ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old Today, 11:26 AM   #2041
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well, I mentioned a few posts back the 'democratic deficit' of the EU. I think that needs to be addressed but without breaking the EU and building EU 2.0 I don't see how that can be entirely resolved. It's a tough situation because now the member-states are all pretty much fused at the hip, and the looming threat of Russia sure is a good incentive to bit one's lips and just endure the EU's problems because the alternative is probably much worse.
Can you be specific about what democratic deficit is the issue?
Old Today, 11:28 AM   #2042
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

And YET you find people disagreeing on facts all the time. That means that both sides think they have the facts on their side. In a lot of cases it's either trivial or at least relatively easy to know which is correct. Sometimes it's a lot more complicated.
Yes two people can disagree on say how many people were at Trump's inauguration but we know that one of them won't be reasonable.
Old Today, 11:29 AM   #2043
ceptimus
puzzler

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
So we are in agreement then that UKBA can deny EU citizens entry to the UK?

I should damn well hope there were good reasons (you've obviously checked, so i'll trust your judgement) to deny them entry. Since that's what I originally stated and was what Belz was asking about.

The idea that we should be able to deny people entry for no good reason would seem to be firmly in the 'little bit racist' camp.
You were the one that posted "UK Border Agency can deny you entry to the country entirely at their discretion as far as I know." ...and you've now admitted that you didn't know! The UKBA can only deny entry when they have very good reasons and certainly not "entirely at their discretion."
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:39 AM   #2044
Belz...
Fiend God

Well it just seems odd that if you are arguing that something is a problem worthy of consideration that you have to go straight to an unlikely hypothetical which is actually at odds with what we see happening rather than actual examples of the problem at hand.
Well sue me, I was trying to find a way to illustrate what I was saying with an example. Next time I'll just go with the general idea.

Quote:
And yet Brexiteers wouldn't have it.
Well, I can't help that.

Quote:
Can you be specific about what democratic deficit is the issue?
Well you can look up the term to get more info, but I'm concerned by the back-assward way in which laws are crafted and vetted in the EU, compared to the US or a parliamentary system. I think laws should be written by elected officials.

Quote:
Yes two people can disagree on say how many people were at Trump's inauguration but we know that one of them won't be reasonable.
Did you deliberately ignore the last part of my post? It seems odd that you'd pick an example that is unreasonable in order to counter the general idea.

Last edited by Belz...; Today at 11:40 AM.
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:22 PM   #2045
fagin
Philosopher

Well you can look up the term to get more info, but I'm concerned by the back-assward way in which laws are crafted and vetted in the EU, compared to the US or a parliamentary system. I think laws should be written by elected officials...
Written or passed?

Because MEPs are elected.
Old Today, 12:24 PM   #2046
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Written or passed?

Because MEPs are elected.
I did say 'written'.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:41 PM   #2047
fagin
Philosopher

Can't see that it makes a whole lot of difference if the legislation is drafted correctly. The important part is what is implemented, and by whom.

Perhaps laws drafted by 'experts' and debated and amended/approved by elected officials, are not that crazy.

As a matter of interest, most laws in the UK are drafted by the relevant department, then debated by committee before being voted on by parliament. So the EU method is not really foreign.

Probably avoids a lot of convoluted laws with a a myriad 'additions' and pork barrel stuff they seem to get in the USA.
Old Today, 12:53 PM   #2048
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
Did you read the main point, number 1, before reading the vague bolded exceptions bit in point 3?

Try to prevent free movement from an EU country unless you can prove the individual is a criminal, terrorist, or carrying some infectious disease, and you'll find yourself in a European court.
Not quite that simple. We moved from the UK to Greece, though we were verging on retirement and had no jobs to go to. We were entitled to stay here and buy a house here, but it was more complicated than that.

To get a residence permit we had to demonstrate that we had medical cover and adequate money in the bank, so as not to be a drain on the state. It was a few years later when MrsB hit retirement age that the reciprocal EU S1 system kicked in and she got automatic Greek NHS cover, and I got in too as her spouse.

Freedom of movement within the EU is a nice concept but much misunderstood. Your EHIC medical card, for example, only covers emergency treatment and has a limited life, as in our case. Renewing it requires proof of residency in your home country, unless you're a pensioner (then you might need it if you go back to visit your home country).
Old Today, 01:38 PM   #2049
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Can't see that it makes a whole lot of difference if the legislation is drafted correctly. The important part is what is implemented, and by whom.
My issue is that the people drafting the laws are unelected, so the population has essentially little power to directly influence laws. They can only block them.

Quote:
Perhaps laws drafted by 'experts' and debated and amended/approved by elected officials, are not that crazy.
It's not crazy. I just prefer it the other way around.

Quote:
As a matter of interest, most laws in the UK are drafted by the relevant department, then debated by committee before being voted on by parliament. So the EU method is not really foreign.

Probably avoids a lot of convoluted laws with a a myriad 'additions' and pork barrel stuff they seem to get in the USA.
Those are fair points.

Old Today, 01:49 PM   #2050
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
You were the one that posted "UK Border Agency can deny you entry to the country entirely at their discretion as far as I know." ...and you've now admitted that you didn't know! The UKBA can only deny entry when they have very good reasons and certainly not "entirely at their discretion."
Yes, the UKBA can deny you entry if they believe there is good reason to do so. The judgement on whether there is good reason to do so is at their discretion.

And no they don't have to be criminals. In fact as you yourself posted a criminal record alone isn't considered grounds to exclude someone. The grounds are “public policy, public health or public security”.

And of course as I said there are avenues to appeal that denial of entry. but you won't be in the country while you pursue them because you will have been denied entry.

You might remember that your UKIP pals were very annoyed that such powers were used in the case of Geert Wilders - oddly enough since floppy haired wankers is one area where the UK really has no need to import from the EU.
Old Today, 02:02 PM   #2051
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Well you can look up the term to get more info, but I'm concerned by the back-assward way in which laws are crafted and vetted in the EU, compared to the US or a parliamentary system. I think laws should be written by elected officials.
Oh I was aware of the term but whenever its raised the arguments are either incorrect or would no different/better in the UK post Brexit.

Laws are not typically written by elected officials in the UK either and neither Cabinet nor PM are elected by the people.

I mean its fine to point out that the EU system is not perfect but it's a joke to say that Brexit is somehow justified on the back of that when we are now seeing a government who scraped in thanks to FPTP voting and being propped up by a minor party of bigots they bought arguing amongst itself on which public schoolboy should get to decide what the policy should be on a decision made on the back of lies printed on a bus and told barefaced on national TV by people who would rather resign that face the reality of what they persuaded people to agree to all the time ignoring the reality that their policies are unworkable and vehemently denying the right of people to vote on whether to go ahead with any of this, or of devolved nations to decide their own futures.

The UK is a walking talking democratic deficit.
Old Today, 02:02 PM   #2052
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
And Cameron promised to do so, but despite the impetus of his party shedding damaging numbers of voters to UKIP, he never came close to his declared target, which reinforced the Leaver message that he couldn't because of the EU.

I frankly don't understand why that was. Perhaps he really didn't believe people would be daft enough to vote to leave.
He failed mainly because the targets were a nonsense that ignored the real demand for unskilled labour in several industries and the shortages of skilled labour in others. Cameron's issue was that he was so panicked that he kept trying to pander to the UKIP voters to win them back rather than tackle the misconceptions that fuelled their demands
Old Today, 02:19 PM   #2053
Belz...
Fiend God

Oh I was aware of the term but whenever its raised the arguments are either incorrect or would no different/better in the UK post Brexit.

Laws are not typically written by elected officials in the UK either and neither Cabinet nor PM are elected by the people.

I mean its fine to point out that the EU system is not perfect but it's a joke to say that Brexit is somehow justified on the back of that when we are now seeing a government who scraped in thanks to FPTP voting and being propped up by a minor party of bigots they bought arguing amongst itself on which public schoolboy should get to decide what the policy should be on a decision made on the back of lies printed on a bus and told barefaced on national TV by people who would rather resign that face the reality of what they persuaded people to agree to all the time ignoring the reality that their policies are unworkable and vehemently denying the right of people to vote on whether to go ahead with any of this, or of devolved nations to decide their own futures.

The UK is a walking talking democratic deficit.
That's all very fair. I just don't know that the EU can change its system without, you know, shutting down the EU and starting over under a new name.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics