IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th August 2014, 08:58 AM   #1
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Forum New Announcement Thread

We need a locked thread with official, hard information. Is that possible? You can have this one and delete this post if you'd like.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2014, 09:09 AM   #2
malicus
Graduate Poster

Bit silly having a locked empty thread.

malicus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2014, 09:10 AM   #3
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by malicus View Post
Bit silly having a locked empty thread.

There is that.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2014, 09:11 AM   #4
icerat
Philosopher

Are you expecting any news until after Wednesday? I'm not.
Old 12th August 2014, 09:12 AM   #5
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by icerat View Post
Are you expecting any news until after Wednesday? I'm not.
How as I to know to wait until Wednesday?
Old 12th August 2014, 09:21 AM   #6
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

It's in the sticky "Future of the Forum" thread, which is pretty much the thread you are asking for here.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2014, 09:31 AM   #7
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Yes, but that thread is umpteenzillion pages long. How are we supposed to find the useful bits of information in all of that?
Old 12th August 2014, 09:47 AM   #8
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Yes, but that thread is umpteenzillion pages long. How are we supposed to find the useful bits of information in all of that?
I think if you just post a bunch of questions . . . one question per post . . . it will really help!

ETA: I agree with you and the OP. I'm not even wading into that mess anymore.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2014, 11:24 AM   #9
madurobob
Philosopher

They've already made it clear, in that other mess of a thread, that the JREF will make an official announcement, in conjunction with the new forum owner (if thats the decision). They didn't say *where* that announcement would be, but it seemed clear Sharon meant a big sticky post at the top of the forums with blinking lights and circles and arrows and such.

Wednesday is the deadline for them receiving input. There is no stated date for the announcement other than it would be (I hope obviously) sometime after the deadline for input.
Old 12th August 2014, 11:46 AM   #10
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Then go here: http://www.randi.org/site/

I'm sure part of the problem JREF has with this forum is not enough people on this forum actually read the actual JREF content.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2014, 11:52 AM   #11
Francesca R
Girl

I suspect I have almost no posts in this section before these two or three threads.
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2014, 01:34 PM   #12
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post

I'm sure part of the problem JREF has with this forum is not enough people on this forum actually read the actual JREF content.
I'm certain you're right. I didn't even know how to get to there.
Old 12th August 2014, 01:38 PM   #13
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Exactly!
Skeptic Ginger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2014, 02:16 PM   #14
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Francesca R View Post
I suspect I have almost no posts in this section before these two or three threads.
Just to be clear I wasn't referring to the JREF Topics forum (the forum this thread is on). I was referring to the stuff at www.randi.org. The actual JREF web site.
Old 12th August 2014, 05:00 PM   #15
Howie Felterbush
Bow Tie Daddy

Here's the Five Step Felterbush Plan for Forum-moving Problem Resolution:

Step One: Log In
Step Two: Post some stuff
Step Three: Read some stuff
Step Four: Log out
Step Five: Keep doing this normally until one day you get a message telling you the forum has moved then follow the inevitable link to the new forum and return to Step One.

You already have all the information you need, i.e. the forum is going to do something soon. Follow my plan, sleep peacefully and things will be all right.

Step Two and Step Three are interchangeable.
"...wing collars are like an ocular violation."-TubbaBlubba
Howie Felterbush is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2014, 05:12 PM   #16
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
We need a locked thread with official, hard information. Is that possible? You can have this one and delete this post if you'd like.

I have reported your fine idea for consideration by people who are similar to me but who are not me.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2014, 05:26 PM   #17
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Howie Felterbush View Post

Step Five: Keep doing this normally until one day you get a message telling you the forum has moved then follow the inevitable link to the new forum and return to Step One.

You already have all the information you need, i.e. the forum is going to do something soon. Follow my plan, sleep peacefully and things will be all right.

^ This.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2014, 06:04 PM   #18
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
If you can read this post, the forum is still here.
Old 12th August 2014, 06:35 PM   #19
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
If you can read this post, the forum is still here.
But what if I miss the subtexts and innuendoes?

(j/k, it appears to me that the transition of the forum is in good hands, and I'm just waiting to see how it all shakes out.)
Old 12th August 2014, 06:38 PM   #20
jj
Penultimate Amazing

That web site is so bleeping ugly and hard to navigate that ...
jj is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2014, 12:57 AM   #21
Francesca R
Girl

Just to be clear I wasn't referring to the JREF Topics forum (the forum this thread is on). I was referring to the stuff at www.randi.org. The actual JREF web site.
OK. I don't visit that.
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2014, 01:09 AM   #22
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Good advice!
Old 13th August 2014, 09:07 AM   #23
Emily's Cat

That'll probably work.
Old 13th August 2014, 09:24 AM   #24
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Yeah, pretty much this. I'm in correspondence with my best buds on the forums and while we're best buds, we all have slightly different expectations and will judge whatever the result is by those expectations and criteria, I guess. One thing we all seem to be able to agree on, though, is that we've pretty much said what can be said (and then some). Now, it's down to decisions that other people are making and we'll have to see what they amount to, ultimately.

So, while I still care and hope that everything works out, I think campaigning for any of my particular interests is over. The multitude of threads are falling into the snarkiness and bitching we're so good at.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 13th August 2014 at 09:28 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2014, 09:31 AM   #25
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I have reported your fine idea for consideration by people who are similar to me but who are not me.
Thank you.
Old 22nd August 2014, 09:24 PM   #26
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Cool

Thank the FSM for your Five Step Felterbush Plan for Forum-Moving Resolution!

No worries now. I can go to sleep and rest easy knowing that things will
be all right. Just follow the Felterbush Plan.

Will there be people coming back here to pick up any stragglers?

Just askin', just in case.

Just saw how many times your plan was posted Howard.
You are the man. With the plan.

For a few minutes there was agreement between the posters.

Last edited by snoop_doxie; 22nd August 2014 at 09:30 PM. Reason: ETA to add redundancy
snoop_doxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2014, 05:32 AM   #27
Howie Felterbush
Bow Tie Daddy

Originally Posted by wicked_ways View Post
Thank the FSM for your Five Step Felterbush Plan for Forum-Moving Resolution!

No worries now. I can go to sleep and rest easy knowing that things will
be all right. Just follow the Felterbush Plan.

Will there be people coming back here to pick up any stragglers?

Just askin', just in case.

Just saw how many times your plan was posted Howard.
You are the man. With the plan.

For a few minutes there was agreement between the posters.
There's a shuttle running every half-hour.

But...Scrut's driving it so you may want to walk.
"...wing collars are like an ocular violation."-TubbaBlubba
Howie Felterbush is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF