IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags clips , tam4 , few , analysis , kids

Old 30th January 2006, 11:16 PM   #1
phyz
Muse

HS kids analysis of a few TAM4 clips

I showed my high school physics students a few clips from TAM4.

1. Randi floats Ed Lu on stage. Morning classes couldn't figure out the trick; afternoon classes could!

2. Richard Wiseman's Magic Circle: showed them the whole thing from the first paper toss to the final ovation. The funny thing was that the common explanation was that Wiseman memorized all 16 numbers and placements for all values from 35 to 90. They decided it was a simple thing to do. HS kids are amusing in that they love to be unimpressed.

Haven't played them the Britney or the Led Zep clips yet... but they enjoyed watching me in my post-TAM buzz.
phyz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2006, 11:19 PM   #2
phyz
Muse

Sorry; that's "HS kids' analysis of TAM4 clips." My bad.
phyz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2006, 11:43 AM   #3
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phyz View Post
Haven't played them the Britney or the Led Zep clips yet...
I'd like to see that again. That really tore down the house!!
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2006, 11:55 AM   #4
Patricio Elicer
Obsessed with Reality

Richard Wiseman is such an entertaining and informative guy!. The perfect combination for a great talk. The most hilarious moment was he switching places with Phil Plait during the presentation. I admit it took me a few seconds to figure out the move
Old 31st January 2006, 11:56 AM   #5
vbloke
Disturbing shirts

I bumped into Richard Wiseman at the airport and we were on the same plane back to the UK.
My lips are sealed as to what secrets he revealed...
(paypal accepted)

http://www.ukskeptics.com
Skepticism in the UK
vbloke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2006, 12:01 PM   #6
Fun2BFree
Critical Thinker

I showed my high school physics students a few clips from TAM4.

2. Richard Wiseman's Magic Circle: showed them the whole thing from the first paper toss to the final ovation. The funny thing was that the common explanation was that Wiseman memorized all 16 numbers and placements for all values from 35 to 90. They decided it was a simple thing to do. HS kids are amusing in that they love to be unimpressed.
I doubt #2--there is likely a formula--like the one for telling you any day of the week for any day in history--it is not just for idiot savants--it is a formula--I would not call it a simple one--but simple addtion and division are required with only memorizing 12 cofactors for the 12 months and there are mnemonics for that....
Old 31st January 2006, 12:06 PM   #7
delphi_ote
Philosopher

I have to admit, I've been trying to work out the Magic Circle for some time. That's the kind of thing that drives me insane.

Glad to hear you're sharing TAM with highschool students. I know I would've loved this kind of thing when I was that age.
delphi_ote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2006, 12:06 PM   #8
Patricio Elicer
Obsessed with Reality

Originally Posted by vbloke View Post
I bumped into Richard Wiseman at the airport and we were on the same plane back to the UK.
My lips are sealed as to what secrets he revealed...
(paypal accepted)
Well, I'm after the fire walk video he showed at TAM3. Any suggestions on how or where I can find it would be appreciated. And yes, I have a PayPal account, but I need a discount
Old 31st January 2006, 12:06 PM   #9
treble_head
Cupcake Loser Moron

Originally Posted by Fun2BFree View Post
I doubt #2--there is likely a formula--like the one for telling you any day of the week for any day in history--it is not just for idiot savants--it is a formula--I would not call it a simple one--but simple addtion and division are required with only memorizing 12 cofactors for the 12 months and there are mnemonics for that....
Well, whatever it was, it has nothing to do with the magic squares discussed in David Blaine's book. Nope. Nothing at all.

That's not going to work Treb. I'm still going to like you. - Arthwollipot
treble_head is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2006, 12:10 PM   #10
aofl
Muse

Originally Posted by Patricio Elicer View Post
Well, I'm after the fire walk video he showed at TAM3. Any suggestions on how or where I can find it would be appreciated. And yes, I have a PayPal account, but I need a discount
You and me both. I was hoping to catch him at TAM IV and ask him if it was possible to get it somewhere.

A
Old 31st January 2006, 12:25 PM   #11
Patricio Elicer
Obsessed with Reality

Originally Posted by aofl View Post
You and me both. I was hoping to catch him at TAM IV and ask him if it was possible to get it somewhere.

A
I bought the TAM3 DVD set hoping that the video was in there. But it isn't . Maybe copyright issues demanded that it had to be edited out.
Old 31st January 2006, 12:27 PM   #12
phyz
Muse

Originally Posted by aofl View Post

A
Has anyone checked through the TAM3 DVD set for it? Or is it in there and of such low quality (3rd generation) as to be unusable? I show my kids a video on the Leidenfrost Effect that includes such stunts as dipping the hand into molten lead, putting liquid nitrogen into the mouth, and walking over hot coals. Wiseman's video of the failed firewalkers would be a great add-on to that.
Old 31st January 2006, 12:32 PM   #13
Patricio Elicer
Obsessed with Reality

Wiseman's video of the failed firewalkers would be a great add-on to that.
It's certainly telling on what the firewalkers "real powers" are.
Old 31st January 2006, 03:16 PM   #14
Beleth
FAQ Creator

Haven't played them the Britney or the Led Zep clips yet...
A great place to finds a lot of these clips is at http://www.reversespeech.com/music_reversals.htm . The cool part about most of the clips is that it gets played forwards first, then backwards at three different speeds... apparently they get easier to understand if you slow them down a bit.

Two caveats:
1) Some of the reversals have words in them that would be HIGHLY inappropriate for a high school teacher to play to his students. So pre-screen them first!
2) The author of the site is a woo-woo that believes that all these messages are intentional. In fact, he's a psychiatrist who uses Reverse Speech to psychoanalyze his patients. Be forewarned.
Old 31st January 2006, 03:18 PM   #15
LostAngeles
Penultimate Amazing

The key to the magic square is most likely the placement of the 11 and the 4. If I'm not mistaken, he wrote those numbers down either before or while he was asking for a number.

Edit: Most likely because of how I remembered it. I could be completely wrong.
LostAngeles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2006, 03:27 PM   #16
delphi_ote
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LostAngeles View Post
The key to the magic square is most likely the placement of the 11 and the 4. If I'm not mistaken, he wrote those numbers down either before or while he was asking for a number.

Edit: Most likely because of how I remembered it. I could be completely wrong.
I remember him doing that as well. I must learn more!
delphi_ote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2006, 03:29 PM   #17
Beleth
FAQ Creator

You are not mistaken.

I'm sure the rest of it is just some mental arithmetic involving 11, 4, the number picked, and the other previously-calculated numbers. The hard part is keeping talking about stuff while you're doing all that calculation, I'm sure.
Old 31st January 2006, 03:37 PM   #18
LostAngeles
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beleth View Post
You are not mistaken.

I'm sure the rest of it is just some mental arithmetic involving 11, 4, the number picked, and the other previously-calculated numbers. The hard part is keeping talking about stuff while you're doing all that calculation, I'm sure.
Ahh... now what did the numbers have to be between again?
LostAngeles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2006, 03:48 PM   #19
treble_head
Cupcake Loser Moron

This might help. http://mathforum.org/alejandre/magic.square.html

treble_head is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2006, 03:52 PM   #20
Beleth
FAQ Creator

Ahh... now what did the numbers have to be between again?
35 and ninety-... um... four, I think.
Old 31st January 2006, 03:53 PM   #21
delphi_ote
Philosopher

Originally Posted by treble_head View Post
I love you.
Old 31st January 2006, 03:56 PM   #22
Beleth
FAQ Creator

Originally Posted by delphi_ote View Post
I love you.
What happened in Vegas should stay in Vegas.
Old 31st January 2006, 03:57 PM   #23
LostAngeles
Penultimate Amazing

NO! Now we'll just find the answer rather than puzzling it out.

You're not my Penny Slots Pal anymore.
Old 31st January 2006, 03:58 PM   #24
treble_head
Cupcake Loser Moron

what? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Old 31st January 2006, 03:58 PM   #25
LostAngeles
Penultimate Amazing

awww...
Where's Voltron, bitch?
Old 31st January 2006, 04:04 PM   #26
treble_head
Cupcake Loser Moron

Voltron is now there. Please be my penny slots buddy again? I wasted 3 bucks on that Star Wars Slot so nobody would take it while you were waiting for the maintenence person! I'll have nobody else to comment on mullets with!

Old 31st January 2006, 04:10 PM   #27
TJ
Amateur Rhythmatist

I'll mullet watch with you Treb. Since we have shaven heads, we are thereby experts on the fine and subtle art of mulletude. I'll be able to grow an awesome skullet in a few years...
In most of the states of this union, I could not give testimony. Christianity has such a contemptable opinion of human nature that it does not believe that a man can tell the truth unless frightened by a belief in God. - Ingersoll

My Blog
TJ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2006, 04:14 PM   #28
treble_head
Cupcake Loser Moron

sweet. I hope you don't mind, TJ, but I'll still have some emotional baggage in tow an compare your hairwatching skills to Lost Angeles' a lot.

Your first mullet watching buddy is always the most special... *sniff*

Old 31st January 2006, 04:15 PM   #29
LostAngeles
Penultimate Amazing

Voltron is now there. Please be my penny slots buddy again? I wasted 3 bucks on that Star Wars Slot so nobody would take it while you were waiting for the maintenence person! I'll have nobody else to comment on mullets with!
We're PSPs again.

Dude, check out the mullet over there. WTF
Old 31st January 2006, 04:27 PM   #30
Jas
Illuminator

I think my favourite were the photo's of the 'winners'.

"Herlinda"...hehe
Jas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2006, 04:36 PM   #31
Beleth
FAQ Creator

Originally Posted by Jas View Post
I think my favourite were the photo's of the 'winners'.

"Herlinda"...hehe
OMFSM... I think that it was a requirement that you had to have HORRENDOUS teeth to win at slots there.

("Oh My Flying Spaghetti Monster", duh)
Old 31st January 2006, 04:42 PM   #32
Jas
Illuminator

There was one woman...Belinda? AKA the Queen of the Dead, wearing these awful sunglasses, and had pastier skin than me (truly amazing, that).

I think the other requirement was awful hair.
Jas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2006, 04:44 PM   #33
TJ
Amateur Rhythmatist

There was one woman...Belinda? AKA the Queen of the Dead, wearing these awful sunglasses, and had pastier skin than me (truly amazing, that).

Especially "Randal". Remember him, Jas? He was the closest one to the bar. Blech. I'll take no hair over bad hair ANY DAY.
In most of the states of this union, I could not give testimony. Christianity has such a contemptable opinion of human nature that it does not believe that a man can tell the truth unless frightened by a belief in God. - Ingersoll

My Blog
TJ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2006, 04:45 PM   #34
delphi_ote
Philosopher

Among my first observations at the Stardust was that it seems a dubious honor to have people eat casino food off your face. No matter how much stupid people tax the casino gave me, I'd never let them put my likeness on a paper placemat.
Old 31st January 2006, 04:48 PM   #35
Jas
Illuminator

Originally Posted by delphi_ote View Post
Among my first observations at the Stardust was that it seems a dubious honor to have people eat casino food off your face. No matter how much stupid people tax the casino gave me, I'd never let them put my likeness on a paper placemat.
Who was the one guy...from Hawaii...they had him in the elevators. Seeing him, you know that the thoughts going through his head consist of , "Damn, this'll buy me a ****load of blow and hookers."

Originally Posted by TJ Stough
Especially "Randal". Remember him, Jas? He was the closest one to the bar. Blech. I'll take no hair over bad hair ANY DAY.
Oh dear. Let we forget.

I should volunteer my services as a stylist.

Do you think the slots have an infrared sensor which detects bad hair, thereby increasing your chances at winnine?

What about the dude who looked like he had two black eyes? WTF was up with that?
Old 31st January 2006, 04:58 PM   #36
TJ
Amateur Rhythmatist

Who was the one guy...from Hawaii...they had him in the elevators. Seeing him, you know that the thoughts going through his head consist of , "Damn, this'll buy me a ****load of blow and hookers."

Oh dear. Let we forget.

I should volunteer my services as a stylist.

Do you think the slots have an infrared sensor which detects bad hair, thereby increasing your chances at winnine?

What about the dude who looked like he had two black eyes? WTF was up with that?
I think he was beat up for trying to enter the high stakes room with his winnings.

My Blog
Old 31st January 2006, 05:06 PM   #37
treble_head
Cupcake Loser Moron

Yeah. That guy ticked me off. He was too young and good looking to get to win 110,000 dollars. My only consolation was that he lives in Hawaii, so the cost of living probably dragged him down immediately.

Old 31st January 2006, 05:09 PM   #38
Antiquehunter
Degenerate Gambler

Note - when I won my $3200 - no one tried to take my photo for a placemat.
Antiquehunter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2006, 10:42 PM   #39
Jas
Illuminator

That's because you don't have

A. Bad teeth
B. Bad hair
C. Two black eyes

I guess you're not the sort of person that Stardust wants representing them.

Sorry.

Sometimes life just sucks, don't it? If it's any consolation, I would love to eat off your face.
Old 31st January 2006, 11:56 PM   #40
Fun2BFree
Critical Thinker

all right so somebody help me--I understand the magic square deal...with 88 he took the base line magic square pattern where the sum is 34 -doubled that to 68 and saw that he could just add 1/4 of the remaining 20 needed to each of the 4 base cells ...so 88 was an easy one...

how do you get from 34 to say 77?

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events