IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th December 2013, 05:47 AM   #41
Shiner
Motor Mouth

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Or it's haunted.

ETA: Maybe this would help. Saint Joseph Statues/Home Selling Kits
Come on now! This house was inhabited by 'The Great Randi'. Or 'Amazing', or something. Surely he would have exorcised any and all ghosts/demons, et al.

Although .... it has been vacant for two years ....
Shiner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2013, 07:55 AM   #42
Gr8wight
red-shirted crewman

Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
On Florida property evaluations: I am under the impression based on anecdotal information that Florida is one of the states where property values have not recovered since the peak of the recession. I've wondered why that is, maybe global warning pictures showing big patches of ocean where Florida is might be a contributing factor? Or maybe a rash of devastating hurricanes?
Property values in Florida historically have a very slow appreciation, and often a a negative appreciation, due to oversupply. People retire to Florida, live there for several years, then die. There is always so much real estate for sale in Florida that prices almost never appreciate significantly. My father-in-law recently moved from a one bedroom condo to a two bedroom unit. He sold the one bedroom unit he had owned for over a decade for approximately what he paid for it.

"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding."--Marshall McLuhan
Gr8wight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2013, 09:44 AM   #43
Modified
Philosopher

Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
ETA: On Florida property evaluations: I am under the impression based on anecdotal information that Florida is one of the states where property values have not recovered since the peak of the recession. I've wondered why that is, maybe global warning pictures showing big patches of ocean where Florida is might be a contributing factor? Or maybe a rash of devastating hurricanes?
Property values here are up about 55% from the low, still down about 30% from the peak for middle class homes in suburban neighborhoods. Beachfront and beach-adjacent property is in especially short supply, and appreciating quickly. I'm not sure what the situation there is, but I expect it is similar.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2013, 09:55 AM   #44
Modified
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gr8wight View Post
Property values in Florida historically have a very slow appreciation, and often a a negative appreciation, due to oversupply. People retire to Florida, live there for several years, then die. There is always so much real estate for sale in Florida that prices almost never appreciate significantly. My father-in-law recently moved from a one bedroom condo to a two bedroom unit. He sold the one bedroom unit he had owned for over a decade for approximately what he paid for it.
The exact opposite it true. You've missed what happened in between those years. Prices shot up dramatically and quickly then fell dramatically, with much wider swings than in most of the country. http://www.zillow.com/local-info/#me...94856%26el%3D0
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2013, 09:19 PM   #45
Dan O.
Banned

Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
I hope they get billed double. I once owed some taxes and the Govt took ALL my cash on Xmas eve. Screw the tax evaders...

You just haven't done your research. They not only paid their tax bill in full, they paid it early and got a discount. The records are all available online for those that choose not to be ignorant of the facts.

Last edited by Dan O.; 23rd December 2013 at 09:20 PM.
Dan O. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2013, 10:21 AM   #46
DDWW
Muse

If they still owe money just ask the generous liberals here to donate thier own ....money.......to ......help......

OK, just relized how silly that was. Never mind.
DDWW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2013, 02:23 PM   #47
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by DDWW View Post
If they still owe money just ask the generous liberals here to donate thier own ....money.......to ......help......

OK, just relized how silly that was. Never mind.
JREF does not currently have any outstanding debts on the property. Also there have been requests for money made and several donations have been given to JREF as a result.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF