IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Changeover timetable , Future of Forum , ISF , new forum

Old 4th October 2014, 09:25 PM   #161
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Wonder what traffic will be like? How many people will bail?

Right now the listing is showing 65 members logged in. Fewer than normal I think but that's to be expected. When did the forum come back on-line anyway?
I think many are sitting back with a wait-and-see attitude. As for me, I figured agreeing to the new Membership Agreement isn't all that bad, but I also have a wait-and-see attitude. Icerat has some explaining to do.

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2014, 09:35 PM   #162
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
Yeah, links still aren't working properly. I assume this is still being sorted out. Default color scheme is bad. And that tiny little header graphic with International Skeptics is pretty sad. .

I know there are peeps working on this, though.

I think things are improving and most links are now working for me.

What's with the tiny ISF logo at the top, though? Is that what we decided upon?

Last edited by AdMan; 4th October 2014 at 09:37 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2014, 09:42 PM   #163
MCel58
Demented Hen

Why is the forum time always an hour out of sync
MCel58 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2014, 09:46 PM   #164
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MiaC View Post
Why is the forum time always an hour out of sync

This is likely due to your own settings. Go to your profile and make sure the time options are correctly set to your time zone.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2014, 09:47 PM   #165
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

If all of my personal information was deleted and then recreated in a new forum, would I still be me?
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2014, 09:48 PM   #166
temporalillusion
Technical Admin

I think things are improving and most links are now working for me.
Yeah mucking through to find where stuff is and changing it, it'll take a while to find it all.

I thought it was (there was a discussion about it being animated I think), but it is kinda small. Will have to play with that as well.

Design isn't my forte though.
Old 4th October 2014, 09:50 PM   #167
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by temporalillusion View Post
Yeah mucking through to find where stuff is and changing it, it'll take a while to find it all.

I thought it was (there was a discussion about it being animated I think), but it is kinda small. Will have to play with that as well.

Give me dimensions and I'll fix it up. You need three pieces to make it work like the old one, right?
Old 4th October 2014, 09:52 PM   #168
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
If all of my personal information was deleted and then recreated in a new forum, would I still be me?
No, but yes.
Old 4th October 2014, 09:53 PM   #169
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

I think what was being thought about being animated was the Newton's Cradle (bouncing earths) on the left. Please don't animate that! This isn't the 90s. But the main logo needs to be rethought and be made much larger. ETA: Mike! I'm sure you can help out. I liked a lot of your earlier efforts.

Last edited by AdMan; 4th October 2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 4th October 2014, 09:55 PM   #170
yomero
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jsfisher View Post
I think many are sitting back with a wait-and-see attitude. As for me, I figured agreeing to the new Membership Agreement isn't all that bad, but I also have a wait-and-see attitude. Icerat has some explaining to do.
I'm just posting to check if I'm correctly registered.

ETA. It seems to be working OK.

Last edited by yomero; 4th October 2014 at 09:56 PM.
yomero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2014, 09:56 PM   #171
temporalillusion
Technical Admin

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Give me dimensions and I'll fix it up. You need three pieces to make it work like the old one, right?
I think it'll grow to whatever dimensions of images I stick in there, or I can figure out how to adjust the height to match a decent image.

I actually cut that image in two and made it left/right like the old way and it looked weird. But I had the images right up against the left and right, if they were inwards a little more might look better. Plus gotta figure out where the background of that table is set.
Old 4th October 2014, 09:58 PM   #172
temporalillusion
Technical Admin

I think what was being thought about being animated was the Newton's Cradle (bouncing earths) on the left. Please don't animate that! This isn't the 90s. But the main logo needs to be rethought and be made much larger.
Only animate the cradle if the earths can be spinning too.

EDIT: Ok changed it to the original size from the logo thread, I'll play with splitting it again and see what that's like.

Last edited by temporalillusion; 4th October 2014 at 10:03 PM.
temporalillusion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2014, 10:04 PM   #173
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Only glitch so far was because I hadn't white-listed the URL for script blocker using firefox. Subscribed threads didn't come up until I allowed javascripts to run.

All seems normal now.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2014, 10:12 PM   #174
rdaneel
Illuminator

Only glitch so far was because I hadn't white-listed the URL for script blocker using firefox. Subscribed threads didn't come up until I allowed javascripts to run.

All seems normal now.
OOOHH! That's what was screwing me up!
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2014, 10:12 PM   #175
temporalillusion
Technical Admin

Ok, split them up and traded sides, good enough for tonight.
Old 4th October 2014, 10:14 PM   #176
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, good enough for the time being, I think. Thanks for your efforts in getting everything transferred and good night.
Old 4th October 2014, 10:19 PM   #177
Dan O.
Banned

Did anybody bother to read the new forum rules? This line doesn't parse quite right:
When your computer connects to the Forum, a record is kept of your IP Address is recorded.
Dan O. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2014, 10:26 PM   #178
Pulvinar
Graduate Poster

I was wondering what would happen to Google searches after the switch. It looks like existing searches including "site:forums.randi.org" now all return "404: Planet X Not Found". Searches that include "site:internationalskeptics.com" are starting to fill in, but searches without the "site:" keyword still appear to all go to randi.org.
Pulvinar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2014, 10:39 PM   #179
Pulvinar
Graduate Poster

Looks good to me. That earths logo is a little unnerving though. Makes me want to grab onto my chair…
Pulvinar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2014, 10:41 PM   #180
temporalillusion
Technical Admin

Originally Posted by Pulvinar View Post
I was wondering what would happen to Google searches after the switch. It looks like existing searches including "site:forums.randi.org" now all return "404: Planet X Not Found". Searches that include "site:internationalskeptics.com" are starting to fill in, but searches without the "site:" keyword still appear to all go to randi.org.
Hrm, that's weird, I put in a redirect so they should all get updated with a 301 redirect and Google will update the results.

Oh wait its the archive results isn't it? I hate those things. Do you have an example of a link that goes to 404?
Old 4th October 2014, 11:22 PM   #181
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by MikeG
Quote:
Notices
The server will be coming down at approximately 0000UTC Oct 5 (1800MDT Oct 4) for migration to the final server and domain name. The process should take a few hours but may take more. The new URL will be http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums.
Looks like Stage 3 is upon us......
Reminded me of Crysis 3...

===

Anyway looks good. (Now time to change my years ingrained habit of typing "for" to get forums.randi.org)

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2014, 11:29 PM   #182
steenkh
Philosopher

Now I have seen with my own eyes that there is life after death!

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2014, 12:04 AM   #183
Pulvinar
Graduate Poster

Hrm, that's weird, I put in a redirect so they should all get updated with a 301 redirect and Google will update the results.

Oh wait its the archive results isn't it? I hate those things. Do you have an example of a link that goes to 404?
I see what you mean about archive results. These Google results still go to 404:

site:forums.randi.org Pulvinar

And yet these results that I just did for the first time go to the new forum:

site:forums.randi.org temporalillusion
Old 5th October 2014, 04:16 AM   #184
Reno
Inquisitor

didn't JREF forums used to be blue?

"I am the danger." - Heisenberg
Reno is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2014, 04:45 AM   #185
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

As your username hasn't changed to Theseus, I think we can safely assume so.
Old 5th October 2014, 05:30 AM   #186
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

*tap, tap, tap*

Is this thing on?
Old 5th October 2014, 05:32 AM   #187
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Dan O. View Post
Did anybody bother to read the new forum rules? This line doesn't parse quite right:
When your computer connects to the Forum, a record is kept of your IP Address is recorded.

Well, I would certainly expect that for when the "Remember me" box is checked and for at least perhaps for the time your log in stays active when not checked.
Old 5th October 2014, 05:56 AM   #188
The_Fire
Unimpressed Female

Honey, I'm hoooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeee!!!!
"We? That better be you and that invisible aardwarck in your pocket you are talking about, because I KNOW you are not stupid enough to open a giant can of whoop ass by claiming you know what I think."
Stop Sylvia Browne
The_Fire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2014, 07:08 AM   #189
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

It looks to me as if the text font is paler - the page, or whatever part I have magnified, looks sort of washed out.
I always have the computer set to ignore background colours and fonts, but I think it would help if I could have the font darker, which would mean I could put the cursor on a line more easily.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2014, 07:26 AM   #190
Dan O.
Banned

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Well, I would certainly expect that for when the "Remember me" box is checked and for at least perhaps for the time your log in stays active when not checked.

I'm not talking about what the line is trying to say but what is written. Few people actually read all of the words as they see what they expect to see. It's a form of confirmation blindness that prevents them from seeing the man in the gorilla suit.
Dan O. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2014, 07:26 AM   #191
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Old 5th October 2014, 08:35 AM   #192
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Shouldn't this sub-forum title be changed to ISF topics?
Old 5th October 2014, 08:50 AM   #193
temporalillusion
Technical Admin

The subforums will soon be reorganized and renamed as appropriate I believe.
Old 5th October 2014, 08:53 AM   #194
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Dan O. View Post
I'm not talking about what the line is trying to say but what is written. Few people actually read all of the words as they see what they expect to see. It's a form of confirmation blindness that prevents them from seeing the man in the gorilla suit.
I read it and what it was trying to say is what, as I said, I expected to see. Do you have some "seeing the man in the gorilla suit" "confirmation blindness" even when the suit was obviously just left laying on the floor?
Old 5th October 2014, 08:56 AM   #195
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Dang, I totally missed that. I wonder what the font is called, "Kubricks" perhaps "Strangeletter"?

Last edited by The Man; 5th October 2014 at 08:58 AM. Reason: typo
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2014, 08:57 AM   #196
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I read it and what it was trying to say is what, as I said, I expected to see. Do you have some "seeing the man in the gorilla suit" "confirmation blindness" even when the suit was obviously just left laying on the floor?
Read it again. Carefully.

Quote:
Dan O is right, it doesn't parse.

I'm assuming it should either say "When your computer connects to the Forum, a record is kept of your IP Address" or "When your computer connects to the Forum, your IP Address is recorded". I suspect whoever wrote it started off writing one, changed it to the other, and didn't change it correctly.
Old 5th October 2014, 09:05 AM   #197
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I'm assuming it should either say "When your computer connects to the Forum, a record is kept of your IP Address" or "When your computer connects to the Forum, your IP Address is recorded". I suspect whoever wrote it started off writing one, changed it to the other, and didn't change it correctly.
As I recall, the original version used "kept". The word choice carried a sense of "forever" that wasn't what was intended. The word, "recorded", is correct, but the edit was not.

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2014, 09:06 AM   #198
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Dang, I totally missed that. I wonder what the font is called, "Kubricks" perhaps "Strangeletter"?
The font is called Pablo Skinny, named after Pablo Ferro who is a famous graphic artist and did the credits design for Dr. Strangelove and many others.
Old 5th October 2014, 09:07 AM   #199
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Read it again. Carefully.
I have.

Dan O is right, it doesn't parse.
I never said that he was wrong.

So while not quite right it really isn't difficult to parse.

Last edited by The Man; 5th October 2014 at 09:09 AM. Reason: typo
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2014, 09:08 AM   #200
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The font is called Pablo Skinny, named after Pablo Ferro who is a famous graphic artist and did the credits design for Dr. Strangelove and many others.

I think I remember seeing "Pablo Skinny" as font choice somewhere.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF