ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags telepathy , telepathy test

Reply
Old 18th November 2016, 03:55 PM   #281
p0lka
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 733
hedgehog.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2016, 04:10 PM   #282
fagin
Illuminator
 
fagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: As far away from casebro as possible.
Posts: 4,973
Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
hedgehog.
Spiny Norman?
__________________
There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2016, 06:29 PM   #283
fromdownunder
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,748
Originally Posted by fagin View Post
[snip] Norman?
Hey, that's my given name. Don't use it too often - you will wear it out.

Norm
__________________
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain


fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2016, 10:07 PM   #284
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,693
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I recently wrote one of the four words: "automobile", "boat", "plane", and "submarine" on my paper, and I surrounded it with a rough ellipse.
You already know that the above is a flawed experiment and you can dismiss results you don't like.

You claim you can use your telepathy to make animals do things and a perfect experiment exists for you to test yourself at home and if OK, then tell skeptics and repeat the same experiment as hard evidence.

Why are you refusing to undertake an experiment that can offer you clear results? Are you avoiding a proper test on purpose? Why is that? Do you now have doubts?
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 12:33 AM   #285
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
I thought more about this, simply as an exercise in how to allow Michel Hanck to undertake the SKEPP 25,000 Euro paranormal challenge, in his home country of Belgium, for the least cost.



A) Michel H can make animals do things.
B) Michel H will not undertake the test as he cannot find a credible human partner.


Here is a simple experiment that satisfies Michel's dilemma. A random exit is chosen and Michel makes the mouse walk through that exit. We repeat this over and over again until statistically significant results can be assessed.
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
...

You claim you can use your telepathy to make animals do things and a perfect experiment exists for you to test yourself at home and if OK, then tell skeptics and repeat the same experiment as hard evidence.

Why are you refusing to undertake an experiment that can offer you clear results? Are you avoiding a proper test on purpose? Why is that? Do you now have doubts?
Matthew, you said
Quote:
Michel H can make animals do things.
It seems to me that such a statement is ambiguous, and possibly misleading. Animals are not slaves who are going to obey all my "telepathic orders", and I never said such things. They are independent-minded, they like to be treated with respect, much like humans.

For example, a few years ago, I asked everybody to make noises of the type "2 + 1", like "teet!, teet!, ..., "teet". What I had then in mind was mostly automobile drivers (using their horns), and I did indeed hear a few such noises a few times, a little later. However, to my surprise, I heard birds participate in the experiment as well (crows, I think, perhaps twice). It was truly extraordinary, because their "2 + 1" noises sounded very different from ordinary bird cries, they sounded calm and "scientific" (birds usually do not sound like this).

A few minutes ago, about at the time I wrote "Animals are not slaves who are going to obey all my telepathic orders, and I never said such things. They are independent-minded, they like to be treated with respect, much like humans., I also heard an apparent bird reaction (in the form of three cries by a crow, in quick succession, I think, expressing interest, with also a certain form of "authority", by an animal which demands to be treated with respect).

An extraordinary event just happened in California (which, fortunately, was non-violent, nobody got injured this time), look here: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38034467
The BBC wrote:
Quote:
The public has been warned to not to touch the foam as it is a skin irritant.
,
with an extra "to" (number two seems to be sometimes associated with telepathy, this seems to be related to my birth date: 22/2, 22 February). This seems to be California's reaction to my latest test, for the English-speaking community.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 03:35 AM   #286
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,632
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
...


The BBC wrote:


,


with an extra "to" (number two seems to be sometimes associated with telepathy, this seems to be related to my birth date: 22/2, 22 February). This seems to be California's reaction to my latest test, for the English-speaking community.

There's an obvious joke about number two's association with telepathy but it would only distract from the amazing display of hyperconnection you just expressed. You think that the effect of your latest experiment was to cause an incident in California, which in turn caused a report to be written by a journalist in London, which contained an erroneous extra "to", which is a homonym of "two", which you see as significant because it matches the date you were born.

I am not a doctor, but when something screams "symptom" loudly enough, even I can spot it.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 05:33 PM   #287
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,693
Originally Posted by Michel H, previously
I have already tried to explain on this forum how I seem to be able to communicate telepathically with animals (cats, dogs, birds) near my building, but I am not sure you paid any attention. And this phenomenon is very easy to verify: for example, when a dog is barking, I talk to him/her from inside my apartment with a weak voice (so he/she cannot hear me normally, sensorially), and I study whether there is a reaction, a change (often there is).
You already clearly stated you can make animals do things.

Originally Posted by Michel H
It seems to me that such a statement is ambiguous, and possibly misleading. Animals are not slaves who are going to obey all my "telepathic orders", and I never said such things. They are independent-minded, they like to be treated with respect, much like humans.
Were you not telling the truth previously? Are you telling the truth today?

So, Michel Hanck, please explain to us how you assess "non-credible animals" against "credible animals?".
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 06:57 PM   #288
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
You already clearly stated you can make animals do things.



Were you not telling the truth previously? Are you telling the truth today?

So, Michel Hanck, please explain to us how you assess "non-credible animals" against "credible animals?".
For privacy reasons, it is perhaps better that you call me "Michel H", or just "Michel".

With animals, an obvious difference, compared with human beings, is that I never see texts written by them, together with a test answer, about which I have to ask myself:"Is this credible, or not?" Does this dog sound sincere when he tells me I wrote "automobile" on my paper? (I chose "automobile" here, just because it is the first on my list of possible choices). So the question of credibility does not arise. The one who cannot talk also cannot lie.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 02:17 AM   #289
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,844
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
For privacy reasons, it is perhaps better that you call me "Michel H", or just "Michel".

Person who claims to transmit their every thought to the entire world thinks that having their surname used violates their privacy?
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 06:05 AM   #290
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Person who claims to transmit their every thought to the entire world thinks that having their surname used violates their privacy?
"Violating my privacy" are perhaps strong words, but I prefer being on the secure side. I don't want that too many people begin asking themselves "where does this guy live?, mmmh, where is the phone book?" (or the online equivalent) and stuff.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 06:12 AM   #291
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,923
The ISF membership agreement can be found here:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=25744

Note rule 8 is:

Quote:
8. You may only post a Member's personal information if it is both publicly available and is relevant to the ongoing discussion.
The mods tend to come down hard on violations of this rule.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 06:55 AM   #292
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 17,009
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
"Violating my privacy" are perhaps strong words, but I prefer being on the secure side. I don't want that too many people begin asking themselves "where does this guy live?, mmmh, where is the phone book?" (or the online equivalent) and stuff.
Yet somehow, you actively want people to reach inside your brain via telepathy?

It's almost as if you don't believe in telepathy at all.

Besides, YOU made such information publicly available. Nobody else, only YOU.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 07:23 AM   #293
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,632
I don't recall Michel using his full name on this forum and even though he thinks we all hear what he's thinking, the rest of us don't and I for one am not comfortable with his being addressed by his real name here for no reason I can discern.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 07:57 AM   #294
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 17,009
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
I don't recall Michel using his full name on this forum and even though he thinks we all hear what he's thinking, the rest of us don't and I for one am not comfortable with his being addressed by his real name here for no reason I can discern.
Not on this forum, but elsewhere and publicly done, most often associated with a variation of his "telepathy" test. Nobody made him do it, nobody doxxed him, he just posted it in public. Game over.

Personally, I have never addressed him by full name because why should I? According to him, I can read his mind.

In any event, he has volunteered this information publicly. This is his problem, not mine.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 09:18 AM   #295
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,844
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
"Violating my privacy" are perhaps strong words, but I prefer being on the secure side. I don't want that too many people begin asking themselves "where does this guy live?, mmmh, where is the phone book?" (or the online equivalent) and stuff.
Point missed completely.
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 09:49 AM   #296
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,365
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
I don't recall Michel using his full name on this forum and even though he thinks we all hear what he's thinking, the rest of us don't and I for one am not comfortable with his being addressed by his real name here for no reason I can discern.


Yes he has, Below is a link where he shows his diploma containing his full name.


http://www.internationalskeptics.com...35#post9616035
__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-

Last edited by Nay_Sayer; 20th November 2016 at 09:50 AM.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 09:55 AM   #297
fagin
Illuminator
 
fagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: As far away from casebro as possible.
Posts: 4,973
Also posted a link to his thesis.

https://books.google.be/books/about/...ir_esc=y&hl=nl
__________________
There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 11:57 AM   #298
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16,656
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
"Violating my privacy" are perhaps strong words, but I prefer being on the secure side. I don't want that too many people begin asking themselves "where does this guy live?, mmmh, where is the phone book?" (or the online equivalent) and stuff.
It would invalidate the test of you writing down and concentrating on your phone number, certainly. But, then, you seem strangely reluctant to do that test.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 12:12 PM   #299
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 13,739
Is this a necessary discussion? Michel H would prefer not to have his surname used here, even though he provided a means for the other members to easily discern it. Okay by me: Michel H seems good enough for our purposes here.

Michel H- as you know I have generally opted out of this thread after concluding that I can't really help you, although wishing you success in finding a happy path in your life. But I am curious, have you discussed with your family, friends, doctors, advisors, etc. the fact that you periodically come to this forum to re-initiate your telepathy tests? I have found that aspect of this thread particularly mysterious- you appear to be very convinced of your own telepathic abilities yet you also appear to strongly feel the need to "test" them here every few weeks or months. This occurs even given that you almost always interpret the prior tests as affirming your abilities. What is your motivation as you see it? Do you see posting these tests as having improved your ability to deal with the negative thoughts that you have also expressed here? Indeed, if just posting these tests makes you happier, then that alone would make me feel happier when I encounter this thread.

In addition, perhaps if you explore more (in your own mind and with others) why you feel the need to periodically test your "abilities" (as you see them) it might help you better understand your "abilities." And this understanding, including any insecurities you might have about your "abilities," might prove a useful beginning for enhancing your ability to deal with/control them in a productive way.

These are just my ignorant musings- again I wish you the best in your life without knowing exactly how you might achieve that. But I do think that you (as anyone) should make certain to use the help and support of those around you who care about you.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 12:18 PM   #300
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 13,739
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
It would invalidate the test of you writing down and concentrating on your phone number, certainly. But, then, you seem strangely reluctant to do that test.
Or to test sending any large number (preferably random) that, if replicated by a recipient, would greatly validate the statistics of the test. I am certain that Michel H understands that, and his reluctance to do so is another aspect that he may wish to consider when thinking about why he sets up these tests and what that means in terms of how he views his "abilities".
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 12:45 PM   #301
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,844
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Is this a necessary discussion? Michel H would prefer not to have his surname used here, even though he provided a means for the other members to easily discern it. Okay by me: Michel H seems good enough for our purposes here.
The issue isn't Michel H's surname, it is the obvious contradiction between his attitude to it being used and his claim that everyone hears his thoughts.
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 12:58 PM   #302
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 17,009
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
The issue isn't Michel H's surname, it is the obvious contradiction between his attitude to it being used and his claim that everyone hears his thoughts.
Well exactly. If Michel H. really believed in his telepathy, then we already know everything about him as he describes it. On the contrary, and thus I think he actually knows he has no telepathy at all.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 05:34 PM   #303
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,693
Originally Posted by abaddon
Well exactly. If Michel H. really believed in his telepathy, then we already know everything about him as he describes it. On the contrary, and thus I think he actually knows he has no telepathy at all.
Yes, this is good logic.

Michel H, claims I am breaking his privacy by stating his full name while simultaneously: Michel H posts his degree with his full name and his thesis with his full name on our forum and his full name in his posts asking the same telepathy question on other forums......and through broadcasting his full name to us, as he claims, through telepathy.

This all suggests he is simply pulling our legs. and has no belief in telepathy.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 05:44 PM   #304
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,693
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
"I seem to be able to communicate telepathically with animals (cats, dogs, birds) near my building, ......... And this phenomenon is very easy to verify: for example, when a dog is barking, I talk to him/her from inside my apartment with a weak voice...and I study whether there is a reaction, a change (often there is)".
So why was this "easy to verify" three months ago, but not now?

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
With animals, an obvious difference, compared with human beings, is that I never see texts written by them, together with a test answer, about which I have to ask myself:"Is this credible, or not?"
You don't have to do you? You can make animals do things and we can observe the statistical results. That is your specific claim.

Can you still make animals do things, that can be verified: YES or NO?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mouse thinking.jpg (33.0 KB, 6 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 06:37 PM   #305
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 13,739
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Yes, this is good logic.

Michel H, claims I am breaking his privacy by stating his full name while simultaneously: Michel H posts his degree with his full name and his thesis with his full name on our forum and his full name in his posts asking the same telepathy question on other forums......and through broadcasting his full name to us, as he claims, through telepathy.

This all suggests he is simply pulling our legs. and has no belief in telepathy.
Perhaps he, like me, isn't always thinking logically?

I recognize that many here believe that he is pulling our legs, but I have experienced other individuals with similar beliefs as Michel H who are very sincere about their beliefs despite the obvious contradictions and failures when examined logically. Unlike telepathy, which is simply non-existent,people's minds are very complex and difficult to reach simple conclusions about.

Last edited by Giordano; 20th November 2016 at 06:42 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 07:11 PM   #306
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,693
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Perhaps he, like me, isn't always thinking logically? I recognize that many here believe that he is pulling our legs, but I have experienced other individuals with similar beliefs as Michel H who are very sincere about their beliefs despite the obvious contradictions and failures when examined logically.
I understand your point of view. If it were some person at a party or someone chatting at a bus stop, then I would leave the matter alone.

However, Michel H has specifically posted his claim on numerous skeptic forums and invited skeptics to pull his claim apart. It is his choice.

Additionally, Michel H does seem to be posting very specific defence mechanisms ( "Yes, but....") which suggests he knows the specific holes in his own claim. I think that that behaviour reduces the probability that he is sincere.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 07:51 PM   #307
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 17,009
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
I understand your point of view. If it were some person at a party or someone chatting at a bus stop, then I would leave the matter alone.

However, Michel H has specifically posted his claim on numerous skeptic forums and invited skeptics to pull his claim apart. It is his choice.

Additionally, Michel H does seem to be posting very specific defence mechanisms ( "Yes, but....") which suggests he knows the specific holes in his own claim. I think that that behaviour reduces the probability that he is sincere.
By his own criteria, all of HIS answers fail his own credibility tests.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2016, 01:59 AM   #308
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
...
Michel H, claims I am breaking his privacy by stating his full name while simultaneously: Michel H posts his degree with his full name...
Not simultaneously. I exceptionally posted my full name on this forum in November 2013, three years ago, to explain I had a Physics degree (Doctor of Philosophy in the major of Physics). When I start a new telepathy test on a forum, I generally use the name "Michel H", like you just did, which is fine.

I often notice telepathic reactions from animals (like from car drivers near my building), but this doesn't mean I can control them. For example, when a dog seems to be upset and is barking a lot, I can try to calm him/her down by talking to him/her, this frequently works very well.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2016, 02:47 AM   #309
fagin
Illuminator
 
fagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: As far away from casebro as possible.
Posts: 4,973
You mean sometimes a dog stops barking.
__________________
There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2016, 03:09 AM   #310
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by fagin View Post
You mean sometimes a dog stops barking.
Sometimes, but not necessarily (he/she can also bark less loudly, or differently). Animals, who generally cannot talk, are often good at expressing feelings and emotions in a fairly accurate way by making various noises. For example, yesterday, I pointed out that dogs cannot write, and today I noticed, from their barking, that they felt somewhat offended and slightly upset by that statement I made. I am used to these telepathic phenomena, they happen all the time, and on a worldwide scale.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2016, 04:44 AM   #311
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,365
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Sometimes, but not necessarily (he/she can also bark less loudly, or differently). Animals, who generally cannot talk, are often good at expressing feelings and emotions in a fairly accurate way by making various noises. For example, yesterday, I pointed out that dogs cannot write, and today I noticed, from their barking, that they felt somewhat offended and slightly upset by that statement I made. I am used to these telepathic phenomena, they happen all the time, and on a worldwide scale.
To you, It needs to be said these events don't actually happen.

Not that this will deter you, How do you feel about your recent test also being a failure?
__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2016, 05:21 AM   #312
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 17,009
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Sometimes, but not necessarily (he/she can also bark less loudly, or differently).
Did it never occur to you that dogs can bark however loud they want to?

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Animals, who generally cannot talk, are often good at expressing feelings and emotions in a fairly accurate way by making various noises.
See, dogs are not people. Ask yourself why it is necessary to point out this obvious fact.

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
For example, yesterday, I pointed out that dogs cannot write, and today I noticed, from their barking, that they felt somewhat offended and slightly upset by that statement I made.
Oh right. They started a worldwide movement, did they? Wrote to their elected representative, eh? Sent a strongly worded missive which was published in the readers pages of the Doggy Times, was it?

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I am used to these telepathic phenomena, they happen all the time, and on a worldwide scale.
Then why are dogs not messed up? According to you they are effectively receiving millions of instructions all at once. And all different. The dogs would go insane. Picture it. Some guy on a farm in New Mexico sends Biffo to fetch the broom from the barn, meanwhile Fifi, a poodle in a 16th floor appartment in Paris, falls to her death. The very notion is stupid.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2016, 05:45 AM   #313
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 17,009
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Not simultaneously. I exceptionally posted my full name on this forum in November 2013, three years ago, to explain I had a Physics degree (Doctor of Philosophy in the major of Physics). When I start a new telepathy test on a forum, I generally use the name "Michel H", like you just did, which is fine.

I often notice telepathic reactions from animals (like from car drivers near my building), but this doesn't mean I can control them. For example, when a dog seems to be upset and is barking a lot, I can try to calm him/her down by talking to him/her, this frequently works very well.
Read that. YOU posted your full name. Nobody else, YOU. Why are YOU complaining now about what YOU did?

I posted my own name and my credentials on this site too. Am I complaining about that? No. Because I am not ashamed of who and what I am. I'm entirely happy to stand over my name and the alphabet soup of letters that come after it. I earned that and I'm proud of it. Work done. Success achieved. Earned by merit.

In contrast, you are bringing your ravening, worldwide hoards of telepathic, controlled house pets to rule the world. I am currently unaware of any university offering courses in "World Domination via Telepathic House Pets". Perhaps you would be so kind as to direct us to such a course of study that we all might vie for doggie supremacy. Are cats included? Or are they considered too treacherous? How about goldfish? They have the inside track on sharks, you know. Or octopi, I hear they are well armed.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2016, 08:08 AM   #314
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16,656
Of course, if one were truly psychic and broadcasting to the entire world, then it would be trivial to get people who are able to receive instructions clearly and who are willing to help to sign up to any message board to participate in any test.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2016, 08:24 AM   #315
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,632
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Of course, if one were truly psychic and broadcasting to the entire world, then it would be trivial to get people who are able to receive instructions clearly and who are willing to help to sign up to any message board to participate in any test.
Just so.

You could, if telepathy was real, telepathically direct people to any website, to any URL, to any phone number and so on. You could sell your services for advertising by thinking positive thoughts about any brand who cared to pay you.

But none of these things happen.

There is no conspiracy of silence, where the entire human race agrees to keep a secret from one man in Belgium for no discernable reason.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2016, 08:29 AM   #316
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,632
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
... yesterday, I pointed out that dogs cannot write, and today I noticed, from their barking, that they felt somewhat offended and slightly upset by that statement I made.
Which seems more likely:

1) You're fooling yourself and seeing what you expect to see.
2) Pointless global conspiracy of silence where the entire human race agrees to keep a secret from one man in Belgium.

Clue: It's not option 2.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2016, 03:19 PM   #317
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,693
Originally Posted by Michel H previously
I seem to be able to communicate telepathically with animals (cats, dogs, birds) near my building, ... And this phenomenon is very easy to verify:
Originally Posted by Michel H today
....... but this doesn't mean I can control them. For example, when a dog seems to be upset and is barking a lot, I can try to calm him/her down by talking to him/her, this frequently works very well.
You are making two conflicting statements.

Either you can make animals do things and "this is easily verifiable", and thus can be measured and produce statistically significant data

OR

You cannot make animals do anything and therefore you had no reason to think you are telepathic.....in the first place.

Which one is it?
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2016, 03:43 PM   #318
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,693
I am going to tidy up your claim

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
1) Sometimes, ... Animals, who generally cannot talk, are often good at expressing feelings and emotions in a fairly accurate way by making various noises.

2) ... I noticed, from their barking, that they felt somewhat offended and slightly upset by that statement I made.

3)..... on a worldwide scale.
Michel H's claim in simple terms
You are claiming that you can distinguish different emotions in dogs
Yesterday, you transmitted a telepathic signal that "dogs can't read".
Dogs receiving your telepathic signal became upset, around the world
You were able to discern that dogs around the world were upset.


Direct Questions for Michel H
How do you know dogs around the world were upset if you could not hear nor see them?


What exact change in behaviour should the thousands of dog pounds and shelters, across the world, have observed yesterday?

If you only saw one dog "responding" then isn't your actual evidence only one dog and therefore you have no reason to think you are telepathic?

Do you withdraw your claim "this should be easy to verify"
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2016, 04:07 PM   #319
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,693
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Did it never occur to you that dogs can bark however loud they want to?
I'm with you. However, for this chapter of Michel's little story, I think we can all enjoy Michel's leg pulling humour.

The claim
Dogs throughout the world, are observed as upset, because Michel H broadcast a telepathic message, informing dogs that they can't read.

Well isn't it obvious? Has not the meme of dog's bringing the newspaper from the front lawn been a common cultural phenomena? Didn't this meme exist before Michel H broadcast his message to all dogs? Therefore, dogs already knew they couldn't read the newspaper and have known so, for over a hundred years! The dogs aren't upset at all! Therefore Michel is not telepathic. ( My tongue is firmly in my cheek)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dog and newspaper.jpg (42.3 KB, 7 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2016, 01:45 PM   #320
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
... How do you feel about your recent test also being a failure?
I do not think my latest test on this forum:
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I recently wrote one of the four words: "automobile", "boat", "plane", and "submarine" on my paper, and I surrounded it with a rough ellipse.

I ask you to write it here (if you think you know it, even with a doubt).

Also, a comment might be useful. You may say, for example, how confident you are in your choice.

Thank you for participating.

Notes:
1) A SHA-512 hash of a complicated sentence containing the selected word is: FE200D91BC7B83C5A638F5B9CD9F4F1FD8A66A5C5A8B7050D1 8316E56E881E5CA4FBB4D0524F38DA295CAAF1AD8136AECE11 A07C204EC6147C3D628F2FCC3A80
2) Yeggster has already kindly given an answer:
was a failure, and I would like to explain why.

First of all, the word I wrote and surrounded was "automobile". The sentence I used to produce the hash mentioned above was:
The word iz closely related to "car" and starts with §è the letter "a".
(a little note here: Right after I wrote "The sentence I used to produce" above [two lines ago], I heard a dog bark with amusement and excitation. So, I stopped typing, I raised my arm, and pointed towards him/her, and the window, and the barking immediately stopped, even though, on my sixth floor, I couldn't see the dog, and the dog couldn't see me).

To my great regret, nobody answered clearly one of the four possible answers of this test. However, Yeggster said:
Originally Posted by Yeggster View Post
I have circled an automobile ...
, which resembles "You have circled an automobile". Therefore, it is fair to say (it seems to me) that he suggested the correct answer, rather than giving it clearly.

DuvalHMFIC, who gave an answer related to the correct one in the previous test (link) said:
Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
Oddly enough, I thought of Kate Upton riding a rhombus shaped skateboard. Do I score any points?
Like when fagin answered "train" instead of "automobile" in the first "automobile- boat - plane - submarine" test I did on this forum (link), I believe it is fair to say that DuvalHMFIC's answer is related to the correct one, because a skateboard is a simple wheeled ground vehicle. In addition, a rhombus is a quadrilateral, like (roughly) a car (and unlike planes, submarines, and most boats). So, I think DuvalHMFIC would indeed probably deserve a few points if these tests gave points.

p0lka replied:
Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
hedgehog.
Hedgehogs are terrestrial four-legged animals, and are therefore more closely related to automobiles than to boats, planes or submarines (he didn't answer a bird or a fish for example - aquatic birds like ducks or swans might be reminiscent of boats).

Last edited by Michel H; 22nd November 2016 at 03:39 PM.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:41 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.