ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags telepathy , telepathy test

Reply
Old 18th September 2016, 10:07 PM   #81
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
Perhaps I'm going about this the wrong way, These tests are designed to be way too fair.
What is needed is a totally lopsided test for Michel.

OK Michel I am think of one of these TWO numbers, Try to guess which one I have picked.


Is it:

A: 1


or

B: >>2<<
It is tempting to answer "2". However, you could have set up a trap. And you provided no MD5 hash (or other kind of hash) about your actual choice.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2016, 11:35 PM   #82
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,713
Michel, could you answer this directly, please. Why won't you run the test that Kid Eager has set up for you?
__________________
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2016, 11:44 PM   #83
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,477
What I don't get is why someone who could either detect lies or project thoughts is wasting time on a forum. If I could do either one of these things I would keep my mouth shut and move to Vegas where I would make a fortune at poker. I would almost never make the wrong move.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 12:01 AM   #84
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 25,926
Michel, your reasoning is muddled.
In fact, it is so muddled that you are unable to see that it is muddled.
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 01:42 AM   #85
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Michel, could you answer this directly, please. Why won't you run the test that Kid Eager has set up for you?
Kid Eager did send me a word. However, I don't think his method
Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
Here is my Telepathy Test:

Below are 100 words. I will randomly select a word and tell Michel what that word is via PM. He will circle that word 4 times and stare at it. I will invite responses.

Here are the 100 words, in groups of 5x2:
...
is, in any way, an improvement over mine (instead of lecturing me about the so-called right way of conducting a test, I would rather see him participating in one of my tests, because he did provide a quality answer in my second test here). In his test, people are supposed to select one word out of 100 (the one I "circled four times and stared at"), but I think (based on a experience of several years in telepathy testing) it is simply very unlikely that anyone is going to do that accurately and seriously, it is too difficult (it is easier, both technically and psychologically, to select out of 4 than to select out of 100, because more information is provided to you. With such a large pool of possible responses, the test is almost a free response test.).

In addition, there is a blatant lack of security, from my point of view, because he could send the target word to a dozen of his friends. Because he knows the word, he cannot participate. And he said "I will invite responses.", that too doesn't make much sense to me. If I am supposed to circle the word four times, I am the one who should be able to say:"All right, I am done, please start posting your responses" (btw, he didn't say I had to write his word, so was I supposed to circle it using Microsoft Paint or some other image editor? Not clear.)
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 02:04 AM   #86
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 25,275
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
[...] I think (based on a experience of several years in telepathy testing) it is simply very unlikely that anyone is going to do that accurately and seriously, it is too difficult [...]
That's the point. It's too difficult to guess, so the only way anyone will get the right answer is if you successfully broadcast it to them by telepathy. If you don't believe you can do that, then you should definitely avoid Kid Eager's test.

Dave
__________________
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 02:37 AM   #87
Kid Eager
Philosopher
 
Kid Eager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,265
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Kid Eager did send me a word. However, I don't think his method

is, in any way, an improvement over mine (instead of lecturing me about the so-called right way of conducting a test, I would rather see him participating in one of my tests, because he did provide a quality answer in my second test here). In his test, people are supposed to select one word out of 100 (the one I "circled four times and stared at"), but I think (based on a experience of several years in telepathy testing) it is simply very unlikely that anyone is going to do that accurately and seriously, it is too difficult (it is easier, both technically and psychologically, to select out of 4 than to select out of 100, because more information is provided to you. With such a large pool of possible responses, the test is almost a free response test.).

In addition, there is a blatant lack of security, from my point of view, because he could send the target word to a dozen of his friends. Because he knows the word, he cannot participate. And he said "I will invite responses.", that too doesn't make much sense to me. If I am supposed to circle the word four times, I am the one who should be able to say:"All right, I am done, please start posting your responses" (btw, he didn't say I had to write his word, so was I supposed to circle it using Microsoft Paint or some other image editor? Not clear.)
Pathetic evasion. If these were truly your concerns, all you had to do was ask.
I refuse to have anything further to do with such blatant dishonesty.

Goodbye.
__________________
What do Narwhals, Magnets and Apollo 13 have in common? Think about it....
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 02:58 AM   #88
stanfr
Graduate Poster
 
stanfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,771
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Kid Eager did send me a word. However, I don't think his method

is, in any way, an improvement over mine (instead of lecturing me about the so-called right way of conducting a test, I would rather see him participating in one of my tests, because he did provide a quality answer in my second test here). In his test, people are supposed to select one word out of 100 (the one I "circled four times and stared at"), but I think (based on a experience of several years in telepathy testing) it is simply very unlikely that anyone is going to do that accurately and seriously, it is too difficult (it is easier, both technically and psychologically, to select out of 4 than to select out of 100, because more information is provided to you. With such a large pool of possible responses, the test is almost a free response test.).

In addition, there is a blatant lack of security, from my point of view, because he could send the target word to a dozen of his friends. Because he knows the word, he cannot participate. And he said "I will invite responses.", that too doesn't make much sense to me. If I am supposed to circle the word four times, I am the one who should be able to say:"All right, I am done, please start posting your responses" (btw, he didn't say I had to write his word, so was I supposed to circle it using Microsoft Paint or some other image editor? Not clear.)
If you were to come to the sudden realization that you have no telepathic ability--that you've been deluding yourself with the idea--how would this affect your life? Would you be better or worse off with this understanding??
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 03:21 AM   #89
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
If you were to come to the sudden realization that you have no telepathic ability--that you've been deluding yourself with the idea--how would this affect your life? Would you be better or worse off with this understanding??
This is very unlikely to happen. Several people have told me I am a telepathic broadcaster (including even a psychiatrist, and on this forum), so I would have to consider the fact I have been deluded, not only by myself, but also by others. But I don't think I have.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 03:33 AM   #90
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 25,275
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Several people have told me I am a telepathic broadcaster (including even a psychiatrist, and on this forum), so I would have to consider the fact I have been deluded, not only by myself, but also by others.
And yet you've frequently claimed that large numbers of people lie to you regularly by denying that they can receive telepathic messages from you, so you're quite certain you've been deluded by others; in fact, since the broader consensus is that you aren't a telepathic transmitter, your belief requires that more people are lying to you. Since people are lying to you either way, that only leaves self-delusion as a hurdle.

Dave
__________________
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 03:39 AM   #91
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,985
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
This is very unlikely to happen. Several people have told me I am a telepathic broadcaster (including even a psychiatrist, and on this forum), so I would have to consider the fact I have been deluded, not only by myself, but also by others. But I don't think I have.
Name the several people on this forum who have agreed that you are telepathic.

I am willing to bet that if we check, we will find that it is almost exclusively due to your inability to detect sarcasm.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 03:45 AM   #92
stanfr
Graduate Poster
 
stanfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,771
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
This is very unlikely to happen. Several people have told me I am a telepathic broadcaster (including even a psychiatrist, and on this forum), so I would have to consider the fact I have been deluded, not only by myself, but also by others. But I don't think I have.
Humor me--would you be better or worse off, and why?
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 04:07 AM   #93
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,631
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
This is very unlikely to happen. Several people have told me I am a telepathic broadcaster (including even a psychiatrist, and on this forum), so I would have to consider the fact I have been deluded, not only by myself, but also by others. But I don't think I have.
As has already been said, you probably misunderstood the intention of the people who you believe told you you were telepathic.

But you still have the problem of approximately seven billion other people who in your worldview appear to be conspiring to pretend they don't hear your thought broadcasts.

Do you have any sense of the relative likelihood of these two scenarios;
1) A man has a condition which makes him imagine he broadcasts his thoughts.
2) Seven billion people conspire to lie to the man and pretend they can't hear him.

On scenario 2, have you considered the logistics of how you might go about organising such a thing?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 04:15 AM   #94
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,631
Michel, has anyone ever explicity told you they hear your thoughts, unprompted?

I'm not asking if you got the impression someone seemed to be reacting to something you thought. I'm asking if anyone has come right out and told you that they hear what you are thinking without their first being told that you believe you do.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 04:31 AM   #95
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Michel, has anyone ever explicity told you they hear your thoughts, unprompted?

I'm not asking if you got the impression someone seemed to be reacting to something you thought. I'm asking if anyone has come right out and told you that they hear what you are thinking without their first being told that you believe you do.
Yes, see for example the end of the opening post of my latest test: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...0#post11482370
I didn't know im (the member of Yahoo Answers), I didn't tell him I believed I was telepathic beforehand, I just asked my question, with total freedom for people to answer what they thought was the most correct.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 04:51 AM   #96
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,631
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Yes, see for example the end of the opening post of my latest test: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...0#post11482370
I didn't know im (the member of Yahoo Answers), I didn't tell him I believed I was telepathic beforehand, I just asked my question, with total freedom for people to answer what they thought was the most correct.
Michel you can't possibly claim that response was unprompted.

The person who claimed to "nearly always know what you are thinking" had just been asked by you "Do you sometimes have the odd impression of "knowing what I think" because of an unusual telepathy phenomenon?".

Now, seriously, has anyone ever told you without prompting that they can hear what you are thinking?

<edit> On reading back my own question I see that I made it slightly ambiguous when I tried to clarify it, by adding the notion of your expressing belief in thought broadcasting rather than merely raising it as a possibility, for which I apologise.

My question as originally stated is was what I intended to ask: Has anyone told you without prompting that they hear your thoughts?

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 19th September 2016 at 04:58 AM.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 04:59 AM   #97
stanfr
Graduate Poster
 
stanfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,771
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Yes, see for example the end of the opening post of my latest test: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...0#post11482370
I didn't know im (the member of Yahoo Answers), I didn't tell him I believed I was telepathic beforehand, I just asked my question, with total freedom for people to answer what they thought was the most correct.
He answered:

Well, I nearly always know what you think, but then I'm an excellent observer and smart as a whip

Which to everyone, except you, clearly means that he is talking about his ability to cold read people (in general, not just you) which is why he also adds:

On the other hand, a "cold read" of someone in the same room (particularly someone who's a bit, hmm, credulous) is a very easy trick to master.

His ignorance about the relevance of Ganzfeld notwithstanding, he is clearly telling you that telepathy is not a real phenomena.

Now, can you please answer my very straightforward hypothetical question?
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 10:38 AM   #98
JesseCuster
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 724
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
In his test, people are supposed to select one word out of 100 (the one I "circled four times and stared at"), but I think (based on a experience of several years in telepathy testing) it is simply very unlikely that anyone is going to do that accurately and seriously, it is too difficult (it is easier, both technically and psychologically, to select out of 4 than to select out of 100, because more information is provided to you.
It's even easier to select from 1 option. Perhaps you should only offer a single word. You don't need to figure out who's lying or not, you just need to discard any answers that don't agree with the single choice offered.

I think this test would have a 100% success rate and prove your psychic powers beyond a shadow of a doubt. Go for it.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 10:50 AM   #99
BTMR444
Student
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 30
Hypothetically, what would have to happen in order to change your mind and convince you that you are not telepathic? Have you sufficiently ruled out Schizophrenia as an explanation (given that you show many signs of this), if so how? Do you agree these are important questions to answer before proceeding with any more tests?

Last edited by BTMR444; 19th September 2016 at 11:42 AM.
BTMR444 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 11:07 AM   #100
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,712
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
It's even easier to select from 1 option. Perhaps you should only offer a single word. You don't need to figure out who's lying or not, you just need to discard any answers that don't agree with the single choice offered.

I think this test would have a 100% success rate and prove your psychic powers beyond a shadow of a doubt. Go for it.
This is the best suggestion of all! Assured outcome. Simplicity. How can it fail?
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 11:39 AM   #101
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
This is the best suggestion of all! Assured outcome. Simplicity. How can it fail?
...I knew you were going to say that...
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 11:50 AM   #102
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,830
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
It's even easier to select from 1 option. Perhaps you should only offer a single word. You don't need to figure out who's lying or not, you just need to discard any answers that don't agree with the single choice offered.

I think this test would have a 100% success rate and prove your psychic powers beyond a shadow of a doubt. Go for it.
I realise that this thread is very long and has indeed been split but let me give you the clip one version.

Sarcasm really, REALLY doesn't work and only plays into Michel's delusion.
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 11:51 AM   #103
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,363
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
It is tempting to answer "2". However, you could have set up a trap. And you provided no MD5 hash (or other kind of hash) about your actual choice.
Rubs eyes*


Odin give me the strength , For anyone wondering the number I was thinking of was, B: Two, 2 Dos, II
__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 12:23 PM   #104
Daylightstar
Philosopher
 
Daylightstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hic.
Posts: 8,035
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I realise that this thread is very long and has indeed been split but let me give you the clip one version.

Sarcasm really, REALLY doesn't work and only plays into Michel's delusion.
Basically, everything does
__________________
homeopathy homicidium
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2016, 01:37 PM   #105
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,712
Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
...I knew you were going to say that...
I'm not gonna say it; Michel may think he has competition!
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2016, 06:52 AM   #106
TheSapient
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 413
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Kid Eager did send me a word. However, I don't think his method

is, in any way, an improvement over mine (instead of lecturing me about the so-called right way of conducting a test, I would rather see him participating in one of my tests, because he did provide a quality answer in my second test here). In his test, people are supposed to select one word out of 100 (the one I "circled four times and stared at"), but I think (based on a experience of several years in telepathy testing) it is simply very unlikely that anyone is going to do that accurately and seriously, it is too difficult (it is easier, both technically and psychologically, to select out of 4 than to select out of 100, because more information is provided to you. With such a large pool of possible responses, the test is almost a free response test.).

In addition, there is a blatant lack of security, from my point of view, because he could send the target word to a dozen of his friends. Because he knows the word, he cannot participate. And he said "I will invite responses.", that too doesn't make much sense to me. If I am supposed to circle the word four times, I am the one who should be able to say:"All right, I am done, please start posting your responses" (btw, he didn't say I had to write his word, so was I supposed to circle it using Microsoft Paint or some other image editor? Not clear.)
This seems like the argument of a person who does not believe he can send thoughts to other people's minds.

I believe I can communicate with people using my voice. I'd gladly say a word from that list and invite people to tell me what they heard, because I actually believe my claim is true.

Hell, the fact that you are posting here instead of sending out your test via your claimed telepathy shows you know you can't do as you claim.
TheSapient is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2016, 06:53 AM   #107
kali1137
Critical Thinker
 
kali1137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Purgatory, PA
Posts: 397
I have read this from the beginning of this post, but didn't go searching for the origin so I may be off but let me see if I got this right. The OP is claiming to be able to project thoughts to people, however, no proof is offered and he refuses any reasonable tests that don't come from him and have more than 4 options.

If the possibility of thought projection was possible, wouldn't he just be able to will us all to believe him? I guess my problem here is that if such a power or talent as this existed, it would be easy to prove. Why not just prove it? The test suggested seems simple enough to me.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2016, 07:28 AM   #108
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 25,275
Originally Posted by TheSapient View Post
I believe I can communicate with people using my voice. I'd gladly say a word from that list and invite people to tell me what they heard, because I actually believe my claim is true.
I have a better idea. I believe I can communicate with people using the Internet. I will take Kid Eager's challenge. Kid Eager, please PM me one of the words on your list. I will then post the word on this forum, and invite other people to tell me which word I posted. That way, we can determine whether your challenge is capable of giving a positive result, or whether, as Michel H claims, it is too difficult a challenge for anyone to meet accurately and seriously.

Everybody on for this?

Dave
__________________
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2016, 09:02 AM   #109
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,712
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I have a better idea. I believe I can communicate with people using the Internet. I will take Kid Eager's challenge. Kid Eager, please PM me one of the words on your list. I will then post the word on this forum, and invite other people to tell me which word I posted. That way, we can determine whether your challenge is capable of giving a positive result, or whether, as Michel H claims, it is too difficult a challenge for anyone to meet accurately and seriously.

Everybody on for this?

Dave
I could handle that!
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2016, 09:06 AM   #110
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,712
Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
I have read this from the beginning of this post, but didn't go searching for the origin so I may be off but let me see if I got this right. The OP is claiming to be able to project thoughts to people, however, no proof is offered and he refuses any reasonable tests that don't come from him and have more than 4 options.

If the possibility of thought projection was possible, wouldn't he just be able to will us all to believe him? I guess my problem here is that if such a power or talent as this existed, it would be easy to prove. Why not just prove it? The test suggested seems simple enough to me.
Pretty much. Most of us are fairly sure (and there's been enough confession from Michel) that he is suffering from — well, I won't play doctor, so I will say only — a mental condition of some kind. He is quite earnest, as far as I can tell, and I think he cannot — I mean that literally — do otherwise.

It's tragic and sad and there seems nothing we can do.
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2016, 11:40 AM   #111
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
I have read this from the beginning of this post, but didn't go searching for the origin so I may be off ...
Welcome to this thread, kali1137. The opening post of this "logical thread" is here.

Moderators of this forum unfortunately have a policy of systematically merging threads, thereby creating giant threads that nobody (except those who have been following from the beginning) has the time or the courage to read, and making it difficult to know where a discussion really starts. I have already pointed out the drawbacks of this policy, but they don't seem to be paying much attention.

Last edited by Michel H; 20th September 2016 at 11:41 AM.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2016, 12:03 PM   #112
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,363
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Welcome to this thread, kali1137. The opening post of this "logical thread" is here.

Moderators of this forum unfortunately have a policy of systematically merging threads, thereby creating giant threads that nobody (except those who have been following from the beginning) has the time or the courage to read, and making it difficult to know where a discussion really starts. I have already pointed out the drawbacks of this policy, but they don't seem to be paying much attention.
The policy is in place when people keep making the same thread multiple times. In your case multiple times and failing multiple times.
__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2016, 12:14 PM   #113
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,713
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
........I have already pointed out the drawbacks of this policy, but they don't seem to be paying much attention.
You "pointing things out" lacks a little credibility when you are also the person who claims to have a ridiculous super-power that no-one else in the history of humanity has ever had, and, particularly, when every new thread you post is "Which of these 4 things am I thinking about?". If you hadn't confessed to mental health issues then your nonsense would be getting a much rougher ride.
__________________
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2016, 12:42 PM   #114
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I have a better idea. I believe I can communicate with people using the Internet. I will take Kid Eager's challenge. Kid Eager, please PM me one of the words on your list. I will then post the word on this forum, and invite other people to tell me which word I posted. That way, we can determine whether your challenge is capable of giving a positive result, or whether, as Michel H claims, it is too difficult a challenge for anyone to meet accurately and seriously.

Everybody on for this?

Dave
I'm in!
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2016, 01:19 PM   #115
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
The policy is in place when people keep making the same thread multiple times. In your case multiple times and failing multiple times.
I am actually very satisfied with the results of my latest extra-sensory perception test on this forum (here): there was one credible answer, given by cullennz, and it was correct. Cullennz (who seems to be in New Zealand) added later:
Quote:
Think it's pretty simple.

I'm psychic and chose to read Michael H's mind.

Took me a while as the signal was weak
(in AAH, date: 13th September 2016)
I have to admit, though, that I am less happy about many of the comments I read.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2016, 02:05 PM   #116
JesseCuster
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 724
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I am actually very satisfied with the results of my latest extra-sensory perception test on this forum (here): there was one credible answer, given by cullennz, and it was correct.
You're very happy with a test of your psychic abilities based upon a single cherry picked answer to a test that random guessing would give someone a 25% chance of getting it right?

If that constitutes a very satisfactory result, then you've set the bar so low you've buried it deep underground.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2016, 02:15 PM   #117
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
You "pointing things out" lacks a little credibility when you are also the person who claims to have a ridiculous super-power that no-one else in the history of humanity has ever had, and, particularly, when every new thread you post is "Which of these 4 things am I thinking about?". If you hadn't confessed to mental health issues then your nonsense would be getting a much rougher ride.
My latest thread on this forum: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=311990 is not of the "Which of these 4 things am I thinking about?" kind, although it is related to my telepathy testing.

And I don't think this "super-power" (the word you are using) is "ridiculous" (though there is no known historical precedent), because it doesn't seem to violate the known laws of physics: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...0#post10277440
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2016, 02:48 PM   #118
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
You're very happy with a test of your psychic abilities based upon a single cherry picked answer to a test that random guessing would give someone a 25% chance of getting it right?

If that constitutes a very satisfactory result, then you've set the bar so low you've buried it deep underground.
It was not cherry-picked, this was explained in the analysis of the results (and also in this post (part 2)).

You do not really expect an average schizophrenic to get comments like this (just three examples):
Originally Posted by cullennz
Think it's pretty simple.

I'm psychic and chose to read Michael H's mind.

Took me a while as the signal was weak
Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post
I am hearing Michel H's thoughts. ...
Originally Posted by The Moog View Post
...
I too am hearing Michel H's thoughts ...
And there is no objective reason to say these answers were "sarcastic". Some say this on this forum, probably just because they are desperately looking for pretexts to discredit, disqualify such statements.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2016, 03:07 PM   #119
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,631
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
... You do not really expect an average schizophrenic to get comments like this (just three examples):
Yes, I do. They're just the type of joke responses I'd expect to see in a thread where someone persistently claims somehow to know that people all over the world hear their thoughts.

Quote:
And there is no objective reason to say these answers were "sarcastic". Some say this on this forum, probably just because they are desperately looking for pretexts to discredit, disqualify such statements.
That's a very strange use of the word "probably". It suggests you think it more probable that a phenomenon which has never ever been demonstrated to exist is experienced by multiple members of the forum rather than that they were merely poking fun at the idea.

When someone gives a response that happens to suit your delusion, you discount the possibility that they were joking even when they themselves confirm that they were in fact joking.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2016, 03:23 PM   #120
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,985
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
My latest thread on this forum: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=311990 is not of the "Which of these 4 things am I thinking about?" kind, although it is related to my telepathy testing.

And I don't think this "super-power" (the word you are using) is "ridiculous" (though there is no known historical precedent), because it doesn't seem to violate the known laws of physics: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...0#post10277440
Your link goes to a thread of two posts neither of which is cullenz. That is credible to you?

Furthermore, when one tracks it down Cullenz was mocking you. As usual, you cannot detect that.

Grow up.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:10 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.