IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd September 2014, 01:32 PM   #1
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Terms and conditions for the International Skeptics Forum

Mod InfoLatest version can be found in this post: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...7#post10216157
Posted By:Darat
Please have a read of the draft of the new terms and conditions members will have to agree to before their accounts are active on the new International Skeptics Forum.

Whilst the format of the terms and conditions have been altered somewhat - for example the privacy policy is no longer a separate document much remains the same.

Many of the changes revolve around making the language clearer to understand but there are significant changes as a result of the change of ownership of the new Forum and the owners rights to reassign the licence members grant to use their content.

If you do have feedback please let me know.

(There is a separate thread detailing the schedule, see: The Forum's future)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ISF Draft Terms and Conditions 030914 .pdf (100.5 KB, 342 views)
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Last edited by Darat; 11th September 2014 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Added info box
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 01:52 PM   #2
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

Seems reasonable.
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 02:03 PM   #3
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Would using, in the sense of reading without registering, constitute acceptance of the T&C? If not, the first sentence might better be this:

"By registering for and/or continuing to post on the Forum, you signify your agreement to these Terms and Conditions."
Old 3rd September 2014, 02:06 PM   #4
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

I demand blanket immunity.

Other than that, it looks good.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 02:07 PM   #5
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Should it define what an Administrator and a Moderator are?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 02:26 PM   #6
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Should it define what an Administrator and a Moderator are?
That's covered in the mod agreement and that won't be being changed beyond the changing of "JREF". See: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=27572
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 02:42 PM   #7
superfreddy
Muse

Under the "How your information is used" header, we should include some kind of provision that allows the Forum to cooperate with law enforcement, as required by law.
superfreddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 02:42 PM   #8
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Looks OK to me.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 02:54 PM   #9
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

From the pdf
Quote:
When you register for the Forum, you are required to supply a small amount of personal information: an active email address, your first and last name, your state (if in the U.S.) and country of residence. This information is not viewable by other Forum members but may be viewable to Administrators and Moderators of the Forum and to officers of TribeTech or its agents.
Will moderators be able to see our personal information? I thought only admins could do so currently? And who are the "officers of TribeTech or its agents" who can see this information?
Old 3rd September 2014, 02:59 PM   #10
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

OK by me, I'm in.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 03:01 PM   #11
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by superfreddy View Post
Under the "How your information is used" header, we should include some kind of provision that allows the Forum to cooperate with law enforcement, as required by law.
As an informational for members, yes - as a practical matter, if you're a legit entity on the 'net you will be cooperating with law enforcement requests whether the members realize it or not.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 03:41 PM   #12
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

I 'm comfortable with it, as are all my socks...

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 04:38 PM   #13
CJW
Muse

The International Skeptics Forum totally copied the JREF forum!
Old 3rd September 2014, 04:39 PM   #14
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™

Originally Posted by BStrong
Originally Posted by superfreddy View Post
As an informational for members, yes - as a practical matter, if you're a legit entity on the 'net you will be cooperating with law enforcement requests whether the members realize it or not.

Yes, but I think that's covered in any event in that section with this:

Originally Posted by Draft T&Cs
As a general rule, though, the owner of the Forum will not disclose or share any of the personal information provided upon registration unless you have given permission or unless we have a good faith belief that the law requires it.

LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 04:41 PM   #15
LashL

Originally Posted by CJW View Post
The International Skeptics Forum totally copied the JREF forum!

LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 04:44 PM   #16
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

It looks good. That copyright notice is pretty daunting.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 04:46 PM   #17
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator

Small thing:
"... prohibit and/or ban the posting of messages by any member at any time if they should violate these Terms, or for any other reasonable cause."

Wouldn't this make more sense if it was
"...ban and/or prohibit the posting of messages by any member at any time if the member should violate these Terms, or for any other reasonable cause."
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 04:51 PM   #18
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
From the pdf

Will moderators be able to see our personal information? I thought only admins could do so currently? And who are the "officers of TribeTech or its agents" who can see this information?
I'm also curious about this.
Old 3rd September 2014, 05:03 PM   #19
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Scrolled to the bottom and clicked "I agree".
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 05:34 PM   #20
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

One question only:

Quote:
These Terms are governed by the law of the State of New York, and you and TribeTech submit
to the exclusive jurisdiction of the New York courts.
Why the state of New York?

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 05:52 PM   #21
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
One question only: Why the state of New York?
Why in the world not???

I'm definitely in!
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 06:13 PM   #22
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

One question only:

That would be where the physical machinery reside?
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 06:52 PM   #23
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That's covered in the mod agreement and that won't be being changed beyond the changing of "JREF". See: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=27572
The mod agreement should be in a public space then and linked to in the T&C. You're asking people to agree to special privileges for Mods and Admins without letting then know what a Mod or Admin can or can't do.

I know it's always been this way, but you did ask for feedback.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 07:29 PM   #24
LashL

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla
One question only:

That would be where the physical machinery reside?

Yes, that is so, as I understand it.
Old 3rd September 2014, 07:44 PM   #25
LashL

No, Mods have no access to names and such, only Admins do. This is a bit of standard/default language carried over from the existing JREF T&Cs, which was (presumably) put in place 'just in case'. You (and every other member) have, of course, the option not to agree to the new T&Cs if you take issue with them in any regard.
Old 3rd September 2014, 07:55 PM   #26
temporalillusion
Technical Admin

And who are the "officers of TribeTech or its agents" who can see this information?
I don't know about officers, but agents usually refers to people that (in this case) TribeTech assigns certain tasks or responsibilities to. So an offsite backup provider would have a copy of the data sitting on their servers. Technical administrators would have console level root access to the operating system. Sometimes the companies providing the hardware have a certain level of access for remote hand and eyes if stuff goes wonky and remote access isn't working (though I don't think that's the case here). The server provider might have access to the physical disks (likely in the kind of setup we're going to) so in theory has access to the server disk and any snapshots taken. That kind of thing.

Last edited by temporalillusion; 3rd September 2014 at 07:56 PM.
temporalillusion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 08:07 PM   #27
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Why in the world not???

I'm definitely in!
It may have escaped your notice but most of the world doesn't live there.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 08:13 PM   #28
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by LashL View Post
Yes, that is so, as I understand it.
If this is the case then I have no further questions.

Bring it on!

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 08:17 PM   #29
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Quote:
All posts are the opinions of their authors and are not the views or opinions of TribeTech.
"All posts are the opinions of their authors and are not necessarily the views or opinions of TribeTech or its agents."

Quote:
By posting, uploading, or sharing your content on the Forum, you grant TribeTech a perpetual, non-exclusive, sub-licensable, royalty-free, transferable, worldwide license to access, use, and display your content, which includes without limitation the right for TribeTech or any third party it designates, to publish, copy, excerpt, transmit, use, host, index, cache, distribute, display, create derivative works of, modify and adapt, in any form or media now known or subsequently developed.
I realize this in intended to cover a lot of trouble spots, including possible baton-passing were that to become necessary, but as a whole, this copyright paragraph is a bit off-putting.

Quote:
Copyright on content generated prior to TribeTech’s hosting of the Forum remains with the member, and such content has been republished on the Forum by the James Randi Educational Foundation pursuant to its license.
"Copyright on the Forum content generated prior to TribeTech’s hosting of the Forum remains with the member, and such content has been republished on the Forum by the James Randi Educational Foundation pursuant to its license."

Quote:
When your computer connects to the Forum, a record is kept of your IP Address .
"When your computer connects to the Forum, a record is kept made of your IP Address." --You are making no promise to keep the records.

I didn't see an agreement term that explicitly permitted TribeTech to transfer the entire agreement and all of its rights under it to a third party. Wouldn't that resolve the passing-of-the-baton problem without the ungodly copyright condition?

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:18 PM   #30
Loss Leader

One question only:

Because that's where the lawyer who looked at this was licensed. His thought process was, "Well, I know this is all okay in New York. I have no idea how any of it might be interpreted outside of New York. If we ever get sued, I want to be able to handle the matter without hiring local counsel. Also, this same wording has been in every contract I've ever seen and I might as well put it in because I'm not about to be the one who screws this up."

As a lawyer in New York, I'm pretty sure that was exactly what happened.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:31 PM   #31
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
I'm in.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:07 PM   #32
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
I demand blanket immunity.
Not until you give me back my blankie. Hurry!! I - I need it!!!
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:09 PM   #33
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
I'm in also.
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:10 PM   #34
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by LashL View Post
No, Mods have no access to names and such, only Admins do. This is a bit of standard/default language carried over from the existing JREF T&Cs, which was (presumably) put in place 'just in case'. You (and every other member) have, of course, the option not to agree to the new T&Cs if you take issue with them in any regard.
Mods do not have access to the database, so cannot look up details at will. However, names do occasionally get disclosed in the moderation area for operational reasons.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:20 PM   #35
Loss Leader

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Mods do not have access to the database, so cannot look up details at will. However, names do occasionally get disclosed in the moderation area for operational reasons.

... primarily related to sockpuppetry allegations.

L. Leader
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:29 PM   #36
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

I clicked on the linkk and nothing happened. I heard the letters pdf in the web address so I wanted to see whether my computer will turn it into something that Synthetic Dave can read, but as nothing happened I don't know!
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:32 PM   #37
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Because that's where the lawyer who looked at this was licensed. His thought process was, "Well, I know this is all okay in New York. I have no idea how any of it might be interpreted outside of New York. If we ever get sued, I want to be able to handle the matter without hiring local counsel. Also, this same wording has been in every contract I've ever seen and I might as well put it in because I'm not about to be the one who screws this up."

As a lawyer in New York, I'm pretty sure that was exactly what happened.
Sure, but I would also like confirmation of LashL's answer from Darat or icerat if possible.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:06 PM   #38
Donn
Philosopher

I ain't a lawyer, so I have to go on trust. Not very scepticky of me, I know. Please don't feed me to the machine!
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:09 PM   #39
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
The mod agreement should be in a public space then and linked to in the T&C. You're asking people to agree to special privileges for Mods and Admins without letting then know what a Mod or Admin can or can't do.

I know it's always been this way, but you did ask for feedback.
Those agreements were always public. (as far as I know)
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...splay.php?f=30

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:32 PM   #40
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

IANAL, so I have no idea what I'm signing off on, but I agree.

PS. Can we make sure all members, including SusanB-M1 (see four posts above) and others, can access this info as well?

Last edited by AdMan; 3rd September 2014 at 11:45 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF