ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th April 2018, 05:58 AM   #41
fuelair
Suspended

Also a thing here , we have a don't give real names rule (not including well known public figures).
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2018, 08:26 AM   #42
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by OToTheT View Post
This could branch off into other things, such as the debunking of individual things on the list or a thread about crazy things that others near you believe in.
Trust me, we have already debunked somewhere in these threads (use search by typing in the topic you wish to debunk and read the posts in the thread)all the topics you list and more. We have it covered!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2018, 08:34 AM   #43
fuelair
Suspended

And possibly contact a Mod to fix your title:

Personal somone of mine and what he belives in ( the two error words are marked...)......
Old 25th April 2018, 08:37 AM   #44
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Tell him you are sick of his schtick, and to meet you at the pub when his mental age matches his physical age. If he continues or gets worse, have him committed.
It's a slick sick schtick!!
Old 25th April 2018, 09:02 AM   #45
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

You almost make it sound like you believe Hermione isn't real ..
Dr.Sid is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2018, 09:15 AM   #46
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
You almost make it sound like you believe Hermione isn't real ..

She’s an actress now using a different name; clever disguise! But being muggle-born, she is comfortable in our world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25th April 2018, 12:33 PM   #47
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
She’s an actress now using a different name; clever disguise! But being muggle-born, she is comfortable in our world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. Like who mades up stuff like that, right ?
Dr.Sid is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2018, 12:55 PM   #48
OToTheT
New Blood

I have a better version of my original post on a text file, but I'm not allowed to edit it (the post) for some odd reason. Maybe I cant edit old posts?

Last edited by OToTheT; 25th April 2018 at 02:46 PM.
OToTheT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2018, 01:30 PM   #49
carlitos
"más divertido"

You can't edit a text file? That is odd.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2018, 11:33 PM   #50
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
You can't edit a text file? That is odd.
He's saying he can't edit the OP (I think he edited the post to clarify it after your post). Which he can't, of course, the 2 hour edit window closed days ago.

Last edited by Pixel42; 25th April 2018 at 11:34 PM.
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2018, 01:30 PM   #51
OToTheT
New Blood

Maybe necroing this thread, but as of now, I'm done with him. I'm not even legally allowed to talk to him anymore. I've heard he has a sub-optimal IQ. Considering his lack of logical reasoning and critical thinking, not metaion his downright ignorance of anything, I could really infer that.

Wither that was caused by ASD or his supreme religious indoctrination, is still up the air for me although It's very much likely both. To quote myself:

Quote:
The ultimate thing is that this the result of scientific illiteracy, desperation, and childhood indoctrination. This is where they lead. Combine that with his auto-infantilization and his inability to distinguish reality from fiction, and visa versa, you get a deadly combination ignorance, arrogance, Dunn-Kruger, and delusion. That's the target of this thread.
So yeah, this is it.
OToTheT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2018, 02:06 PM   #52
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

You're not legally allowed to talk to him! Has someone taking out a restraining order on you?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2018, 02:17 PM   #53
OToTheT
New Blood

Not yet at least. 3 days of school suspension, with the possibility of jail time if I continue.

Last edited by OToTheT; 1st May 2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 1st May 2018, 10:38 PM   #54
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

OK, you may want to start a little introspection around this matter. Is it healthy for you to be obsessing about someone else like this?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2018, 04:09 AM   #55
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Not yet at least. 3 days of school suspension, with the possibility of jail time if I continue.
This is not a normal or desirable result of social interaction. Your behavior towards this person must be substantially outside the norm, in order for these things to be happening.

You have been harassing them, or stalking them, or otherwise willfully ignoring clear requests to leave them alone. This development is a much more serious concern than their beliefs.

Please take some time to carefully consider the choices you made that led you to this point.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 01:56 AM   #56
Marasmusine
Scholar

I once knew someone who had decided that the multiverse hypothesis was true, that all possibilities were happening "out there", and so all works of fiction were actually real in some parallel universe. So he would talk about fictional characters as though they were real.

He also wouldn't write any fiction himself that would include a character getting hurt, as though that would conjure it into existence in the multiverse and cause real harm. (Even though, if his "everything exists in the multiverse" hypothesis is correct, it would be happening anyway, and there would be universes in which he does write it up as fiction) I guess sympathetic magic something something.

I'm not criticizing him, it would seem to be a harmless belief? And it shows he has empathy. He was a nice guy.
Marasmusine is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 09:38 AM   #57
Pope130
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Marasmusine View Post
I once knew someone who had decided that the multiverse hypothesis was true, that all possibilities were happening "out there", and so all works of fiction were actually real in some parallel universe. So he would talk about fictional characters as though they were real.

He also wouldn't write any fiction himself that would include a character getting hurt, as though that would conjure it into existence in the multiverse and cause real harm. (Even though, if his "everything exists in the multiverse" hypothesis is correct, it would be happening anyway, and there would be universes in which he does write it up as fiction) I guess sympathetic magic something something.

I'm not criticizing him, it would seem to be a harmless belief? And it shows he has empathy. He was a nice guy.
Clearly a fan of Heinlein's later work. He goes into this notion in "Number of the Beast" and "The Cat Who walks Through Walls".
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2018, 08:19 PM   #58
OToTheT
New Blood

Maybe necroing this thread, but I have a new list of what he believes here:
https://pastebin.com/raw/Ez1RBgpL
What Pazuzu The Unbelievable believes is real:
That he’s special

Dragons

Magic

Harry Potter

Ghosts

Elvis never died/faked his death

Michael Jackson faked his death

Non-avian dinosaurs never went extinct and that birds are not dinosaurs

Superheroes and that he is one

Spells and he can cast them

Cruses and he can place them on others

Transformation; he thinks he can transform into, say a T-rex, velociraptor, etc

Power Rangers and that he is one

Half human, half alien beings and he's one of them; "I'm not from this world."

Were-Animals and that he can transform into one, such as a werewolf

Human Genetic Modification

Spirit Animals, such as the spirit of the T-rex, wolf, panther, etc

Super Intelligence; "I'm smarter than you humans"

Super Strength; "I'm stronger than you" (All without proof or evidence of any kind)

Skylanders

Monsters

An afterlife

That he is sent from God

That atheists just hate god, are jealous of god, his creation, etc

That atheists are bad people and they can’t be good (Thinks it’s a lie.)

Belief is equal to knowledge

Everything he believes in is not a hoax (Special pleading)

Demons and that he will fight them

Angels

Digimon; "Respect my Digimon!"

Pokemon

Dimensional Travel and Dimensions

Time Travel

Doctor Who; he believes in him, he thinks he’s a real person and has seen him since early childhood.
Not to mention he thinks he saw my future. It's full of hate, apparently.
Also thinks I need to believe in him.

Immortality

Dimensional Agelessness; he only ages in this one, he says

Dimensional Forms and that this one is just his "earth form" or whatever

Potions

Apocalypse of mankind; zombie ones, mostly. I hear him talking about it on the bus with his friend.
That and his comments about it, such as “There is no hope for you humans."
and "The world will end in August 2018."

Absolute power; "I can do anything I want."

Alchemy

Immortal Science

Creationism; "Who created the world? God did." (Despite the fact that it's not a who, but a
what.)

That you need to believe in these things:
God; “He knows you.” “He loves you.”
Superheros
Doctor Who; “He knows your future.”

What Pazuzu does to dismiss questions for proof or evidence of his position:*
Shifts burdens of proof; "That's what you need to find out."

Ad hoc; "It's all top secret." "I can't because of my x or y law." "Why do you need evidence?"

What Pazuzu does not believe in:
Human Science; Biology, Geology, actual science

Human Logic

Human Knowledge

Human Anything; anything that contradicts his worldview is "human"

No really. Pazuzu is not a Poe. He is serious about these things.

All because of hope, emotions, etc. Not good reasons for anyone to believe in anything at all,
as they are not objective what so ever.

I guess he was really indoctrinated. I bet he didn’t even learn what logic, science is,
let alone to tolerate people who aren’t like him. He’s the son of a pastor,
specifically the one from the Wesleyan church in Liberty Center and even when to the
Creation Museum in Cincinnati. So yes, he’s a Christian.

Also, a lot of petty insults, such as “you know nothing about X” or making stupid faces or
movements when I was asking him questions. He has a brother. I don’t really know if he
believes in a hell, but his brother definitely does. Both of them have ASD
(Autism Spectrum Disorder).

Not that excuses him or others from believing improbable claims on insufficient evidence.
After all, the person that typed this post is on the spectrum and he even has friends and
a girlfriend. She also has ASD and to is a Christian. Her name is Lowey. He also has a friend
called CamCam. He’s a dick; he told me STFU many times during my questions (because he said so),
he shoves Pazuzu away from me and even flipped me off. For no good reason. I’m a high schooler by the way.

Evidence: Factual circumstances which are accounted for, or supported by,
only one available explanation over any other.

Why is this so important? Because we don’t want to be fooled.
We want to make sure that the thing being claimed isn’t just made up.
In short, we want to make sure that it is real and that’s true.
Seemingly, not everyone seems to share this view.
Some people, especially religious and paranormal or kooky believers (such as the Whoers),
think that evidence is not even required in their epistemology or belief systems.
They tell me “Why do I need evidence?” “I don’t need evidence.” “Why is it so needed?”
Apparently, they don’t need it but others do (special pledging),
think that’s it’s not required for beliefs that make empirical claims or are unaware of how it works
(ignorance of basic empirical epistemology, let alone science or skepticism).
The more professional ones are often dishonest and lean towards the latter than the former.
The ones I usually talk about are the uninformed, the misinformed ones, which leans towards
the lack of scientific education.
Old 22nd May 2018, 10:07 PM   #59
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Sounds like my brother-in-law, whose belief in anything was inversely proportional to the amount of evidence for it. So he denied evolution, for example, whilst believing every crackpot conspiracy theory there is. He was convinced there were aliens living amongst us and that we were in the end times, yet denied the link between smoking and cancer - I asked him to go outside to smoke when he and my sister came to stay, and the next time they came he brought an article from a tabloid newspaper by one of the Heartland Institute's paid shills claiming "the link isn't proven". He died of panceatic cancer at the age of 59.
Old 22nd May 2018, 10:53 PM   #60
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Maybe necroing this thread, but I have a new list of what he believes here:
https://pastebin.com/raw/Ez1RBgpL
What Pazuzu The Unbelievable believes is real:
That he’s special

Dragons

Magic

Harry Potter

Ghosts

Elvis never died/faked his death

Michael Jackson faked his death

Non-avian dinosaurs never went extinct and that birds are not dinosaurs

Superheroes and that he is one

Spells and he can cast them

Cruses and he can place them on others

Transformation; he thinks he can transform into, say a T-rex, velociraptor, etc

Power Rangers and that he is one

Half human, half alien beings and he's one of them; "I'm not from this world."

Were-Animals and that he can transform into one, such as a werewolf

Human Genetic Modification

Spirit Animals, such as the spirit of the T-rex, wolf, panther, etc

Super Intelligence; "I'm smarter than you humans"

Super Strength; "I'm stronger than you" (All without proof or evidence of any kind)

Skylanders

Monsters

An afterlife

That he is sent from God

That atheists just hate god, are jealous of god, his creation, etc

That atheists are bad people and they can’t be good (Thinks it’s a lie.)

Belief is equal to knowledge

Everything he believes in is not a hoax (Special pleading)

Demons and that he will fight them

Angels

Digimon; "Respect my Digimon!"

Pokemon

Dimensional Travel and Dimensions

Time Travel

Doctor Who; he believes in him, he thinks he’s a real person and has seen him since early childhood.
Not to mention he thinks he saw my future. It's full of hate, apparently.
Also thinks I need to believe in him.

Immortality

Dimensional Agelessness; he only ages in this one, he says

Dimensional Forms and that this one is just his "earth form" or whatever

Potions

Apocalypse of mankind; zombie ones, mostly. I hear him talking about it on the bus with his friend.
That and his comments about it, such as “There is no hope for you humans."
and "The world will end in August 2018."

Absolute power; "I can do anything I want."

Alchemy

Immortal Science

Creationism; "Who created the world? God did." (Despite the fact that it's not a who, but a
what.)

That you need to believe in these things:
God; “He knows you.” “He loves you.”
Superheros
Doctor Who; “He knows your future.”

What Pazuzu does to dismiss questions for proof or evidence of his position:*
Shifts burdens of proof; "That's what you need to find out."

Ad hoc; "It's all top secret." "I can't because of my x or y law." "Why do you need evidence?"

What Pazuzu does not believe in:
Human Science; Biology, Geology, actual science

Human Logic

Human Knowledge

Human Anything; anything that contradicts his worldview is "human"

No really. Pazuzu is not a Poe. He is serious about these things.

All because of hope, emotions, etc. Not good reasons for anyone to believe in anything at all,
as they are not objective what so ever.

I guess he was really indoctrinated. I bet he didn’t even learn what logic, science is,
let alone to tolerate people who aren’t like him. He’s the son of a pastor,
specifically the one from the Wesleyan church in Liberty Center and even when to the
Creation Museum in Cincinnati. So yes, he’s a Christian.

Also, a lot of petty insults, such as “you know nothing about X” or making stupid faces or
movements when I was asking him questions. He has a brother. I don’t really know if he
believes in a hell, but his brother definitely does. Both of them have ASD
(Autism Spectrum Disorder).

Not that excuses him or others from believing improbable claims on insufficient evidence.
After all, the person that typed this post is on the spectrum and he even has friends and
a girlfriend. She also has ASD and to is a Christian. Her name is Lowey. He also has a friend
called CamCam. He’s a dick; he told me STFU many times during my questions (because he said so),
he shoves Pazuzu away from me and even flipped me off. For no good reason. I’m a high schooler by the way.

Evidence: Factual circumstances which are accounted for, or supported by,
only one available explanation over any other.

Why is this so important? Because we don’t want to be fooled.
We want to make sure that the thing being claimed isn’t just made up.
In short, we want to make sure that it is real and that’s true.
Seemingly, not everyone seems to share this view.
Some people, especially religious and paranormal or kooky believers (such as the Whoers),
think that evidence is not even required in their epistemology or belief systems.
They tell me “Why do I need evidence?” “I don’t need evidence.” “Why is it so needed?”
Apparently, they don’t need it but others do (special pledging),
think that’s it’s not required for beliefs that make empirical claims or are unaware of how it works
(ignorance of basic empirical epistemology, let alone science or skepticism).
The more professional ones are often dishonest and lean towards the latter than the former.
The ones I usually talk about are the uninformed, the misinformed ones, which leans towards
the lack of scientific education.
You appear to still be obsessing about him, despite previously saying "I'm done with him". You have been suspended from school and warned about a restraining order due to your behaviour towards this person, and that behaviour is induced by an unhealthy obsession about him. It is time for you to either put this person entirely out of your mind, or to seek help for your obsessive behaviour with a mental health professional.
Old 22nd May 2018, 11:56 PM   #61
Planigale
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Marasmusine View Post

Jasper fforde? Although bad things happen around Thursday Next.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2018, 12:06 AM   #62
Planigale
Master Poster

I think it is time to put this guy on ignore. Really actively ignore. To do this you need a new distraction, what is your best subject at school? What do you want to do in college?
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 04:16 AM   #63
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

We have plenty of guys that obsess over what bigfooter's believe. But we don't have restraining orders.

ASD people commonly have fantasy character fetishes and such. I know a couple of them.

Getting in their face and demanding a reconciliation with reality - however you have been pursuing this has been inappropriate.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal