James Randi Educational Foundation.
http://web.randi.org/home/an-amazng-...o-be-continued

Eighty-six seems like a good age to slow things down. Enjoy your retirement Mr. Randi.

Last edited by FenerFan; 28th January 2015 at 04:45 AM.
FenerFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 04:55 AM   #4
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

86? That's amazing.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 04:58 AM   #5
realpaladin
Master Poster

Thank you Mr. Randi. Enjoy!
realpaladin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 05:09 AM   #6
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Well done, Mr. Randi. Enjoy your well-deserved retirement.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 05:23 AM   #7
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Good for him.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 05:23 AM   #8
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
Well done, Mr. Randi. Enjoy your well-deserved retirement.
A truly amazing life so far. The next fifty years should be awesome.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 05:58 AM   #9
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Once the forum left, there was really no reason to continue.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 06:14 AM   #10
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

He can't be 86! I've been following him since the weekly email newsletters in the late '90s, and remember when he just turned 70.

Oh.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 06:20 AM   #11
Dubious Dick
Muse

Am sure I am just one of many who have been inspired to do skeptical stuff by Randi. My guess is that he is singlehandedly responsible for a great many doing the same, including many far more distinguished and effective than moi.

I hope that we will see tributes pour in for his long service to a great and vital cause.

Good on yer Mr Amazing!
Old 28th January 2015, 06:49 AM   #12
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Luckily, he'll be at TAM this year, as will I.

I suspect this is the end of the JREF. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if they merged it with the Skeptic Society. It's been discussed in the past.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 10:03 AM   #13
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 10:04 AM   #14
Locknar
Sum of all evils tm

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post

I suspect this is the end of the JREF. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if they merged it with the Skeptic Society. It's been discussed in the past.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 28th January 2015, 10:53 AM   #15
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Locknar View Post
My thoughts exactly.
I was thinking this yesterday after reading the latest post in the "What's up with the JREF site?" thread. No real news, no updates, no traffic, etc. I thought... hell, he should just semi-retire and take it a bit easier at this point.

86 and a monster run for skepticism... well done Randi. All the best.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 11:26 AM   #16
idoubtit
Critical Thinker

Randi has nothing to do with the web site. It's currently difficult to get new material, I have repeatedly asked. I only run the website part-time and can not (and should not) provide a big portion of the content. If you would like to contribute... editor@randi.org

As you might imagine, this is a time of transition for the org. It's not the end of the JREF. This upcoming TAM will include a celebration of Mr. Randi and his extraordinary contributions. Planning that event is the current focus.
idoubtit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 12:23 PM   #17
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks, Sharon. We can't help being concerned.
Old 28th January 2015, 02:07 PM   #18
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Will the name change? Or will it be something that has a name that has outlived its relevance?

Edit. James Randi has changed the way we think. Several scams would have gone on for years longer unchallenged but for him.

Last edited by rjh01; 28th January 2015 at 02:08 PM.
rjh01 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 04:26 PM   #19
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by idoubtit View Post
It's not the end of the JREF. This upcoming TAM will include a celebration of Mr. Randi and his extraordinary contributions.
No, it's not the end right this minute, but I suspect it will be after TAM.

I hope Ray puts together a great lineup!

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 05:10 PM   #20
JihadJane
not a camel

Where's the one million dollars?
JihadJane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 05:11 PM   #21
Childlike Empress
Banned

Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
Where's the one million dollars?

icerat donated it to amway.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2015, 08:03 PM   #22
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Though I was still in my early teens back then, I can point to my reading Randi's book on Uri Geller (I think I found it in a used bookstore still with the old title The Magic of Uri Geller) as the seminal event that started me on my road to skepticism.

Thank you for everything, James Randi, and enjoy your well-deserved retirement.

I'm looking forward to thanking you in person at TAM 2015.
Old 28th January 2015, 08:33 PM   #23
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, it wouldn't surprise me if the JREF (who's left as a figurehead? DJ Grothe? Adam Savage?) and TAM as we know it, will be essentially over now that Randi is retiring.

Let's hope that other skeptical organizations and events take their place, and hopefully eventually surpass them.

A merge with the Skeptic Society wouldn't surprise me either, and may be positive in the medium to long term, Shermer notwithstanding.
Old 29th January 2015, 03:15 AM   #24
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Whatever happened to DJ Grothe anyway? I believe he's gone?

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2015, 04:29 AM   #25
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
Whatever happened to DJ Grothe anyway? I believe he's gone?
Yep.
Old 29th January 2015, 08:44 AM   #26
Denver
Penultimate Amazing

If I were a suspicious person, I would imagine contract arguments at the JREF, where Randi's salary had been dropping since it was based as a percentage of JREF's revenue which was also dropping. By leaving, Randi will be able to make more now that he can do appearances and presentations under his own purview and not under the JREF salary.

But that is probably a bit off the map. He certainly deserves a good retirement. And it sounds like the JREF plans to continue the challenge, along with a more educational direction.

I wish them all the best.
Old 29th January 2015, 02:53 PM   #27
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

All events in the last few years point to a severe pruning and scaling down, not helped by internal conflicts and personnel "issues". However the new JREF website and disassociation from the forum, shows that too often it can be its own worst enemy.
I suspect when the inevitable happens for a mortal Randi some sort of educational legacy or award will be set up in his name. As for the Million Dollar prize and the future of TAM. who knows, though some sort of major conference type event will probably continue in some form (with or without mergers) as long as TAM makes a profit.

Last edited by Rrose Selavy; 29th January 2015 at 04:18 PM.
Rrose Selavy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2015, 03:52 PM   #28
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™

At 86, the Amaz!ng one has certainly earned his retirement, and he's had a very interesting life to date. Now that this may well be the last TAM, though, I think I will have to make an effort to attend.

*starts planning*
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2015, 03:55 PM   #29
Alpha1
New Blood

A Fond Farewell

This is Mike Edwards, one of the two Project Alpha guys. I've had the privilege of calling Randi a personal friend for over 30 years now. It was his "Magic of Uri Geller" that got both Banachek and I interested in skepticism. And it ultimately led to us creating Project Alpha to show that parapsychologists could be easily fooled by using their pro-bias mindset against themselves.

After decades of entertaining and educating, what could be a better send off than traveling around the world, meeting your fans after they get to see your life story told in "An Honest Liar"? Very rewarding for a man who has made a large impact on a lot of people. Regardless of whether the JREF continues or not, the fact that Randi was able shape the skeptical discourse as he has for all these years is testament to a man who cares with all his heart.

Enjoy your retirement Randi, and THANK YOU my friend!
Alpha1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2015, 06:07 PM   #30
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Thank you, Randi, for all the years of entertainment and enlightenment. Thinking back to 30 or 40 years ago, it is difficult to remember the prevalence of paranormal beliefs, the persistence of gullibility, and the lack of critical thinking. We have a long way to go, but you have taken us a long way down the path toward truth. If not for you, the MDC, and the JREF, I don’t believe I would think quite the same, or even be quite the same. It has been like a veil lifted to clearly and honestly see the world, and life.

Have a pleasant and rewarding, well-deserved retirement!
Old 29th January 2015, 07:53 PM   #31
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Has anyone managed to log into the TAM 2015 site as yet? Does it exist? Because I can't find it. Links from JREF and Swift link to the 2014 site.
Old 29th January 2015, 10:54 PM   #32
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
This is Mike Edwards, one of the two Project Alpha guys. I've had the privilege of calling Randi a personal friend for over 30 years now. It was his "Magic of Uri Geller" that got both Banachek and I interested in skepticism. And it ultimately led to us creating Project Alpha to show that parapsychologists could be easily fooled by using their pro-bias mindset against themselves.

After decades of entertaining and educating, what could be a better send off than traveling around the world, meeting your fans after they get to see your life story told in "An Honest Liar"? Very rewarding for a man who has made a large impact on a lot of people. Regardless of whether the JREF continues or not, the fact that Randi was able shape the skeptical discourse as he has for all these years is testament to a man who cares with all his heart.

Enjoy your retirement Randi, and THANK YOU my friend!

Hear, hear! It was nice to see you and Banachek on stage with Randi a couple of years ago for the Project Alpha reunion. You guys had a huge effect on how science viewed psychic phenomena, and it certainly gave skepticism a big boost. Thanks for your efforts.
Old 29th January 2015, 10:58 PM   #33
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Has anyone managed to log into the TAM 2015 site as yet? Does it exist? Because I can't find it. Links from JREF and Swift link to the 2014 site.

Don't know what the timing is this year, but registration has historically opened later in the year. I'd be patient, especially since newbies are apparently running things this time.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2015, 01:41 PM   #34
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

All thanks to Randi. Although I might have heard his name before and seen him briefly on TV prior, my first real exposure (where I was able to fully pay attention to what he was saying) was during an appearance on Larry King's show, where he was debating Sylvia Browne. I thought he presented himself well enough to look into JREF, and ultimately the forum. Since then, my attitude has changed... I'm better at recognizing B.S., know what arguments are valid and which are bunk, and overall I'm better for it.

I think we should take up a collection to have him frozen in carbonite so that future generations can benefit from him.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2015, 01:50 PM   #35
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
Don't know what the timing is this year, but registration has historically opened later in the year. I'd be patient, especially since newbies are apparently running things this time.
Fair enough. But I was just confused (I know that does not take much to do) by the e-mail I got from Swift (with Randi's face and SIGNATURE )
Quote:
We hope you'll join us for The Amaz!ng Meeting 2015!
directing me to: http://web.randi.org/events.html that directs me to: http://www.amazingmeeting.com/

I'll try and be patient.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF