ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th March 2017, 09:39 AM   #121
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
The problem with that is it is not a scientific theory nor is it a testable scientific hypothesis!!!!
To be fair, consciousness itself has no supporting scientific evidence. There's nothing wrong with logical speculation in this field, because without that we'd be forced to deny that consciousness even exists.
Old 8th March 2017, 09:41 AM   #122
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
What do you want? A world of acceptics?

Can no one resist premature conclusions? Can no one challenge assumptions? Must every whim of art be granted taxonomy among the sciences?

Such a society would include everything by erasing distinctions; thus it would exclude everything.

Why, soon it will be found that psychic vibrations can replace the Internet and your pallid botherings will wink out.

Please respond in prayer.
I am so very much stealing "borrowing" this.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2017, 09:54 AM   #123
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by baron View Post
To be fair, consciousness itself has no supporting scientific evidence. There's nothing wrong with logical speculation in this field, because without that we'd be forced to deny that consciousness even exists.
No problem with speculation as long as speculation with no evidence/proof is not intentionally or accidently accorded the level of hypothesis or Law.

I would also not worry as much if this were not a common problem and a source of much misunderstanding!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2017, 12:38 PM   #124
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
No problem with speculation as long as speculation with no evidence/proof is not intentionally or accidently accorded the level of hypothesis or Law.

I would also not worry as much if this were not a common problem and a source of much misunderstanding!!!
Part of the problem is that people want to sell books and they believe, rightly or wrongly, that stating speculation as fact (as in, "I have the answer!") will help them do this. Both 'sides' - the materialists and the quantum crowd - are as guilty as each other in this respect.
Old 8th March 2017, 01:10 PM   #125
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
I am so very much stealing "borrowing" this.
There can be no better home for it.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2017, 04:24 AM   #126
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

I actually had a similar debate on this topic, about the existence of real magic so I have a ready answer already. If magic was real and had reliable effects on the real world than, yes, magic would necessarily have to be natural and subject to natural laws. The same for any other potentially 'supernatural' object or phenomena. There would be no other logical conclusion.
Old 13th March 2017, 07:20 AM   #127
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by baron View Post
To be fair, consciousness itself has no supporting scientific evidence.
What do you mean?
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal