IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th June 2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Teamonger
New Blood

Personally signed Randi poster?

Hullo, I wonder if anyone could shed light on my experience...

Back in December, the JREF was offering a signed Randi poster "Levitation" for donating at a certain level. I was feeling generous and took Mr. Randi up on the offer.

Early in January, I received back an e-mail from Mr. Grothe thanking me, in which he asked "How would you like your poster from Randi personally inscribed?" I replied that Mr. Randi could inscribe what he liked, as long as he spelled my name right.

A month went by, and no poster. So I inquired of Mr. Grothe, and he said he would "confirm this was taken care of". A few weeks later he said "we will make sure to take care of this soon".

April came along, and I inquired again... asked if I can claim the one million prize for holding my breath that long. I also asked if they just ran out of posters. No response to that one, nor to another query a month later.

I'm not really as pissed as I sound, but I do feel a bit put off that nobody even wants to talk to me anymore. Doesn't seem a very good way to treat a donor.

So I'm curious... did anyone received signed posters, or am I just the unlucky one?
t
Teamonger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2014, 04:54 PM   #2
Teamonger
New Blood

Just to post a follow up... I did get DJ's attention, and he's chagrined about my delayed poster. Says he will follow up ASAP. Thanks DJ.
t
Teamonger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2014, 12:21 PM   #3
Teamonger
New Blood

And another update. I did get DJ's attention back in June, but it's been 7 more weeks and still no "personally signed Randi poster". My latest e-mail to him was ignored. Sigh... I guess it's time to give up. But I'm still curious how many folks took up the donation offer, and whether anyone else actually received such a poster.
t

Last edited by Teamonger; 7th August 2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 7th August 2014, 12:27 PM   #4
madurobob
Philosopher

Perhaps you can recant on your "inscribe what he liked" statement and ask him instead to sign it "Forums? What forums?"
Old 7th August 2014, 01:23 PM   #5
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by madurobob View Post
Perhaps you can recant on your "inscribe what he liked" statement and ask him instead to sign it "Forums? What forums?"
<snort>

Considering Randi's age, and other commitments, I would have been a little skeptical of receiving a personally inscribed poster, though you certainly did act in good faith, sorry.
Old 7th August 2014, 02:20 PM   #6
Teamonger
New Blood

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
Considering Randi's age, and other commitments, I would have been a little skeptical of receiving a personally inscribed poster, though you certainly did act in good faith, sorry.
Making an offer and then not following through isn't the way to foster donor loyalty or good will. Didn't occur to me that I should've been skeptical of, "Don't miss this chance to have a very special gift from Randi... !"
t
Old 7th August 2014, 02:57 PM   #7
RemieV
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Teamonger View Post
Making an offer and then not following through isn't the way to foster donor loyalty or good will. Didn't occur to me that I should've been skeptical of, "Don't miss this chance to have a very special gift from Randi... !"
t
Write to Sharon. sharon@randi.org
RemieV is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2014, 03:46 PM   #8
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Randi will happily sign it, I'm sure. But someone needs to get him the poster and then send it out. I agree it should have been done months ago. Hope Sharon can help.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2014, 03:53 PM   #9
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

t
It was a joke, I apologize for lack of <sarcasm> tags.
Old 7th August 2014, 05:48 PM   #10
Teamonger
New Blood

I will try Sharon, thanks Rem.
T
Old 7th August 2014, 08:02 PM   #11
Teamonger
New Blood

Sharon says, "We will be sure to arrange this when [Randi] gets back." Thanks for the tip Rem.
t
Old 21st August 2014, 01:02 PM   #12
Teamonger
New Blood

Just wanted to say, happy ending! I finally received my Randi poster, very pleased with it. Also got a call from Mr. Randi last week, much appreciated. We chatted for some time, I mentioned how I had been slightly involved in his faith healer investigations back in the day.

Text on the 18x24" poster reads:
The Amazing Randi
The Levitation of a Living Woman in Mid Air

Randi inscribed it as I had asked,
"Thanks for waiting! Patience is a virtue in any skeptic!"

So now I need to find a frame, pronto. Thanks for listening to my saga...
t
Old 21st August 2014, 03:46 PM   #13
madurobob
Philosopher

Yay!
Old 21st August 2014, 04:46 PM   #14
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Good to hear, Teamonger! That was nice of Randi to call.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2014, 09:02 PM   #15
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Just wanted to say, happy ending! I finally received my Randi poster, very pleased with it. Also got a call from Mr. Randi last week, much appreciated. We chatted for some time, I mentioned how I had been slightly involved in his faith healer investigations back in the day.

Text on the 18x24" poster reads:
The Amazing Randi
The Levitation of a Living Woman in Mid Air

Randi inscribed it as I had asked,
"Thanks for waiting! Patience is a virtue in any skeptic!"

So now I need to find a frame, pronto. Thanks for listening to my saga...
t
So glad to hear that, Teamonger. How cool to have a personal inscription.

Looks like when I have a problem I will email Sharon.
snoop_doxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2014, 06:47 PM   #16
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

Glad to hear that you got your poster, Teamonger. That call was very nice, an extra to make up for something going wrong.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF