IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th January 2016, 03:53 AM   #1
Paul Bethke
Philosopher

Million Dollar Challenge has been terminated.

So I read that the million Dollar challenge is terminated –is that true?

http://web.randi.org/the-million-dollar-challenge.html
Luke 21:31---Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that the Kingdom of God is near.
Paul Bethke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2016, 03:55 AM   #2
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Didn't we know this was coming?
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2016, 04:44 AM   #3
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Not terminated completely, just changing...
Quote:
We plan on continuing the Million Dollar Challenge as a means for educating the public about paranormal claims, but the process for consideration of claims has been changed effective September 1, 2015. No application submitted under the previous procedures or relying in whole or in part on the previously published terms of the Challenge will be considered.

[...]

Effective immediately, JREF will no longer accept applications directly from people claiming to have a paranormal power. Previously available Application Forms shall not be used and will be rejected without any review of the contents. We anticipate providing minimum required protocols for the preliminary test early next year. No one should make any effort to pursue the Challenge until those minimum required protocols are issued. The only exception is that any established psychic may contact JREF via email to be tested directly (preferably with an independent, third party TV crew.)
http://web.randi.org/home/jref-status
Old 20th January 2016, 05:01 AM   #4
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
The Internet Wayback Machine records the "termination" announcement on the MDC page to have been made last September, same time as the last JREF status update that Brian-M quotes (http://web.randi.org/home/jref-status).

Previously, the MDC page held instructions and a link to the MDC application form. I think the "termination" refers specifically to the previous application process. JREF has been known to be somewhat cryptic/vague in its online statements.
Old 20th January 2016, 05:01 AM   #5
Wrong Number
Student

That is too bad. It's something I often point people who are so sure of supernatural nonsense.
Wrong Number is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2016, 05:03 AM   #6
Paul Bethke
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brian-M View Post
Not terminated completely, just changing...

http://web.randi.org/home/jref-status

Well to my understanding “terminate” means to stop, discontinue—put an end.
bring to an end.
"he was advised to terminate the contract"
synonyms: bring to an end, end, bring to a close/conclusion, close, conclude, finish, stop, put an end to, put a stop to, wind up, discontinue, break off, cease, cut short, bring to an untimely end, abort;
Luke 21:31---Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that the Kingdom of God is near.
Paul Bethke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2016, 05:08 AM   #7
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

The application process has been terminated. If you want to quibble, contact the JREF. This board is no longer associated with them.
Old 20th January 2016, 05:12 AM   #8
Psi Baba
Homo Skepticalis

Either way, it's gone unclaimed long enough that it proved its point.

There is a cult of ignorance . . . nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge. -- Isaac Asimov
Psi Baba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2016, 05:13 AM   #9
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

You think a psychic could prove they're the real deal by having applied BEFORE the end of the Challenge.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2016, 05:24 AM   #10
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

The problem was that, mostly, only the nutjobs applied, and frequently either refused or were mentally unable to distill their claims to a testable statement. JREF wasted a lot of time with these while the popular paranormal advocates that JREF would have preferred to test disparaged the challenge and stayed far away from it, like any fraud would.
Old 20th January 2016, 05:27 AM   #11
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Paul Bethke View Post
So I read that the million Dollar challenge is terminated –is that true?

http://web.randi.org/the-million-dollar-challenge.html
You are about a year out of date.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2016, 05:48 AM   #12
Paul Bethke
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
You are about a year out of date.
So what does that mean—was it terminated a year ago, so what is the present situation?
Old 20th January 2016, 05:59 AM   #13
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

So what does that mean—was it terminated a year ago, so what is the present situation?
Why are you asking me - you need to contact the JREF for any information that isn't on their website.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2016, 06:03 AM   #14
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

If you actually have the power of God, then it should be necessary for you to ask us mere humans for any information.
Old 20th January 2016, 06:23 AM   #15
Paul Bethke
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
If you actually have the power of God, then it should be necessary for you to ask us mere humans for any information.
But I am also flesh and blood, dependent on information—my status does not elevate me among the fellow humans, it just gives me an insight into the will of the Creator.
Old 20th January 2016, 06:24 AM   #16
Paul Bethke
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Why are you asking me - you need to contact the JREF for any information that isn't on their website.
Well thanks any way
Old 20th January 2016, 06:35 AM   #17
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

You have paranormal powers but can't find the link on the page you've been pointed at?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2016, 07:01 AM   #18
Crossbow

But I am also flesh and blood, dependent on information—my status does not elevate me among the fellow humans, it just gives me an insight into the will of the Creator.
My grandfather used to say "A man can only make a fool of himself".
Old 20th January 2016, 07:10 AM   #19
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Guess that will free up your Thursdays, then.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2016, 07:24 AM   #20
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

I think it was necessary ... It seems the new application procedure will start AFTER the claimants have already convinced a TV News crew AND have affidavits to back your claims

It seems reasonable ... if you can't fool a TV News crew and a couple of local skeptics there is NO chance your claim is real.

BUT!! ... I'll miss reading the claims and protocol suggestions on the board here
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2016, 07:38 AM   #21
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Still terminated.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2016, 08:45 AM   #22
Paul Bethke
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Guess that will free up your Thursdays, then.

Greetings
Yes you are correct—Thursdays are the days I envisage as the day.
Old 20th January 2016, 08:47 AM   #23
Paul Bethke
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
You have paranormal powers but can't find the link on the page you've been pointed at?

Just needed to make sure.
Old 20th January 2016, 08:55 AM   #24
Paul Bethke
Philosopher

Well he could be a wise man--Pro_10:8 The wise in heart accept commands, but a chattering fool comes to ruin.
Old 20th January 2016, 10:31 AM   #25
Crossbow

Well he could be a wise man--Pro_10:8 The wise in heart accept commands, but a chattering fool comes to ruin.
Proverbs 10 contains a number of good maxims and here are a few which I think are quite appropriate:

A wise son make a glad father,
But a foolish son is a sorrow to his mother.

The wise of heart will receive commandments,
But a babbling fool will come to ruin.

On the lips of him who has understanding, wisdom is found.
But a a rod is for the back of him who lacks sense.

The lips of the righteous feed many,
But fools die for lack of sense.
Old 20th January 2016, 11:49 AM   #26
Paul Bethke
Philosopher

Proverbs 10 contains a number of good maxims and here are a few which I think are quite appropriate:

A wise son make a glad father,
But a foolish son is a sorrow to his mother.

The wise of heart will receive commandments,
But a babbling fool will come to ruin.

On the lips of him who has understanding, wisdom is found.
But a a rod is for the back of him who lacks sense.

The lips of the righteous feed many,
But fools die for lack of sense.
Then I comprehend, that you are a wise man?
Old 20th January 2016, 01:29 PM   #27
Crossbow

I am not nearly as wise as I should be, but at least I have the good sense not to publish absurd things like a "blinding list".
Old 20th January 2016, 01:34 PM   #28
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

If he claims to be a wise man, that surely means he doesn't know.

Carry on.

Last edited by alfaniner; 20th January 2016 at 01:43 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2016, 09:33 PM   #29
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

I am not nearly as wise as I should be, but at least I have the good sense not to publish absurd things like a "blinding list".
Or un-withered grass.
Old 20th January 2016, 09:42 PM   #30
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Wrong Number View Post
That is too bad. It's something I often point people who are so sure of supernatural nonsense.
There are a ton of other challenges still operating all over the world. I don't think many of them have the backing of a million dollars, but I bet if you added them all up...

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 03:37 AM   #31
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Hi Paul. So nice to see you,
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2016, 03:49 AM   #32
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
The problem was that, mostly, only the nutjobs applied, and frequently either refused or were mentally unable to distill their claims to a testable statement. JREF wasted a lot of time with these while the popular paranormal advocates that JREF would have preferred to test disparaged the challenge and stayed far away from it, like any fraud would.
Too true.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2016, 02:42 PM   #33
fuelair
Banned

"But even a fool can make tools of others!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2016, 02:47 PM   #34
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

My Grandfather used to say

"Get me another beer from the basement"

"Beer goes best with bacon and egg breakfast!"

Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge