ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags telepathy

Old 24th February 2017, 12:25 PM   #361
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
That's not the first time I have told the story, that's an abbreviated version. I remember telling about the voices in my head ages ago, and I said the same as I did in my recent post.
The spirits saying "help is coming from an unexpected source" (a few days before the draw) is not the same thing as "[the spirits] gave me the numbers a few days before the draw." If you told the story here differently in an earlier version than the one I've quoted from 2014, then your memory failed you in 2014, since your "abbreviated version" is, in fact, an alternate one.

I don't know why you're making such an issue of your memory anyway- that can be checked (at least as far as what you've said here), while your "telepathy from the spirits" is just a claim of a woo phenomenon from a woo source, and can't really be checked. If you believe it, that's fine. But don't try to make it a matter of falsifiable fact to be passed off as proven by your checkable memory.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 12:27 PM   #362
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

That's not the first time I have told the story, that's an abbreviated version. I remember telling about the voices in my head ages ago, and I said the same as I did in my recent post.
But it IS evidence that the story changes every time you tell it, and it IS evidence of the malleability of memory.
Old 24th February 2017, 12:30 PM   #363
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

I don't know how to link to this post but I copied and pasted it from, the thread ' going to a psychic medium party' post number 118 dated 11th October 2016

I have actually had some personal psychic perceptions, and although I did not develop as a medium I did have some evidential experiences. Here is one.

I was moaning to myself about having no money for a computer in 1998 and a female voice said in my head "help is coming from an unexpected source"
Later that week I felt a presence when I was picking the lottery numbers, and I felt guided to certain numbers. One hour before the lottery was drawn I picked up the ticket and said to myself maybe this ticket is worth a fortune, then though no and threw it down. At that moment the same female voice I had heard before said " You won".
The lottery was drawn an hour later and I won five numbers. I had never heard that voice before and have never heard it since, so the only time I did win the lottery I was told I would.
I won just enough money to buy a good computer and pay off my credit card.
I have tried to get the lady in my head to give me a big win, but in my heart I know she never will because that would be bad karma.
Incidentally if I am right and a spirit told me I would win the lottery it is evidence they can see into the future
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by Scorpion; 24th February 2017 at 12:32 PM.
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 12:53 PM   #364
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know how to link to this post but I copied and pasted it from, the thread ' going to a psychic medium party' post number 118 dated 11th October 2016
See that link in the top right of your post? The one labeled #363? See that? Right click it. From the options select "copy link", then just paste it anywhere. This applies to any post, yours, mine, anyone's.

I have actually had some personal psychic perceptions, and although I did not develop as a medium I did have some evidential experiences.
Nope. You have anecdotes. Anecdotes are not data.

Here is one.

I was moaning to myself about having no money for a computer in 1998 and a female voice said in my head "help is coming from an unexpected source"
Later that week I felt a presence when I was picking the lottery numbers, and I felt guided to certain numbers. One hour before the lottery was drawn I picked up the ticket and said to myself maybe this ticket is worth a fortune, then though no and threw it down. At that moment the same female voice I had heard before said " You won".
And this is different from your previous account where you claimed the requisite numbers were explicitly stated.

The lottery was drawn an hour later and I won five numbers.
Which is not terribly rare.

I had never heard that voice before and have never heard it since,
So this voice clearly cares not a whit about you.

so the only time I did win the lottery I was told I would.
Except according to your own accounting, you were told no such thing at all.

I won just enough money to buy a good computer and pay off my credit card.
Carrying CC debt is foolish. It has the most punitive interest rates. I don't even have a credit card.

I have tried to get the lady in my head to give me a big win, but in my heart I know she never will because that would be bad karma.
Karma does not exist.

Incidentally if I am right and a spirit told me I would win the lottery it is evidence they can see into the future
Apart from the fact that you did not win the lottery.
Old 26th February 2017, 05:42 PM   #365
corta
New Blood

so, does anybod know how to cure real thought-broadcasting aside from taking antipsychotics which might not work? what do you think spiritual healing? anyone know any good ones? are someone like Alani Santos and Jana Troniiti(not sure about the spelling, Тройння in Russian) trustworthy?
corta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2017, 05:53 PM   #366
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by corta View Post
so, does anybod know how to cure real thought-broadcasting aside from taking antipsychotics which might not work?
The members here are not qualified to offer medical opinions.

Your rational path is to first obtain a referral from a general practitioner, to see a registered psychiatrist. That may or may not eliminate mental illness as the cause of your delusions. Your aim is to be systematic and eliminate all alternative reasons for the problem.

I propose that you stop posting until you have done this.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2017, 09:39 PM   #367
jmontecillo01
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by corta
so, does anybod know how to cure real thought-broadcasting aside from taking antipsychotics which might not work? what do you think spiritual healing
I suffer from schiz-affective. My first episode happened way back 1988.

The first thing you will have to do is to accept that there might be a problem. Once you've accepted that you are suffering from mental ilness, you begin to develop an insight to it.

It took several years before the right medication was found for me. Prior to that, Almost every few months, I get sent to a hospital.

The other thing that help is to question what you are experiencing. If it defies the laws of physics (and reality), then it is happening only in your head.

With regards to spiritual healing, I can tell you now that it does not work. Part of my delusion is the belief that I was chosen by God to be his messenger. What I did then, is to search for God. Because of that search, I ended up in JREF, and I begun to understand that there is no way I can prove that a god exists. Becoming an agnostic is the best thing as I begin to question all that I experience.

Yes, I too suffered from thought broadcasting. The difference is that I made sure nobody knows me. I was afraid that if they found out who is putting those thoughts in their head, I would be in danger. I haven't had a relapse for a long time now, except for a short period (three days). What happened is that I joined a discussion (about god) and the "God's messenger" delusion came back. It is good that some of the posts made me question what I am experiencing.

What I can advice is for you to do a unbiased research about schizophrenia. Learn to accept that there might be a problem. Discuss what you are experiencing with your doctor. Take your medications. I know that there could be some side effects. If it does not work, discuss your options with your doctor.

Remember that there is nothing to be ashamed of. Schiz is an illness like any other illness. It can happen to anybody. It is of no fault of yours if you suffer from it.
jmontecillo01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2017, 04:05 AM   #368
Greebo
Scholar

Originally Posted by jmontecillo01 View Post
respectful snip

Remember that there is nothing to be ashamed of. Schiz is an illness like any other illness. It can happen to anybody. It is of no fault of yours if you suffer from it.
This is true of any mental illness - IIRC around 20% of us will have some form of mental issue in their lives - in my own family this is higher, most of us have, from attempted suicide (my spouse) to anxiety (one of my children). The one thing that came out of these was jmontecillo01 advice, acknowledge it. And never, ever be ashamed of it.

I shall now dismount my hobby horse and let the forum resume normal business.
Greebo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2017, 08:00 AM   #369
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

so, does anybod know how to cure real thought-broadcasting aside from taking antipsychotics which might not work? what do you think spiritual healing? anyone know any good ones? are someone like Alani Santos and Jana Troniiti(not sure about the spelling, Тройння in Russian) trustworthy?
corta, Hooray, you posted. See post 235 on this thread for my views,

which is how I overcame broadcasting. Firstly I had to have complete rest.
I had to give up work and have no pressure on me for many months.
I wish you would say more about your experiences.
As I said I did not take any medication for years and years, and only long after the broadcasting episode in mid life did I finally go on 15mg of abilify, which does stabilize me. I took it because I was drinking too much to relieve my nerves, and causing myself more harm from drink.

As for spiritual healing, pretty well every spiritualist church has healing every week. You may need to try several healers to find a good one, and if you do then you will probably feel the healing uplifting you.

The healing works on your etheric body and chakras and it can make all the difference. Although nobody else on this forum is likely to believe that.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2017, 08:08 AM   #370
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

corta, are you located in Russia? because I know nothing about spiritualism in Russia. I live in England and there are around 400 spiritualist churches in the country. There are also spiritualist churches in America. But Russia is another story.
Please tell us more about yourself and your experiences .
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 27th February 2017, 08:17 AM   #371
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

.......The healing works on your etheric body and chakras and it can make all the difference. Although nobody else on this forum is likely to believe that.
I'll give it a go. Just point me to your evidence.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2017, 08:22 AM   #372
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

so, does anybod know how to cure real thought-broadcasting aside from taking antipsychotics which might not work?
Decades of careful and methodical research has established beyond all reasonable doubt that there is no such thing as telepathy. There are many treatments for the false belief that one is broadcasting one's thoughts, the unfortunate people who experience this distressing symptom usually need to try several to find the one that works best for them.

Quote:
what do you think spiritual healing?
Again, decades of careful and methodical research have established beyond all reasonable doubt that there is no such thing as spiritual healing. There are, however, many ways in which people can inadvertently fool themselves into believing otherwise, e.g. the placebo effect.
Old 27th February 2017, 08:36 AM   #373
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I'll give it a go. Just point me to your evidence.
My evidence is subjective and I can only tell you my experiences.

In my youth I felt feelings like fire flowing through my body in various locations. Then one day I picked up a book called alternative London and saw a picture of a yogi with the seven main chakras illustrated. I recognised them as the locations of the feelings of fire. I also felt other strange things like my skin was covered with floating electrical spiders webs and any sudden sound would make my skin feel like the web had been plucked and I would jump.

This insight of recognising the chakras set me on the search for knowledge and I attended spiritualist churches. I also went to many trance lectures by famous mediums at the spiritualist association in London during the 1970s.

Eventually I was told my etheric body was loose and my chakras were misaligned. After some time the healing cured me of the problem of chakras, and I became able to study and worked for ten years as an electronics repair man. I took no medication during that time.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 27th February 2017, 08:45 AM   #374
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

My evidence is subjective and I can only tell you my experiences.........
I didn't read the rest. I said evidence. If this phenomena exists, there will be evidence for it. I'm not really interested in your stories about it. I'm sure you know the difference between anecdotes and evidence, don't you?
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2017, 04:08 AM   #375
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I didn't read the rest. I said evidence. If this phenomena exists, there will be evidence for it. I'm not really interested in your stories about it. I'm sure you know the difference between anecdotes and evidence, don't you?
Given that to every request for evidence we get back anecdotes the evidence would indicate he doesn't.
Old 28th February 2017, 06:00 AM   #376
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
My evidence is subjective and I can only tell you my experiences.

Eventually I was told my etheric body was loose and my chakras were misaligned. After some time the healing cured me of the problem of chakras, and I became able to study and worked for ten years as an electronics repair man. I took no medication during that time.
However, as you have pointed out, this healing did not cure you of the urge to kill your co-workers, to brandish a replica gun, to do something that got you accused of flashing, or to experience multiple hallucinations.
Do you really think that you should be recommending this "healing" to corta? Even if your chakras were realigned and your etheric body fitting correctly, you surely must see that you were some way removed from possession of good mental health.
Old 28th February 2017, 07:00 AM   #377
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Medically speaking, you don't have an "etheric body", only stools are described as "loose" and you have no "chakras" to be "aligned", "misaligned" or "realigned" or to be any sort of "problem" that needs to be "cured". There are only a few of those so-called "cures" out there and I am familiar with most of them. Which particular one did you fall for?
Old 28th February 2017, 08:05 AM   #378
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Instead of curing real thought broadcasting, I would suggest that one find a good partner and go to a place like Las Vegas, then use real thought broadcasting to make a bunch of money as the best mentalist performance act in all of history.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2017, 08:05 AM   #379
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Since there are no real/actual spiritual healers it is safe to say there are no good ones. All the claimed ones do not accomplish any real things so they are not good at same!!!! More precisely, the only thing they may accomplish is providing false hope and delaying their victims from trying real physicians - thus shortening their victims lives!!!!!

There really is no thought broadcasting other than by speech into a microphone.

Hope this helps!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2017, 09:27 AM   #380
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Since there are no real/actual spiritual healers it is safe to say there are no good ones. All the claimed ones do not accomplish any real things so they are not good at same!!!! More precisely, the only thing they may accomplish is providing false hope and delaying their victims from trying real physicians - thus shortening their victims lives!!!!!
I could sometimes feel spiritual healing, and I would be uplifted for days after.

In the 1960s I saw Harry Edwards perform healing on stage and some people crippled with arthritis appeared to get more mobility than they had before the healing.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 28th February 2017, 09:45 AM   #381
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

Go to the British Museum in London and there is an old statue of the Buddha with some of the chakras marked on it. In particular there are little flowers in the palms of the hands indicating the minor chakras that are not often mentioned. I used them to channel healing energy to myself. Long before I saw any documentation about the minor chakras I was using them to heal myself. I knew there were chakras in the temples because I could feel them, and many years later I got the book ' Hands of light' by Barbara Brennan which has the 14 minor chakras on a diagram. Thus confirming what I already knew from experience.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 28th February 2017, 09:57 AM   #382
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Go to the British Museum in London and there is an old statue of the Buddha with some of the chakras marked on it......
But I asked for evidence, not diagrams.

If you go into another room in the same museum you can see Egyptian mummies with adjacent pots which hold their dried up innards. It was the only way to get to the afterlife, you know. Presumably you're going to have yourself mummified when you die? But how will that work with you also needing to be burned on a funeral pyre alongside the Ganges to get to the afterlife? You also need to be buried in your longship with all your possessions, as well as being buried in a megalithic stone chamber.

Evidence: something that proves that Chakras exist (and need realigning), NOT something that demonstrates that some ancient peoples invented chakras as a way of trying to explain something they didn't understand.
Old 28th February 2017, 12:40 PM   #383
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Eventually I was told my etheric body was loose and my chakras were misaligned.

Let me Tighten those Chakras for you
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2017, 01:48 PM   #384
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
So that's what they are calling it these days!!!!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2017, 01:50 PM   #385
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I could sometimes feel spiritual healing, and I would be uplifted for days after.

In the 1960s I saw Harry Edwards perform healing on stage and some people crippled with arthritis appeared to get more mobility than they had before the healing.
FTFY by embiggening and coloring the most important word in the post

Wash this space!

Old 11th March 2017, 12:22 AM   #386
stargazer0519
Scholar

Thought Transmission

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
I am trying to transmit my thoughts right now.

It's why this post is written in English.
I have received your thoughts! Ahh! We have special abilities!

*high fives*
stargazer0519 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2017, 12:25 AM   #387
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Go to the British Museum in London and there is an old statue of the Buddha with some of the chakras marked on it. In particular there are little flowers in the palms of the hands indicating the minor chakras that are not often mentioned. I used them to channel healing energy to myself. Long before I saw any documentation about the minor chakras I was using them to heal myself. I knew there were chakras in the temples because I could feel them, and many years later I got the book ' Hands of light' by Barbara Brennan which has the 14 minor chakras on a diagram. Thus confirming what I already knew from experience.
Cool anecdata bro!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal