IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Changeover timetable , Future of Forum , ISF , new forum

Old 5th October 2014, 09:12 AM   #201
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
So while not quite right it really it's difficult to parse.
Did you do that deliberately?
Old 5th October 2014, 09:25 AM   #202
temporalillusion
Technical Admin

Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
Anyway looks good. (Now time to change my years ingrained habit of typing "for" to get forums.randi.org)
Just for you, if you type forums.internationalskeptics.com it'll redirect to the proper URL.
Old 5th October 2014, 10:18 AM   #203
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by temporalillusion View Post
Just for you, if you type forums.internationalskeptics.com it'll redirect to the proper URL.
Didn't expect that. Although, I am pretty sure I am not alone using that...

Thank you. (Laziness may continue unchanged. )

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2014, 11:12 AM   #204
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Did you do that deliberately?
Naw, my hand just got stuck in the glove of the gorilla suit.
Old 5th October 2014, 02:18 PM   #205
SUSpilot
Graduate Poster

Tapatalk, puh-leese! I know, ensuring that people that come in that way sign the membership agreement....
SUSpilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2014, 08:01 AM   #206
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dan O. View Post
Did anybody bother to read the new forum rules? This line doesn't parse quite right:
When your computer connects to the Forum, a record is kept of your IP Address is recorded.
That wording was mandated by the Department of Redundancy Department.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2014, 11:43 AM   #207
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

Well since the new randi.org website has no link nor even a passing reference to this forum , despite their assurance at one time they would keep a link for several months, I suggest we delete the JREF topics as soon as possible and move this thread to a more appropriate section.
Rrose Selavy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2014, 12:12 PM   #208
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
The Million Dollar Challenge threads are valuable resources. They should be retained.
Old 6th October 2014, 12:40 PM   #209
icerat
Philosopher

JREF made some request for changes when they wanted the site moved. We're still to process them, but some things will be moved around.
Old 6th October 2014, 01:27 PM   #210
xterra
So far, so good...

Will some things be eliminated?
Old 6th October 2014, 04:21 PM   #211
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Will some things be eliminated?
Is "things" the new euphemism for "poster"?

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2014, 04:34 PM   #212
xterra
So far, so good...

Originally Posted by Metullus View Post
Is "things" the new euphemism for "poster"?

I was referring to threads or specific forums, like the MDC, not people. That also seems to have been icerat's meaning when he responded to my question.
Old 6th October 2014, 05:05 PM   #213
Ocelot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Rrose Selavy View Post
Well since the new randi.org website has no link nor even a passing reference to this forum , despite their assurance at one time they would keep a link for several months, I suggest we delete the JREF topics as soon as possible and move this thread to a more appropriate section.
I found a passing refernce

http://web.randi.org/the-million-dollar-challenge.html
Section 2.3

Quote:
Past claims have included: psychic or mediumistic powers, ESP, dowsing, magnetic humans, astrology, faith healing, etc. Read through the JREF forum for a list of previous applicants if you’d like to see whether or not your claim has been tested before. A partial list can be found at: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...splay.php?f=43
Old 6th October 2014, 09:08 PM   #214
Doghouse Reilly
Adrift on an uncharted sea

Originally Posted by Reno View Post
didn't JREF forums used to be blue?
Not to my recollection, but I could be wrong.

It might have been better to keep the same color scheme just to ease the transition. I chose "The Red One" in my options and it makes the forum look the same as it did before. IMO that should have been made the default.
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2014, 12:28 AM   #215
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

So far I've had no hitches except that it's not as easy to type search terms anymore. My way of accessing was to Google the old acronym. By using the terms skeptic and skeptics I've found other forums where, IMO, the standards for logic are much lower and posters provided fewer links, etc.

I know a bookmark or shortcut would solve this but absent that it if you are using just search terms you could land somewhere else.

This is the best forum I've found for civility, logic and links to real data. If there are others I'd like to know about them.

Last edited by Minoosh; 7th October 2014 at 12:29 AM. Reason: typo
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2014, 01:07 AM   #216
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
I think what was being thought about being animated was the Newton's Cradle (bouncing earths) on the left. Please don't animate that! This isn't the 90s.

Just for fun, I made an animated version of my own...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/prjj02xyqm...ight2.gif?dl=0

(Note: Dropbox just shows a preview, you have to download it to see it move. I'd have uploaded it straight to the forum, but apparently 161.2kb is exceeds the size limit.)

Last edited by Brian-M; 7th October 2014 at 01:08 AM.
Brian-M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2014, 01:56 AM   #217
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Doghouse Reilly View Post
You are wrong. It very definitely used to be blue. It probably was the same blue as the new blue because I recall it was the vBulletin default color. It changed to red around 2006 or 2007, I think. I believe the red was to match the colors on the JREF website.
Old 7th October 2014, 02:07 AM   #218
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Brian-M View Post
Just for fun, I made an animated version of my own.....
Nice.

To be really picky with the original, and thus yours, if we were viewing it exactly from the side we would only see one vertical string holding each earth as the other would be obscured behind it (A, below). If we aren't viewing it exactly from the side, as implied by both strings being visible, then we would only see one complete earth, and each of the others would be partially hidden from view by the one slightly in front of it (B, below). If B, then you would need some perspective, as in C.

"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.

Last edited by MikeG; 7th October 2014 at 02:24 AM.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2014, 04:26 AM   #219
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Nice.

To be really picky with the original, and thus yours, if we were viewing it exactly from the side we would only see one vertical string holding each earth as the other would be obscured behind it (A, below). If we aren't viewing it exactly from the side, as implied by both strings being visible, then we would only see one complete earth, and each of the others would be partially hidden from view by the one slightly in front of it (B, below). If B, then you would need some perspective, as in C.

http://i.imgur.com/rleydDa.jpg
You know, you are good. Really good. You certainly have The Eye.
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2014, 04:54 AM   #220
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Nice.

http://i.imgur.com/rleydDa.jpg
You are perspectively* correct. In this case, I used 'two' strings to get the idea of it being a Newton's Cradle across more effectively. Had I used only one, while more correct from a perspective perspective, it would mostly just appear as globes on strings to the average viewer.

*Not a real word
Old 7th October 2014, 05:01 AM   #221
steenkh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
You are perspectively* correct. In this case, I used 'two' strings to get the idea of it being a Newton's Cradle across more effectively. Had I used only one, while more correct from a perspective perspective, it would mostly just appear as globes on strings to the average viewer.
That would be the old Egyptian way of showing things: not in perspective, but with all important features displayed.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2014, 05:17 AM   #222
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
That would be the old Egyptian way of showing things: not in perspective, but with all important features displayed.
Actually, now that I've had my coffee, from a true perspective view, the end globes two strings would be visible, only the center globes would obscure the second strings. The bottom line was, I went with a more 'graphic' representation of the Newton's Cradle than a perspectively* correct version.
Zax made a nice animated version of it too...

*Still not a real word.

Last edited by Mike!; 7th October 2014 at 05:21 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2014, 06:23 AM   #223
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Doghouse Reilly View Post
They weren't read originally. When I joined up in 2005 they were somewhat bluish if memory serves.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2014, 06:45 AM   #224
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Actually, now that I've had my coffee, from a true perspective view, the end globes two strings would be visible, only the center globes would obscure the second strings.......
In my view, you made exactly the right choice representing it the way you did in the still image. It's just as soon as one swings the globes that the oddity of the string position becomes quite apparent.

You are also right that from a true perspective point of view, if you were viewing from the midpoint of the line of globes, with the globes at your eye level, then only the centre one would have its front string obscure the rear string. Architectural elevations, however, assume a planar view (ie you look at the view as though you are 90 degrees from anywhere in the entire view of the subject at the same time). Because you showed each of them the same (ie no attempt at perspective) then it's hard not to think you are viewing an architectural elevation....and so we go back to my original point.

However, I think we digress, and AAH awaits digressions in this 'ere place.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2014, 08:21 PM   #225
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

JREF was whichever of a few different color schemes you chose to have. (I always used a bluish green one.) This place is whichever of a few different color schemes you chose to have. (I've picked one of the two purple ones.)
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2014, 10:08 PM   #226
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
JREF was whichever of a few different color schemes you chose to have. (I always used a bluish green one.) This place is whichever of a few different color schemes you chose to have. (I've picked one of the two purple ones.)
I hadn't realized you could change it, but it seems that I'd never scrolled down far enough through the "Edit Options" page to find the "Miscellaneous Options" before.

I've now set the "Forum Skin" to "The Red One", and it's looking a lot more familiar.

(But I guess it's still going to have me feeling blue until I log in.)
Old 7th October 2014, 10:54 PM   #227
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

I hadn't realized you could change it, but it seems that I'd never scrolled down far enough through the "Edit Options" page to find the "Miscellaneous Options" before.

I've now set the "Forum Skin" to "The Red One", and it's looking a lot more familiar.

(But I guess it's still going to have me feeling blue until I log in.)
You ain't the only one, however it seems to go back to default when first opened without the IP "Remember me" retained (ain't tried it the other way yet).
Old 8th October 2014, 03:20 AM   #228
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
You ain't the only one, however it seems to go back to default when first opened without the IP "Remember me" retained (ain't tried it the other way yet).
Strange, even with the "remember me" box ticked it still starts off blue next time I log in, and it remains blue even after I log in. But when I click on a link it suddenly remembers to replace the blue with red.
Old 8th October 2014, 07:34 AM   #229
temporalillusion
Technical Admin

Strange, even with the "remember me" box ticked it still starts off blue next time I log in, and it remains blue even after I log in. But when I click on a link it suddenly remembers to replace the blue with red.
Yeah unfortunately that's the forum software plugin for the front page; it wasn't coded to follow your style choice, it shows the same style to everyone regardless of what you pick (in this case shows The Blues to everyone).
Old 8th October 2014, 08:27 AM   #230
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Yeah unfortunately that's the forum software plugin for the front page; it wasn't coded to follow your style choice, it shows the same style to everyone regardless of what you pick (in this case shows The Blues to everyone).
Actually that was a JREF dictated thing - when I customized the Forum style it was meant to tie in with the update to the JREF website... but given the furore caused by changing from the default vBulletin 3.x blue I created the sub styles so folk could have their own choice of colour. With the JREF a distant memory I've unlocked the style so the Forum HomePage should now display in a Member's chosen style.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2014, 08:31 AM   #231
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
What, where ?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2014, 08:45 AM   #232
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
What, where ?
Scroll to the very bottom of a page, you'll see a small dropdown box on your left, click on that and it opens a world of possibilities.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2014, 08:46 AM   #233
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
What, where ?
Here:

Old 8th October 2014, 08:50 AM   #234
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Please note the arrow is for illustrative purposes only.
Old 8th October 2014, 11:24 AM   #235
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Sure, you say that now........
Old 8th October 2014, 11:43 AM   #236
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

What arrow?
Old 8th October 2014, 02:04 PM   #237
xterra
So far, so good...

Illustrative of what?
Old 8th October 2014, 02:14 PM   #238
temporalillusion
Technical Admin

Actually that was a JREF dictated thing - when I customized the Forum style it was meant to tie in with the update to the JREF website... but given the furore caused by changing from the default vBulletin 3.x blue I created the sub styles so folk could have their own choice of colour. With the JREF a distant memory I've unlocked the style so the Forum HomePage should now display in a Member's chosen style.
Nice, where/how did you do it? I thought I'd gone through all those settings and couldn't find it.

EDIT: Wow, now I feel stupid now I see it lol.
Old 8th October 2014, 05:03 PM   #239
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Nice, where/how did you do it? I thought I'd gone through all those settings and couldn't find it.

EDIT: Wow, now I feel stupid now I see it lol.

I didn't see it down there before now either. I actually did find it in the settings.

I clicked on the Edit Options link in the User CP menu, scrolled down until I found the Forum Skin section, and there it was.

I guess I never bothered scrolling all the way down to the bottom of a page before now.
Old 9th October 2014, 11:01 AM   #240
macdoc
Philosopher

Is there a troll friendly colour so we can cater to them????
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF