ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags angels

Old 16th May 2018, 02:08 PM   #41
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Joking aside, does anyone else find it truly depressing that people over the age of about six who've presumably had the benefit of some kind of education, or at least contact with the real world outside of a cult, in the modern day, would look at that and believe it was photos of an angel?
It is quite saddening. I feel like we are failing these folks.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 03:21 PM   #42
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
It is quite saddening. I feel like we are failing these folks.
I agree.
Old 16th May 2018, 04:58 PM   #43
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
At least it's not the weeping variety.

Probably.
Just to be safe, don't blink. And remember, that which contains the image of an angel is itself an angel.

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Joking aside, does anyone else find it truly depressing that people over the age of about six who've presumably had the benefit of some kind of education, or at least contact with the real world outside of a cult, in the modern day, would look at that and believe it was photos of an angel?
Every single day. And this is only one of the smaller things. Every single day a couple of million people listen to Alex Jones.
Old 17th May 2018, 12:37 PM   #44
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

I noticed today that the guy who initially identified the moth as an angel is the fire chief. That's a bit worrying...
Old 19th May 2018, 01:11 AM   #45
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Chase?
i think calling Chevy a pinhead is a bit much.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2018, 01:43 AM   #46
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
i think calling Chevy a pinhead is a bit much.

I thought he was talking about the town in Maryland.

Probably fit lots of angels there.

If they could afford it.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2018, 06:24 AM   #47
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Those pikers in Michigan just get the dregs. Here in Vermont (AKA God's Country®) choirs of seraphim are a routine sight.

heavenly host.jpg

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2018, 04:31 PM   #48
EHocking
Philosopher

It looks more like a plague on all your houses.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2018, 04:34 PM   #49
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
It looks more like a plague on all your houses.

A "plague of seraphim"? Is that the correct collective noun?

Sounds good to me.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2018, 06:52 PM   #50
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I tried to ask one of them what noun of assemblage it preferred, but it was hard to pin down.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2018, 12:53 AM   #51
RationalVetMed
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Funny isn't it. Angels are invisible whenever they want, which is most of the time. Yet somehow they can't figure out CCTV. The morons.
Well, everyone is so well behaved in heaven they don't need CCTV so they're not used to it.

Anyway, it's clearly an angel, there can't possibly be any other explanation. Anyone who claims to see a moth is just seeing what they want to see, it's pareidolia, I mean, who ever heard of a moth fluttering around a car park at night, ridiculous. Definitely an angel, checking out the SUV. Probably looking for valuables on the back seat.

Niall

'No Way to Treat a Friend: Lifting the Lid on Complementary and Alternative Veterinary Medicine' book now available to order.
RationalVetMed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2018, 06:23 AM   #52
TX50
Graduate Poster

Maybe he's a lepidopterist and really meant Olceclostera angelica?
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 02:20 PM   #53
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

A local TV station where I live posted this on their FB page. (In this case, truly fake news.) I replied with a link to information about pareidolia.
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2018, 09:26 AM   #54
dlorde
Philosopher

I used to see hundreds of angels worshiping the light in my backyard, but these days I rarely see them - yet another sad example of global scepticism killing off supernatural species?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal