ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags telepathy , telepathy test

Reply
Old 22nd November 2016, 03:34 PM   #321
fagin
Illuminator
 
fagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: As far away from casebro as possible.
Posts: 4,619
I've heard of grasping at straws, but your straws are bananas.
__________________
There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2016, 04:06 PM   #322
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 24,725
I think I can claim a hit here, because I described a flying submarine that was all of the possible choices except an automobile. It seems fairly clear that that's exactly what someone engaged in a criminal conspiracy to hide the truth about telepathy would say.

Dave
__________________
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2016, 05:05 PM   #323
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,573
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I heard a dog bark with amusement and excitation. So, I stopped typing, I raised my arm, and pointed towards him/her, and the window, and the barking immediately stopped, even though, on my sixth floor, I couldn't see the dog, and the dog couldn't see me.
So was the dog amused because he could hear what you were typing? Is that your claim?

Just so we know, you think you are telepathic because once, a dog stopped barking? Can you repeat that "experiment"?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dog-smiling.jpg (28.4 KB, 87 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2016, 06:02 PM   #324
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,113
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
So was the dog amused because he could hear what you were typing? Is that your claim?

Just so we know, you think you are telepathic because once, a dog stopped barking? Can you repeat that "experiment"?
Quote:
So was the dog amused because he could hear what you were typing? Is that your claim?
The dog began barking a few seconds after I had written ' the word I wrote and surrounded was "automobile" '. I suspect this was no accident, that he chose his/her moment, shortly after I had revealed the correct answer (this was of course an important part of my post). I cannot, however, be 100% sure of this.
Quote:
Just so we know, you think you are telepathic because once, a dog stopped barking? Can you repeat that "experiment"?
I often make these observations of telepathic dogs, so this is something that's very much repeatable.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2016, 07:48 PM   #325
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,310
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
The dog began barking a few seconds after I had written ' the word I wrote and surrounded was "automobile" '. I suspect this was no accident, that he chose his/her moment, shortly after I had revealed the correct answer (this was of course an important part of my post). I cannot, however, be 100% sure of this.

I often make these observations of telepathic dogs, so this is something that's very much repeatable.
Again I stress, To you it's apparent, the reality of the situation is as usual the polar opposite.

Why not record this "apparent" phenomenon, If anything it be a start as your 0% in tests so far.
__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2016, 08:09 PM   #326
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,573
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard
So was the dog amused because he could hear what you were typing? Is that your claim?

Just so we know, you think you are telepathic because once, a dog stopped barking? Can you repeat that "experiment"?
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
The dog began barking a few seconds after I had written ' the word I wrote and surrounded was "automobile" '. I suspect this was no accident, that he chose his/her moment, shortly after I had revealed the correct answer (this was of course an important part of my post). I cannot, however, be 100% sure of this.
You are now claiming two totally different things.

You are now claiming dogs around the world can read your thoughts as you type the word "automobile".

You previously claimed that dogs were upset because you said "dogs could not read"

Which is the correct story? If you cannot remember, well that indicates you simply made a mistake and you are not telepathic and we can drop this story.


Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I often make these observations of telepathic dogs, so this is something that's very much repeatable.
Questions Michel H refuses to answer.
1) If it is repeatable, the why do you refuse to undergo a test with animals, where you make them do something? (This eliminates humans, who you arbitrarily dismiss as "credible" and "non credible").


2) How do you know all dogs "around the world" received this message as you claimed?

3) How do you know the dog was "amused"? Did the one dog send you back a message "I am amused" or did all the dogs around the world send you a message "we are amused"?
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2016, 08:17 PM   #327
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,310
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
You are now claiming two totally different things.

You are now claiming dogs around the world can read your thoughts as you type the word "automobile".

You previously claimed that dogs were upset because you said "dogs could not read"

Which is the correct story? If you cannot remember, well that indicates you simply made a mistake and you are not telepathic and we can drop this story.




Questions Michel H refuses to answer.
1) If it is repeatable, the why do you refuse to undergo a test with animals, where you make them do something? (This eliminates humans, who you arbitrarily dismiss as "credible" and "non credible").


2) How do you know all dogs "around the world" received this message as you claimed?

3) How do you know the dog was "amused"? Did the one dog send you back a message "I am amused" or did all the dogs around the world send you a message "we are amused"?
I suspect the truth is closer to, A dog was barking outside while he was making his recent failing test, At some point the dog stopped and because Michel can and will contort events into his narrative he took that a s a sign the dog heard his thoughts.
__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2016, 02:47 AM   #328
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing
 
AdMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,293
I don't fully understand why people keep responding to Michael's tests, whether seriously or in jest, unless they are new to his posts.

Michael will never accept any argument showing he is not truly telepathic. He's made up his mind. (It is curious, because the fact he keeps posting his "tests" shows there is still some doubt somewhere in him, but that doubt has never really been apparent beyond the interminable posting of his decidedly unscientific "tests".)

Joking or sarcastic responses are useless, because Michael will either not get the joke or sarcasm, or will explain it away and figure out a convoluted way in which the response actually supports his own foregone conclusions.

Urging Michael to seek medical help to try to solve his problems would seem to be an adequate approach, but unfortunately Michael has continually rejected such suggestions.

So I continue to think ignoring the "tests" is probably best. I urge everyone to seriously consider this as the best approach.
__________________
As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit atrocities.
- Voltaire.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2016, 05:54 AM   #329
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,594
Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
Oddly enough, I thought of Kate Upton riding a rhombus shaped skateboard. Do I score any points?
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Well, if your answer can be vaguely fitted to one of the answers then the round peg will be relentlessly hammered into the square hole and considered a hit. If not you will be declared insincere and discarded. The only way that ANYONE walks away from this game with any honour is by refusing to play, as others have said it is better not to encourage this delusion.

(Nb. I was was going to give an example of how your obviously joke answer could be fitted to one of the options but I don't want to risk being coincidentally right).
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I do not think my latest test on this forum:

was a failure, and I would like to explain why.

First of all, the word I wrote and surrounded was "automobile". The sentence I used to produce the hash mentioned above was:
The word iz closely related to "car" and starts with §č the letter "a".
(a little note here: Right after I wrote "The sentence I used to produce" above [two lines ago], I heard a dog bark with amusement and excitation. So, I stopped typing, I raised my arm, and pointed towards him/her, and the window, and the barking immediately stopped, even though, on my sixth floor, I couldn't see the dog, and the dog couldn't see me).

To my great regret, nobody answered clearly one of the four possible answers of this test. However, Yeggster said:
, which resembles "You have circled an automobile". Therefore, it is fair to say (it seems to me) that he suggested the correct answer, rather than giving it clearly.

DuvalHMFIC, who gave an answer related to the correct one in the previous test (link) said:

Like when fagin answered "train" instead of "automobile" in the first "automobile- boat - plane - submarine" test I did on this forum (link), I believe it is fair to say that DuvalHMFIC's answer is related to the correct one, because a skateboard is a simple wheeled ground vehicle. In addition, a rhombus is a quadrilateral, like (roughly) a car (and unlike planes, submarines, and most boats). So, I think DuvalHMFIC would indeed probably deserve a few points if these tests gave points.

p0lka replied:

Hedgehogs are terrestrial four-legged animals, and are therefore more closely related to automobiles than to boats, planes or submarines (he didn't answer a bird or a fish for example - aquatic birds like ducks or swans might be reminiscent of boats).


Called it!
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2016, 06:22 AM   #330
MetalPig
Master Poster
 
MetalPig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 22, Acacia Avenue
Posts: 2,810
IIRC, Kate Upton has two very nice flotation devices, which makes DuvalHMFIC's answer more related to 'boat'.

Also, motorboating
__________________
Just drive.
MetalPig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2016, 07:21 AM   #331
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,652
Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
I don't fully understand why people keep responding to Michael's tests, whether seriously or in jest, unless they are new to his posts.

Michael will never accept any argument showing he is not truly telepathic. He's made up his mind. (It is curious, because the fact he keeps posting his "tests" shows there is still some doubt somewhere in him, but that doubt has never really been apparent beyond the interminable posting of his decidedly unscientific "tests".)

Joking or sarcastic responses are useless, because Michael will either not get the joke or sarcasm, or will explain it away and figure out a convoluted way in which the response actually supports his own foregone conclusions.

Urging Michael to seek medical help to try to solve his problems would seem to be an adequate approach, but unfortunately Michael has continually rejected such suggestions.

So I continue to think ignoring the "tests" is probably best. I urge everyone to seriously consider this as the best approach.
Michel's "barking dog" story is, to me, the dog that didn't bark- the clue that either he's having us all on, or having himself on in such a way that nothing anybody says here can fix it; either way, not worth responding to.
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2016, 07:48 AM   #332
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,482
Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Michel's "barking dog" story is, to me, the dog that didn't bark- the clue that either he's having us all on, or having himself on in such a way that nothing anybody says here can fix it; either way, not worth responding to.
If this is all the tale of some shaggy dog, I stand in addled awe of the perseverance and longevity of the con. After a point, a Troll becomes Ouroboros; we can leave it to dine on regurgitation.
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2016, 08:19 AM   #333
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,652
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
If this is all the tale of some shaggy dog, I stand in addled awe of the perseverance and longevity of the con. After a point, a Troll becomes Ouroboros; we can leave it to dine on regurgitation.
I like that- a story that's all scatter-shot build with no real reveal. Delusion or purposeful, pointless either way.
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2016, 12:33 PM   #334
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,594
Originally Posted by MetalPig View Post
IIRC, Kate Upton has two very nice flotation devices, which makes DuvalHMFIC's answer more related to 'boat'.

Also, motorboating
That's so much better than the lame justification I was going use (and WAAAAY better than Michel's!).
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2016, 02:58 PM   #335
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,310
Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
I don't fully understand why people keep responding to Michael's tests, whether seriously or in jest, unless they are new to his posts.

Michael will never accept any argument showing he is not truly telepathic. He's made up his mind. (It is curious, because the fact he keeps posting his "tests" shows there is still some doubt somewhere in him, but that doubt has never really been apparent beyond the interminable posting of his decidedly unscientific "tests".)

Joking or sarcastic responses are useless, because Michael will either not get the joke or sarcasm, or will explain it away and figure out a convoluted way in which the response actually supports his own foregone conclusions.

Urging Michael to seek medical help to try to solve his problems would seem to be an adequate approach, but unfortunately Michael has continually rejected such suggestions.

So I continue to think ignoring the "tests" is probably best. I urge everyone to seriously consider this as the best approach.
Neither do yet it keeps happening.
__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2016, 03:15 PM   #336
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,369
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
The dog began barking a few seconds after I had written ' the word I wrote and surrounded was "automobile" '. I suspect this was no accident, that he chose his/her moment, shortly after I had revealed the correct answer (this was of course an important part of my post). I cannot, however, be 100% sure of this.

I often make these observations of telepathic dogs, so this is something that's very much repeatable.
Sorry. Not playing your game. You are not telepathic. Nobody hears your thoughts, not even dogs.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2016, 03:55 PM   #337
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,574
I don't think Michel persists with his 'tests' due to any lingering doubt. Rather I suspect he would like to gather evidence that the entire human race is conspiring to pretend we can't hear him.



Ideally he would like solid, undeniable evidence so he can say "There! That proves you can hear me".



It's hard to imagine what it must be like to be unshakably convinced of something so absurd. I wish there was something we could say that might help but although we can reason with Michel, I don't think Michel's problem can be reasoned with.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2016, 05:42 PM   #338
fromdownunder
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,724
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
I don't think Michel persists with his 'tests' due to any lingering doubt. Rather I suspect he would like to gather evidence that the entire human race is conspiring to pretend we can't hear him.
...and all the cats and dogs.

Norm
__________________
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain


fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 05:56 PM   #339
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster
 
DuvalHMFIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,127
When do I get my prize?
__________________
Ben is sick ladies and gentlemen, thats right, Ben is sick.
DuvalHMFIC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 06:17 PM   #340
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 13,413
Thoughts are based on electro-chemical events. The electro-chemical events producing a particular belief can be caused by the experience of real events, or can be caused by internal changes in the the brain unrelated to real events. The belief can be just as strong in either case because it is ultimately manifested by, and based on, the same chemical events in the brain.

One can honestly, firmly, and sincerely believe something, such that one can transmit thoughts to others or to animals, whether one actually experienced these events or only thinks that one did. In either case, evidence to the contrary is likely to be ignored and/or manipulated to match the belief, because the belief itself is (to the person holding it) obviously true. They may have some part of their brain that is unsure, but the more powerful and emotionally driven part is sure.

This is why I do not think that Michel H is trying to pull our legs. I am convinced that he very much believes he can broadcast his thoughts. Feel free to choose which explanation appeals to you- I know which one I've chosen, and why I usually try to avoid participating in this thread. Sorry to be repetitive when I do.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 10:46 PM   #341
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,113
Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
When do I get my prize?
You already got it:
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
... So, I think DuvalHMFIC would indeed probably deserve a few points if these tests gave points.
...
You might get a better prize if your answer improves.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2016, 05:40 PM   #342
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,573
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
You might get a better prize if your answer improves.
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I noticed, from their barking, that they felt somewhat offended and slightly upset by that statement I made. I am used to these telepathic phenomena, they happen all the time, and on a worldwide scale.

It is your turn to answer direct questions.

How do you know all the dogs around the world "heard you" thinking about dogs?
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2016, 07:40 PM   #343
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,113
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
...
How do you know all the dogs around the world "heard you" thinking about dogs?
When I said:
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
... I am used to these telepathic phenomena, they happen all the time, and on a worldwide scale.
I was not writing specifically about dogs, I was writing "in general" (actually, I don't recall any very-long-distance telepathy effect or event in connection with dogs).
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2016, 06:21 PM   #344
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,573
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I noticed, from their barking, (ie Dogs) that they felt somewhat offended and slightly upset by that statement I made. I am used to these telepathic phenomena, they happen all the time, and on a worldwide scale.
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I was not writing specifically about dogs, I was writing "in general" (actually, I don't recall any very-long-distance telepathy effect or event in connection with dogs).
That's even worse for your claim.

Firstly, if you have never had a successful experiment, on any forum, indicating any human can hears your thoughts around the world, then how do you know humans worldwide can hear your thoughts? If you have such a successful experiment link us to that so we may review your methodology and results.

Secondly, you have created a paradox, in your claim. You are now claiming humans around the world can hear your thoughts but dogs can't? Yet you claim you have telepathy with both dogs and humans. How do you explain that?
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 06:48 AM   #345
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,113
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
...
Firstly, if you have never had a successful experiment, on any forum, indicating any human can hears your thoughts around the world, then how do you know humans worldwide can hear your thoughts? If you have such a successful experiment link us to that so we may review your methodology and results.

Secondly, you have created a paradox, in your claim. You are now claiming humans around the world can hear your thoughts but dogs can't? Yet you claim you have telepathy with both dogs and humans. How do you explain that?
The results of my latest test on this forum were not very obvious to analyze, but here are some clear and interesting testimonies.

On Yahoo Answers, I asked, in 2010 (in the Parapsychology category):
Quote:
Do you sometimes have the odd impression of "knowing what I think"?
Then, member im replied:
Quote:
Well, I nearly always know what you think ...
(https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...3134559AAR70yj )
This member (im) was exceptional; he had a best answer rate equal to 93% for 999 answers on Yahoo Answers.

In August 2013, I started a new telepathy test on this forum:
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Hi, I would like to invite you to participate in a (new) simple telepathy test.
...
At about 22:47 on this Thursday August 22 (Brussels, Belgium time), I wrote carefully one of the four numbers: "1", "2", "3", "4" on my sheet of paper, and I surrounded it with a circle. Then, I wrote it again twice.

I shall repeat this number from time to time during this test.

It was selected using this random number generator: http://www.random.org/integers/ .

I ask you to write it here (if you think you know it, even with a doubt). You may also answer "I don't know".

So, your answer should be one of the four numbers: "1", "2", "3", "4", or "I don't know".

A comment might be useful, but is not indispensable.

Please note that the number I wrote has no meaning, it was just produced by the generator.

A MD5 hash code for a complicated sentence containing the number I ask you to telepathically guess (like, for example: "the number to guess is 5 f4315d 3b1fcd81") is:
e5ca98da86a6e4c582700847e587c3ac

It was obtained on this website:
http://www.md5hashgenerator.com/ .

I shall reveal the actual sentence I used to produce this MD5 hash at the end of the test, after I have revealed the number I ask you to guess. This way, you'll be able to verify my number.

Thank you for participating.

Note: I do these tests because I believe I have a particular tendency to (telepathically) communicate my thoughts to others, and I am seeking to prove this through online telepathy experiments.
About 30 minutes later, Ashles commented:
Originally Posted by Ashles View Post
Well this is certainly one of the most robustly controlled experiments I have encountered.
About 15 hours later, Tiktaalik replied:
Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
4

I know it. I'm absolutely sure. I feel it inside of me, and if you haven't felt it, you don't know what it's like. If you had felt it, you would know it was 4, so if you think it is not 4, you have obviously not felt it. 4 is the one true number.
Her number was correct.

Much more recently (in September of this year), I launched a new test:
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Hi, I invite you to participate in a new, simple, telepathy test, of the kind you may have seen before. I shall also ask you to answer a complementary question, which is difficult, but important for me (and perhaps also important beyond me)

At about 9:00 p.m. on this Friday September 9 (Brussels, Belgium time), I wrote carefully one of the four words: "automobile", "boat", "plane", and "submarine" on my sheet of paper, and I surrounded it with a rough ellipse. Then, I wrote it again twice.

I shall repeat this word from time to time during this test.

I ask you to write it here (if you think you know it, even with a doubt). You may also answer "I don't know".
...
cullennz answered correctly "plane":
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
... I'll go for plane ...
After I revealed his answer was correct, cullennz reacted:
Quote:
Think it's pretty simple.

I'm psychic and chose to read Michael H's mind. ...
(link: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=311768 )

Interestingly, even a moderator of this forum (once) replied:
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I am seeing a 4 very clearly. It's almost as though I had written it myself.
in one of my first tests, his answer was correct.

As to your question about dogs, I am not saying that humans around the world can hear my thoughts while dogs can't. What I am saying is that, regarding very-long-distance telepathy with dogs, I have no evidence, but that doesn't mean such effects do no exist, it seems more likely to me they do exist.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 08:14 AM   #346
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation
 
Hokulele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Biggest Little City in the World
Posts: 29,517
How many people who stated they were equally sure of the answer were wrong?
__________________
"Oh god...What have you done, zooterkin? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?!" - Cleon
Hokulele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 08:21 AM   #347
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,574
Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
How many people who stated they were equally sure of the answer were wrong?
And how many who were counted as hits would, when asked, say they were being sarcastic and mocking the idea of telepathy?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 08:29 AM   #348
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,574
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
... As to your question about dogs, I am not saying that humans around the world can hear my thoughts while dogs can't. What I am saying is that, regarding very-long-distance telepathy with dogs, I have no evidence, but that doesn't mean such effects do no exist, it seems more likely to me they do exist.
Here's a hypothetical question, Michel: Imagine that I was convinced that dogs were aware of what I was thinking. Imagine that I was in the habit of trying to will them to look around to their left or look around to their right and I estimated that maybe 20% of the time, dogs seemed to me to react to what I was trying to tell them to do.

Can you think of an experiment I might try which would allow me to demonstrate to my own satisfaction whether or not that 20% figure was in any way realistic?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 09:24 AM   #349
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,113
Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
How many people who stated they were equally sure of the answer were wrong?
I don't think this has ever happened (seriously) on this forum (though I think this may have happened on another forum). At the end of each test, I review all answers of course, not just some of them, that I may like better.
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
And how many who were counted as hits would, when asked, say they were being sarcastic and mocking the idea of telepathy?
If I remember correctly, Loss Leader was the only member who, after giving a correct answer, stated that this answer was not to be taken seriously (this is what he said, that does not necessarily mean it is true). However, he started himself two telepathy tests on this forum, thereby showing his interest for the subject.
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Here's a hypothetical question, Michel: Imagine that I was convinced that dogs were aware of what I was thinking. Imagine that I was in the habit of trying to will them to look around to their left or look around to their right and I estimated that maybe 20% of the time, dogs seemed to me to react to what I was trying to tell them to do.

Can you think of an experiment I might try which would allow me to demonstrate to my own satisfaction whether or not that 20% figure was in any way realistic?
You can try of course such an experiment, but you are very unlikely to succeed, in my opinion. Even me, who seems to have such unusual telepathic "properties", I don't think I could do that. One thing to keep in mind is that animal can have mental health problems (like us, humans), and that their mental health should in principle be respected. To obtain the best results with animals in ESP, the best way is to treat them with respect, like human beings, in my opinion.

Last edited by Michel H; 1st December 2016 at 11:01 AM.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 11:25 AM   #350
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing
 
jaydeehess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 40 miles north of the border
Posts: 20,808
Wait a tic,,,, so you are saying one person was very convinced she had the correct number in a 1:4 choice test?

And you are astounded and consider this evidence of telepathy and not that statistics has some relevancy in such a test......
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 12:07 PM   #351
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,113
Originally Posted by jaydeehess View Post
Wait a tic,,,, so you are saying one person was very convinced she had the correct number in a 1:4 choice test?

And you are astounded and consider this evidence of telepathy and not that statistics has some relevancy in such a test......
I think it is certainly remarkable that some people would reply:
Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
4

I know it. I'm absolutely sure. I feel it inside of me, and if you haven't felt it, you don't know what it's like. If you had felt it, you would know it was 4, so if you think it is not 4, you have obviously not felt it. 4 is the one true number.
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I am seeing a 4 very clearly. It's almost as though I had written it myself.
in a simple telepathy test on the forum of a famous educational foundation (with a rather skeptical orientation), and that both answers would turn out to be correct.

However, when I did the analysis (link) of the test in which these remarkable statement were made, I did not limit myself to just these two answers, I studied all answers given, and I also did a statistical analysis, with a p-value calculation.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 12:20 PM   #352
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,574
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
You can try of course such an experiment, but you are very unlikely to succeed, in my opinion. Even me, who seems to have such unusual telepathic "properties", I don't think I could do that. One thing to keep in mind is that animal can have mental health problems (like us, humans), and that their mental health should in principle be respected. To obtain the best results with animals in ESP, the best way is to treat them with respect, like human beings, in my opinion.
Do you mean that you think a 20% success rate is far too ambitious or do you mean it's very unlikely that even someone genuinely telepathic could ever persuade a dog to do anything?

If you mean the former, what sort of experiment might we design to detect a rarely successful ability (while remaining ethical and respectful toward dogs)?

How about this: a dog who is happy, contented, well-adjusted and loves to play is shown a new game by its owner. The game is that the owner throws two balls and the dog brings them back one at a time (because they're a little too large to carry both). The balls need to be distinctive in some way that you and the dog can both perceive (maybe one white and one black, or one has stripes or something like that). All you have to do is flip a coin (unseen by anyone else) while the owner prepares to throw the balls and use that to choose which ball you telepathically ask the dog to bring back first. Let the dog play its game over and over and count the percentage of times it brings back the requested ball first.

It seems to me that could be the basis of a viable scientific measure of someone's telepathic ability with dogs, and neatly gets around the problem of whether human subjects act sincerely. There is, one presumes, no possibility of a worldwide conspiracy among dogs to pretend that telepathy isn't real.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 12:37 PM   #353
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,113
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Do you mean that you think a 20% success rate is far too ambitious or do you mean it's very unlikely that even someone genuinely telepathic could ever persuade a dog to do anything?

If you mean the former, what sort of experiment might we design to detect a rarely successful ability (while remaining ethical and respectful toward dogs)?

How about this: a dog who is happy, contented, well-adjusted and loves to play is shown a new game by its owner. The game is that the owner throws two balls and the dog brings them back one at a time (because they're a little too large to carry both). The balls need to be distinctive in some way that you and the dog can both perceive (maybe one white and one black, or one has stripes or something like that). All you have to do is flip a coin (unseen by anyone else) while the owner prepares to throw the balls and use that to choose which ball you telepathically ask the dog to bring back first. Let the dog play its game over and over and count the percentage of times it brings back the requested ball first.

It seems to me that could be the basis of a viable scientific measure of someone's telepathic ability with dogs, and neatly gets around the problem of whether human subjects act sincerely. There is, one presumes, no possibility of a worldwide conspiracy among dogs to pretend that telepathy isn't real.
I think this second method is much better than the first one, but let us not forget that the real bosses on this planet are the human beings, not dogs. So, however imperfect humans may be, we telepaths have to try to deal with them
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 01:17 PM   #354
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,310
Originally Posted by jaydeehess View Post
Wait a tic,,,, so you are saying one person was very convinced she had the correct number in a 1:4 choice test?

And you are astounded and consider this evidence of telepathy and not that statistics has some relevancy in such a test......
Is this rhetorical?
__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 04:40 PM   #355
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,574
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I think this second method is much better than the first one, but let us not forget that the real bosses on this planet are the human beings, not dogs. So, however imperfect humans may be, we telepaths have to try to deal with them


It appears to me that you're looking for evidence to validate your belief that you are telepathic. The type of experiment I described ought to help confirm or refute that belief. I thought you might be interested in trying something like that to find out if your belief is real or illusory.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 04:45 PM   #356
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,573
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard
Firstly, if you have never had a successful experiment, on any forum, indicating any human can hears your thoughts around the world, then how do you know humans worldwide can hear your thoughts? If you have such a successful experiment link us to that so we may review your methodology and results.
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
The results of my latest test on this forum were not very obvious to analyze, but here are some clear and interesting testimonies.
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...3134559AAR70yj
That link is not one of your experiments and the person you quote directly says they are "cold reading" you, which is a standard theatrical magic trick and not telepathy. Can you link us to any post of yours, on any forum that results in a successful experiment? If you cannot do this, then it is obvious there is no evidence that humans across the world can hear your thoughts as you claim. Can you offer any counter argument to this logic?


Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard
Secondly, you have created a paradox, in your claim. You are now claiming humans around the world can hear your thoughts but dogs can't? Yet you claim you have telepathy with both dogs and humans. How do you explain that?
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
As to your question about dogs, I am not saying that humans around the world can hear my thoughts while dogs can't. What I am saying is that, regarding very-long-distance telepathy with dogs, I have no evidence, but that doesn't mean such effects do no exist, it seems more likely to me they do exist.
So therefore, as you claim
1)Dogs are reading your thoughts, around the world,
2) You can make dogs do things like stop barking,
Put on a telepathic demonstration at 3pm Belgium time on Saturday and make all the dogs in the world stop barking.

You can do that to produce clear evidence for your claims, right?
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 04:55 PM   #357
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,573
Originally Posted by jaydeehess View Post
And you are astounded and consider this evidence of telepathy and not that statistics has some relevancy in such a test......
I'm going to say this openly. Michel H is specifically avoiding any discussion of statistics or hypothetical physics for his claim.

He claimed to have a doctorate in physics, but at no point has he used any of the skills or knowledge, of statistics, physics, or the scientific method & controls, that a physicist would need to have. I put it to him, he is simply playing the very unscientific "Yes, but...." word game, when responding to other member's questions.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2016, 03:36 PM   #358
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,113
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
I'm going to say this openly. Michel H is specifically avoiding any discussion of statistics or hypothetical physics for his claim.

He claimed to have a doctorate in physics, but at no point has he used any of the skills or knowledge, of statistics, physics, or the scientific method & controls, that a physicist would need to have. I put it to him, he is simply playing the very unscientific "Yes, but...." word game, when responding to other member's questions.
Here is an example of a statistical calculation that I posted on this forum:
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
... It may be interesting to introduce a credibility threshold, equal to CR=5, for exemple. Then, GregInAustin's answer (CR=2) is eliminated, and I obtain 3+4 = 7 ("strongly") credible answers for the two tests (on this forum, so far), all of which are numerically correct. The probability for this is equal to p = (1/4)7 = 6.10 x 10-5 (assuming a 25% probability of answering correctly, for each answer). This is of course highly significant, but there are uncertainties related to the fact I assign credibilities while knowing if the answers are correct or not. ...
and here are some comments about the physical aspect:
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Yes, I have actually studied the physical aspect.

The power of the brain is approximately 20 Watt (see hypertextbook.com/facts/2001/JacquelineLing.shtml).
On the other hand, with 5 W (radiated) power, ham radio operators can make voice contact with "the other side of the world" (see ham1, ham2).
It is possible to make telegraphic contact with the other side of the world (using for example the Morse code) with only 500 mW (ham2). According to wikipedia, the current record for a "QRP" connection (this means "low power amateur radio connection") is 1 microWatt for 1,650 miles on 10 meter (see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QRP_operation#Philosophy).

The human brain has gamma oscillations of frequencies up to 200 Hz, see High-frequency gamma oscillations and human brain mapping with electrocorticography. There are probably other, much higher frequencies of electromagnetic waves, which occur when electromagnetic pulses created by cerebral activity and neuronal action potentials bounce back and forth between the "walls of the brain", in this way you create a simple high frequency oscillator, which then may get modulated by the gamma waves.

It is possible that our neurons are like extra-ordinarily sensitive transistors, which "trigger" when a well defined voltage threshold is reached (this triggers the action potential) and can amplify. And since there are so many of them (about one hundred billion), you presumably end up with an extraordinarily biological device for detecting electromagnetic waves in your skull, which will detect primarily waves of the "right wavelengths" for creating a sustained oscillation, which are waves creating by other brains. It is possible that my own gamma waves have something special in the message they convey (perhaps because I am more altruistic than most), which would explain why they are understood better than the average. It is also possible that my "special" telepathic waves get understood and re-emitted by other brains after a long journey, and thereby amplified.
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Not necessarily, think about the example of a fire emitting thermal radiation I already quoted. Is every radio designer in the world scratching their head near a fire (or any source of heat)? No. Is a simple fire (or any source of heat) emitting thermal, and therefore electromagnetic waves in the radio frequency range? Yes.
Physics teaches us that, whenever an ion (for example a sodium Na+ ion in the brain) gets accelerated, electromagnetic radiation gets emitted. On the other hand, in the brain, during an action potential, sodium ions rush into the neuron, and they are accelerated because of the voltage difference between the interior and exterior of the cell. So we can safely predict that cerebral activity produces electromagnetic radiation.
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
You should perhaps have a look at the book "The Radiating Brain", by Ferdinando Cazzamalli: http://documents.theblackvault.com/d...atingBrain.pdf , or at this article:
Radiometer measures temperature in premature babies' brains (2000)
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/college.asp?P=2512
(microwave radiation from the brain recently measured, but they don't seem to have extended their measurements to the shortwave frequencies)
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2016, 06:26 PM   #359
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,573
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard
I'm going to say this openly. Michel H is specifically avoiding any discussion of statistics or hypothetical physics for his claim. He claimed to have a doctorate in physics, but at no point has he used any of the skills or knowledge, of statistics, physics, or the scientific method & controls, that a physicist would need to have. I put it to him, he is simply playing the very unscientific "Yes, but...." word game, when responding to other member's questions.
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Here is an example of a statistical calculation that I posted on this forum:
"This is of course highly significant, but there are uncertainties related to the fact I assign credibilities while knowing if the answers are correct or not. .."
There you go. Your own provided quote says you can ignore any answer that you personally don't think is credible. You simply ignore any unbiased result and immediately ignore the actual statistical result. You are playing the "Yes, but....."word game.


Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
and here are some comments about the physical aspect:
"It is possible that my own gamma waves have something special in the message they convey (perhaps because I am more altruistic than most), which would explain why they are understood better than the average. It is also possible that my "special" telepathic waves get understood and re-emitted by other brains after a long journey, and thereby amplified."

However, random gamma waves don't convey any information like boat, ship, car or "dog stop barking" and you never offered any hypothesis on how they could. You then totally ignored how everyone else and animals would physically receive your "gamma ray messages" nor why they don't diminish over distance, nor are interfered with, by other natural waves forms. You never fully set out any testable scientific hypothesis on purpose.

"Researchers at MIT say that brain waves are so weak, they are hardly measurable at all. The magnetic field of the earth is just strong enough to move the needle of a compass. Signals from the brain are a billionth of that strength. To capture brain signals, the MEG scanner is kept in a room shielded with mu metal, a special alloy that blocks external magnetic fields. That's how they are able to measure even the slightest magnetic signals from the brain".

Let's be frank. A scientific hypothesis is used to explain a particular phenomena. At no point have you given any evidence that any identifiable specific phenomena is taking place...
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2016, 06:38 PM   #360
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,573
Belgium Greyhound Racing : Simple test.

Michel H. I have good news for you. Greyhound racing is common in Belgium. There is a greyhound course near you.

As you can command dogs to "stop barking" you can simply go down to the track and command the dogs to not leave the starting gates. when the gates open and video this for us.

Once you have done this and presented a video of dogs not leaving the starting gates.......we can go the next step. If you can't do this.......well that ends your entire claim in one swoop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Greyhound starting gates.jpg (90.9 KB, 3 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:02 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.