ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 14th July 2017, 04:29 AM   #81
Major Major
Thinker
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 212
Now it's getting political, with cries of persecution, secret meetings of True Believers who know The Truth, and all the other familiar appurtenances of conspiracism . . .

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/07...-gravity-hoax/

Major Major is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 05:23 AM   #82
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,897
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Now it's getting political, with cries of persecution, secret meetings of True Believers who know The Truth, and all the other familiar appurtenances of conspiracism . . .

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/07...-gravity-hoax/

We may be witnessing the birth of a new cult movement. And being laughed at when you say something stupid is not a form of persecution.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 09:11 AM   #83
CORed
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central City, Colorado, USA
Posts: 7,020
Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
It's caused by refraction, you silly .. light bends up on air density gradient. It also causes the sun to go red, cause blue light refracts more. Simply physics rly ;-)
Too bad that in the real world the density gradient actually bends light down, and that it's a pretty small effect. Flat earthers don't seem to understand that all this stuff can actually be measured, or they think all the measurements are lies in support of the massive conspiracy to hide the truth
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 05:38 PM   #84
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,583
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Now it's getting political, with cries of persecution, secret meetings of True Believers who know The Truth, and all the other familiar appurtenances of conspiracism . . .

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/07...-gravity-hoax/

Why is it that these kooks never seen to be able to understand anything, especially the 1st Amendment?

The 1st Amendment protects your speech and beliefs Government action, not from private citizens you idiots! If private citizens want to laugh in your face because you're a moron, that's their protected 1st amendment right!
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 14th July 2017 at 05:47 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2017, 11:26 AM   #85
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,398
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Now it's getting political, with cries of persecution, secret meetings of True Believers who know The Truth, and all the other familiar appurtenances of conspiracism . . .

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/07...-gravity-hoax/

Hey, Flat-Earthers! This is why NASA is stealing your children and sending them to Mars! So they can see the global Earth and the global Mars for themselves. And when they return they can come back and make fun of their parents.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2017, 03:49 PM   #86
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 15,351
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Hey, Flat-Earthers! This is why NASA is stealing your children and sending them to Mars! So they can see the global Earth and the global Mars for themselves. And when they return they can come back and make fun of their parents.
Your ideas intrigue me. Do you have a newsletter or pamphlet to which I may subscribe?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 12:44 PM   #87
LongFuzzy
Thinker
 
LongFuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 176
How do the flat earthers' explain the 6 months of 'dark' and 6 months of 'light' at the poles?
LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 02:42 PM   #88
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,398
Originally Posted by LongFuzzy View Post
How do the flat earthers' explain the 6 months of 'dark' and 6 months of 'light' at the poles?
NASA Lies. Simple.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 01:45 AM   #89
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 1,588
Originally Posted by LongFuzzy View Post
How do the flat earthers' explain the 6 months of 'dark' and 6 months of 'light' at the poles?
I linked to a video upthread, in which they explain the differing lengths of day and night by stating that the sun changes its orbit every three months or so.
There was of course no explanation about how this happens, nor, also unsurprisingly, any experimental evidence to prove it.
It's almost as if it's not scientific at all......
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 04:07 AM   #90
threadworm
Graduate Poster
 
threadworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,463
There is another breed of Flathead that insists there is no period of permanent darkness in Antarctica, all videos and first hand accounts claiming that there is are false and no ordinary mortal can find out thanks to the permanent border force.

Meanwhile, someone's wedding night lasted a looooong time

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news...-knot-13314854
__________________
Facts are simple and facts are straight, facts are lazy and facts are late, facts don't come with points of view, facts don't do what I want them to.

**************************

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 06:36 PM   #91
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,583
Originally Posted by threadworm View Post
There is another breed of Flathead that insists there is no period of permanent darkness in Antarctica, all videos and first hand accounts claiming that there is are false and no ordinary mortal can find out thanks to the permanent border force.

Meanwhile, someone's wedding night lasted a looooong time

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news...-knot-13314854
Funnily enough being from down this end of the planet, I actually know a number of people that have been to Antarctica, among them my Uncle (who was involved in the Erebus Crash body recovery) and a close friend who went down to study the dry valleys. Neither of them reported encountering this border force.

I am guess that they think this was faked too.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 03:18 PM   #92
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist
 
DGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West of Northshore MA
Posts: 24,148
I find this guy entertaining:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


I do hope some of the commentators are not serious and nerve actually bread..............

__________________
"Remember that the goal of conspiracy rhetoric is to bog down the discussion, not to make progress toward a solution" Jay Windley

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41

Last edited by DGM; 18th July 2017 at 03:22 PM.
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 05:58 PM   #93
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 12,010
Originally Posted by DGM View Post
I find this guy entertaining:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


I do hope some of the commentators are not serious and nerve actually bread..............

I do hope you meant "never actually bred"....
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 06:14 PM   #94
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist
 
DGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West of Northshore MA
Posts: 24,148
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I do hope you meant "never actually bred"....
........don't you just hate when you miss something this obvious after hitting post?
__________________
"Remember that the goal of conspiracy rhetoric is to bog down the discussion, not to make progress toward a solution" Jay Windley

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 06:17 PM   #95
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 12,010
Originally Posted by DGM View Post
........don't you just hate when you miss something this obvious after hitting post?
And speel chequer can't figure out theirs a problem?
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 06:47 PM   #96
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 63,855
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Now it's getting political, with cries of persecution, secret meetings of True Believers who know The Truth, and all the other familiar appurtenances of conspiracism . . .
Maybe we should just buy them a ticket on the Queen Mary II, a pair of binoculars, and let them sort it out.
__________________
"So let it be written. So let it be done."
Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 07:33 PM   #97
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10,670
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
That D. Marble guy tried the "vanishing point" apologetic recently, so I did the math to see just how far something 3000 miles above a flat plane would need to be to appear to be 0.5 of arc (about the angular size of the sun) above the horizon. It turned out to be 343,770 miles away from the observer. To appear 0.25 from the horizon it would have to recede to 687,540 miles. When I pointed out the miniscule angular size that a 26 mile diameter circle would have at those distances it was almost comical. It will likely come as no surprise that mathematics tend to make him rather upset.
It's a December day, and not one of you can prepare a counter-argument.
__________________
Credibility is not a boomerang. If you throw it away, it's not coming back.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 08:31 PM   #98
bknight
Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 151
Originally Posted by DGM View Post
I find this guy entertaining:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


I do hope some of the commentators are not serious and nerve actually bread..............

I don't find this entertaining at all. This does not show well for the level of education to younger people, even the "critical thinkers"
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 02:50 AM   #99
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 23,860
Originally Posted by DGM View Post
I do hope some of the commentators are not serious and nerve actually bread..............
Better to nerve actual bread than fake bread. Nerved bread goes really well with dicksed potatoes.

Dave
__________________
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 04:59 AM   #100
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing
 
Oystein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,262
Originally Posted by LongFuzzy View Post
How do the flat earthers' explain the 6 months of 'dark' and 6 months of 'light' at the poles?
Originally Posted by threadworm View Post
There is another breed of Flathead that insists there is no period of permanent darkness in Antarctica...
You don't even need the permanent darkness inside the polar circles. Just travel north and south and observe the lengths of day and night shifting exactly to what you'd expect from an inclined rotating earth circling a sun. I've not been in polar regions yet, but I've been to central Sweden near mid-summer, and the days were amazingly long. In one Nov/Dec vacation, I hopped from Germany to Vancouver to New Zealand to Hong Kong and back, and low and behold, there was season change, jet lag, and different lengths of days.

Or: Fly long distance from continent to continent, measure speed and time to determine distance, and then try to map it out on a flat map - doesn't work!
__________________
Thermodynamics hates conspiracy theorists. (Foster Zygote)
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 05:29 AM   #101
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 63,855
Or just buy a planet ticket. At 40,000 feet you can see the curvature slightly. Or, go on a boat and look at stuff drop below the horizon. Hell, there's even a test track in Germany that has a long enough straight section to see the effect.

The mere fact that you can travel from one place to the other in both directions should be enough.
__________________
"So let it be written. So let it be done."
Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 07:05 AM   #102
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,897
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Maybe we should just buy them a ticket on the Queen Mary II, a pair of binoculars, and let them sort it out.
I've asked them why it was so important to put the fire control systems on battleships as high up as possible in order to maximize the effective range of the guns. No response.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 08:27 AM   #103
bknight
Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 151
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
I've asked them why it was so important to put the fire control systems on battleships as high up as possible in order to maximize the effective range of the guns. No response.
That is, as you know, because the concept completely refutes the "Flat Earth" model.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 10:31 AM   #104
Imhotep
Student
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 36
Wondering what Flat Earthers think of the idea of a "Polar route"

Quote
A polar route is an aircraft route across the uninhabited polar ice cap regions. The term "polar route" was originally applied to great circle routes between Europe and the west coast of North America in the 1950s.

The Soviet pilot Valery Chkalov was the first to fly non-stop from Europe to the American Pacific Coast. His flight from Moscow, Soviet Union to Vancouver, Washington, United States, via the North Pole on a Tupolev ANT-25 single-engine plane (June 18–20, 1937) took 63 hours to complete. The distance covered was 8,811 kilometres (5,475 mi).

From Wikipedia
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 01:38 AM   #105
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 1,588
Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
Wondering what Flat Earthers think of the idea of a "Polar route"

Quote
A polar route is an aircraft route across the uninhabited polar ice cap regions. The term "polar route" was originally applied to great circle routes between Europe and the west coast of North America in the 1950s.

The Soviet pilot Valery Chkalov was the first to fly non-stop from Europe to the American Pacific Coast. His flight from Moscow, Soviet Union to Vancouver, Washington, United States, via the North Pole on a Tupolev ANT-25 single-engine plane (June 1820, 1937) took 63 hours to complete. The distance covered was 8,811 kilometres (5,475 mi).

From Wikipedia
This again would be a simple experiment to conduct, to prove the earth is flat. Calculate the distance between two points, as suggested by a flat earth map, and then fly from one to the other. If the distance is as predicted, voila, the flatness is fact!
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 06:42 AM   #106
Major Major
Thinker
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 212
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
This again would be a simple experiment to conduct, to prove the earth is flat. Calculate the distance between two points, as suggested by a flat earth map, and then fly from one to the other. If the distance is as predicted, voila, the flatness is fact!
Not just that. Take the known supplies of Antarctic traverses from Vivian Fuchs on, calculate the consumption rate, compare it to the required distance on a flat-earth map, and then wonder where they were getting the extra food and fuel and how they managed to hide the effort needed to set it up.

Major Major is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM   #107
JesseCuster
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 608
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
I came across D. Marble recently due to a debunk video that featured his spirit level "proof". He seems to have only recently discovered the flat-earth movement, and has made 45 videos on the subject in the last two months.

One of my favorites is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFDo75XeOL0
He proves that the moon is really close... because... something.
I can't even tell what he's arguing.

He can zoom in with his superzoom lens on trees 1.6 miles away. And then he can zoom in on the moon using the same superzoom lens. Therefore the moon is 1.6 miles away?

What?
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM   #108
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,897
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
I can't even tell what he's arguing.

He can zoom in with his superzoom lens on trees 1.6 miles away. And then he can zoom in on the moon using the same superzoom lens. Therefore the moon is 1.6 miles away?

What?
I've asked him point blank to explain what he thinks his video proves. Nothing but crickets.

I have noticed the he almost always responds when some other idiot sycophantically praises him, but he seems to be figuring out that attempts to defend his "arguments" generally lead to him cornering himself. The few times I've coaxed him into defending his arguments, or acknowledging mine, he's responded with infantile dismissals and ad hominems that telegraph his insecurity and frustration with a giant gong.

His entire collection of video posts is just one asinine claim after another.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM   #109
bknight
Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 151
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
I've asked him point blank to explain what he thinks his video proves. Nothing but crickets.

I have noticed the he almost always responds when some other idiot sycophantically praises him, but he seems to be figuring out that attempts to defend his "arguments" generally lead to him cornering himself. The few times I've coaxed him into defending his arguments, or acknowledging mine, he's responded with infantile dismissals and ad hominems that telegraph his insecurity and frustration with a giant gong.

His entire collection of video posts is just one asinine claim after another.
Another flathead that can't prove anything in reality, just in his mind. I love the last few sentences in the video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFDo75XeOL0
He thinks he gains some believability with them, hehe, just willfully ignorant.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM   #110
Major Major
Thinker
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 212
Originally Posted by bknight View Post
Another flathead that can't prove anything in reality, just in his mind. I love the last few sentences in the video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFDo75XeOL0
He thinks he gains some believability with them, hehe, just willfully ignorant.
At least the flatheads in Glinda of Oz (1920) had brains, though they carried them around in cans.

Major Major is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM   #111
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,583
Okay so I know the world is a globe, but I think I have found the absolute proof of it. A lot of math in this, but hey....

So back in the day I was into yachting quite a bit, and the biggest events were the Whitbread Round the World Races (this was before NZ was more involved in the America's Cup.)

In the 1989-90 Race, New Zealand had its first win, Steinlager II, under the skippering of Sir Peter Blake, and the following year under Grant Dalton came our second win with NZ Endeavour. Steinlager II was in fact the first boat to win every leg of the race, which made that win very momentous for the country, and as an island nation with sailing something of a past time for a lot of kiwis, rich and poor, these races were followed extremely closely.

So then what is my point, how does this disprove a flat earth. Well, Leg's 2, 3, and 4 of both these races were sailed from Punta del Este, Uruguay to Fremantle, Perth Australia, then to Auckland, New Zealand, and finally back to Punta del Este. Yes, they basically sailed a circle of the Southern Ocean at about 35 degrees South!

From this we can clearly prove or disprove a Flat Earth because the sailing distances for these three legs would depend entirely on the shape of the planet!

Taking each of these

Punta del Este is found at 34.9369S, 54.9281W placing it 8,643 miles from the North Pole.
Fremantle is found at 32.0569S, 115.8605E placing it 8,413 miles from the North Pole
Auckland is found at 36.8485S, 174.7633 E placing it 8,750 miles from the North Pole.

Thus to travel from one port to another around the Southern Ocean as claimed, the yachts would have had to travel in a circle with a radius of approximately 8,600 miles. This means we can work out how far they would have had to travel!

To find the circumference of a circle we use 2πr

so... 2 x π (3.1415....) x 8,600 = 54,047 miles!

But according to the Race Data these three legs are only a total of 16,744 miles! In fact the entire race is only 31,975 miles!

So if the Earth was flat, these three legs would have been three times as long as claimed, and 166% longer than the entire race was claimed to be!

But PW, I hear you saying... Surely it would be faster to travel in a straight line than a curve, and this would make the distance shorter.

Well yes it would, and using the Cosine Rule (a2 = b2 + c2 - 2ab.cosA) we can work this out.

Using the above city information we can work out that Punta del Este and Fremantle are 170.7886 apart. Fremantle and Auckland are 58.9028 apart, and Auckland and Punta del Este are 130.3086 apart. With their distances from the North Pole we can determine that in a straight line, the legs would have to be 17,001 miles, 8,443 miles, and 15,783 miles respectively, for a total of 41,227 miles!

There is another slight problem with this straight line thing... to sail in a straight line from Punta del Este to Fremantle to Auckland, and back to Punta del Este on a flat earth would require the following path....



As one can see, this would be a little problematic.

Finally, the Whitbread 60 class of yacht was at the time one of the fastest mono-hulled sailing vessels with speeds of around 10 knots at cruising. The record, set in the mid-nineties, was an average of just over 15.5 knots over a 24 hour period. Even at this speed the entire way, there is no way that any of the yachts could have completed the entire Flat Earth distance of 54,047 miles for just legs 2, 3, and 4 in the 120 days it took NZ Endeavour to complete the entire race, and of course that isn't counting that they still would have to complete the extra distance for legs, 1, 5 and 6 which we haven't calculated on top of that. The yachts are simply not fast enough to have completed the distances required by a flat Earth in the time that they did so.

These races, which are still going on under the new Volvo brand prove categorically that the Earth is not flat, but rather is a globe, it's the only way that they can possibly sail between points in the Southern Hemisphere fast enough.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; Yesterday at 09:12 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:54 AM   #112
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 1,588
Great post, PhantomWolf.
Unfortunately, I assume the response would be some kind of claim that the race was faked. These beliefs can only be sustiained by people who never travel, and possibly who never go outside.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:53 AM   #113
frenat
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 478
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Great post, PhantomWolf.
Unfortunately, I assume the response would be some kind of claim that the race was faked. These beliefs can only be sustiained by people who never travel, and possibly who never go outside.
Faked or they ignore it completely. Of course from what I've seen on GLP and the Flat Earth Society forum it appears that well over 90% of flat earthers are trolls (including a significant amount of the moderators) with a majority of those left just unable to think critically.
__________________
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
-Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
-There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.
frenat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:07 AM   #114
cow_cat
Mr. Parodied
 
cow_cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Between the Sun and the Stars
Posts: 1,338
It's ironic - this thread is called "Experimental evidence for a flat earth". I count at least five definitive proofs which supply experimental evidence for a round (spheroid) earth. These can be independently verified with very little effort or with a small amount of honest inquiry, and can only be dismissed if you metaphorically stick your fingers in your ears and shout "LALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!"

Even if some of the flat-earthers are "trolling", they are functionally no different from genuine idiots. Therefore I will simply avoid complication and assume they are all idiots, "trolls" or not.
__________________
Now that is Scientific Fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is Scientific Fact.
-'Dr' Neil Fox, speaking on brasseye

Used to have another username, but I hated it.
cow_cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:14 AM   #115
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,583
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Great post, PhantomWolf.
Unfortunately, I assume the response would be some kind of claim that the race was faked. These beliefs can only be sustiained by people who never travel, and possibly who never go outside.
I am sure that they will, though the funny thing is that 1989-90 was the first time that the yachts actually had camera's onboard and were able to broadcast to the world was was happening as it was happening. There were daily updates and footage of the race from the water even in the southern oceans. As they came near to land these broadcasts were often played live on TV as the boats raced neck and neck towards the finish line of each leg.

There is even a major documentary about the race if you have a couple of hours to spare.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


Of course for the Flat Earthers it is just as easy to ignore it all.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:18 AM   #116
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 1,588
Originally Posted by cow_cat View Post
It's ironic - this thread is called "Experimental evidence for a flat earth". I count at least five definitive proofs which supply experimental evidence for a round (spheroid) earth. These can be independently verified with very little effort or with a small amount of honest inquiry, and can only be dismissed if you metaphorically stick your fingers in your ears and shout "LALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!"

Even if some of the flat-earthers are "trolling", they are functionally no different from genuine idiots. Therefore I will simply avoid complication and assume they are all idiots, "trolls" or not.
I started the thread in response to thewholesoul's insistence that only experimental (i.e. not observational) evidence was acceptable to prove the earth was spheroid.
I wanted to see what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot- to see if he/she had any experimental evidence of their own that would satisfy this demand.
Interestingly enough, thewholesoul never once posted in the thread, and neither did Daniel, who also popped up to defend the flat earth idea. What I can't decide, though, is whether this makes them bridge-dwellers, who were just winding us up and were never really serious, or whether they simply couldn't deal with the tables being turned on them in this way. They both seem to have run away, at least for the time being, so I guess there's no way to know.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:19 AM   #117
cow_cat
Mr. Parodied
 
cow_cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Between the Sun and the Stars
Posts: 1,338
Well, he/she/it has the experimental evidence that he/she/it demands, and the silence relating to the OP's question is deafening.

In my opinion, bridge dwellers or genuine morons is a distinction without a difference. There's no way to tell which is which, so I have stopped treating the two groups differently. After an initial attempt to educate, they are nothing but contemptuous.
__________________
Now that is Scientific Fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is Scientific Fact.
-'Dr' Neil Fox, speaking on brasseye

Used to have another username, but I hated it.
cow_cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:56 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.