IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th August 2014, 07:35 PM   #41
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Howie Felterbush View Post
"Upscale restaurant" and "office park" don't usually go together, in my experience.

"Expensive restaurant", maybe.
They're synonymous (upscale and expensive), so your point is.....?

You don't think you can find quality dining in an office building? Are there restraints on fresh water and gas and electricity? Because those are the only commodities/services required for a good chef that he can't bring in the door himself.

The food was pretty good at Top of the 6s and at Windows on the World, as I recall it. Both in office towers, which is what this complex is. (Scaled to the environs, of course.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2014, 07:01 AM   #42
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
Who knew that Randi was a property manager.
Uri Geller, that's who.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2014, 08:23 AM   #43
ZapMePlease
Student

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Uri Geller, that's who.
Couldn't be.

How could you run a restaurant with all those bent spoons?
ZapMePlease is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2014, 08:26 AM   #44
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by ZapMePlease View Post
Couldn't be.

How could you run a restaurant with all those bent spoons?
I've eaten dinner with Banachek. Geller's a punk.
Old 17th August 2014, 08:35 AM   #45
Donn
Philosopher

If he keep banning checks, how does any one pay for dinner?
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2014, 07:07 PM   #46
Howie Felterbush
Bow Tie Daddy

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
They're synonymous (upscale and expensive), so your point is.....?

You don't think you can find quality dining in an office building? Are there restraints on fresh water and gas and electricity? Because those are the only commodities/services required for a good chef that he can't bring in the door himself.

The food was pretty good at Top of the 6s and at Windows on the World, as I recall it. Both in office towers, which is what this complex is. (Scaled to the environs, of course.)
No.
"...wing collars are like an ocular violation."-TubbaBlubba
Howie Felterbush is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2014, 12:40 AM   #47
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
10 years ago, they had an office, a library, and a full-time staff. Now they don't really have any of the above, and the board wants to get things going again.
What happened to all the stuff in the library, Randi;s office, etc? It would seen to have some value.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2014, 03:22 AM   #48
Donn
Philosopher

Yeah, where is that famous shelf full of woo books he's been collecting? Where are the files re the Challenge kept? I thought the foundation was all in a home-office in Florida.

Is Randi even okay? Bad Vibes, I haz them.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2014, 03:58 AM   #49
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Yeah, where is that famous shelf full of woo books he's been collecting? Where are the files re the Challenge kept? I thought the foundation was all in a home-office in Florida.

I don't know all the details, but I suspect a lot of things are still at Randi's house. There was a separate office in Florida, which has been closed for more than two years.

Randi's health is fine, as far as I know. He is not the President of the JREF, though. D.J. Grothe is, and he lives in California.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2014, 04:26 AM   #50
Donn
Philosopher

Ah, thanks Zoot. I recall reading that, but it didn't sink in. I'm glad to hear Randi is okay.
Old 21st August 2014, 05:18 AM   #51
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
What happened to all the stuff in the library, Randi;s office, etc? It would seen to have some value.
The library (and presumably the other stuff) is at Randi's house.

The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2014, 05:21 AM   #52
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Randi's health is fine, as far as I know.
At TAM XII, he looked and sounded better than he has in years.

Old 30th October 2014, 07:11 PM   #53
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

Hi ZapMePlease
I'm sorry that we couldn't help you at the registration desk at TAM. Everyone there was a volunteer; Thomas, DJ's partner, could have given you a definite answer, but he was often away solving some crisis. Technically he was a volunteer too.

DJ is no longer with the JREF and I imagine that things were quite messed up for a while. Could you try again? I hate to put work on Sharon, but people have gotten results by emailing Sharon Hill, Sharon@randi.org .

Some quick answers, to the best of my knowledge.
The JREF's mailing address is in Falls Church. Richard Adams founded UUNET, and I assume he's rich enough (he donated $1M after all!) that our donations can't tempt him.

Randi's written that the library was moved from the FL office to his home.

Randi skyped in to a Q&A session after a screening of "An Honest Liar" by a skeptic group near here. I couldn't make it, but rumor has it that he was in good health for the call.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF