ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM   #201
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

When is a sound not a sound? When it doesn't make a sound?

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:12 AM   #202
Whip
Muse

what?
Whip is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:17 AM   #203
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
what?
Now you're a police state!

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:58 AM   #204
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

Originally Posted by rlopez2 View Post
Many times. What makes you think that negritos can't read, understand 1984?
I only think that you don't understand it based on what you've been writing.

"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking itís a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe." - Lex Luthor

Wanda: But you think you're an intellectual, don't you, ape?
Otto: [superior smile] Apes don't read philosophy.
Wanda: Yes they do, Otto, they just don't understand it!
- A Fish Called Wanda
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be only found in the minds of men. Prejudices and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own.--Rod Serling
CptColumbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:53 AM   #205
rlopez2
Thinker

RE: When is a sound not a sound? When it doesn't make a sound?

Learning a bit of Physics will answer that question for you. I don't think that some "international skeptics" kinds of folks who have no clue about what they are talking about, but still manage to be "skeptic" will start an acoustical aether controversy in Physics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminiferous_aether

You could at the very least watch that ted talk video I mentioned, but you choose to be "argumentative", protagonistic.
rlopez2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:00 AM   #206
The Moog
Scholar

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
what?
The rubber chicken is the police state.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dog.jpg (55.9 KB, 1 views)
The Moog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:09 AM   #207
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

No, the police state is the thing you never see. We have fallen into the woo-woo rabbit hole here. Just as a sound is more real for being undetectable by things made to detect sound, a police state is more real the less you can figure out what it is, why it exists, or whom it benefits.

Actually, when I think about it I think I've hit on the answer: the police state is God. Boy, are we up the creek!

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:23 PM   #208
fagin
Philosopher

God is a rubber chicken?

That explains a lot.
Old Today, 01:01 PM   #209
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
God is a rubber chicken?

That explains a lot.
Minus the squeaker.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:06 PM   #210
Imhotep
Muse

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
No, the police state is the thing you never see. We have fallen into the woo-woo rabbit hole here. Just as a sound is more real for being undetectable by things made to detect sound, a police state is more real the less you can figure out what it is, why it exists, or whom it benefits.

Actually, when I think about it I think I've hit on the answer: the police state is God. Boy, are we up the creek!
Well, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know.

Furthermore, we could add unknown knowns as the things that we know, but are unaware of knowing?

partial credit to a Mr. Rumsfeld

Last edited by Imhotep; Today at 01:08 PM.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories