ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th February 2017, 05:48 PM   #1
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Heaven's Gate (The "bottomless well of human gullibility" asserts itself)

I just found out it's still alive and kicking unlike some of the past members.
For those too young to know about this cult or have forgotten it here's some information.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven...eligious_group)
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2017, 05:51 PM   #2
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

Oh yeah. The two guys were left behind on purpose to continue to maintain a cyber presence. They both look forward to joining their leader when they die.

Do not pretend I support your argument and do not PM me.
- Nick Terry
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2017, 06:27 PM   #3
Whip
Muse

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Oh yeah. The two guys were left behind on purpose to continue to maintain a cyber presence. They both look forward to joining their leader when they die.
they could be there already if they are that anxious. just sayin' seems a lack of true commitment to me.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2017, 07:20 PM   #4
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

They have a page on the website about suicide.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2017, 07:25 PM   #5
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

I thought you had to kill yourself when the spaceship was behind the comet and near Earth?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2017, 07:29 PM   #6
TheGoldcountry
Illuminator

I remember when this was big news. I had a co-worker who refused to watch him on TV because she was afraid he would brainwash her.
Old 20th February 2017, 07:54 PM   #7
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

I first heard about those ****ers in 1975, when I was 18 years old.

People were giving-away their possessions to follow a bunch of UFO kooks to Colorado in order to beam-up to the mothership.

Uneducated and nave as I was, I gave them the benefit of the doubt.
Old 20th February 2017, 07:57 PM   #8
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I thought you had to kill yourself when the spaceship was behind the comet and near Earth?
I find myself both unclear on the exact rules and unwilling to expend even the slightest effort to find out.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2017, 11:48 PM   #9
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

I used to do appraisals in their Rancho Santa Fe neighborhood. It was always on my mind as I drove to boring rich people's boring homes. I always associate it with Sammy Sosa and Mark McGuire's home run race
Old 21st February 2017, 08:19 AM   #10
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
they could be there already if they are that anxious. just sayin' seems a lack of true commitment to me.

You joke, but they consider their sacrifice in staying here to be the "true" commitment. They were both very upset when they were asked not to kill themselves.

The things people are willing to believe just to avoid confronting the fleeting nature of life always amaze me.

Do not pretend I support your argument and do not PM me.
- Nick Terry
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2017, 10:50 AM   #11
TripleScorp
New Blood

I don't know, to me Heaven's Gate = death penalty and many other organized religions = life imprisonment. I'd rather be under the purple sheet floating with my poison cocktail into the great beyond than cleaning toilets at the Scientology Celebrity Welcome Center.
TripleScorp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2017, 12:36 PM   #12
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
I remember when this was big news. I had a co-worker who refused to watch him on TV because she was afraid he would brainwash her.
I feel the same way about the Jeremy Kyle Show.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2017, 10:40 AM   #13
TripleScorp
New Blood

I went to a show on Valentine's Day by a band called Drab Majesty that did some sort of Heaven's Gate concept album.
TripleScorp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2017, 01:27 PM   #14
PursuedByABear
Scholar

I thought this thread was going to be about people who paid to see the movie.
PursuedByABear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2017, 01:51 PM   #15
ahhell
Scholar

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
As I recall there was one guy who survived and continued to operate the cults website and preach the word.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2017, 03:46 PM   #16
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
As I recall there was one guy who survived and continued to operate the cults website and preach the word.
You're proably thinking of Rio DiAngelo/Richard Ford.

While the Rancho Santa Fe location was the headquarters, it's important to point out that HG was an international organization. Estimates are that the 39 dead from the probably represented less than half of the membership, although possibly almost all of of the US membership.

I think I recall an author talking about meeting some of the surviving members in the early 2000s. Was it Jon Ronson in Them? They were unable to order a pizza, he had to "decree" the toppings to move the dinner forward.

One complication with estimating how many members were active in 1996 is that after Applewhite's death, many ex-members came forward to make a claim to inherit the properties - real and intellectual.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal