IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th November 2013, 11:10 AM   #1
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Big bill for the JREF :(

Ouch! Isn't it someone's job to monitor this sort of thing?
Quote:
The Broward Property Appraiser's Office is yanking huge property tax exemptions from some non-profit organizations.

"All we want is each property owner in Broward County to pay his or her fair share," said Broward Property Appraiser Lori Parrish.
The property appraiser’s office recently removed the tax exempt classification from the James Randi Educational Foundation.

For years, the foundation's former offices at 201 SE 12th Street in Fort Lauderdale were tax exempt, but the property appraiser office says the building has been vacant for more than two years.

The Randi Foundation owes $23,115.00 after losing its exemption classification
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2013, 02:35 PM   #2
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I would have thought JREF would have sold the former HQ. I know the property market is not very good but I would have thought it would have fetched some money?

I wonder if JREF will pay? And when?

Edit. Non profits can make big mistakes. There may be no one whose job it is to look at the big picture.

Last edited by rjh01; 27th November 2013 at 02:36 PM.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2013, 05:41 PM   #3
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
I'm sure they'll pay it; the depressing thing is that's $23,000 that could have gone to other things, like TAM scholarships or presenters.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2013, 06:34 PM   #4
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Expect an email from DJ soon.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2013, 07:19 PM   #5
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

If I understand this correctly, these are property taxes that will be owed in 2014 now that the property has lost its tax-exempt status--is that right? Not a bill for previously owed (and unpaid) taxes.

The article says "Cacciatore said the property appraiser's office cannot back tax the non-profit organizations."
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2013, 09:54 PM   #6
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

If we all give just a couple of bucks each, we can bribe those officials back into silence.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2013, 10:48 PM   #7
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

" For years, the foundation's former offices at 201 SE 12th Street in Fort Lauderdale were tax exempt, but the property appraiser office says the building has been vacant for more than two years."

So what was the plan, then? I may not know from property ownership, but even I understand that if my property isn't working for me, it's working against me.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2013, 11:09 PM   #8
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
So what was the plan, then?

Probably waiting for real estate prices to increase? If you're not paying property taxes on it, you might see it as a relatively safe investment.

I'd put it on the market ASAP now.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2013, 11:28 PM   #9
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
" For years, the foundation's former offices at 201 SE 12th Street in Fort Lauderdale were tax exempt, but the property appraiser office says the building has been vacant for more than two years."

So what was the plan, then? I may not know from property ownership, but even I understand that if my property isn't working for me, it's working against me.
Just following the spirit of "not for profit," aka: "loss."
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2013, 09:05 AM   #10
Dan O.
Banned

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
I'm sure they'll pay it; the depressing thing is that's $23,000 that could have gone to other things, like TAM scholarships or presenters.
How sure of that can you be? Did you watch the news video attached to the OP?
Dan O. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2013, 12:25 AM   #11
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
As AdMan said, this is the bill for 2013 taxes; it's extremely unlikely that they'll sell the property before year-end, and equally unlikely that any appeal would succeed given that the property has been vacant for two years. So yes, they'll have to pay.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2013, 01:13 AM   #12
Dan O.
Banned

I asked if you had watched the news video. Apparently you haden't.
Dan O. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2013, 01:15 AM   #13
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dan O. View Post
I asked if you had watched the news video. Apparently you haden't.

What exactly is your point? The video says they've paid almost all of the bill already.
Old 29th November 2013, 03:05 AM   #14
Dan O.
Banned

That is my point. At least the news reporter knows how to access public records.

It seems strange that only part of the bill would have been paid. Was there a 10% discount for immediate payment? If I were at my regular computer I would look this up. But it will have to wait unless somebody else picks it up.

I also suspect that JREF has made the choice to hold the property and let the market improve instead of dumping it in the current market. It's too bad that the foundation can't keep the office open until they find a buyer.
Old 29th November 2013, 03:30 AM   #15
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Just watched the video. Contains extra information not in the article itself. The building is for sale, probably has been for some time.
Old 29th November 2013, 08:29 PM   #16
Cleon
King of the Pod People

IIRC, the building went on the market soon after DJ took over and moved the JREF office to California.
Old 30th November 2013, 12:14 PM   #17
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
IIRC, the building went on the market soon after DJ took over and moved the JREF office to California.
Sounds like the tax status change will simply make JREF a more "motivated seller".
Old 1st December 2013, 06:40 PM   #18
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
Sounds like the tax status change will simply make JREF a more "motivated seller".
Yup. It's a really nice little building; it would be great for a lawyer, accountant, doctor, whatever. If they haven't been able to sell, either the economy in FLL is in worse shape than everywhere else or they're asking too much.
Old 7th December 2013, 01:44 PM   #19
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
I had no idea that JREF moved to California. Interesting. Did Randi move also?

As to the property tax situation: In California this is what would happen: If there was a mortgage on the property the mortgage holder has the right and I expect most mortgage holders were exercise this right to either force payment of the property tax or to force a payoff of the mortgage. If there was no mortgage then a lien would be put on the property for the unpaid property taxes and I think the state can force the sale of the property to pay off the lien.

ETA: On Florida property evaluations: I am under the impression based on anecdotal information that Florida is one of the states where property values have not recovered since the peak of the recession. I've wondered why that is, maybe global warning pictures showing big patches of ocean where Florida is might be a contributing factor? Or maybe a rash of devastating hurricanes?

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb

Last edited by davefoc; 7th December 2013 at 01:47 PM.
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2013, 02:54 PM   #20
Dan O.
Banned

Originally Posted by davefoc View Post

Did you watch the video in the link in the OP? Near the end it says they interviewed Randi in LA.

BTW: The entire tax bill had already been paid as of November 21. The $21,000 was paid as the video suggests on the day they interviewed JR. The remainder had already been paid on November 5th. No taxes are due.

Last edited by Dan O.; 7th December 2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 7th December 2013, 03:51 PM   #21
davefoc
Philosopher

Did you watch the video in the link in the OP? Near the end it says they interviewed Randi in LA.

BTW: The entire tax bill had already been paid as of November 21. The $21,000 was paid as the video suggests on the day they interviewed JR. The remainder had already been paid on November 5th. No taxes are due.
I hadn't noticed the video link before you mentioned it. I just watched the video. I enjoy watching Randi, even in a trumped up local story.

Has Randi himself moved to California and where are the new headquarters? I realize I might risk embarrassing myself again because this was mentioned some place and I missed it.

davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2013, 04:15 PM   #22
Dan O.
Banned

I'd tell you to look it up but this one was still in my clipboard:
7095 Hollywood Boulevard, #1170, Los Angeles, CA 90028.

(Check it out though, It's listed on a page asking for donations so it could be a fake or just a PO box)
Old 7th December 2013, 11:25 PM   #23
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Nope, watch it again. It says no such thing.

P.S. I guess you don't know who's the president of the JREF.
Old 8th December 2013, 12:02 AM   #24
Dan O.
Banned

AdMan, do you recognize that person in the center in Dave's avatar?
Old 8th December 2013, 12:03 AM   #25
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

AdMan, do you recognize that person in the center in Dave's avatar?

Watch the video again and listen carefully.

And, yes, of course I recognize him since I last saw him a few months ago, at this year's TAM. And I last saw the JREF's president in September at DragonCon, which Randi did not attend. I believe he was back home in Florida taking it easy after medical treatment.

Have you watched the video again?

Last edited by AdMan; 8th December 2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 8th December 2013, 01:37 AM   #26
Dan O.
Banned

At 03:25 in the video:
Quote:
As for James Randi, the president of his foundation in Los Angeles[,] said Broward county was wrong and they would challenge their new tax bill.

I was caught by the imprecise language used by the announcer. The key that the segment was in fact shot in Florida is the "10" logo on the reporters mike. (though this could have been added in post production)

Randi still owns his home in Florida and it isn't listed for sale.

ETA: The facade in the interview also matches the Florida home.

Last edited by Dan O.; 8th December 2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 8th December 2013, 01:51 AM   #27
davefoc
Philosopher

I've been looking around for a press release on the move or any official comment about it and haven't found it. Is there any information that somebody could link to? Does anybody have any inside dope on what the reason for the move was?

Old 8th December 2013, 02:09 AM   #28
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

At 03:25 in the video:

I was caught by the imprecise language used by the announcer.

Yes, you were. Glad to see you admit it.

Last edited by AdMan; 8th December 2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old 8th December 2013, 02:11 AM   #29
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Duplicate post.
Old 8th December 2013, 02:37 AM   #30
Dan O.
Banned

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
Yes, you were. You also failed to listen carefully and thought you knew more than the posters here.

What is your problem? I transcribed that audio segment showing how the placement of a simple comma (where there is in fact a pause in the speech can change the meaning of the statement. I provided the new California mailing address (which does appear to be just a post box). And I did the research to verify that the news clip of Randi was in fact shot in front of Randi's Florida home.

You seem to be posting here just to attack me personally. Why do you do that?
Old 8th December 2013, 02:57 AM   #31
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

What is your problem? I transcribed that audio segment showing how the placement of a simple comma (where there is in fact a pause in the speech can change the meaning of the statement. I provided the new California mailing address (which does appear to be just a post box). And I did the research to verify that the news clip of Randi was in fact shot in front of Randi's Florida home.

You seem to be posting here just to attack me personally. Why do you do that?

I am not attacking you.

I have found that a number of your posts in other threads look to be intended to rile other posters up, without providing any kind of serious argument.

Some people call this trolling. Maybe it is; maybe not. In any case, it is tiresome, though you may get a kick out of it, for all I know. That's irrelevant here, though.

In this thread, you made a mistake and then insinuated, in a snarky way, that I didn't know what I was talking about, which I actually did, so I corrected you--it was not an attack.

Last edited by AdMan; 8th December 2013 at 03:11 AM.
Old 8th December 2013, 03:30 AM   #32
Dan O.
Banned

I've been looking around for a press release on the move or any official comment about it and haven't found it. Is there any information that somebody could link to? Does anybody have any inside dope on what the reason for the move was?

Not exactly a press release: http://yankeeskeptic.com/2012/12/03/...rdale-florida/
Old 8th December 2013, 06:19 AM   #33
kedo1981
Master Poster

Ok they made a mistake, they let the property go unused.
The best thing would be to very publicly pay the taxes and urge the other npo's to do so.
kedo1981 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2013, 09:02 AM   #34
Dan O.
Banned

I wouldn't call it a mistake. They made a choice to move and put the old digs up for sale. The library moved to the plantation site around May 2011 and the new HQ was opened in LA in mid 2012.

It would probably cost more to keep the old office staffed than they have to pay in taxes.
Old 8th December 2013, 11:38 AM   #35
davefoc
Philosopher

Thanks,
I was surprised that I couldn't find more about the move on-line. I found a mention of it when there was a release about an employee that couldn't make the move was leaving JREF. It just seems a bit strange to me that it wouldn't have been mentioned more prominently. I don't routinely read the JREF homepage anymore. Perhaps it was mentioned there.

Old 8th December 2013, 04:06 PM   #36
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Has Randi himself moved to California...
No

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2013, 07:46 PM   #37
Shiner
Motor Mouth

A quick Google search of the address appears to show the property as being for sale since July 2011. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=2...rdale&safe=off

That would suggest that the market is poor, or the property is overpriced. Someone familiar with the Florida property market may be able to shed some light.
Shiner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2013, 04:51 PM   #38
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shiner View Post
A quick Google search of the address appears to show the property as being for sale since July 2011. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=2...rdale&safe=off

That would suggest that the market is poor, or the property is overpriced. Someone familiar with the Florida property market may be able to shed some light.
Randi was in the office when the street view photo was taken.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2013, 10:42 AM   #39
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by Shiner View Post
That would suggest that the market is poor, or the property is overpriced.

Or it's haunted.

ETA: Maybe this would help. Saint Joseph Statues/Home Selling Kits

Last edited by Myriad; 10th December 2013 at 10:47 AM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2013, 11:03 AM   #40
Denver
Penultimate Amazing

I'm glad to hear they had no problem paying the tax. The JREF financial statements suggest they wouldn't, since they are able to pay 2 people a combined salary (I think) of over $330,000 and have a couple hundred thousand in the bank (2012). They could always have siphoned off more from there if necessary.

Last edited by Denver; 10th December 2013 at 11:08 AM.
Denver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF