IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th August 2014, 10:28 PM   #1
ZapMePlease
Student

Tax receipt for TAM

So I went to TAM with my wife this year - we purchased the TAM experience - it's supposed to provide a tax receipt for part of the purchase price.

I asked about it at the registration desk and nobody knew anything about it.

I went back and talked to (Jason?) who said that they would be coming by email.

I got home but didn't get one so I emailed events@randi.org and asked about it and also how I could sponsor a teacher for next year. I got no reply

I waited a few days and then emailed tam@randi.org with the same thing - asking for a receipt and how to sponsor a teacher. Again I got no reply

So I sent my next email with the same questions to djgrothe@randi.org and got nothing from him either

Finally I emailed yet again to tam@randi.org

Still nothing.

This is 4 emails over a month period with no reply from any of them including the one to DJ Grothe.

Yes - to answer the obvious question - I've checked my spam folder.

What's the deal? This is pretty disappointing.

Last edited by ZapMePlease; 10th August 2014 at 10:30 PM.
ZapMePlease is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2014, 01:20 AM   #2
RemieV
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ZapMePlease View Post
So I went to TAM with my wife this year - we purchased the TAM experience - it's supposed to provide a tax receipt for part of the purchase price.

I asked about it at the registration desk and nobody knew anything about it.

I went back and talked to (Jason?) who said that they would be coming by email.

I got home but didn't get one so I emailed events@randi.org and asked about it and also how I could sponsor a teacher for next year. I got no reply

I waited a few days and then emailed tam@randi.org with the same thing - asking for a receipt and how to sponsor a teacher. Again I got no reply

So I sent my next email with the same questions to djgrothe@randi.org and got nothing from him either

Finally I emailed yet again to tam@randi.org

Still nothing.

This is 4 emails over a month period with no reply from any of them including the one to DJ Grothe.

Yes - to answer the obvious question - I've checked my spam folder.

What's the deal? This is pretty disappointing.
Go for Sharon@randi.org. People have been having better success there.
RemieV is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2014, 07:58 PM   #3
ZapMePlease
Student

Thanks - I just forwarded the last one to her. I hope this is a 'hit'.

zmp
ZapMePlease is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2014, 03:04 PM   #4
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

Has anyone checked there is still anyone at JREF?
Maybe they did a runner?
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2014, 08:35 PM   #5
ZapMePlease
Student

Well, I tried sharon@randi.org two days ago and no answer yet from there either.

I'm way less than impressed with this.

zmp
Old 14th August 2014, 04:55 AM   #6
RemieV
Philosopher

Maybe try calling?

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/...-the-jref.html
RemieV is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2014, 09:02 PM   #7
ZapMePlease
Student

Good idea. I'll try that tomorrow.

Funny - I'm so used to email/text I don't even think about using the phone anymore.

I'll tell you one thing that I've figured out from this - I'm certainly not going to be making a donation to JREF anytime soon. I'm pretty bummed by this. Randi is a hero to me and having the organization with his name attached act so poorly bothers me a lot.
Old 14th August 2014, 09:18 PM   #8
RemieV
Philosopher

I'm not sure how much the portion was you get to write off, but I don't think they always have to provide a receipt. May want to give this a read as well, just to see what you can do if the IRS gets cranky at you:

http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-P...-Contributions

Oh wait - are you really in Canada? Probably something similar there then, I'd imagine. Might be worth looking up to see if you really need to have the receipt and all.
Old 14th August 2014, 10:37 PM   #9
ZapMePlease
Student

Thanks.

Yeah - in Canada - I think I can claim it without the receipt but if I get audited I'd be in trouble without it.

The website never really said how much the charitable portion was - so I don't know how much I could write off anyways. The TAM experience for the two of us was nearly 2 grand so if it was $500 or so that would be worth following up on.

The tax receipt part is only part of what's ticking me off, though. I was trying to offer to sponsor a teacher for next year's TAM and can't get an answer from them on that either. You'd think the JREF would want to get as many sponsored attendees as possible.
Old 14th August 2014, 10:48 PM   #10
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks.

Yeah - in Canada - I think I can claim it without the receipt but if I get audited I'd be in trouble without it.

The website never really said how much the charitable portion was - so I don't know how much I could write off anyways. The TAM experience for the two of us was nearly 2 grand so if it was $500 or so that would be worth following up on.

The tax receipt part is only part of what's ticking me off, though. I was trying to offer to sponsor a teacher for next year's TAM and can't get an answer from them on that either. You'd think the JREF would want to get as many sponsored attendees as possible.

The JREF is a tiny, tiny organization. TAM itself looks rather big, but that's just that event, and almost all of the "JREFers" that you see at TAM, except for the professionals running the technical and hotel stuff, are volunteers (I speak as one of them), which isn't a bad thing for a non-profit.

Keep trying, though. I think you'll get a response.

Last edited by AdMan; 14th August 2014 at 10:58 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2014, 11:13 PM   #11
RemieV
Philosopher

ZMP - Sharon and DJ are the real staff members, so if you do keep e-mailing, keep at theirs. Not even sure where the other ones go.
Old 15th August 2014, 11:24 AM   #12
Michel H
Banned

Originally Posted by RemieV View Post
ZMP - Sharon and DJ are the real staff members, so if you do keep e-mailing, keep at theirs. Not even sure where the other ones go.
Doesn't the JREF have a part-time secretary, to pick up the phone, and tell people who phone when Randi will visit the office next (and to perform administrative and secretarial tasks)?
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 11:30 AM   #13
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Doesn't the JREF have a part-time secretary, to pick up the phone, and tell people who phone when Randi will visit the office next (and to perform administrative and secretarial tasks)?
Nope, not anymore. There's no office, either.
Old 15th August 2014, 11:46 AM   #14
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks.

IANACPA, but is any of it a deduction? A donation is when you give something without getting anything of value in return. At TAM, you get something of value in return. You're paying to attend a conference.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 12:02 PM   #15
Michel H
Banned

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Nope, not anymore. There's no office, either.
Really? From these two pages (page1 and page2), we learn that the JREF does have a postal address (in Falls Church, Virginia, near Washington D. C., area code 703), and that Randi and Grothe have JREF phone numbers (area code 213, this is in Los Angeles). One might get the impression that, instead of having no office, they have actually two.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 12:04 PM   #16
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
IANACPA, but is any of it a deduction? A donation is when you give something without getting anything of value in return. At TAM, you get something of value in return. You're paying to attend a conference.
From http://www.amazingmeeting.com/tam2014/faq/

Quote:
The TAM Experience includes everything in the other packages plus upgraded VIP registration, expedited conference check-in, special reserved seating (front and center classroom-style tables), and admission to the special benefit dinner. A portion of this package is treated as a tax-deductible charitable contribution to The James Randi Educational Foundation.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 12:06 PM   #17
BowlOfRed
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
A donation is when you give something without getting anything of value in return.
That's a bit too strict. If you are fundraising (and you meet all the other requirements) you can sell products and allow customers to claim the amount above the fair market value of those products as a tax deductions.

For instance, if you hold a charity auction and purchase a $50 gizmo for $400, you didn't do that because you thought it had $400 of value (I hope!), you're doing it with the understanding that some portion of the money is a contribution. That portion is normally tax deductible like a straight cash contribution would be.

In this case the "TAM experience" was a premium package, not simply an admission to TAM (which certainly does have a fair market value).
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 12:07 PM   #18
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Really? From these two pages (page1 and page2), we learn that the JREF does have a postal address (in Falls Church, Virginia, near Washington D. C., area code 703), and that Randi and Grothe have JREF phone numbers (area code 213, this is in Los Angeles). One might get the impression that, instead of having no office, they have actually two.
One might, if one didn't know better.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 12:08 PM   #19
Cleon
King of the Pod People

The Falls Church address is a mailing address at Rick Adams' restaurant. It's not an office, just the on-paper corporate HQ.

As for LA, there was an office there, but I believe they shut it down a couple months ago.
Old 15th August 2014, 12:26 PM   #20
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Wow, this lack of responses and offices reminds me of that time someone I knew got ripped off by fake chairty.

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 01:36 PM   #21
Michel H
Banned

The Falls Church address is a mailing address at Rick Adams' restaurant. It's not an office, just the on-paper corporate HQ.

As for LA, there was an office there, but I believe they shut it down a couple months ago.
Thank you for this substantive info, Cleon. Wikipedia says, about Richard Adams:
Quote:
Richard (Rick) L. Adams, Jr. is an Internet pioneer and the founder of UUNET, which, in the mid and late 1990s, was the world's largest Internet Service Provider (ISP).
Adams was responsible for the first widely available Serial Line IP (SLIP) implementation and founding UUNET, thereby making the Internet widely accessible.
In 1996, he donated one million dollars U.S. to the James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF) to be used as the basis for its One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge.[1] He is the JREF's treasurer.
After leaving UUNET, Rick pursued opportunities as a partner in other ventures, including Cello and the 2941 restaurant in Falls Church, Virginia.
This restaurant (website here, photos shown), apparently, is a big and impressive place, no small pizzeria. I read, on the front page:
Quote:
Congratulations to 2941 Pastry Chef Caitlin Dysart
Pastry Chef of the Year | RAMMY AWARD 2014
2941 Named by Northern Virginia Magazine as the 'Best Wedding Reception Venue' in Northern Virginia | 'Best Of' Issue 2014
We are celebrating this honor by offering an Exclusive Wedding Day Deal now through August 31, 2014.
They mention "662 reviews" on the contact page, TripAdvisor alone has 229 reviews about them, with an average of 4 stars.
Old 15th August 2014, 02:00 PM   #22
Cleon
King of the Pod People

I hope you didn't infer that I was slamming the place in some way. By all accounts it's very successful, and I certainly don't argue with Rick's business acumen. I certainly didn't mean to imply the JREF was located at some sketchy pizza joint in Little Italy.

But it's not a JREF office. It's a restaurant that the JREF uses as a mailing address.
Old 15th August 2014, 05:05 PM   #23
Michel H
Banned

I hope you didn't infer that I was slamming the place in some way. By all accounts it's very successful, and I certainly don't argue with Rick's business acumen. I certainly didn't mean to imply the JREF was located at some sketchy pizza joint in Little Italy.
No, of course.
Quote:
But it's not a JREF office. It's a restaurant that the JREF uses as a mailing address.
It's difficult to be sure, in my opinion.
The JREF's postal address is:
"2941 Fairview Park Drive, Suite 105
Falls Church
VA 22042
USA"
2941 Fairview Park Drive, Falls Church is the restaurant's address. Perhaps the JREF's office is located within Suite 105 of that building, there are perhaps lots of documents of the Foundation there (tax returns since 1996? correspondence with attorneys? ...). As to Randi's and Grothe's phone numbers in L.A. (still) mentioned on randi.org, (to be sure) perhaps somebody should try them to see if they still "work", and report the result on the forum.
Old 15th August 2014, 05:11 PM   #24
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Randi's number might be in LA, but he still lives in Ft. Lauderdale. DJ lives in LA.

Look, I don't really care if you think JREF has an office or not.

Last edited by Cleon; 15th August 2014 at 05:21 PM.
Cleon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 05:13 PM   #25
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Location: In 2.5 million spinning tons of metal, above Epsilion Eridani III

2941 Fairview Park Drive, Suite 105
Falls Church, Virginia 22042
Directions to Fairview Park

^ Checking, gets me this as well. I think it's a postal address.
Old 15th August 2014, 05:45 PM   #26
Jeff Wagg
Illuminator

It's not just a restaurant. It's a large office building in an office park. There just happens to be a upscale restaurant in it.
Jeff Wagg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 05:46 PM   #27
Michel H
Banned

Randi's number might be in LA, but he still lives in Ft. Lauderdale. DJ lives in LA.
Randi's and DJ's numbers are the same in LA, only extensions differ (this page), not very clear what that means, as far as I am concerned.
Old 15th August 2014, 05:50 PM   #28
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Ah that makes sense.
Old 15th August 2014, 05:54 PM   #29
Michel H
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeff Wagg View Post
It's not just a restaurant. It's a large office building in an office park. There just happens to be a upscale restaurant in it.
Yes, that's correct, 2941 Fairview Park Drive has a webpage:
http://www.fairview-park.com/2941/
(it's a building with a restaurant).
Old 15th August 2014, 06:12 PM   #30
Cleon
King of the Pod People

And Suite 105 is the property management office.
Old 15th August 2014, 06:48 PM   #31
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Who knew that Randi was a property manager.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 06:55 PM   #32
Michel H
Banned

And Suite 105 is the property management office.
This is rather surprising isn't it? (so KoihimeNakamura above was right). So, the postal mail sent to the JREF is actually sent to the property management office of Fairview Park. And perhaps Rick Adams has to go pick it up periodically there, unless it's forwarded to his restaurant (located in Fairview Park) and to him.
Perhaps this has been decided to avoid sending JREF mail to a restaurant.
Old 15th August 2014, 08:22 PM   #33
ZapMePlease
Student

lol - I gotta say that despite the innocence of all of this it does cast a bit of a shadow on the organization.

I get that it's small and I get that it's run by volunteers but not having an actual mailing address of your own seems kinda sketchy. At least use a PO box or something that has a semblance of legitimacy. Sending cheques to the JREF c/o a restaurant seems a bit off to me.

I didn't get a chance to phone today but I'll give it a whirl on Monday and post back what happens. Either way I think I've decided against being a sponsor for the time being. While I trust the JREF - and have not been given a reason not to - my spider senses are tingling and telling me to keep my chequebook in my pocket.

zmp
Old 15th August 2014, 09:18 PM   #34
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I get that it's small and I get that it's run by volunteers but not having an actual mailing address of your own seems kinda sketchy.
It sounds more than a little sketchy. Why would any legitimate organization of any kind not have its own address, even if it's a P.O. box or private mailbox? If checks and correspondence go to a property management office and have to be picked up by a restaurateur, what happens then? Does it get forwarded somewhere else? Who accounts for money and deposits it in the bank? What address does it use for bank statements and tax returns? How would you send a certified letter if you needed to? Does JREF, as a tax-exempt organization, have an accountant? Does it get audited? Are any financial records publicly accessible?

If this is the official published address of JREF,
http://www.fairview-park.com/fvpdocs/contact.html
what's the connection between them?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 09:25 PM   #35
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

JREF is audited. Their tax information is publicly available.
Old 15th August 2014, 10:40 PM   #36
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Yeah, just a "mail drop". (insert rolling-eyes gobsmacked angry smiley) If there was ever a need for evidence as to why the Foundation needs to be more transparent, this Sherlockian adventure/derail is it.

Has it occurred to anyone that Rick Adams quite likely owns the complex? (That's quite nearly rhetorical as there are numerous references to it being his building, although he may have sold it for all I know). The "management office" may be his primary mailing address. He's the treasurer and one of the largest benefactors of the Foundation, and I doubt he's taking anyone's donation and playing the ponies with it.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2014, 07:54 AM   #37
Cleon
King of the Pod People

It's really not "sketchy," though I can see how it sounds. JREF does exist, it's not a shadow organization or anything. It's just in a bad state right now.

10 years ago, they had an office, a library, and a full-time staff. Now they don't really have any of the above, and the board wants to get things going again.
Old 16th August 2014, 09:33 AM   #38
Howie Felterbush
Bow Tie Daddy

Originally Posted by Jeff Wagg View Post
"Upscale restaurant" and "office park" don't usually go together, in my experience.

"Expensive restaurant", maybe.
"...wing collars are like an ocular violation."-TubbaBlubba
Howie Felterbush is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2014, 12:45 PM   #39
Michel H
Banned

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Yeah, just a "mail drop". (insert rolling-eyes gobsmacked angry smiley) If there was ever a need for evidence as to why the Foundation needs to be more transparent, this Sherlockian adventure/derail is it.

Has it occurred to anyone that Rick Adams quite likely owns the complex? (That's quite nearly rhetorical as there are numerous references to it being his building, although he may have sold it for all I know). The "management office" may be his primary mailing address. He's the treasurer and one of the largest benefactors of the Foundation ...
Good point, Foolmewunz. According to Christopher Bollyn, who is a journalist (see here),
Quote:
The JREF is located in Suite 105 of the 2941 Fairview Park Drive building, which is the business office of Rick Adams' 2941 Fairview Park Drive, LLC, who is the legal owner of the building.
So it seems the JREF is located in a business office of its treasurer Rick Adams.
Old 16th August 2014, 03:00 PM   #40
wardenclyffe
Master Poster

Is that accurate? Was there an announcement that the office was going away?

Ward

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF