IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd November 2014, 10:56 AM   #1
wardenclyffe
Master Poster

What happened at the JREF website?

Hmmmm. When I go to www.randi.org, the most recent post is from September 20 and it's about the new website.

Gone are more recent announcements about the upcoming TAM, the NY Times article about Randi, updates from Sharon Hill's website, etc..

Anyone know if this is just a glitch or if the JREF is retreating even further from the cyber-world?

Ward
Old 22nd November 2014, 11:52 AM   #2
icerat
Philosopher

Looks like just the home page. Swift is up to date.
Old 22nd November 2014, 04:36 PM   #3
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

The wayback machine archived it on November 18 and all of the content was present on the homepage. No way to know whether it is intentional or not. Maybe JREF doesn't even know 2-3 months of posts have vanished.

A sufficiently motivated individual could mail them to let them know that this has occurred and possibly ask why.

I am insufficiently motivated to do so.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2014, 05:35 PM   #4
wardenclyffe
Master Poster

I never knew there was much difference between the home page and the Swift page. I don't think there was recently until now.

Ward
Old 22nd November 2014, 06:05 PM   #5
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™

Originally Posted by wardenclyffe View Post
Hmmmm. When I go to www.randi.org, the most recent post is from September 20 and it's about the new website.

Gone are more recent announcements about the upcoming TAM, the NY Times article about Randi, updates from Sharon Hill's website, etc..

They are all showing up fine for me.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2014, 06:34 PM   #6
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LashL View Post
They are all showing up fine for me.
Yup, same here. Were I to guess, someone did something silly which was then fixed.

It's not as if JREF recognises any importance of the intertubes. Else we would not be here on ISF.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2014, 06:49 PM   #7
wardenclyffe
Master Poster

It is, indeed, back to normal. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

Ward
Old 22nd November 2014, 07:23 PM   #8
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wardenclyffe View Post
It is, indeed, back to normal. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

Ward
No, it's not normal. **sob** It will never be "normal" ever again...

I miss my spiritual father. It's especially bad around Christmas, when all those people start dressing like him. Ho, ho, WAAAA!!
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2014, 06:26 AM   #9
Locknar
Sum of all evils tm

Does anyone actually check the JREF site these days?
Old 18th December 2014, 06:30 AM   #10
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Originally Posted by Locknar View Post
Does anyone actually check the JREF site these days?
Yeah, NSA.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2014, 06:30 AM   #11
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

I saw a tweet last night about how the JREF site was supposed to be down for a bit. Would it have anything to do with that?
Old 18th December 2014, 09:55 AM   #12
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Hmm, last update was Dec 7 -- today is the 18th. Last one before that was Nov 30. And there's very little there anyhow. It makes me sad, looking back on the days I looked forward to Fridays for a new Swift newsletter.
Old 18th December 2014, 11:05 AM   #13
Psi Baba
Homo Skepticalis

Hmm. First Sony, then the JREF. Who's next, Timecube?

There is a cult of ignorance . . . nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge. -- Isaac Asimov
Psi Baba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2014, 11:28 AM   #14
wardenclyffe
Master Poster

The Swift blog keeps getting updated, but that does not always show up on the home page the way it used to, and when it does, it seems like they get the dates wrong so it's confusing.

Ward

ETA: I learned to check to see if Swift was updated from icerat upthread.

Last edited by wardenclyffe; 18th December 2014 at 12:02 PM.
wardenclyffe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2015, 02:55 PM   #15
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

I just looked at the JREF web site; how long has it looked like this? It looks like a bad Wordpress blog.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2015, 05:40 PM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

And last updated on December 7. The JREF has fallen on hard times, it seems.
Old 23rd January 2015, 05:41 PM   #17
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Is anyone surprised?
Old 23rd January 2015, 05:55 PM   #18
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

This page is more up to date. http://web.randi.org/swift. Though what other differences there are between the two pages I am not sure. Maybe they should be combined?

Apart from that the pages have been looking like that probably since September. This is the last page which is dated then http://web.randi.org/swift/previous/7. I make no judgement on how good these pages look. That is something I am not good at.

Edit. In case anyone is lurking in several months time here is the oldest article in that format http://web.randi.org/swift/still-ama...m-miami-herald. It is actually dated 8/30/14

Last edited by rjh01; 23rd January 2015 at 05:57 PM.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF