ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Arlene Gaal , bigfoot , cryptozoology , flatwoods monster , Ken Chaplin , lake worth monster , loch ness monster , panthers , Trunko

Old 24th November 2015, 09:50 AM   #3081
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Cheeseburgers no, Unicat can't haz
they lay him low and give him the gaz
jealous he be of his mate The Taz
who twirls about with general snazz
scarfing burgers, fries, and all that jazz

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2015, 10:11 AM   #3082
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

That's just Bruce, he is to Bigfoot what Battle-Cat is to He-Man.

Many people suggested that Bruce could in fact be spotted hiding just behind some shrubbery in the PGF. Many people have also claimed to see Gimlin crouching down watching the scene unfold, but this was just Ronald the Poacher, who understands that the exceedingly rare Bruce can fetch up to $125K at auction, (I haven't verified those numbers, but NL has, they're solid.)

The horn isn't a natural feature, btw, Patty added it for dramatic effect.

They say that Bruce can only be tamed by a man who is strong-willed, pure of heart and fond of liquorice.

Patty.
The Last Sasquatch,
and her faithful steed, Bruce.

This tag-team is tight,
but Patty's costume is loose.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2015, 11:05 AM   #3083
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Do you know who separates out the green M&Ms for Unicat?

Eddie and Alex Van Halen.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2015, 11:05 AM   #3084
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Devil worm burrows into the foreheads of unsuspecting mammals.
Old 25th November 2015, 03:08 PM   #3085
Turgor
Critical Thinker

I know Unicat makes more sense, but what about Caticorn?
Turgor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2015, 04:26 PM   #3086
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Turgor View Post
I know Unicat makes more sense, but what about Caticorn?
Well, I ain't re-writing all that crap.

Tom McGuane
Old 25th November 2015, 05:38 PM   #3087
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

You thought the unicat was bad,
but you've not met that lass and lad
who'll make you rue that you were born:
The children of the caticorn!

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2015, 06:06 PM   #3088
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Deleted

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2015, 06:09 PM   #3089
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I was probably the last person to read this, but I'm going to post it anyway:

(New Photos May Show Bigfoot’s Cloaking Ability)

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2015/1...aking-ability/

One of the comments from below the article:

"I'm surprised none of my images of Sasquatch stalking deer posted on my Facebook page with public access, have garnered near as much attention that these inferior images and videos receive. Always inconclusive, with a question mark at the end, of it. I don't need a game cam or other devices rigged up to deceive something far superior in its cognizance of our motives, when they are open, and responsive to my honesty towards them."

No real reason for posting that, I just found it to be worth a chuckle.

Last edited by Gilbert Syndrome; 25th November 2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 25th November 2015, 06:11 PM   #3090
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
You thought the unicat was bad,
but you've not met that lass and lad
who'll make you rue that you were born:
The children of the caticorn!
Caticorn was unique,
of that I can speak,
but what of the Catbird?
On his forehead, a beak!

Old 25th November 2015, 07:15 PM   #3091
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

The mystic's vision meets with wonder,
New stars the firmament adorn,
As dreary sense is torn asunder
Under the sign of Caticorn.

bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2015, 08:49 PM   #3092
Jango
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
Cryptozoology, unlike zoology, depends primarily on eyewitness accounts. Some cryptozoology enthusiasts understand that eyewitness testimonies are not definitive because of the potential problems inherent in such accounts. Other advocates accept, at least provisionally, sightings, and others accept a body of eyewitness stories as surely valid.

I would like to examine various aspects of particular cryptid or unknown animal sightings to make a general argument that skeptics are rightfully doubting of eyewitness testimonies when it comes to the extraordinary claims of undocumented, unknown or out-of-place large animals.

My first example relates to the alleged lake "monster" said to live in British Columbia's Lake Okanagan and nick-named "Ogopogo."

In 1989, Ken Chaplin and his father and daughter thought they saw Ogopogo entering an inlet area on the lake. Chaplin said he was between 75ft to 100ft away from the creature. He "saw [the creature's] features very clearly" and it was "snake or lizard like" with "no fur or hair;" his sister saw a long snake-like body over 15ft long.

Sounds like Chaplin and family had a typical Ogopogo sighting. He had no question as to what he saw. Unfortunately for Ogopogo lore, Chaplin not only saw the creature, he video recorded it too--twice. What he recorded was obviously not an anomalous lake serpent/monster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyb-h...feature=relmfu

Even after his recording was shown to represent a common animal, he and his sister refused to accept the mundane verdict.

Enter the local Ogopogo "expert," Arlene Gaal, to also deny that Chaplin recorded a common animal and to state he filmed a "miniature" Ogopogo.

This is a straightforward demonstration that people don't always see what they believe they are seeing, and that cryptozoological "experts" can be blind to the obvious.
Would this be an example of the highlighted that constitutes empirical evidence that can be legitimized and authenticated?
Jango is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2015, 02:00 AM   #3093
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Jango View Post
No, because the discovery of new species is not cryptozoology.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cryptozoology
Cryptozoology is about legendary creatures, or those whose existence is disputed.
Discovering, documenting and classifying new species is actual science.
Old 26th November 2015, 02:03 AM   #3094
Jango
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
No, because the discovery of new species is not cryptozoology.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cryptozoology
Cryptozoology is about legendary creatures, or those whose existence is disputed.
Discovering, documenting and classifying new species is actual science.
'Hidden animals' was mentioned when I Googled the definition.
Jango is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2015, 05:23 AM   #3095
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
'Hidden animals' was mentioned when I Googled the definition.
That is the etymology. The actual definition follows:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Cryptozoology (from Greek κρυπτός, kryptos, "hidden" + zoology; literally, "study of hidden animals") is a pseudoscience involving the search for animals whose existence has not been proven due to lack of evidence.
Note the terms 'pseudoscience' and 'lack of evidence'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptozoology
Old 26th November 2015, 08:11 AM   #3096
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

No.

Tom McGuane
Old 26th November 2015, 08:55 AM   #3097
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Fundamentally it is the sharing of existing folk tales and the creation of new folk tales. I don't know if that is even "fake science" (pseudoscience).
Old 26th November 2015, 10:55 AM   #3098
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Fundamentally it is the sharing of existing folk tales and the creation of new folk tales. I don't know if that is even "fake science" (pseudoscience).
Modern folklore, imo.

Old 29th November 2015, 05:56 PM   #3099
Jodie
Philosopher

I'm trying to recall during my time on the BFF, which is my only experience with with those that place faith in sightings, or their own experiences, as to whether anyone ever claimed that it constituted empirical evidence.

Mulder was the only one I remember that I ever spoke with that made that claim. Another is someone y'all quote often, but I don't remember talking to him, and that is DWI, at least I think that's his screen name. The scammers like Dyer, the MABRC and their petrified bigfoot foot, etc....That hardly constitutes the entire fan club of cryptozoology as claiming they have empirical evidence for what they claim to believe or know.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2016, 05:11 PM   #3100
jerrywayne
Muse

Boggy Creek Monster

Monster Talk podcast on the "Fouke Monster."

http://www.skeptic.com/podcasts/monstertalk/16/06/08/
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2016, 05:59 PM   #3101
jerrywayne
Muse

Loveland Frogman

Here is an interesting article on Snopes about the Loveland Frogman.

http://www.snopes.com/2016/08/05/lov...spotted-again/

Part of the problem with "cryptid" sighting reports relate to how bungled or mixed up the accounts may be as reported and over time. Consider the following from the article:

"[Officer] Matthews explained that the first officer to encounter the purported Frogman, Ray Shockey, called him one night in the March of 1972* after spotting something strange on Riverside Drive/Kemper Road near the Totes boot factory and the Little Miami River.

"'Naturally, I didn't believe him … but I could somehow tell from his demeanor that he did see something,' Matthews said.

"Later that month, Matthews was driving on Kemper Road near the boot factory when he saw something run across the road. However, it wasn't walking upright and didn't climb over the guardrail as the urban legend of the Frogman goes. The creature crawled under the guardrail. Matthews said he 'had no clue what it was.'

"'I know no one would believe me, so I shot it,' he said.

"Matthews recovered the creature's body and put it in his trunk to show Shockey. He said Shockey said it was the creature he had seen, too.

"It was a large iguana about 3 or 3.5 feet long, Matthews said. The animal was missing its tail, which is why he didn't immediately recognize it.

"Matthews said he figured the iguana had been someone's pet and then either got loose or was released when it grew too large. He also theorized that the cold-blooded animal had been living near the pipes that released water that was used for cooling the ovens in the boot factory as a way to stay warm in the cold March weather.

"'The thing was half dead anyway when I shot it,' he said."
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 07:58 AM   #3102
jerrywayne
Muse

The Soay Island Sea Monster

New article by Darren Naish:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...nster-of-1959/
Old 28th March 2017, 07:08 AM   #3103
jerrywayne
Muse

The Thylacinus

New sightings of the Tasmanian Devil:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...cid=spartandhp
Old 28th March 2017, 07:56 AM   #3104
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
Tasmanian Devil:
Tiger, not Devil.
Old 28th March 2017, 09:38 AM   #3105
Drewbot
Philosopher

So it looks like biologists are not expecting to find a Thylacine, but are using this infusion of money to fund a survey of Cape York fauna, under the guise of Thylacine search.

That's what I read into that.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2017, 01:39 PM   #3106
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
So it looks like biologists are not expecting to find a Thylacine, but are using this infusion of money to fund a survey of Cape York fauna, under the guise of Thylacine search.

That's what I read into that.
It sounds that way, but it does appear that, despite their doubts, they intend to look seriously for it, just noting that the research will be useful either way.

Old 28th March 2017, 02:37 PM   #3107
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Tiger, not Devil.
The Devil was seen frequently on Saturday mornings in the past...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2017, 03:53 PM   #3108
Jodie
Philosopher

Thylacine Truthers?
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2017, 05:06 AM   #3109
Drewbot
Philosopher

There has been no doubt that large pythons could kill adult humans.

However, within herpetology circles, it has been promoted that no python could actually eat one of the humans it has killed. Even National Geographic has said on it's shows that the jaws could not extend beyond the shoulders.

There was a show a few years ago, where a man in a metal suit 'attempted' to get eaten without success.

Which brings me to this horrific article:
http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/28/villag...nside-6539420/

It could very disturbing to some people, but it seems to show an adult human consumed by a large reticulated python.

Parcher? Do you think this is legit? I think it's the real deal. Once they found him, they stopped the procedure to call the authorities is what it looks like to me.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2017, 06:58 AM   #3110
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It seems legit. I have seen nearly identical photos from about 15 years ago of a person removed from a python.

Indonesians are generally not big people. These pythons eat deer and pigs which are probably larger than humans.
Old 29th March 2017, 12:53 PM   #3111
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Thylacine Truthers?
According to this article the Night Parrot was rediscovered 4 years ago. https://www.theguardian.com/environm...e-in-100-years
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2017, 07:30 PM   #3112
Jodie
Philosopher

What's next? Megalodon?
Old 29th March 2017, 11:19 PM   #3113
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

What's next? Megalodon?
I vote for woolly mammoths. They could be hiding out in the woods right now, along with the bigfoots. Clever beasts. They'd be more common but they prefer a diet of ivory billed woodpeckers.

Old 29th March 2017, 11:22 PM   #3114
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

What's next? Megalodon?
What you didn't see one of those in a past life too?

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeBentley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2017, 11:24 PM   #3115
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Smilodon, footie's house cat.

Tom McGuane
Old 29th March 2017, 11:24 PM   #3116
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
According to this article the Night Parrot was rediscovered 4 years ago. https://www.theguardian.com/environm...e-in-100-years
Rediscovered in a new area, 4 years ago.
There had been an earlier sighting in 1979, with a dead specimen found in 1990, confirming that the bird was still extant.

The 2013 sighting by Young is contentious, as he has a track record of "finding" extinct/rare birds but offering up little evidence (the Night Parrot included), e.g., "Young is not notifying state or federal authorities of the identity of the private grazing property where he found the birds. He insists that the conservation of the night parrot is his primary concern and he intends to raise at least $2 million so the property can be managed privately. Rights to his photographs and video footage are up for sale."

He is probably most famous for his 2006 claim that he had discovered a new species, the Blue-fronted fig parrotWP. There are serious doubts about the photo he finally provided, there was evidence of Photoshopping. He has not produced any physical evidence for this bird in the intervening 11 years, it seems.

Yes despite that, it seems that the Night Parrot is indeed extant.
It live in actual, remote, uninhabited (by white fellahs) and massive areas in the middle of nowhere in Australia. Not quite the same as other sightings of Bigfoot in suburbia and plesiosaurs in Loch Ness.

I'm not holding my breath on the Thylacine sightings though.
Very sceptical on that given the "evidence" presented so far. Nearly as bad as that for the Ivory-billed Woodpecker. Similar conservation acquisitions were made for its proposed habit too, I remember, and not a bird found in 10(?) years.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2017, 08:16 PM   #3117
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
What you didn't see one of those in a past life too?
Must have come up on me from behind.
Old 3rd April 2017, 02:48 PM   #3118
jerrywayne
Muse

Tiger, not Devil.
Correcto. A habit, no doubt, pairing Tasmanian with Devil, rather than Tiger.
Old 3rd April 2017, 07:15 PM   #3119
EHocking
Philosopher

Night Parrot

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
...Yes despite that, it seems that the Night Parrot is indeed extant.
It live [sic] in actual, remote, uninhabited (by white fellahs) and massive areas in the middle of nowhere in Australia. Not quite the same as other sightings of Bigfoot in suburbia and plesiosaurs in Loch Ness.
PhD student Nick Leseberg’s passion for the night parrot, a cryptic and nocturnal species from arid Australia, has won him one of two inaugural environmental fellowships from the Australian Academy of Science.

Mr Leseberg from UQ’s School of Earth and Environmental Sciences has won has won a Max Day Environmental Science Fellowship Award, valued at almost $19,000, to study night parrots...
After the parrot’s rediscovery, Bush Heritage Australia quickly established Pullen Pullen Reserve in western Queensland to protect that population of birds...
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 06:41 PM   #3120
carlitos
"más divertido"

Peruvian Jungle Puppies!

https://apple.news/Ab4Go383VRIChFuFlOxIa-g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal