IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "An Honest Liar" , documentaries , james randi

Old 19th February 2012, 12:04 AM   #1
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
"An Honest Liar" - The Amazing Randi Story/A Randi film

"An Honest Liar profiles the life of famed magician turned professional skeptic James “The Amazing” Randi as he embarks on a series of public crusades to expose America’s beloved psychics, mentalists, preachers, and faith healers with religious fervor. Along the way, the film will show how easily our perceptions can be fooled – by magicians, con artists, and even documentaries."

http://www.anhonestliar.com/anhonestliar/Home.html

Kylie Sturgess (Token Skeptic) interviews the directors/producers of the movie here:
http://tokenskeptic.org/2012/02/18/e...-tyler-measom/
(Listening to it now.)

I gather the film is still being made, but from what I've heard, it sounds like it will be made well. I may even donate.

They're also looking for documentary/video evidence that may not be available in the public sphere.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2012, 12:44 AM   #2
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Thanks ON. I wonder who will pick it up. I can't imagine a theatrical release, but hopefully it will get good coverage.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2012, 04:32 AM   #3
ieathedead
Student

I watched the trailer a few times today and it looks fantastic. I don't know too much about the filmmakers' other work so I'll have to investigate that tonight but so far to my untrained eye, it looks really good. The website looks really nice too.

From the website:
Quote:
An Honest Liar will likely be released sometime in 2013.
Now we play the waiting game...

i

p.s - I'm just a poor uni student and I'm also considering donating. This film looks like a ten kinds of awesome.

ETA: Clicking through the tabs up the top in order (home, the story, etc.), Randi looks like the stages I go through when I'm being told something from the woo side. It goes from an interested look, to a skeptical look, to an angry look, to being fed up and not even looking at the person, to putting his head in his hands in frustration.

Talk about useless observations Great photos though, they really make the website.

Last edited by ieathedead; 20th February 2012 at 04:42 AM.
ieathedead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
I like your observations, ieathedead.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2012, 06:57 PM   #5
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Also being discussed here (though this is probably a better subforum for it).
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 07:14 PM   #6
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Contribute, you cheap bastards!!!

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 06:08 PM   #7
Buckaroo
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Today, Randi himself faces the price of a deception that might result in the loss of his partner of 26 years.
Huh?

"When you're slapped you'll take it and like it." -- Sam Spade
Buckaroo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 08:38 PM   #8
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Huh?
A bit off-topic, but if you really don't know:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=218996
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 09:25 PM   #9
Biff Starbuck
Critical Thinker

I pledged to the Kickstarter campaign and started receiving the email updates, including one regarding the contest on IndieWire about which of the four contenders in the contest will get free consultation with the Tribeca Film Institute. Winning would also probably add free publicity.

What annoyed me about the IndieWire contest was their headline description of the film: "Project of the Day: Gay Magician The Amazing Randi Comes Out and Faces the System in 'An Honest Liar.'"

I am happy Randi felt comfortable coming out a few years ago, but think his sexual orientation is just one facet of his life. Plus, it came out so late in his life it is a very small part of his public persona. Randi is my hero because of his relentless crusade to protect people from a myriad of unscrupulous con-artists willing to prey on the innocent. He was my hero before I even considered his sexuality, and still is today, perhaps even more so.

Certainly, the inclusion in the documentary about the troubles Randi and Davyi (aka Jose) faced after Dayvi's arrest adds to the drama, and probably makes the documentary more commerically viable. And Randi's coming out might have been nudged by the news of the arrest and relationship. However, I just think that one sentence description is a cheap PR gimmick instead of what Randi's life is about. Given that I pledge based upon the content of the trailer, I also hope it is not an accurate synopsis of the film, which should focus on his legacy as a crusador against fraud.

Hopefully the IndieWire website is the one who came up with that tag line, not the film makers.
Biff Starbuck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 12:33 AM   #10
FluffyPersian
Critical Thinker

Randi's gay? That's the first I've heard of it.

Last edited by FluffyPersian; 31st January 2013 at 12:42 AM.
FluffyPersian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 12:35 AM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Is there any reason anybody should ******* care?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 01:24 AM   #12
StankApe
Banned

up to $151,717!!!
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 01:58 AM   #13
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

They were filming at TAM 9, including at the volunteer lunch. I've therefore contributed in the hope of seeing myself on the big screen.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 03:06 AM   #14
Biff Starbuck
Critical Thinker

And most importantly, since I already pledged a donation to help get it distributed and get my own copy of the movie, I want more people to chip in so I get the free bonus of the custom playing cards too

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ng-randi-story
Biff Starbuck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 08:41 AM   #15
Buckaroo
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
A bit off-topic, but if you really don't know:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=218996
Oh, that! I'd totally forgotten about it. And the overloading of the terms "lose" and "partner" threw me.

"When you're slapped you'll take it and like it." -- Sam Spade
Buckaroo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 03:51 PM   #16
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
They were filming at TAM 9, including at the volunteer lunch. I've therefore contributed in the hope of seeing myself on the big screen.
Do you mean TAM 10? Because they were there, and I talked to them for about 20 minutes. Were they also at TAM 9?

The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 06:31 PM   #17
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

"An Honest Liar" - The Amazing Randi Story

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Do you mean TAM 10? Because they were there, and I talked to them for about 20 minutes. Were they also at TAM 9?
Yup, they were at TAM 9 too.
Old 7th February 2013, 08:15 PM   #18
FluffyPersian
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Is there any reason anybody should ******* care?
Not particularly. My point is that Biff's post is the first I've heard anything about Randi's sexual orientation.

Last edited by FluffyPersian; 7th February 2013 at 08:51 PM.
FluffyPersian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2013, 08:21 PM   #19
StankApe
Banned

up to $181,000!!!
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2013, 02:29 AM   #20
Biff Starbuck
Critical Thinker

Yea! "An Honest Liar" won as the January project of the month!

http://www.indiewire.com/article/con...t-of-the-month

Since it looks like donations have slowed down and I might not get the free pack of cards, I will probably have to chip in another $25 donation to ensure I receive a set.

The Kickstarter project page is here for anyone who wants to not only get a copy of the film, but help support its production.
Old 8th February 2013, 02:38 AM   #21
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Not sure if I saw them at TAM 10; they definitely didn't film at the volunteer lunch that year. They did film it at TAM9.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2013, 06:54 AM   #22
Biff Starbuck
Critical Thinker

WooHoo! Over $200k. I guess I added to that by bumping up my pledge
Old 15th February 2013, 11:35 AM   #23
Biff Starbuck
Critical Thinker

Yea! The final tally looks to be:

3,096 backers
$246,989
Old 15th February 2013, 06:11 PM   #24
Minarvia
fading orb

I stumbled upon the project by accident and got in my pledge in the final few hours. And...woo hoo! I'm getting a signed book by Randi and some of the other cool stuff. I can't wait until the film is completed.
Old 16th February 2013, 02:51 PM   #25
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

The Kickstarter is now closed, with a fantastic final total of $246,989, but it's still possible to contribute and get some of the rewards at the project site.
Old 30th May 2013, 09:03 PM   #26
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™

The Kickstarter is now closed, with a fantastic final total of $246,989, but it's still possible to contribute and get some of the rewards at the project site.

Most excellent, indeed.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2014, 09:01 AM   #27
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™

Very cool to see that "An Honest Liar" just won the American Film Institute's "Audience Award for Best Feature".

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/swift-blog.html
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2014, 12:11 AM   #28
Captain Tripps
Scholar

Here is an interview with him talking about the movie on Huffpost.

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/seg...a760044c0002ce
Captain Tripps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2014, 01:35 AM   #29
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain Tripps View Post
Here is an interview with him talking about the movie on Huffpost.

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/seg...a760044c0002ce

Thanks for linking to that. Good segment. I'm looking forward to watching the film (not to mention seeing Randi again) at TAM in a few days.

Last edited by AdMan; 28th June 2014 at 01:38 AM.
Old 29th June 2014, 11:48 AM   #30
Reno
Inquisitor

where can those of us not able to go to a TAM see the movie?

"I am the danger." - Heisenberg
Reno is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2014, 11:09 PM   #31
Octavo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Reno View Post
where can those of us not able to go to a TAM see the movie?
You can buy the DVD, Blu-Ray or as a digital download from the honest liar site. Just check out the "Shop" menu link.
Octavo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2014, 01:02 AM   #32
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
You can buy the DVD, Blu-Ray or as a digital download from the honest liar site. Just check out the "Shop" menu link.
It's not available yet, though. There are some licensing issues for some of the clips and/or music, which they can use in the live showings they're doing at the moment, but are not (yet) licensed to use in a DVD. They're hoping to be able to be able to finance what's needed before releasing the DVD (or else find an alternative solution, which will mean the DVD is slightly different).

(That's from memory of the update I got as one of the kickstarter contributors.)
Old 30th June 2014, 01:09 AM   #33
Octavo
Illuminator

It's not available yet, though. There are some licensing issues for some of the clips and/or music, which they can use in the live showings they're doing at the moment, but are not (yet) licensed to use in a DVD. They're hoping to be able to be able to finance what's needed before releasing the DVD (or else find an alternative solution, which will mean the DVD is slightly different).

(That's from memory of the update I got as one of the kickstarter contributors.)

Ah, thanks for that Zooterkin. I've been checking periodically as I can't wait to get my hands on it. Being in SA, I'm obviously not going to be able to make it to any of the screenings.
Octavo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2014, 09:22 AM   #34
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Seńora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
There will be a commercial release of the film this fall in the US. This was announced at the TAM screening. Don't know how wide the distribution will be or how long it will be out there.
Old 18th July 2014, 09:30 PM   #35
McJustice
New Blood

At TAM, the makers suggested that blogging, tweeting, etc. about the film may have a positive effect on securing (better) distribution. Buzz begets buzz.

So, tweet it long and repeat.

FYI, it's a good film. Bit of a love story really. i'd watch it again.
McJustice is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2014, 09:47 PM   #36
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

At TAM the filmmakers emphasized that we (TAM attendees, familiar with Randi) were not the target audience for the film and that they thought we would be their toughest audience. Despite this, I think the film was very well received--I heard only positive comments, and Randi and Deyvi and the filmmakers got standing ovations after the showing I attended. It is a good movie.

I think the film will continue to have a wider release, and will likely be available for renting or buying digitally down the road, if you aren't able to catch it in the theaters.

Last edited by AdMan; 18th July 2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 5th March 2015, 08:55 AM   #37
xjx388

Just heard Randi and the director on Sirius XM (not sure channel, was just randomly scanning when I heard his voice). Apparentky they are doing some screenings in NYC with Q&A to follow. Wish I could be in NYC right now...
Old 5th March 2015, 09:09 AM   #38
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Just heard Randi and the director on Sirius XM (not sure channel, was just randomly scanning when I heard his voice). Apparentky they are doing some screenings in NYC with Q&A to follow. Wish I could be in NYC right now...

Here's an article from Variety on a screening earlier this week at the Magic Castle.

http://variety.com/2015/scene/news/j...ng-1201446503/

The movie is opening tomorrow in at least some theaters.
Old 10th March 2015, 07:45 PM   #39
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Just streamed it.

Two thumbs up! It's very good. An Oscar nomination wouldn't surprise me.

Old 10th March 2015, 07:49 PM   #40
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but....

I did see Linda & Karl. And DJ. And Michael Feldman (NECSS organizer) and his dad. And my friend Daniela was in the credits. And I was too!!! Sort of. At least someone with my name. I'm gonna tell the girls it is me.***

***Actually, it could be me. I donated at one of the higher levels, but I don't think it was supposed to include a credit. But I suppose it's possible they decided to give a credit to anyone above $X. And I did meet Tyler Measom at TAM X (or maybe XI), and we spoke for about a half hour in the casino, and he asked my name and recalled the amount of my donation, so....who knows? I may try contacting him to find out.

Last edited by The Central Scrutinizer; 10th March 2015 at 07:53 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF