IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags jref

Old 3rd September 2015, 04:43 AM   #1
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

The Future of the JREF

JREF Status

Quote:
Since James Randi's retirement earlier this year, the Board has considered how to continue the Foundation without his direct involvement.

The Board has decided that it will convert the foundation into a grant making foundation.

Starting in 2016, we will be making grants to non-profit groups that we believe are promoting activities that encourage critical thinking and a fact-based world view. We expect to make a small number of grants each year totaling approximately $100,000 per year. We will NOT accept suggestions, applications or proposals for these grants. We hope they will come as a pleasant surprise to the recipients, just as Randi's MacArthur foundation grant was a pleasant surprise to him.
About the Challenge:

Quote:
We plan on continuing the Million Dollar Challenge as a means for educating the public about paranormal claims.

Effective immediately, JREF will no longer accept applications directly from people claiming to have a paranormal power. We will however offer our Challenge to anyone who has passed a preliminary test that meets with our approval. We will provide example protocols early next year. Of course, any established psychic may always contact JREF to be tested directly (preferably with an independent, third party TV crew.)

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2015, 04:52 AM   #2
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

End of an era.
I assumed Deyvi would take over, but alas, this is not to be.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2015, 05:03 AM   #3
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

They could re-write the Challenge application form. IMHO it is a bit of a mess and has been for years. Looks like it was written as Randi dictated it on a carefree Saturday afternoon, not as a well-constructed legal form.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2015, 05:32 AM   #4
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

It shows they are in slow decline and they know it.
Old 3rd September 2015, 06:04 AM   #5
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
End of an era.
I assumed Deyvi would take over, but alas, this is not to be.
Has he shown any sign of involvement in the JREF's work, since appearing as Carlos?

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
It shows they are in slow decline and they know it.
There isn't very much there that can decline, the JREF itself is just about as small as it can get without disappearing. I don't know what the figures for the last two TAMs were, but they were growing in size up until two years ago; that the JREF has decided to stop organising TAM isn't to do with the size of it decreasing. I've seen it suggested elsewhere that it's all about a major donor wanting to maintain control, and not be overshadowed by the mass of a community attached to the JREF (hence casting the forum adrift, among other actions).
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2015, 06:07 AM   #6
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

What happens to the million dollars if the doors close?
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2015, 06:58 AM   #7
fuelair
Banned

They quietly estivate for a century or two........
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2015, 04:30 PM   #8
fromdownunder
Philosopher

I would suggest that it goes back to the individual who provided the funds in the first place. It was never JREF's money.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2015, 06:35 PM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Is the full membership of the board listed anywhere?

I fondly remember waiting every week for Friday to come so I could read the new Swift. It makes me sad.
Old 3rd September 2015, 08:23 PM   #10
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Has he shown any sign of involvement in the JREF's work, since appearing as Carlos?

There isn't very much there that can decline, the JREF itself is just about as small as it can get without disappearing. I don't know what the figures for the last two TAMs were, but they were growing in size up until two years ago; that the JREF has decided to stop organising TAM isn't to do with the size of it decreasing. I've seen it suggested elsewhere that it's all about a major donor wanting to maintain control, and not be overshadowed by the mass of a community attached to the JREF (hence casting the forum adrift, among other actions).
A few years ago there were 5 on the staff. Now it probably is as you say about as small as it can get. A one person organisation?
Old 3rd September 2015, 08:27 PM   #11
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm guessing it returns to the ownership of the millionaire who put the money up. I don't recall his name but Harriet Hall has been to his house.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2015, 08:27 PM   #12
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Is the full membership of the board listed anywhere?

I fondly remember waiting every week for Friday to come so I could read the new Swift. It makes me sad.
Try looking here https://www.guidestar.org/organizati...spx#financials.
Old 3rd September 2015, 10:53 PM   #13
Joey McGee
Banned

The million dollars came from Rick Adams, who`s still running things. I`m guessing the challenge will remain as long as there are psychic television shows. So, most of us will be dead by then...
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2015, 11:02 PM   #14
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
A few years ago there were 5 on the staff. Now it probably is as you say about as small as it can get. A one person organisation?
Two - Chip Denman and Rick Adams. They're basically the whole organisation now.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2015, 12:46 AM   #15
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
They could re-write the Challenge application form. IMHO it is a bit of a mess and has been for years. Looks like it was written as Randi dictated it on a carefree Saturday afternoon, not as a well-constructed legal form.
See the original post. They are no longer accepting applications. There is no application anymore. It has been removed from their website.

It is listed as a restricted asset on the 990. A number of years ago JREF was planning on ending the MDC and using the million dollars for other purposes. Adams probably put restrictions on the use of the money when he donated it. But that doesn’t really matter now because with JREF being just Adams and Denman, Adams probably has the authority to just decide to do whatever he wants with the money. I expect it would be given away as a grant or grants. I’m sure Randi would have an unofficial say that would be considered.

With Randi retired and the JREF no longer accepting memberships or donations, they won’t have much income. Investment returns on the million. Maybe some money from TAM. Maybe they can get $100,000 per year.

This sounds like a going out of business sale. Start dumping off the money while they try to find someone to take over the MDC and TAM.

ETA: Doubtful News says Sharon Hill is no longer with JREF.

Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 4th September 2015 at 12:55 AM.
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2015, 08:26 AM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post

ETA: Doubtful News says Sharon Hill is no longer with JREF.
Hadn't seen that. She seemed to be the entire staff for a while.
Old 4th September 2015, 08:49 AM   #17
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Hadn't seen that. She seemed to be the entire staff for a while.
She was, apart from Mr Adams dancing on the hidden parts of the forum in hobnail boots.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2015, 10:22 AM   #18
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
She was, apart from Mr Adams dancing on the hidden parts of the forum in hobnail boots.
I assume that refers to before the split?

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF