ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th April 2018, 03:11 PM   #81
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Have any of you considered that it is possible that all of the known rules and laws about how the universe works could have just temporarily taken a break to provide us with this largely meaningless story? I didn't think so.
I think the reason it took on meaning for me and my coworkers was because of the discussion about the Daith earring prior to the earrings falling on the floor and on Becky's arm.

I can't be certain about the first earring that was found on the floor. I wouldn't have thought to look for anything on the floor after the second earring fell on Becky because I wouldn't have connected the two had I been sitting there alone.

The second fallen earring was just weird, more so if you connected the discussion about the Daith earring followed by the sound of something falling on the floor that might have been made by the first earring plus the second earring that fell on Becky's arm. It may only be the group perception of the chain of events at the time and, as you say, just a meaningless string of events or coincidence woven into something that had significance of some kind at that moment. I still think it was odd.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2018, 03:13 PM   #82
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Someone was operating an improbabilty drive nearby. Probably just parking though.
Old 27th April 2018, 07:59 PM   #83
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I saw the second earring drop down onto Becky's sleeve and we all reflexively looked up at the ceiling to see where it came from. It fell straight down.
You saw it on her sleeve, but you didn't see it while it was in the process of actually dropping. You didn't see it trace a path through space, you only saw it at the end point of the path you assumed it took.

Magicians exploit this assumed-path phenomenon all the time.
Old 27th April 2018, 11:41 PM   #84
EHocking
Philosopher

It fell off a passing Easter Cougar
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2018, 05:37 AM   #85
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
It fell off a passing Easter Cougar
The Easter Cougar from Edisto Island S.C. spreading joy and health tips with earrings falling from the sky....I like it!!
Drew your up....make him a happy cougar not the deer killing kind.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2018, 09:04 AM   #86
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

It amazes me how the powers-that-run-the-universe seem to follow certain people around only to do silly, trivial and pointless **** in order to not quite convey ambiguous non messages that help no one.
Old 28th April 2018, 10:14 AM   #87
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by BayWatcher View Post
Or it's a made up story.
This is the number one logical explanation and especially when you are familiar with the Internet story telling history of Jodie.

This thread is full of people trying to rationally explain what may have happened but it's an exercise in meaningless nonsense. Many would say oh, but it still serves a purpose because it explains how a person should explore and evaluate an unusual event. But really that overlooks a much more important thing and that is establishing that the event actually occurred as written in the first place.

This is not how you show or teach people how not to be gullible or credulous.
Old 28th April 2018, 04:50 PM   #88
Minoosh
Philosopher

Wait - my earrings have been disappearing. I didn't consider the possibility that they are materializing elsewhere and falling from ceilings, but it makes sense.

ETA: Wreaks havoc with my ability to wear matching earrings, a phenomenon also apparent in the disappearance of socks ...
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2018, 06:06 PM   #89
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Wait - my earrings have been disappearing. I didn't consider the possibility that they are materializing elsewhere and falling from ceilings, but it makes sense.

ETA: Wreaks havoc with my ability to wear matching earrings, a phenomenon also apparent in the disappearance of socks ...
Not sure if there's a thread on this in the science forum but there have been advances in spooky action at a distance research. Next step up: earrings.

Einstein’s ‘spooky action at a distance’ spotted in objects almost big enough to see
Old 29th April 2018, 06:15 AM   #90
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Jodie, what is your best explanation?
This. Until Jodie answers this question, the discussion is simply providing the attention she wants.
Old 29th April 2018, 04:08 PM   #91
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
This. Until Jodie answers this question, the discussion is simply providing the attention she wants.
That seems harshly unfair to Jodie. But it is the type of reply that makes me hesitant to post when something odd happens and I'm looking for suggestions and feedback.
Old 29th April 2018, 04:17 PM   #92
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
the type of reply that makes me hesitant to post when something odd happens and I'm looking for suggestions and feedback.
Something odd that actually happened or that you made up? This here is a Jodie Story thread.
Old 29th April 2018, 04:26 PM   #93
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Something odd that actually happened or that you made up? This here is a Jodie Story thread.
Yeah, there is previous experience that gives reason to suspect that a mundane explanation, for even a mundane occurance, will be rejected.
Old 29th April 2018, 05:22 PM   #94
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Well, it would at least be something if the mundane occurrence actually occurred.
Old 30th April 2018, 04:00 AM   #95
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

That seems harshly unfair to Jodie. But it is the type of reply that makes me hesitant to post when something odd happens and I'm looking for suggestions and feedback.
If something odd happens I'm sure plenty of us would be interested. Part of the story is that "I found a couple of ear rings on the floor", "a bathroom door swung shut", or "my neighbour's trunk lid seemed to move when she was unloading the car" don't seem unusual enough to rate claiming significance for.
Old 30th April 2018, 06:11 PM   #96
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Understandable response but only in a vacuum. There is a larger history with Jodie and a specific one in this thread. She could, of course, answer the question, which is the most relevant one, but has neglected to do so despite responding to others in the interim.
Old 1st May 2018, 09:17 AM   #97
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Understandable response but only in a vacuum. There is a larger history with Jodie and a specific one in this thread. She could, of course, answer the question, which is the most relevant one, but has neglected to do so despite responding to others in the interim.
Great point, and assumes the inquiry has the genuine interest in solving a mystery. But the source has to be considered and the location/audience one chooses to present it to.
This reminds me of one of Jodies stories at BFF(Bigfoot Fantasy w/Friends) she was mystified by cigarette butts disappearing from her porch, which according to her overlooked a greenway. She never claimed it was Bigfoot, but presenting this info to that audience certainly illicited the desired results...just as presenting the earring "mystery" does here.

Last edited by Cervelo; 1st May 2018 at 10:06 AM.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2018, 11:22 AM   #98
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I think the reason it took on meaning for me and my coworkers was because of the discussion about the Daith earring prior to the earrings falling on the floor and on Becky's arm.

I can't be certain about the first earring that was found on the floor. I wouldn't have thought to look for anything on the floor after the second earring fell on Becky because I wouldn't have connected the two had I been sitting there alone.

The second fallen earring was just weird, more so if you connected the discussion about the Daith earring followed by the sound of something falling on the floor that might have been made by the first earring plus the second earring that fell on Becky's arm. It may only be the group perception of the chain of events at the time and, as you say, just a meaningless string of events or coincidence woven into something that had significance of some kind at that moment. I still think it was odd.
What meaning did it have?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2018, 06:50 PM   #99
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
You saw it on her sleeve, but you didn't see it while it was in the process of actually dropping. You didn't see it trace a path through space, you only saw it at the end point of the path you assumed it took.

Magicians exploit this assumed-path phenomenon all the time.
No, I saw it fall onto her sleeve.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2018, 06:51 PM   #100
Jodie
Philosopher

What meaning did it have?

That it was an inexplicable occurrence.
Old 1st May 2018, 06:52 PM   #101
Jodie
Philosopher

I don't know.
Old 1st May 2018, 06:59 PM   #102
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
Great point, and assumes the inquiry has the genuine interest in solving a mystery. But the source has to be considered and the location/audience one chooses to present it to.
This reminds me of one of Jodies stories at BFF(Bigfoot Fantasy w/Friends) she was mystified by cigarette butts disappearing from her porch, which according to her overlooked a greenway. She never claimed it was Bigfoot, but presenting this info to that audience certainly illicited the desired results...just as presenting the earring "mystery" does here.
Well it is a forum.What else are you going to talk about except unusual and noteworthy things?
Old 2nd May 2018, 06:08 AM   #103
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

That it was an inexplicable occurrence.
Surely things happen every day that you can't explain. I'd say half of what lets me type this post and read your reply is beyond my ability to explain. Is that really meaningful?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2018, 06:58 AM   #104
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know.
You do not know what "your best explanation" is? You can think of none whatsoever?

I don't buy it. And the reason I don't buy it, besides your history, is the place you posted it. Why not the Science Forum?
Old 2nd May 2018, 07:16 AM   #105
Chanakya

Hm, interesting thread!

These are portents. Thinking back on all the relevant literature I’ve studied on things of this sort, my advice is to be on your guard these next seven days. For exactly a week, make sure you don’t sit alone in a darkened room in front of the TV late at night.

Because if you do, then in addition to the horror of something wearing large garish (and mismatched) earrings oozing out of the television screen towards you, you’ll know that when you report that experience to us over here, you’ll get to hear “I told you so”.

But no, seriously, I’m intrigued by these “Jodie Stories” of yours that you speak of. Are these basically some kind of fiction that you write, puzzles that we are to try to explain logically? Or are they actual odd experiences that you seem to keep having IRL, and relate here?
Chanakya is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2018, 07:42 AM   #106
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Wait staff: "Those women are talking about some sort of special earrings. We have a few in the Lost and Found, and we're bored... let's have some fun!"
Old 2nd May 2018, 10:24 AM   #107
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

It's too bad that diamonds or gold coins didn't materialize instead of worthless earrings.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2018, 10:25 AM   #108
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

What did she say when an earring appeared on her sleeve?

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2018, 11:33 AM   #109
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
But no, seriously, I’m intrigued by these “Jodie Stories” of yours that you speak of. Are these basically some kind of fiction that you write, puzzles that we are to try to explain logically? Or are they actual odd experiences that you seem to keep having IRL, and relate here?

Prepare to become unintrigued..

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=281250
Old 2nd May 2018, 12:16 PM   #110
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I forgot that Jodie actually had two cougar stories, not one.

Old 2nd May 2018, 12:51 PM   #111
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

You do not know what "your best explanation" is? You can think of none whatsoever?

I don't buy it. And the reason I don't buy it, besides your history, is the place you posted it. Why not the Science Forum?
Why not the Community Forum? Because Jodie Stories are about paranormalcy and that "skeptics" are on the wrong page.
Old 2nd May 2018, 01:12 PM   #112
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I forgot that Jodie actually had two cougar stories, not one.
I only remember the one about the cougar chasing a deer through the backyard in a place where cougars are "not supposed to be found".

Where is the other story?
Old 2nd May 2018, 02:27 PM   #113
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

I only remember the one about the cougar chasing a deer through the backyard in a place where cougars are "not supposed to be found".

Where is the other story?

Oh, that kind of "cougar story"...
Old 2nd May 2018, 02:42 PM   #114
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Were you looking at or just above her sleeve already, and it fell into your field of vision? Or was your attention brought to her sleeve when you saw movement?

In either case, you still have no information about it's origin or trajectory.
Old 2nd May 2018, 04:00 PM   #115
Jodie
Philosopher

Surely things happen every day that you can't explain. I'd say half of what lets me type this post and read your reply is beyond my ability to explain. Is that really meaningful?
Typing on a computer, no, an earring falling out of the air with no obvious place it came from, yes.
Old 2nd May 2018, 04:03 PM   #116
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Were you looking at or just above her sleeve already, and it fell into your field of vision? Or was your attention brought to her sleeve when you saw movement?

In either case, you still have no information about it's origin or trajectory.
I was sitting directly across from Becky looking at her because she was talking at the time. Becky was sitting with her arms crossed on the table. I saw the earring fall straight down and hit her arm, I thought it was a bug at first. That does happen with the large palmetto bugs we have here in the south.
Old 2nd May 2018, 04:12 PM   #117
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
Hm, interesting thread!

They are things IRL that I've had happen to me or around me that I can't explain.
Old 2nd May 2018, 04:19 PM   #118
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I'm pretty sure that I was the one who named them "Jodie Stories".

Did the earring fall perfectly straight down without any "arc" - as if it was not thrown from anywhere?
Old 2nd May 2018, 04:32 PM   #119
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

I'm pretty sure that I was the one who named them "Jodie Stories".

Did the earring fall perfectly straight down without any "arc" - as if it was not thrown from anywhere?
No arc and not only that I bet Jodie recalls a small noise or voice just before too.

Said the robot gleefully as he went on his rampage.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2018, 08:34 PM   #120
Jodie
Philosopher

I thought Community was more appropriate.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal