IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd April 2012, 02:22 AM   #1
Chris H
Magician Among Spirits

Vintage Randi Poster

Anyone know where I procure a printed version of one of these?

Chris H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2012, 05:43 PM   #2
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

The poster mentions Sindey. I wonder if he visited Sindey , or if it is a misspelling of Sydney?
Old 3rd April 2012, 08:16 PM   #3
kittynh
Penultimate Amazing

wow you can get copies online. And we've had vintage posters for sale at the scholarship auction before... I own one but NOT the milk can one. However you can buy copies on ebay and such.
kittynh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2012, 05:38 AM   #4
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

deleted

Wait, "terser" is a word, right?
Bram Kaandorp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2012, 05:49 AM   #5
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

The man no jail can hold? No wonder, you'd have to fill it with expanding construction foam in order to plug every hole large enough for him to get out of it.
Old 4th April 2012, 07:24 AM   #6
carlitos
"más divertido"

It's nice to see Aalborg on the world tour. Skøl!
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2012, 06:01 AM   #7
Chris H
Magician Among Spirits

Found one. Planning on getting it signed when Randi is in town for the Australian Skeptics National Convention at the end of this year.
Chris H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2012, 06:51 AM   #8
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kittynh View Post
wow you can get copies online. And we've had vintage posters for sale at the scholarship auction before... I own one but NOT the milk can one. However you can buy copies on ebay and such.
I saw the exact poster in the OP in an exhibit at the art museum this past weekend called Houdini and the Art of Magic.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2012, 09:07 PM   #9
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

What is the medal he is wearing?

Can you find the name "Harry Houdini" hidden in the poster? (I know where it is, but I don't think the image is good enough to see it.)
Old 15th May 2012, 03:27 AM   #10
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
What is the medal he is wearing?

Can you find the name "Harry Houdini" hidden in the poster? (I know where it is, but I don't think the image is good enough to see it.)
Possibly lower right corner next to a chain? (One of two candidates I can see)

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2012, 08:43 PM   #11
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
Possibly lower right corner next to a chain? (One of two candidates I can see)
I think you are seeing the signature "Jayson" for Jay Disbrow, the comic book artist who created the poster.

Naturally there is some small, simple trick. And, as I said, I don't think the image here is clear enough to find it (although it may be possible to guess, but not clear enough to confirm the guess).
Old 15th May 2012, 11:18 PM   #12
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

I think you are seeing the signature "Jayson" for Jay Disbrow, the comic book artist who created the poster.

Naturally there is some small, simple trick. And, as I said, I don't think the image here is clear enough to find it (although it may be possible to guess, but not clear enough to confirm the guess).
Looks so... (not that I am good at looking for such things in any case)

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2012, 03:57 PM   #13
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Is it the join at the top of the wide section of the metal cask that looks like a milk churn? There seems to be some sort of incongruity there, but as you say, the image is too low a resolution to be sure.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2012, 04:12 PM   #14
Macgyver1968
Philosopher

I wonder if Randi has a hard time flying with wings that small...anyone know when he got them removed?
Old 17th May 2012, 06:04 AM   #15
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
Is it the join at the top of the wide section of the metal cask that looks like a milk churn? There seems to be some sort of incongruity there, but as you say, the image is too low a resolution to be sure.
It's a milk can, the escape from which is one of the more dangerous, particularly when one uses -- as Houdini did once -- sometbing carbonated like beer. Milk used to be commercially transported in such cans, but Houdini, Randi, et al usually filled them with water for their acts.

In regard to Houdini's name, I can't make out any detail on this image, but I would guess that it is hidden in or formed by links of the chain or is somehow spelled out with a particular viewing of the words and city names on the poster.
Old 17th May 2012, 04:38 PM   #16
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
In regard to Houdini's name, I can't make out any detail on this image, but I would guess that it is hidden in or formed by links of the chain or is somehow spelled out with a particular viewing of the words and city names on the poster.
I thought about the chain, but I can't see anything there. I doubt it's in the city names. A poster who knows where it is says the image might be too low-res to see it, but the lettering is plainly visible.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2012, 11:37 PM   #17
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Randi doesn't reply to emails anymore. So the mystery of the medal may go down as lost to history. Too bad. But before all is lost, I might as well give up the secret of the hidden name.

It is written in Braille along the wide seam of the milk can, next to Randi’s right thigh.

For Ian Osborne’s response, I award 10 points to Gryffindor.

Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 6th June 2012 at 11:39 PM.
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2012, 05:36 AM   #18
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Randi doesn't reply to emails anymore. So the mystery of the medal may go down as lost to history. Too bad. But before all is lost, I might as well give up the secret of the hidden name.

It is written in Braille along the wide seam of the milk can, next to Randi’s right thigh.

For Ian Osborne’s response, I award 10 points to Gryffindor.
Dang. That was my next guess....

{Not really, of course; that's pretty neat. And I have it on good authority that Ian is in Slytherin as most dark wizards are}.
Old 7th June 2012, 06:00 AM   #19
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
{Not really, of course; that's pretty neat. And I have it on good authority that Ian is in Slytherin as most dark wizards are}.
Crucio!

Old 7th June 2012, 06:37 AM   #20
Moon-Spinner
Graduate Poster

Oh, THAT kind of poster!!!

From the thread title, I thought this was going to be about a very old forum member!
Moon-Spinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2012, 01:59 AM   #21
Chris H
Magician Among Spirits

One of these posters has popped up on eBay. I've got mine already, so if anyone is interested...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Rand...-/160807962219
Old 15th October 2012, 03:17 AM   #22
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

At $375 I think it is a lucky person that got one new and kept it in good condition.
Old 31st October 2012, 02:14 AM   #23
tim
Lasiorhinus latifrons
Combat Division

I have one of these, plus the "Levitation of a Living Woman" poster, both of which are signed. Cough.

Hubbard's Law: Don't take life too seriously; you won't get out of it alive.
tim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2012, 04:20 AM   #24
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

From the look of that chain, it was hyper-engineered to have precisely 4 weak links that all exactly broke together.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2012, 11:26 PM   #25
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™

Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
Anyone know where I procure a printed version of one of these?

Nice poster, that.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2012, 09:08 PM   #26
LashL

Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
Found one. Planning on getting it signed when Randi is in town for the Australian Skeptics National Convention at the end of this year.

So, did you get it signed? How was the convention? Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited by LashL; 5th December 2012 at 09:11 PM.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2013, 08:10 PM   #27
LashL

Bumpedy. Still curious.
Old 2nd August 2013, 09:11 PM   #28
LashL

Old 2nd August 2013, 09:16 PM   #29
fuelair
Banned

Randi must have disappeared him!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2013, 01:25 AM   #30
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

If you are after Chris H then you will need to find other methods of contracting him. He has not been active on this forum since May 2013.

Edit. His last post on this forum was in this thread...
Old 8th August 2013, 05:53 PM   #31
LashL

Nah, I'm content with waiting until he gets back to the thread.
Old 11th August 2013, 03:25 PM   #32
LashL

oops, wrong thread.
Old 10th September 2013, 10:54 PM   #33
kerryoke
New Blood

Darn, I wish I could see the poster. I definitely need to have one on my wall. Time to geet to ebaying.
kerryoke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2013, 04:39 AM   #34
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by kerryoke View Post
Darn, I wish I could see the poster. I definitely need to have one on my wall. Time to geet to ebaying.
Well here is one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Vin...item27d746dd7d

A bargain at $US400!?
Old 11th September 2013, 07:16 AM   #35
kerryoke
New Blood

Wow that's a great one. But for $400? Yikes, Is James Randi bringing it to my house?
kerryoke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2013, 07:50 AM   #36
RemieV
Philosopher

I have one. I'm not sure if I am permitted to sell things on the forum. PM me for details.
RemieV is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2013, 03:26 PM   #37
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

I have the floating woman one. Signed and very nicely framed. Bought it at the TAM (3? 4?) auction for $500, IIRC.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2013, 02:28 AM   #38
rikzilla
Ninja wave: Atomic fire-breath ninja

Thanks RemieV! I've already got a line on a local restorer to make those two posters pristine!

-z

PS: and the book is a welcome addition as well!
Old 13th November 2013, 09:45 PM   #39
Azaz129
New Blood

Now that would be something I'd love to have.
Azaz129 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF