IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags D.J. Grothe , jref

Old 5th September 2014, 08:47 PM   #201
Brive1987
Muse

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
While we're at it let's settle the pesky "Pluto, planet or not" question by vote here.

And let's just pick some simple date for Easter.
Agreed. It would appear to be the best use for this community.

Alternatively we could discuss where the funding for the big new strategy is likely to come from given nothing has actually changed (other than an old fashioned corporate wannabe execution).

JREF+
Brive1987 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2014, 08:58 PM   #202
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Howie Felterbush View Post
So that's who D J Grothe is.

I kept getting e-mails from him (or her) and I just assumed he was looking to play at my wedding or bar mitzvah or something.
Well, he is now.
Old 5th September 2014, 09:12 PM   #203
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Brive1987 View Post
It is traditional when communicating "a big new strategy and change of direction" to have done enough work to be be able to supply enough detail to enthuse the troops. It's about credibility.

Now naturally everything said here is opinion (duh) - but (IMHO) the release smacks heavily of hand waving smokescreen rather than (say) Point 2 of a considered marketing strategy for a newly mapped out focus.

Also, it has been a consensus here on the thread that DJ's job was to run TAM. Either by intent or by default. The opening premise was that no DJ = no TAM = more money and focus for the Big New Strategy.

Keeping TAM (and the requirement for a manager) kind of mucks this calculus up - no?
Only in so far as it removes "TAM", leaving the equation "no DJ + no California office = more money and focus for" whatever. Despite your assertion, it's a significant amount of money as far as the JREF is concerned; if Denver is correct about Randi's salary representing around 15% of any given year's revenue, and Randi's salary this year is $200k, that means cutting DJ loose frees up the equivalent of an extra 7% of the year's income. On top of this, we don't know how much of the remainder of JREF's revenue is also being redirected as part of this new strategy.

What is "traditional" (for what? A company?) isn't very relevant to JREF, which is a non-profit special interest with a non-traditional focus. It has historically not provided great breathless PR blurbs about plans and goals for the upcoming year.

The problem with assuming that DJ is being used as some sort of sacrifice, fall guy, or scapegoat, is that being a fall guy by its nature requires being blamed for something - if not unequivocally, then highly suggestively. While an argument can be made that the phraseology of "is no longer with the company" not followed by "and we wish him luck in future endeavors" certainly is suggestive of a less-than-amicable separation, it was ALSO not followed by "and the JREF wants to make clear that it doesn't condone Behavior/Statement X". Nor has JREF published figures or statements that implied there was some sort of serious problem for which DJ's subsequent firing could then be obviously seen as a corrective action. Obviously if TAM is going to continue, then DJ is not likely being canned for somehow making TAM a failure, because TAM would be getting canned along with him. Of course people can weave all kinds of webs about what DJ might have done that is the reason he was released; but the fact that the field is so completely wide-open for such speculation in my opinion makes it dubiously likely that his firing is supposed to appease an audience or send some other kind of clear message.

Last edited by Checkmite; 5th September 2014 at 09:13 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2014, 10:42 AM   #204
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Originally Posted by Denver View Post
The Sharon Hill presidency?
Ms. Hill is a great writer and great skeptic. I have no idea how skilled she may be at organizing, managing, and PR (certainly the "vitriolic" thing was an unfortunate misstep). Probably doesn't have enough general-public stature to satisfy those who'd prefer a Tyson-esque appointment. Still, overall an interesting choice.
Old 6th September 2014, 05:44 PM   #205
Brive1987
Muse

Weird double post removed

Last edited by Brive1987; 6th September 2014 at 05:48 PM.
Brive1987 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2014, 05:48 PM   #206
Brive1987
Muse

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Only in so far as it removes "TAM", leaving the equation "no DJ + no California office = more money and focus for" whatever. Despite your assertion, it's a significant amount of money as far as the JREF is concerned; if Denver is correct about Randi's salary representing around 15% of any given year's revenue, and Randi's salary this year is $200k, that means cutting DJ loose frees up the equivalent of an extra 7% of the year's income. On top of this, we don't know how much of the remainder of JREF's revenue is also being redirected as part of this new strategy.

What is "traditional" (for what? A company?) isn't very relevant to JREF, which is a non-profit special interest with a non-traditional focus. It has historically not provided great breathless PR blurbs about plans and goals for the upcoming year.

The problem with assuming that DJ is being used as some sort of sacrifice, fall guy, or scapegoat, is that being a fall guy by its nature requires being blamed for something - if not unequivocally, then highly suggestively. While an argument can be made that the phraseology of "is no longer with the company" not followed by "and we wish him luck in future endeavors" certainly is suggestive of a less-than-amicable separation, it was ALSO not followed by "and the JREF wants to make clear that it doesn't condone Behavior/Statement X". Nor has JREF published figures or statements that implied there was some sort of serious problem for which DJ's subsequent firing could then be obviously seen as a corrective action. Obviously if TAM is going to continue, then DJ is not likely being canned for somehow making TAM a failure, because TAM would be getting canned along with him. Of course people can weave all kinds of webs about what DJ might have done that is the reason he was released; but the fact that the field is so completely wide-open for such speculation in my opinion makes it dubiously likely that his firing is supposed to appease an audience or send some other kind of clear message.

Short on time, but quickly -

Point 1, we have gone from an office and TAM manager on the west coast to an office and a TAM manager on the east coast. There may be some contra savings but on the face of it, this is hardly a strategic move.

Point 2, I've had 25 years professional experience in membership and not for profit organisations. Based on that, this JREF approach is most charitably "breaking new ground" when it comes to 'best practice' change of strategic goals.

Point 3, your final point makes sense if DJ was being cut down or blamed for professional failings. Far more likely this was a board level assassination brought on by a personal falling out.

http://cherryteresa.com/wp/2014/09/0...evenue-claims/
Old 6th September 2014, 05:50 PM   #207
Denver
Penultimate Amazing

I think you omitted the 2013 numbers.

http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990...201312_990.pdf
Old 6th September 2014, 06:05 PM   #208
Brive1987
Muse

Originally Posted by Denver View Post
I think you omitted the 2013 numbers.

http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990...201312_990.pdf
Not my graph - but thanks for the update.
Old 6th September 2014, 06:45 PM   #209
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Well, he is now.

Dude... ouch.
Old 6th September 2014, 06:52 PM   #210
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I greet this news with cautious optimism. Ray Hall has done an outstanding job running the Sunday Papers for many years. I've always thought that the decrease in time allotted for these talks the last few years was a big mistake. Hopefully with Ray in charge, this trend will be reversed.

I'm also cautiously optimistic about this news. Ray's influence is one of the reasons we had some good Skepticism in the Classroom workshops at TAM years ago.
Old 6th September 2014, 08:10 PM   #211
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Short on time, but quickly -

Point 1, we have gone from an office and TAM manager on the west coast to an office and a TAM manager on the east coast. There may be some contra savings but on the face of it, this is hardly a strategic move.
Not exactly. The "TAM Manager" (I assume you are referring to Ray) is on the west coast.

Also, I suspect the JREF "office" in Virginia costs them nothing.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2014, 05:18 AM   #212
Brive1987
Muse

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Not exactly. The "TAM Manager" (I assume you are referring to Ray) is on the west coast.

Also, I suspect the JREF "office" in Virginia costs them nothing.
Yes, it was an assumption I made and I hesitated. Re the office, that was my contra comment. Most NFP's would be hesitant to be so obviously beholden to a non executive board member for too long, if at all. But then I'm starting to realise JREF belongs in the cowboy category.
Old 7th September 2014, 02:42 PM   #213
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Point 3, your final point makes sense if DJ was being cut down or blamed for professional failings. Far more likely this was a board level assassination brought on by a personal falling out.
With 1) which board member(s), and 2) over what? Or are you content to make the insinuation and resulting ethical judgment without having to risk using statements that can be fact-checked?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2017, 09:56 AM   #214
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
Radial Tire re-instated as a mod at the new forums?
Several years later, I finally got this joke.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF