ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags telepathy

Old 18th February 2017, 09:30 AM   #321
Scorpion
Muse

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
A couple of years ago I accidentally carried a pocket knife through security at Gatwick and the Police were called, on that occasion I was required to sign a note in the officer's notebook to the effect that I was handing over the knife to be destroyed. It may have been something similar, today waving around a pistol, even a toy but certainly a blank firer would certainly be treated a lot more seriously but in 89 or so, shortly after the restrictions were tightened, if he wasn't actually waving it around when the police arrived and gave it up voluntarily.. Maybe, just possibly, perhaps, on your luckiest day ever.
Thanks, the police searched my flat when I was suspected of flashing. But the evidence proved I did not commit the offence. However they found my gun and took it.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2017, 11:42 AM   #322
scarlettinlondon
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Thanks, the police searched my flat when I was suspected of flashing. But the evidence proved I did not commit the offence. However they found my gun and took it.

Flashing? Not that as well?
scarlettinlondon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2017, 12:17 PM   #323
Scorpion
Muse

corta, I see you are online again. Please PM me again as I can't remember what you said before. I am willing to communicate with you by PMs, although I would much prefer you posted on this thread about your experiences.

Do not worry that no one believes you, no one believes me either. This is a skeptics forum after all.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2017, 07:07 PM   #324
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

corta, I see you are online again. Please PM me again as I can't remember what you said before. I am willing to communicate with you by PMs, although I would much prefer you posted on this thread about your experiences.
This kind of nonsense is why you lack credibility. You could simply go into your PMs and read it again.

Unless you chose to delete it which would be a really dumb move. And if you had even accidently deleted, it takes a special kind of thinking to post in thread instead of sending a PM right back.

Do not worry that no one believes you, no one believes me either. This is a skeptics forum after all.
Hence why we don't believe you, one of many reasons.
Old 21st February 2017, 07:47 AM   #325
Scorpion
Muse

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
This kind of nonsense is why you lack credibility. You could simply go into your PMs and read it again.

Unless you chose to delete it which would be a really dumb move. And if you had even accidently deleted, it takes a special kind of thinking to post in thread instead of sending a PM right back.

Hence why we don't believe you, one of many reasons.
What are you on about now.

I read corta's post then it disappeared , I did not delete it.

In any case I want corta to post on the forum not PM me. But if that's what corta wants I will oblige.

Corta will not get any sympathy from anyone else here, that's for sure.

I think all you [snip] have scared corta off.

Edited by Agatha:  Insult removed; please be civil and polite to other posters.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by Agatha; 21st February 2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 21st February 2017, 09:00 AM   #326
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

In any case I want corta to post on the forum not PM me. But if that's what corta wants I will oblige.

Corta's post is still there and visible to everyone. None of his/her posts have disappeared.

And I for one am quite happy to review any evidence corta provides to support his claims, and if he isn't a liar and the evidence supports his claims it would be irrational not to believe him.
Old 21st February 2017, 09:46 AM   #327
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Corta's post is still there and visible to everyone. None of his/her posts have disappeared.

And I for one am quite happy to review any evidence corta provides to support his claims, and if he isn't a liar and the evidence supports his claims it would be irrational not to believe him.
I believe Scorpion is claiming that a private message from Corta disappeared rather than a post in this thread.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2017, 09:57 AM   #328
Michel H
Graduate Poster

I believe Scorpion is claiming that a private message from Corta disappeared rather than a post in this thread.
Yes, exactly, and I wonder if is not possible to edit a private message within the two hours time window, the way it is possible to edit a normal post, so as to remove most of its contents.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2017, 10:01 AM   #329
fagin
Illuminator

Try it, but I doubt it.

User error more likely.
Old 21st February 2017, 10:09 AM   #330
Scorpion
Muse

You are correct, I received a PM from corta and briefly read it, then the next time I looked it was gone.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 21st February 2017, 10:16 AM   #331
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

You are correct, I received a PM from corta and briefly read it, then the next time I looked it was gone.
You do know that this isn't the way the forum software works, don't you. You've either deleted it, or imagined it.

That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2017, 10:27 AM   #332
Scorpion
Muse

I see you are not allowed to insult people here as my post was edited. Well I can keep it civil. I have criticised the Quran on a Muslim forum and not been banned, and I have posted on a north Korean forum without getting banned from there too, so I should be able to stay polite here if its a requirement.

To put my feelings in a polite way I remain (90%) sure that everything I concluded about my experience of telepathy is true, and I have never lied about anything.

I maintain I have experienced telepathy directly to me from the spirit world and it is logical that I did, because I was spoken too twice by a female voice in my head that I had never heard before. She told me I would win the lottery one hour before the live TV draw.
I won a five number win and I know the spirit world helped me to get the money for my first internet ready computer.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 21st February 2017, 10:28 AM   #333
Scorpion
Muse

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
You do know that this isn't the way the forum software works, don't you. You've either deleted it, or imagined it.
I may have clicked on the message, would that delete it?
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 21st February 2017, 11:19 AM   #334
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

I see you are not allowed to insult people here...
Here are the rules for you. I suggest reading them carefully.

That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2017, 03:09 PM   #335
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

No. corta wanted a tame audience and neither he nor you found that here. corta cut and ran, while you in all fairness hung in there.

corta is not coming riding to your rescue like some shining knight.
Old 21st February 2017, 03:15 PM   #336
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
No, the problem really is that he does not know how how the forum works. I realise this seems hard to believe, but there really are people who are not familiar with the basics. That is not to cast aspersions upon them. I know sweet fanny adams about open heart surgery because I ain't no doctor.
Old 23rd February 2017, 02:31 AM   #337
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Yes, exactly, and I wonder if is not possible to edit a private message within the two hours time window, the way it is possible to edit a normal post, so as to remove most of its contents.
No it isn't.

Mod Warning
No it isn't - and this diversion is really off topic if you want help or to know something about the forum software take it to the help section, thanks.
Posted By:Darat
Old 23rd February 2017, 02:34 AM   #338
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

No, the problem really is that he does not know how how the forum works. I realise this seems hard to believe, but there really are people who are not familiar with the basics. That is not to cast aspersions upon them. I know sweet fanny adams about open heart surgery because I ain't no doctor.
Perhaps you could tune in to a heart surgeon's mind in an emergency and save someone.
Old 23rd February 2017, 04:33 AM   #339
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Perhaps you could tune in to a heart surgeon's mind in an emergency and save someone.
What would said surgeon be broadcasting if he/she were at the movies watching Lego Batman? Could have fun results...
Old 23rd February 2017, 12:50 PM   #340
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

What would said surgeon be broadcasting if he/she were at the movies watching Lego Batman? Could have fun results...
There's no way you'd get through that chest, isn't it lucky they pull apart at the waist? Pull their legs off and reach straight up.......
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2017, 01:17 PM   #341
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

There's no way you'd get through that chest, isn't it lucky they pull apart at the waist? Pull their legs off and reach straight up.......
ROFL
Old 23rd February 2017, 03:42 PM   #342
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I see you are not allowed to insult people here as my post was edited. Well I can keep it civil. I have criticised the Quran on a Muslim forum and not been banned, and I have posted on a north Korean forum without getting banned from there too, so I should be able to stay polite here if its a requirement.
I'd like to post on a "North Korean Forum". Could you provide me the link, and did you use the same SN as here? Thanks.

Quote:
To put my feelings in a polite way I remain (90%) sure that everything I concluded about my experience of telepathy is true, and I have never lied about anything.
What's it gonna take to get you down to 88%? Let's negotiate.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2017, 04:55 PM   #343
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Is that the point then? For you, too or just for corta?

In fact, many people do get sympathy whilst posting here. Many are struggling and having problems (most, I think, are aware of the problems; some are not). I think you're just confusing sympathy with gullibility. In other words, just because someone's story is tragic or whatever doesn't therefore mean that the conclusions that that someone reaches is an accurate reflection of reality as we can best comprehend it.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2017, 04:56 PM   #344
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
I'd like to post on a "North Korean Forum". Could you provide me the link, and did you use the same SN as here? Thanks.
I think it'd be interesting, save for the requirement that everyone's avatar is a stylized picture of Kim Jung Il. Un. Ooof. Whatever his name is.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2017, 04:56 PM   #345
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

It is, It is part of the MA you signed up to to become a member here. Are you now claiming that you did not read the MA you signed up to?

And we know that to be incorrect. You have, in fact, dropped the porkies. Everyone knows it.

I maintain I have experienced telepathy directly to me from the spirit world and it is logical that I did, because I was spoken too twice by a female voice in my head that I had never heard before. She told me I would win the lottery one hour before the live TV draw.
I won a five number win and I know the spirit world helped me to get the money for my first internet ready computer.
Coincidence happens. Do you not realise that it must? Do you not realise that it would actually be evidence for the supernatural if no coincidences happened at all?
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:29 PM   #346
Scorpion
Muse

The forum I posted on was taken down. There may be a new one, just google for it,
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:43 PM   #347
Scorpion
Muse

Coincidence happens. Do you not realise that it must? Do you not realise that it would actually be evidence for the supernatural if no coincidences happened at all?
Let me explain again why I think it is logical that the spirit world gave me a lottery win by telepathy.

I was broke in 1998 and I was groaning to myself that I could not even afford Christmas presents let alone a good computer. Just as I was moaning to myself a female voice I had never heard before spoke in the middle of my head. It said, "Help is coming from and unexpected source"
Later in the week I picked my lottery numbers and I felt a presence that seemed to guide me in selecting the numbers. Then one hour before the draw I picked up my lottery ticket and thought maybe this ticket is worth a fortune, then I though no and threw it down, as I did that the same female voice said "You won". An hour later I got a five number win.

The odds against getting five numbers at the time was 55,000 to 1 against.
The odds against the fact I have been doing the lottery since it started and only been told I would win on the one occasion I did win must be astronomical.

I claim that I was definitely never told I would win any other time, and I never heard that female voice again. In fact the only time since then I think a spirit has spoken to me was when my pet birdy died (The one hanging on my glasses) A comforting voice said of her death "It couldn't have been quicker"
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 23rd February 2017, 11:53 PM   #348
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Millions of people buy lottery tickets every day. Many of them have a premonition that this time they will win something. The probability of such a premonition occasionally turning out to be correct is 100%.
Old 24th February 2017, 12:37 AM   #349
trustbutverify
Philosopher

The forum I posted on was taken down. There may be a new one, just google for it,
What was it called? When was it taken down?

Wollen owns the stage

Last edited by trustbutverify; 24th February 2017 at 12:38 AM.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 01:16 AM   #350
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

Ooh! Busted Lo Scorpione!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 02:21 AM   #351
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Let me explain again why I think it is logical that the spirit world gave me a lottery win by telepathy.

I was broke in 1998 and I was groaning to myself that I could not even afford Christmas presents let alone a good computer. Just as I was moaning to myself a female voice I had never heard before spoke in the middle of my head. It said, "Help is coming from and unexpected source"
Later in the week I picked my lottery numbers and I felt a presence that seemed to guide me in selecting the numbers. Then one hour before the draw I picked up my lottery ticket and thought maybe this ticket is worth a fortune, then I though no and threw it down, as I did that the same female voice said "You won". An hour later I got a five number win.

The odds against getting five numbers at the time was 55,000 to 1 against.
The odds against the fact I have been doing the lottery since it started and only been told I would win on the one occasion I did win must be astronomical.

I claim that I was definitely never told I would win any other time, and I never heard that female voice again. In fact the only time since then I think a spirit has spoken to me was when my pet birdy died (The one hanging on my glasses) A comforting voice said of her death "It couldn't have been quicker"
"Help is coming from and unexpected source" is not a lottery win being given to you via telepathy. It is the usual vague non-diction trotted out by all peddlers of woo.

"I felt a presence that seemed to guide me in selecting the numbers." Straight out cognitive bias. How many times did you feel a presence guiding your choice of numbers and won nothing? The correct answer is that you have no idea because you never noted those, only the one where by coincidence you got a hit. Also Texas Sharpshooter.

Lots of lottery players use all manner of means to pick their numbers, from "feelings" as you describe to statistical analysis to dowsing etc. None of it works.

"The odds against getting five numbers at the time was 55,000 to 1 against."
Those were not your odds. How many players were there in that draw? How many matched five just like you? How many times have you actually played? How many lines did you enter? Calculate your odds from there.

"I claim that I was definitely never told I would win any other time".
You weren't told you would win the lottery this time either.
Old 24th February 2017, 07:37 AM   #352
Scorpion
Muse

What was it called? When was it taken down?
I don't remember what it was called because it was years ago on my old computer, but if you google ' north Korean forum' you will get some hits.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 24th February 2017, 07:56 AM   #353
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I don't remember what it was called because it was years ago on my old computer, but if you google ' north Korean forum' you will get some hits.
Are you, then, stating that your memory is not 100% reliable?
Old 24th February 2017, 08:16 AM   #354
Scorpion
Muse

Are you, then, stating that your memory is not 100% reliable?
the name of a foreign forum is not something you are likely to remember.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 24th February 2017, 09:46 AM   #355
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

the name of a foreign forum is not something you are likely to remember.
Good. You agree that your memory is not 100% reliable.
Old 24th February 2017, 09:49 AM   #356
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Next question. How do you know that your memory of all those other incidents you recount is reliable at all since you concede that your memory is not 100% reliable?

Note: Nobodies memory is 100% reliable.
Old 24th February 2017, 09:59 AM   #357
Scorpion
Muse

Next question. How do you know that your memory of all those other incidents you recount is reliable at all since you concede that your memory is not 100% reliable?

Note: Nobodies memory is 100% reliable.
People here keep telling me that memories change, but if you read back years to the original time I told the story of my lottery win somewhere on this forum, you will find the quotations of the voice I heard are the same. I remember some things well enough.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 24th February 2017, 11:31 AM   #358
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

People here keep telling me that memories change, but if you read back years to the original time I told the story of my lottery win somewhere on this forum, you will find the quotations of the voice I heard are the same. I remember some things well enough.
Here is the first time I can find you told the story:
Quote:
I was given a five number lottery win by telepathy from the spirit world in 1998. They gave me the numbers a few days before the draw. I won just enough money to buy a good computer, and to pay off my credit card. But no more than I needed. Nor have the spirit world ever given me another win since then. Because it would be bad karma to cheat the lottery just to get rich. But I know they did it on that occasion because they wanted me to have a computer to write this kind of thing. Among other things it also shows that some spirits can see into the future.
Nothing about a voice saying "Help is coming from and unexpected source"- in fact, in your original telling, the "spirits" gave you the numbers directly rather than just being a presence that guided you in picking numbers.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2017, 11:58 AM   #359
Scorpion
Muse

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Here is the first time I can find you told the story:

Nothing about a voice saying "Help is coming from and unexpected source"- in fact, in your original telling, the "spirits" gave you the numbers directly rather than just being a presence that guided you in picking numbers.
That's not the first time I have told the story, that's an abbreviated version. I remember telling about the voices in my head ages ago, and I said the same as I did in my recent post.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 24th February 2017, 12:09 PM   #360
trustbutverify
Philosopher

That's not the first time I have told the story, that's an abbreviated version. I remember telling about the voices in my head ages ago, and I said the same as I did in my recent post.
No, the stories are different. And still no word on the unlikely (now defunct) "North Korean Forum" you supposedly posted on. I am beginning to think you make things up.

Wollen owns the stage

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal