ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd April 2018, 06:21 AM   #41
Thermal
Illuminator

@Jodie, you said the first earring dropping made a noise loud enough to be heard. How large and heavy were these earrings? I don't think a stud would make enough noise to be heard at all, especially above conversation with restaurant background noise. So that first one would have to be pretty large. Huge and heavy, even. But a five-person search party didn't see it the first time?
Old 23rd April 2018, 08:46 AM   #42
xjx388
Philosopher

Clearly, some entity in the universe knew you suffered from migraines and decided to send you a signal: get a Daith piercing. So first they sent you a woman who had one. This sparked the requisite curiosity and to hammer the point home, they materialized cheap earrings and had them fall in your vicinity. They screwed up the first one ("Damn it! No one saw that one!") but the second one hit your friend Becky. Message received. I'd be willing to bet that for the rest of the day, earrings and piercings were especially noticeable to you; this was the entity's way of keeping your mind on the subject.

A few unresolved questions: If the entity is capable of influencing minds and materializing earrings, why not directly influence your mind and/or materialize an earring directly in front of you? Indeed, why not simply create a direct message, like a mental message or a bunch of earrings arranged to spell out: "Jodie, get Daith Piercing." Seems to me like the vague messages these entities send are pretty worthless.

OR

A more corporeal entity (waitstaff, friend) was messing with you trying to send another kind of message entirely.
Old 23rd April 2018, 08:52 AM   #43
baron
Philosopher

On the upside, I've learned what a Daith piercing is. I'd never heard of one before, it sounds worse than it is. It put me in mind of a family doctor called Dr Death. He spelled it De'ath but nobody was fooled. He did actually resemble a corpse, likely on account of drinking a bottle of whisky a day, and towards the end of his career - and indeed his life - fell into a grave. Anyway.
Old 23rd April 2018, 12:55 PM   #44
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Elaedith View Post
Perhaps somebody put something sticky on it and threw it at the ceiling as a joke. Whatever was used eventually dried up and it fell down.
That would be extremely unlikely. There is nothing unbelievable in my description, bottom of last page. It was a very simple prank carried out with no planning or skill necessary.

It didn't fall from a chair back, or the ceiling. It was flipped up in the air like a coin by a guest at the table. The first earring missed and was later found, the second one landed on the arm. The end.
Old 23rd April 2018, 01:40 PM   #45
BayWatcher
Scholar

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
That would be extremely unlikely. There is nothing unbelievable in my description, bottom of last page. It was a very simple prank carried out with no planning or skill necessary.

It didn't fall from a chair back, or the ceiling. It was flipped up in the air like a coin by a guest at the table. The first earring missed and was later found, the second one landed on the arm. The end.

Or it's a made up story.
BayWatcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2018, 02:14 PM   #46
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
The ceiling was smooth plaster, there would be nothing to hold it in place. I didn't see the first earring fall, it was behind Becky. I simply heard something hit the tile. The second earring fell straight down onto her left sleeve right where the arm bends, she had them crossed and resting on the table. At first I thought it was a bug.
Yes, like I said, the number of things you don't know about the situation is astronomical. The number of things we know about the situation is far less. We are less likely to stumble upon the correct answer than you are. All we can do is offer possible explanations. It's up to you to admit that one of them might be true. Even then you have no way of knowing for sure which explanation is the true one.

Not knowing stuff is okay. Sometimes things happen that we don't have an immediate explanation for. That doesn't mean that we have to go leaping off into the supernatural for an explanation. It just means admitting that human knowledge is imperfect.
Old 23rd April 2018, 02:31 PM   #47
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Deep State. It's ALWAYS the Deep State. Or the Illuminati, one or the other.
Old 23rd April 2018, 04:29 PM   #48
kellyb
Philosopher

Somebody probably threw it. Kind of a tossup between one of your party and staff. I lean towards bored staff because of the fact that the two didn't match, and a tray of lost and found items might have had a number of earrings in it. If it was tossed and it grazed the ceiling, it easily could have fallen straight down.

They also could have been stuck in the ceiling like tacks.

Last edited by kellyb; 23rd April 2018 at 04:30 PM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2018, 04:54 AM   #49
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Somebody probably threw it. Kind of a tossup between one of your party and staff. I lean towards bored staff because of the fact that the two didn't match, and a tray of lost and found items might have had a number of earrings in it. If it was tossed and it grazed the ceiling, it easily could have fallen straight down.

They also could have been stuck in the ceiling like tacks.
I go for her party for the reason I gave in #26. If you know someone interprets every single coincidence or event without an instantly obvious cause as a personal message from god/the universe/the great beyond how could you resist the urge to manufacture a few?
Old 24th April 2018, 05:13 AM   #50
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

The Universe heard your friend's plea and materialized an earring to send her the signal that acupuncture really works.
The Universe is compassionate like that (don't look into this claim).

Alternatively, The Secret is real and thinking of stuff really hard is enough to make them real. And when you finally have all the stuff you want, you're allowed to be happy. Saw it on Oprah one day.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2018, 06:57 AM   #51
Drewbot
Philosopher

Jodie threw both earrings at her co worker.

Then looked at the ceiling like they fell from there.

Jodie the slight of hand magician getting attention.

Or, she is just making the whole thing up.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2018, 07:10 AM   #52
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'd bet most restaurants have a drawer full of lost earrings. They chucked a couple at you so you'd leave.
I’ve worked as a server and we used to do stuff like this all the time ... customers hanging around and not buy booze are free game
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2018, 08:16 AM   #53
Thermal
Illuminator

I'm still on board with wait staff tossing. The conversation about piercings was initiated by the server's Daithy thing, and I doubt Jodie's party would have prepared for that prompt in advance. Staff was saying 'will these people ever stop talking about piercings and get out so we can set up for dinner' and gave the not so subtle hints.
Old 24th April 2018, 01:42 PM   #54
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

I think we can definitely rule out bigfoot.
Can we thou? What if it was the spirit of a bigfoot?
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2018, 01:56 PM   #55
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

double

Last edited by TheGoldcountry; 24th April 2018 at 01:59 PM.
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2018, 01:57 PM   #56
xjx388
Philosopher

Another question just occurred to me. A group of people are enjoying conversation at lunch and one of them is hit with an earring. How is the first the first instinct of the group not, “Hey! Who the hell is throwing earrings at us?!? Did you throw that, Becky, Jodie or <insert other friends’ name here>? No? What about you waitstaff? There are two earrings here that came from somewhere and it wasn’t us! That leaves only you! Where’s your manager?”

It just seems very odd to me that someone was struck by an object that could just have easily hit someone’s eye and no one thought much of that except, seemingly, “Ooooo, that’s spooky!” They should sell an Occam’s Razor style placard that you can keep in your wallet or purse that people can pull out in situations like this: “No, it wasn’t something paranormal and it wasn’t aliens. C’mon, man!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24th April 2018, 01:59 PM   #57
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I'm still on board with wait staff tossing. The conversation about piercings was initiated by the server's Daithy thing, and I doubt Jodie's party would have prepared for that prompt in advance. Staff was saying 'will these people ever stop talking about piercings and get out so we can set up for dinner' and gave the not so subtle hints.
Yeah, Jodie said they there for "only" 2 1/2 hours. If part of their duties is to set up for the next table, they would be irate at sitting around.
Old 24th April 2018, 02:03 PM   #58
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Another question just occurred to me. A group of people are enjoying conversation at lunch and one of them is hit with an earring. How is the first the first instinct of the group not, “Hey! Who the hell is throwing earrings at us?!? Did you throw that, Becky, Jodie or <insert other friends’ name here>? No? What about you waitstaff? There are two earrings here that came from somewhere and it wasn’t us! That leaves only you! Where’s your manager?”

It just seems very odd to me that someone was struck by an object that could just have easily hit someone’s eye and no one thought much of that except, seemingly, “Ooooo, that’s spooky!” They should sell an Occam’s Razor style placard that you can keep in your wallet or purse that people can pull out in situations like this: “No, it wasn’t something paranormal and it wasn’t aliens. C’mon, man!”
LOL. I would never throw anything at a customer, though after 2 1/2 hours, I would probably do the passive aggressive wait 10 feet from the table, and say that I'm "just being there for any possible request."
Old 24th April 2018, 02:10 PM   #59
Jodie
Philosopher

@Jodie, you said the first earring dropping made a noise loud enough to be heard. How large and heavy were these earrings? I don't think a stud would make enough noise to be heard at all, especially above conversation with restaurant background noise. So that first one would have to be pretty large. Huge and heavy, even. But a five-person search party didn't see it the first time?
The first earring hit the tile floor behind Becky. It was a faux chocolate pearl earring when Annie Ruth looked for it and picked it up. I would say it was a 10-12 mm pearl. We were originally looking for an ink pen or thought it was something that fell out of Becky's purse. I agree with you, it's odd that it would make that kind of noise. That might not have been the object that fell behind Becky but there wasn't anything else on the floor but that pearl earring.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2018, 02:14 PM   #60
Jodie
Philosopher

Clearly, some entity in the universe knew you suffered from migraines and decided to send you a signal: get a Daith piercing. So first they sent you a woman who had one. This sparked the requisite curiosity and to hammer the point home, they materialized cheap earrings and had them fall in your vicinity. They screwed up the first one ("Damn it! No one saw that one!") but the second one hit your friend Becky. Message received. I'd be willing to bet that for the rest of the day, earrings and piercings were especially noticeable to you; this was the entity's way of keeping your mind on the subject.

A few unresolved questions: If the entity is capable of influencing minds and materializing earrings, why not directly influence your mind and/or materialize an earring directly in front of you? Indeed, why not simply create a direct message, like a mental message or a bunch of earrings arranged to spell out: "Jodie, get Daith Piercing." Seems to me like the vague messages these entities send are pretty worthless.

OR

A more corporeal entity (waitstaff, friend) was messing with you trying to send another kind of message entirely.
No, it was my co-worker, Gena, who suffers from chronic migraines. I might have one twice a year but it's nothing I'ld get a piercing for since Imitrex works fine for me in those cases. I have no idea why the earrings fell on Becky since she doesn't have migraines and Gena was the co-worker that was asking about the Daith piercing. I was just a casual observer of the whole thing.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2018, 02:17 PM   #61
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Yes, like I said, the number of things you don't know about the situation is astronomical. The number of things we know about the situation is far less. We are less likely to stumble upon the correct answer than you are. All we can do is offer possible explanations. It's up to you to admit that one of them might be true. Even then you have no way of knowing for sure which explanation is the true one.

Not knowing stuff is okay. Sometimes things happen that we don't have an immediate explanation for. That doesn't mean that we have to go leaping off into the supernatural for an explanation. It just means admitting that human knowledge is imperfect.
Well, maybe so. I don't think it was staff but I didn't have a 360 degree view of the dining room the entire time we were there.
Old 24th April 2018, 02:21 PM   #62
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
Yeah, Jodie said they there for "only" 2 1/2 hours. If part of their duties is to set up for the next table, they would be irate at sitting around.
Not in this town, its a small town, this place is busy during lunch and dinner but not at 2:30 pm in the afternoon. No need to throw things at us, they could have just asked us to leave.
Old 24th April 2018, 02:24 PM   #63
Thermal
Illuminator

Are you familiar with staff? Friendly with them? Any practical jokers working there perhaps?
Old 24th April 2018, 02:25 PM   #64
Jodie
Philosopher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like I said, we thought something fell out of Becky's purse, like an ink pen or a coin, or something with the first earring. Those of us sitting across from Becky saw the second earring fall on her arm. No one else was in the dining room except for us so the initial response was not assuming someone threw something at our table. I thought it was a cock roach that fell on Becky's arm at first.
Old 24th April 2018, 02:27 PM   #65
Jodie
Philosopher

Are you familiar with staff? Friendly with them? Any practical jokers working there perhaps?
No, it was my first time there. There was only a couple of waitresses that I saw working that afternoon, it was a small place in a strip mall.

Last edited by Jodie; 24th April 2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 24th April 2018, 04:57 PM   #66
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

No, it was my first time there. There was only a couple of waitresses that I saw working that afternoon, it was a small place in a strip mall.
yep, 100% spirit of a 17th dimensional bigfoot.
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2018, 05:48 PM   #67
Thermal
Illuminator

The first earring hit the tile floor behind Becky. It was a faux chocolate pearl earring when Annie Ruth looked for it and picked it up. I would say it was a 10-12 mm pearl. We were originally looking for an ink pen or thought it was something that fell out of Becky's purse. I agree with you, it's odd that it would make that kind of noise. That might not have been the object that fell behind Becky but there wasn't anything else on the floor but that pearl earring.
It made a loud noise. Any chance, in hindsight, that the loud noise was the earring hitting the back of the chair, having been thrown? Was the back of that chair more or less aligned with the door to where staff were (kitchen, etc)?
Old 24th April 2018, 06:06 PM   #68
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Not in this town, its a small town, this place is busy during lunch and dinner but not at 2:30 pm in the afternoon. No need to throw things at us, they could have just asked us to leave.
If you hadn't been sitting there until 2:30, the staff could have taken a break. You unnecessarily kept them waiting around. That was rude.
Old 24th April 2018, 06:41 PM   #69
mikado
Graduate Poster

I have lost count of the amount of fellow migraine sufferers who are totally convinced that their daith piercings have helped enormously with their migraines.
It's given them so much relief I don't want to suggest placebo to them...
Old 24th April 2018, 09:41 PM   #70
JimOfAllTrades
Critical Thinker

Like I said, we thought something fell out of Becky's purse, like an ink pen or a coin, or something with the first earring. Those of us sitting across from Becky saw the second earring fall on her arm. No one else was in the dining room except for us so the initial response was not assuming someone threw something at our table. I thought it was a cock roach that fell on Becky's arm at first.
What happened to the earrings? Did one of you keep them or did you give them to the staff?
JimOfAllTrades is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2018, 05:00 AM   #71
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

How is it that you were unable to locate the pearl earring at the time of the noise? You describe a fairly large faux pearl.

When you initially heard the noise, you found nothing that could have caused the noise.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2018, 05:58 AM   #72
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Jodie, what is your best explanation?
Old 25th April 2018, 02:45 PM   #73
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Those of us sitting across from Becky saw the second earring fall on her arm.
Did you actually see it fall? Or did you just see it on her arm and wonder where it came from?

It reminds me of the "rain of fish" phenomenon. No-one ever actually sees the fish fall from the sky, but there are all these fish all over the place and where else could they possibly have come from?
Old 26th April 2018, 03:54 PM   #74
Jodie
Philosopher

It made a loud noise. Any chance, in hindsight, that the loud noise was the earring hitting the back of the chair, having been thrown? Was the back of that chair more or less aligned with the door to where staff were (kitchen, etc)?
No, we heard the clatter sound on the tile floor. It was directly behind Becky and to the right of Annie Ruth, both turned to see what had fallen thinking something had fallen out of Becky's purse. It made more noise than I would expect a glass/resin type bead to make assuming that it was the faux chocolate pearl making the noise as it fell that Annie Ruth picked up later. Becky and Annie Ruth had there backs to the wall so would have seen someone in the dining room or at the door, I had my back to the room so can't say for certain if anyone threw the earrings.
Old 26th April 2018, 03:56 PM   #75
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Did you actually see it fall? Or did you just see it on her arm and wonder where it came from?

It reminds me of the "rain of fish" phenomenon. No-one ever actually sees the fish fall from the sky, but there are all these fish all over the place and where else could they possibly have come from?
I saw the second earring drop down onto Becky's sleeve and we all reflexively looked up at the ceiling to see where it came from. It fell straight down.
Old 26th April 2018, 04:03 PM   #76
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Jodie, what is your best explanation?
My co-workers say there was no one that could have thrown the earrings. I had my back to the room so I'm going with their opinion. There wasn't anyway they could have been stuck to the ceiling that I could see sitting in my chair without actually climbing up on the table to get a closer look at the ceiling. I wan't that invested in figuring out how it happened to embarrass myself in that way. I have no idea how it could have happened, but when these odd things do happen, I like to share them here.
Old 26th April 2018, 04:14 PM   #77
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I don't think the earring had to be thrown. It could have been knocked off something or fell off something anywhere near where it was found from clothes people were wearing to something a distance away. In fact, if it did fall from anyplace high, there's a good chance it would have fallen and bounced ending up a distance from its starting place.

The second earring, meh, that's not much of a coincidence stretch.

And yes, odd things happen, thanks for sharing.
Old 27th April 2018, 09:44 AM   #78
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

So the order of events is:

1. You heard a noise as if something had fallen to the floor.
2. You saw an earring land on your friend's arm.
3. You found a different earring on the ground.

#1 and #3 aren't for sure linked, and are both fairly uninteresting. I guess it's mildly interesting that you found two unmatched earrings, but things like that happen all the time. So really the question is "Where did the earring that fell on Becky's sleeve come from?"

First you should keep in mind that just because it seems to have fallen straight down doesn't mean it did. It easily could have *looked* like it fell straight down when it didn't really - your eyes would have only caught the very end of its path and while our brains do their best to extrapolate based on incomplete data we aren't always great on it. So at best we can say the angle was fairly steep, we can't really be sure it was actually vertical. Even if it was essentially vertical it could have come from somewhere else in the room - if it was thrown and hit the ceiling, it could then fall downwards.

Second, remember that anything you didn't notice at the time by definition won't be something you relayed to us here, and won't be something you'll magically remember in hindsight. In fact, things that seem strange to us often become MORE impossible in hindsight as we tell ourselves over and over that there was no good explanation.

So: an earring dropped onto Becky's sleeve, at a fairly steep angle, and you didn't see where it came from. That's strange for sure, but there's not enough information to do more than throw out random guesses. Someone threw it, probably, but we don't know that it was thrown deliberately or not or what the motivation was.

It does seem like a safe bet that the earring didn't just materialize there, because that's not a thing that happens.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2018, 10:07 AM   #79
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Have any of you considered that it is possible that all of the known rules and laws about how the universe works could have just temporarily taken a break to provide us with this largely meaningless story? I didn't think so.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2018, 02:55 PM   #80
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mikado View Post
I have lost count of the amount of fellow migraine sufferers who are totally convinced that their daith piercings have helped enormously with their migraines.
It's given them so much relief I don't want to suggest placebo to them...
Yeah I know, maybe initially it would work. I don't think acupuncture works indefinitely to control pain so I can't see how the Daith earring would be anything other than a short term solution.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal