IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags william rodriguez , james randi , 911 conspiracy theory

Old 4th December 2006, 11:45 AM   #1
~enigma~
Banned

William "Roudy" Rodriguez

Supposedly when Rodriguez was young (in Puerto Rico) he worked for James Randi. Can anybody verify this. Anyway, how does a man that was helping expose fraud and pseudoscience get taken in by the woowoos?
~enigma~ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2006, 11:49 AM   #2
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

I've seen him quoted that he admires Randi. Where'd you see that he worked for him?
Old 4th December 2006, 12:22 PM   #3
~enigma~
Banned

Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
I've seen him quoted that he admires Randi. Where'd you see that he worked for him?
I pulled up wikipedia and I have seen it mentioned in some other articles. If it is true, I neither understand it nor do I understand why the woowoos being so quick to scream disinfo agent use his testimony although it clearly has changed after he spoke to Chris Bollyn.
~enigma~ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2006, 12:50 PM   #4
chipmunk stew
Philosopher

This one says he met Randi, but not that he worked for him:
http://nymag.com/news/features/16464/index5.html
Quote:
As a boy shining shoes in Puerto Rico, William dreamed of being wrapped in a straitjacket and suspended upside down from a flaming rope. “That was going to be my big trick. It was my goal to become a magician, the greatest illusionist in the Caribbean basin.”

Later, Rodriguez met James Randi, a.k.a. the Amazing Randi, the magician best known as a debunker of supernatural claims, offering the One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge to anyone able to demonstrate verifiable evidence of psychic powers.

“Randi was my mentor,” said William. “I admired him for his tricks but also because he never said they were anything but tricks. He separated the truth from the phony.”

William moved to New York, but beyond some gigs at Mostly Magic, his career did not take off. He started working for a cleaning company in the World Trade Center. He’d stay there twenty years.
But this one says Randi hired him as an assistant:
http://www.buffalobeast.com/89/wellen89.htm
Quote:
When William Rodriguez was a young man, the Amazing Randi hired him as an assistant--but not for help with his magic act. Randi enlisted Roudy, the aspiring magician's stage name in his native Puerto Rico, in his cause: exposing faith healers and psychics. Rodriguez, as Benjamin Smith explained in a New York Sun article, proved adroit at insinuating himself into the good graces of Randi's targets and eliciting incriminating information.
chipmunk stew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2006, 01:05 PM   #5
Belz...
Fiend God

Subforum: conspiracy theories.

Somebody move this.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2006, 01:41 PM   #6
Hutch
A broken man on a Halifax pier, the last of Barrett's Privateers

Dropped a PM to Linda so that Mr. Randi is aware of this thread. he doesn't post in the Forums very often, but since this concerns him personally and is attributed to him, I thought he should be aware of it.

We shall see...
Old 4th December 2006, 01:44 PM   #7
Overman
Master Poster

hmmmmm....
Overman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2006, 03:49 PM   #8
Randi
"Amazing"
Founder

Yes, I knew Willy Rodriguez well for many years. He worked many shows with me, but there was never an employer/employee relationship. We have visited often since, and we met recently in NYC. He has now joined the WTC conspiracy crowd, and we disagree on his observations and his conclusions on that matter. I value Willy as a good friend.
Randi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2006, 04:08 PM   #9
JAStewart
Graduate Poster
Tagger

I think William's accent is amazing, like on his interview talking about WTC when he says "Exploshon". I love it!

Argumentum ad YouTubeum - sts60
JAStewart is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2006, 04:11 PM   #10
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

Why did Williams career as a magican end
and is the "The Keymaster"-Movie released?

Last edited by Oliver; 4th December 2006 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Oliver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2006, 04:48 PM   #11
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Having talked with William Rodriguez, I just thought I'd ad that I found him to be very likeable and very sincere. While I disagree with him about one issue related to 9/11, it's important to remember that he is one of that day's heroes, and his work with 9/11 families deserves much praise.
Old 4th December 2006, 06:00 PM   #12
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

I´m listening to an interview with William on BBC-Bristol:
http://911truthbristol.com/BBC%20Bri...0Rodriguez.mp3

Could it be that the planes collision with the elevator cables
and equipment could cause "an explosion on the mechanical
rooms" below the B1 Level were William was at this time?
Oliver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2006, 10:32 PM   #13
~enigma~
Banned

Originally Posted by Randi View Post
Yes, I knew Willy Rodriguez well for many years. He worked many shows with me, but there was never an employer/employee relationship. We have visited often since, and we met recently in NYC. He has now joined the WTC conspiracy crowd, and we disagree on his observations and his conclusions on that matter. I value Willy as a good friend.
Thank you for your answer Sir Amazing
Old 4th December 2006, 10:34 PM   #14
~enigma~
Banned

Having talked with William Rodriguez, I just thought I'd ad that I found him to be very likeable and very sincere. While I disagree with him about one issue related to 9/11, it's important to remember that he is one of that day's heroes, and his work with 9/11 families deserves much praise.
Was questioning because I heard conflicting accounts.
Old 5th December 2006, 06:41 AM   #15
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
I´m listening to an interview with William on BBC-Bristol:
http://911truthbristol.com/BBC%20Bri...0Rodriguez.mp3

Could it be that the planes collision with the elevator cables
and equipment could cause "an explosion on the mechanical
rooms" below the B1 Level were William was at this time?
Oliver, remember we went through this with your very first posts here? C'mon man. http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1&postcount=40
Old 5th December 2006, 06:49 AM   #16
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Oliver, remember we went through this with your very first posts here? C'mon man. http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1&postcount=40

It scares me how quickly you can bring this stuff up.

I laugh at suggestions you're a government shill, but if someone suggested you were a computer program I might consider it.

-Gumboot

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2006, 07:07 AM   #17
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Originally Posted by gumboot View Post
It scares me how quickly you can bring this stuff up.

I laugh at suggestions you're a government shill, but if someone suggested you were a computer program I might consider it.

-Gumboot
I am overpriced, obsolete, and largely incompatible with other systems.
Old 5th December 2006, 07:26 AM   #18
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

I read the post again but there is no mention from the two
explosions beside Williams version of the story. My problem is
if William is lying about the noises, why does he spread this
story nevertheless. I don´t see a gain for him or anyone else
if there are no political agendas of him involved.

Anyway: It´s not very important at all - just tried to find an
easy explanation for the "two noises" whenever a Troofer
confronts me with Williams story.
Old 5th December 2006, 07:35 AM   #19
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

explosions beside Williams version of the story. My problem is
if William is lying about the noises, why does he spread this
story nevertheless. I don´t see a gain for him or anyone else
if there are no political agendas of him involved.

I think he genuinely believes his current account of events. Memory is not like digital data. It changes over time. People incorporate new data into their old memories, even if that data contradicts their initial memory.

A perfect example is me and subtitled films. Quite often I will see a foreign film, with subtitles, but will distinctly remember the people on screen speaking english. That is because my brain changes my memory.

For what ever reason he decided 9/11 was an inside job, and has bought into the troofer version of events. His mind has automatically adjusted his memory of events to reflect this new data. I doubt he's even aware he actually did this.

It is worth noting that the stuff I am describing is not only well documented, but very common.

-Gumboot

gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2006, 07:54 AM   #20
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

I think he genuinely believes his current account of events. Memory is not like digital data. It changes over time. People incorporate new data into their old memories, even if that data contradicts their initial memory.

A perfect example is me and subtitled films. Quite often I will see a foreign film, with subtitles, but will distinctly remember the people on screen speaking english. That is because my brain changes my memory.

For what ever reason he decided 9/11 was an inside job, and has bought into the troofer version of events. His mind has automatically adjusted his memory of events to reflect this new data. I doubt he's even aware he actually did this.

It is worth noting that the stuff I am describing is not only well documented, but very common.

-Gumboot
I know what you mean because i´ve read about
this psychological fallacy. The problem i see is
that he changed the story - which indicates that
he is aware of his lack to remember the events
for certain...
Old 5th December 2006, 08:08 AM   #21
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

I know what you mean because i´ve read about
this psychological fallacy. The problem i see is
that he changed the story - which indicates that
he is aware of his lack to remember the events
for certain...

I dunno. Has anyone actually directly confronted him with his original account?

Gravy?

-Gumboot

Old 5th December 2006, 08:20 AM   #22
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

I dunno. Has anyone actually directly confronted him with his original account?

Gravy?

-Gumboot
When I spoke to him I didn't push for clarification (it was at Ground Zero on September 9). He described it to me as he usually does: a loud noise from below followed immediately by one from above. He acknowledges the kerosene smell immediately after, but steadfastly believes there was a bomb involved. Felipe David, the badly burned man he helped, was burned by the fireball coming from the freight elevator shaft, which is consistent with all the other stories.

Last edited by Gravy; 5th December 2006 at 08:22 AM.
Gravy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2006, 09:23 AM   #23
einsteen

When did he see it ? Was it after the impact or just before the gobal collapse ?
einsteen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2006, 09:28 AM   #24
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Originally Posted by einsteen View Post
When did he see it ? Was it after the impact or just before the gobal collapse ?
Rodriguez is describing the same jet fuel explosion in the elevator shafts that everyone else describes. See my link above. He just thinks it was caused by a bomb.
Old 5th December 2006, 05:51 PM   #25
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

Rodriguez is describing the same jet fuel explosion in the elevator shafts that everyone else describes. See my link above. He just thinks it was caused by a bomb.
Even if i don´t buy the bomb thing anymore - it could
be true that a generator blew up because the impact.
In this case William could be right with the first explosion
from below - even if he completely misinterpreted the
source.

OR he is intentionally lying and therefore trying his best
to bring himself into trouble. But this idea does not sound
logical at all.
Old 5th December 2006, 05:53 PM   #26
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Even if i don´t buy the bomb thing anymore - it could
be true that a generator blew up because the impact.
In this case William could be right with the first explosion
from below - even if he completely misinterpreted the
source.

OR he is intentionally lying and therefore trying his best
to bring himself into trouble. But this idea does not sound
logical at all.

The elevator explosions occured throughout the building, from the sub-basements to the top floors.

-Gumboot

Old 5th December 2006, 06:09 PM   #27
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

The elevator explosions occured throughout the building, from the sub-basements to the top floors.

-Gumboot
I know that, too. But it wouldn´t explain why William
heard the noise from the bottom and >seconds< later
from the top. Off course if he does not lie.
Old 5th December 2006, 07:02 PM   #28
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

I know that, too. But it wouldn´t explain why William
heard the noise from the bottom and >seconds< later
from the top. Off course if he does not lie.
Remember that Rodriguez said he heard the second noise immediately after the first. In one account he says it was before he could finish his thought. In another account he snaps his fingers to indicate that one noise immediately followed the other. He has described the interval as a "second or two." Sound travels much faster through steel than through air, and would have reached the B-1 level about 1.1 seconds faster through the building's structure than through the air. If we were to believe that the first noise he heard was a bomb, then when did he hear the elevator shaft explosion that everyone else heard and that burned Felipe David? Rodriguez never describes the elevator shaft explosion, although it was very obvious to everyone who was near the elevators. I believe that all the evidence is consistent with him hearing the jet fuel explosion and mistaking it for a bomb: an understandable mistake. Remember that his account is based only on hearing the noise, and that he did smell the same jet fuel as did everyone else.
Old 5th December 2006, 07:32 PM   #29
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

Remember that Rodriguez said he heard the second noise immediately after the first. In one account he says it was before he could finish his thought. In another account he snaps his fingers to indicate that one noise immediately followed the other. He has described the interval as a "second or two." Sound travels much faster through steel than through air, and would have reached the B-1 level about 1.1 seconds faster through the building's structure than through the air. If we were to believe that the first noise he heard was a bomb, then when did he hear the elevator shaft explosion that everyone else heard and that burned Felipe David? Rodriguez never describes the elevator shaft explosion, although it was very obvious to everyone who was near the elevators. I believe that all the evidence is consistent with him hearing the jet fuel explosion and mistaking it for a bomb: an understandable mistake. Remember that his account is based only on hearing the noise, and that he did smell the same jet fuel as did everyone else.
For me this also sounds like the most plausible explanation.
Why not for him? This is the point i try to understand - but
i guess we will never know until he explains it himself.

I will send him a letter and ask him if he want to join the
discussion about him.
Old 7th December 2006, 03:53 AM   #30
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

Mr. Rodriguez relplied to my Email asking to clearify the confusion in this thread:

Originally Posted by William Rodriguez
I am on a tour through England. I read the thread and to clarify something I said many times and many times have been changed by the press and everyone involved is that I did experience an explosion before the plane hit. I am not an expert in explosives and do not say it is a bomb like everyone has quoted me. I have many witnesses that experienced the same thing , not only Mr. Felipe David but others as well. They were available to the 9/11 Commission and never called. I was part from the very begining for the creation of this Commission and we were not treated well at all. The families created a Family Steering Committee to post questions and we were shunned. I disagree with James Randi that I joined the Conspiracy nuts. I personally told him that I did not want to be used by them or anybody else but was steadfastly expressing the truth of what happened that day. My testimony was even changed by CNN written editorial that does not match my actual interview video with them. My story has not changed, and though I respect Randi, I totally disagree with him on that point. I am an eyewitness and my testimony is used in court. I experienced the event. I testified about it. I agree that there are many conspiracy theories out there. But I am basing my mission on my experience, not speculation. Within the first 3 months after I was pulled from the rubble I appeared on close to 14 television specials in spanish talking about the same thing. At that time I did not know about any conspiracy or questioning the goverment. I did not even know of any 9/11 truth movement undergroung.

I do not have anything to gain. Economically, I was even homeless and not even my closest friends were there to give me a hand. Fame? definitely not, I already made history for my work "after" the event, helping the families and survivors, I worked on countless of programs for my community including the undocumented and my fight for the first responders that are dying because of "Ground Zero syndrome" the health problems after the collapse of the towers. On this issue we were told 5 years ago that we were "crazy" to think that the goverment would allow a health catastrophe like this to happen. Years later and through coourt papers of a suit against the EPA , we found out not only that they knew, but the allow it as well. And now 23 first responders have died and countless others are sick. So sorry if I do not take the goverment explanations at full face.
Last, funny everybody brings the position that the ball of fire went down the center elevator shaft and exploded in the basement, since the actual elevator operator of the 50A car is alive and after braking both ankles did not get burned by any of this. He should have been burned alive. He was never called to testify.

William Rodriguez
Old 7th December 2006, 06:21 AM   #31
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Mr. Rodriguez relplied to my Email asking to clearify the confusion in this thread:

Thank you for that Oliver.

I understand that you were confused, but I don't think all of us were. The letter posted reflects precisely the experience that I thought he had.

It is only on the matter of the "Fireball down elevator shafts" that I do not agree with him. Many people inside elevators were not burned, and I see no reason that they would necessarily, being inside a sealed room.

However countless witness testimony confirms that jet fuel DID spill down elevator shafts, and this fuel DID ignite, causing damage to people and property on a wide range of floors from basement level to upper levels.

And I will reiterate again, the type of injuries Mr Rodriguez described are distinct and unique injuries which as specifically a result of a fuel air explosion, as caused by exploding jet fuel. There is no other explanation for the flash burns he described.

-Gumboot

Old 8th December 2006, 06:19 AM   #32
IronSnot
Scholar

Originally Posted by Randi View Post
I value Willy as a good friend.
Tell me then does he have a few degrees as he said he did on his dating site, and if so why was he working as a janitor?
IronSnot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2006, 06:22 AM   #33
IronSnot
Scholar

Hey Gumboot (Kia ora)

And I will reiterate again, the type of injuries Mr Rodriguez described are distinct and unique injuries which as specifically a result of a fuel air explosion, as caused by exploding jet fuel. There is no other explanation for the flash burns he described.

-Gumboot
Expert, texpert choking smokers
don't you think the joker laughs at you
See how they smile like pigs in a sty
See how they snide
I'm crying
IronSnot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2006, 06:29 AM   #34
Bell
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by IronSnot View Post
Tell me then does he have a few degrees as he said he did on his dating site, and if so why was he working as a janitor?
How does this relate, Snothead?
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2006, 07:37 AM   #35
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Thanks for doing that, Oliver. I owe Mr. Rodriguez an apology for putting words in his mouth. I've written here that he has said he thinks there was a bomb in the basement. As he said in his email, he has only spoken of an explosion. I've checked the different quotes I have from him, and none mention a bomb.
Old 9th December 2006, 04:35 AM   #36
IronSnot
Scholar

Originally Posted by Bell View Post
How does this relate, Snothead?
I don't know yet Bell. Be patient.

Randyyyyyyyyyyy.
Old 9th December 2006, 04:49 AM   #37
uk_dave
Philosopher

Fairy snuff
uk_dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2006, 05:05 AM   #38
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Well, this complicates things a bit.

William Rodriguez: "I know there were explosives placed below the trade center. I helped a man to safety who is living proof, living proof the government story is a lie and a cover-up.” http://www.arcticbeacon.com/24-Jun-2005.html

Perhaps he was misquoted, as he suggests above. I don't think that Greg Szymanski is considered the paragon of journalism. I'll email William for further clarification.

I had forgotten that William also believes he had seen one of the hijackers, Mohand Al-Shehri at the WTC in June of 2001. That's also recounted in the story linked above.
Old 12th December 2006, 07:18 PM   #39
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Well, this complicates things a bit.

William Rodriguez: "I know there were explosives placed below the trade center. I helped a man to safety who is living proof, living proof the government story is a lie and a cover-up.” http://www.arcticbeacon.com/24-Jun-2005.html

UGH!

This whole thing annoys me. They're talking about Felipe David. Here's what the article says:

Quote:
It's a story about 14 people who felt and heard the same explosion and even saw Rodriguez, moments after the airplane hit, take David to safety, after he was burnt so bad from the basement explosion flesh was hanging from his face and both arms.
As I've said many times, these are flash burns. They are the product of a fuel explosion. High explosives do not cause flash burns. Felipe David is living proof that Jet-A fuel spilled down elevator shafts.

Want the final evidence? Where does the article say he received these wounds?

Quote:
David had been in front of a nearby freight elevator on sub-level 1 about 400 feet from the office when fire burst out of the elevator shaft, causing his injuries.
High explosive don't cause burn damage. They cause blast damage from over-pressure.

-Gumboot

Old 15th December 2006, 06:01 PM   #40
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

UGH!

This whole thing annoys me. They're talking about Felipe David. Here's what the article says:

As I've said many times, these are flash burns. They are the product of a fuel explosion. High explosives do not cause flash burns. Felipe David is living proof that Jet-A fuel spilled down elevator shafts.

Want the final evidence? Where does the article say he received these wounds?

High explosive don't cause burn damage. They cause blast damage from over-pressure.

-Gumboot
I´m not sure but i think it may be possible that some
generator exploded because the plane impact PLUS the
Jet-Fuel issue. At least it would explain the different sounds
much better than some kind of echo.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories