IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Changeover timetable , Future of Forum , ISF , new forum

Old 8th September 2014, 01:33 AM   #81
icerat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by beelzebub View Post
.....These seemed to indicate at least a 'visitable' site, if not one yet ready to 'move in'.

I shall await the official opening with excited interest
Jim
You're posting on the "visitable" site. We've moved the forum from a dedicated server in seattle to a "cloud server" in new york. It's still owned by JREF. This was to (a) improve performance (b) get it off hardware at risk of failure (c) make it simpler and faster to transition the forum to the new ownership.

We'll now be setting up the new forum under the new branding in the same "cloud" data center (so rapid copying of data) but with personal information deleted and a process in place for members to approve the new T&C and transfer of personal data.
Old 8th September 2014, 02:13 AM   #82
The_Fire
Unimpressed Female

Originally Posted by icerat View Post
Hmmm .. it all went suspiciously too smoothly for my liking, entirely un-IT like ....
congratz. You just jinxed us.......
"We? That better be you and that invisible aardwarck in your pocket you are talking about, because I KNOW you are not stupid enough to open a giant can of whoop ass by claiming you know what I think."
Stop Sylvia Browne
The_Fire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2014, 04:21 AM   #83
RationalVetMed
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Yes. Although I don't think it will be needed as I expect the changes will make the leading story on all reputable news media.
LOL!

Many thanks to everyone involved with the move for all their efforts, and for dealing with everyone's concerns with such patience.

Cheers,

Yuri

'No Way to Treat a Friend: Lifting the Lid on Complementary and Alternative Veterinary Medicine' book now available to order.
RationalVetMed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2014, 05:24 AM   #84
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

Does my bum look fat on this server?
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2014, 05:41 AM   #85
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
Does my bum look fat on this server?
As usual.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2014, 12:30 PM   #86
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Transition seamless from my POV. Don't know why but it seems my most recent posts have been emailed to me.

Is it still the JREF forum??? I send people here.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2014, 01:14 PM   #87
Donn
Philosopher

For now, yes. Not for long. Address change coming sometime, not sure when.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2014, 07:52 PM   #88
De_Bunk
Scourge of the Believer

Will I dream...?

Daisy, Daisy...Give me your answer...................

DB

Trouble is..nearly 25,000 have been deleted...100% true..(Thanks to someone messing with the database..and you know who you are)

And you think you're 'Hardcore'.. (DB)

Last edited by De_Bunk; 8th September 2014 at 08:00 PM.
De_Bunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2014, 12:18 PM   #89
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Are we still on schedule to morph into ISF in a couple or 3 days time?
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2014, 02:04 PM   #90
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Did I miss something? The OP says we move to the ISF as stage 2, but it does not give a date. Is there a date somewhere else?

Edit. Actually found it. Stage 3 should be by September 16. That is in the OP.

Last edited by rjh01; 13th September 2014 at 02:06 PM.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2014, 02:39 PM   #91
icerat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
That'd be a big maybe.

Or as one of my mentors puts it -

"I've never missed a goal yet!

.... I've just had to reschedule quite a few ... "
Old 13th September 2014, 08:19 PM   #92
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

That'd be a big maybe.

Or as one of my mentors puts it -

"I've never missed a goal yet!

.... I've just had to reschedule quite a few ... "
Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey! Make sure the foundation (in that other sense of the word from the one we've been using) is solid and that the nuts and bolts are all threaded right. It's better to miss by a few days or even weeks than to do round-peg-in-square-hole forces just to meet an arbitrary deadline.

But you guys know that....

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2014, 12:15 PM   #93
icerat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey! Make sure the foundation (in that other sense of the word from the one we've been using) is solid and that the nuts and bolts are all threaded right. It's better to miss by a few days or even weeks than to do round-peg-in-square-hole forces just to meet an arbitrary deadline.

But you guys know that....
deadline get things done, but they're moveable. Which we've done

There'll be some brief downtime in a few hours as part of the process, but will be some days until we're finished, yes.
Old 17th September 2014, 01:01 PM   #94
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Whats this name change all about?
Old 17th September 2014, 01:06 PM   #95
Gawdzilla Sama

There'll be some brief downtime in a few hours as part of the process, ......
We're all going to die.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2014, 01:15 PM   #96
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
Whats this name change all about?
In brief, The James Randi Educational Foundation decided The Forum was unnecessary baggage.
Member, Icerat, is now hosting The Forum, but it can't get on without a name change.
It will become The International Skeptics Forum and will continue with pretty much the same membership agreements.

I for one welcome out new Arctic Rodent Overlord.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown

Last edited by Apathia; 17th September 2014 at 01:17 PM.
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2014, 01:31 PM   #97
icerat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
We're all going to die.
Can't argue with that
Old 17th September 2014, 02:40 PM   #98
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
I for one welcome out new Arctic Rodent Overlord.

Me too. He is one cool cat -- I mean, "rat."
Old 17th September 2014, 02:41 PM   #99
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

I won't, but I can't say the same for the rest of you. There can be only one.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2014, 03:58 PM   #100
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Me too. He is one cool cat -- I mean, "rat."
Then we should have named the new forum "Boca Raton".
Old 22nd September 2014, 08:48 PM   #101
Kopji

Wow I have to say this was the smoothest transition I've ever been in. This new site looks just like the old.
Kopji is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:15 PM   #102
Donn
Philosopher

It's a kopji of the old.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:45 PM   #103
Octavo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
It's a kopji of the old.
We've donn these puns to death already.
Octavo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:13 AM   #104
Donn
Philosopher

Aargh! Grabs chest, shakes fist; slumps to ground.
Old 23rd September 2014, 01:38 AM   #105
Whingeing Pom

Things are moving. There's now a registration page at the new Forum.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...w=registration
Old 23rd September 2014, 02:04 AM   #106
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I have just registered. I wonder if I will have to do anything more?
Old 23rd September 2014, 02:17 AM   #107
DrDave
Illuminator

Sockpuppet! Ban him!!
DrDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2014, 03:07 AM   #108
icerat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 666 View Post

Just a holding site for the moment, no point registering
Old 23rd September 2014, 03:21 AM   #109
Donn
Philosopher

Time Tesseract! Metawow!
Old 23rd September 2014, 04:03 AM   #110
Whingeing Pom

Just a holding site for the moment, no point registering
I assumed that, as all the talk is of our being transferred automatically when the time comes.
Old 23rd September 2014, 04:24 AM   #111
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

It looks like my registration will fall in a Crack in the universe . This means that after this event it will never have existed in the first place.
Old 23rd September 2014, 05:07 AM   #112
Octavo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
It looks like my registration will fall in a Crack in the universe . This means that after this event it will never have existed in the first place.
That's ok since we're headed to
the promised land
anyway...
Octavo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2014, 08:08 AM   #113
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
That's ok since we're headed to
the promised land
anyway...
I was thinking more along the lines of the final scene from Of Mice and Men.

"Tell us about the rabbits, Icerat..."

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2014, 08:12 AM   #114
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of the final scene from Of Mice and Men.

"Tell us about the rabbits, Icerat..."
I hope he has the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.
Old 23rd September 2014, 08:27 AM   #115
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
I hope he has the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.
There are other ways to deal with rabbits.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Though best dealt with before they get too big.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:34 AM   #116
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!

A bit bland looking, as is the home page, which is a surprisingly rather noisy place, despite the conspicuous lack of activity...
One could speculate it's the sounds of construction, but I distinctly heard gunfire, so I'm assuming this is instead some sort of direct hostile takeover.
Of what, I do not know.
Old 23rd September 2014, 01:53 PM   #117
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Mod WarningDiscussion of moderation issues should be in the Forum Management Feedback section. See: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...5#post10238285
Responding to this modbox in thread will be off topic Posted By:Darat
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2014, 08:34 PM   #118
Kopji

Kopji - It's a long o like in 'cope', so sounds more like koepee than 'kawpee' like in copulate or copy. But willing to bend the rulez for pun. Being an occasional project manager I was not serious and never expect anything delivered on time except stuff that doesn't work. :-)
Kopji is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2014, 12:27 AM   #119
CelticRose
Graduate Poster

I get this message:
Quote:
404: Planet X Not Found
I like the webmaster's sense of humor.

Be yourself no matter what they say. - Sting

My needlework blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com/
CelticRose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2014, 01:46 AM   #120
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by CelticRose View Post
I get this message:

I like the webmaster's sense of humor.
I have registered. There is no room for anymore people.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF